Who, with me, believes we can win the premier league?

Tarrou

We’ll do really well to get 70 points and fourth

there are loads of issues still, but we’re improving

if we get within 20 points of city I’ll be surprised

redmanx

Here's a thing though. As absurd as it is: If we should beat Arsenal tomorrow, we'll be 3 points off the top. And will have had a better start than most of our main competitors. Better than City, Liverpool and Chelsea, about as good as Arsenal and almost as good as Spurs.

Because after 6 games, you have to take into account the quality of the opposition teams have faced. On that basis, arguably no team in the league has had a worse start (ie dropped more bad points) than Chelsea and Liverpool. City has dropped 4 points they definitely should not have been dropping. Arsenal must and should expect at least a point at Trafford, and while they have won their first 5 games, none of them have been against teams they should drop points against. We've dropped 6 bad points of course, but then again we'd have beaten Liverpool (and Arsenal, in this scenario). Of the big 6, only Spurs have gotten the points they should.

My answer to OP is obviously still no, but just saying....our strongest competitors in the big 6 have had a really bad start, worse in fact than ours. And worse than the league table alone says. There's more of an opportunity here to do well than we had any right to hope for.
Winning the Prem is unlikely this season, but we have to believe its possible and hope the players feel the same. If we're still in with a shout in March, who knows? Unlikely yes, but what an achievment it would be!

kirk buttercup

I do think we can win it . Will we ? Probably not. ETH is making us a team and I believe we will win the league with him at the helm , I like the signings and I believe we are progressing. I think other teams are not looking that good at the moment and no one is really setting it on fire so why not? It's a beautiful thing to have hope.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What I do know is that if we finish above either City, Liverpool or Chelsea there will be a number of posters on here making excuses for them and explaining why it sort of doesn’t count because something or another they had injuries, they had a stadium ban or their kits were too shite this year.

lex talionis

Comrades, this is not our season to lift a major trophy. Mathematically are we still it it? Yes. Have we strung three wins together yes? Would we all be spraying jizz should we beat Arsenal tomorrow? Yes. But even with a win over Arsenal tomorrow there’s just enough in our arsenal to allow us to believe we can overcome a substantially superior side in City.

RetroStu

We shouldnt even be talking like this, even if you believe its true. Top 4 is, and should be, the target. Anything above that is a huge bonus.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What I do know is that if we finish above either City, Liverpool or Chelsea there will be a number of posters on here making excuses for them and explaining why it sort of doesn’t count because something or another they had injuries, they had a stadium ban or their kits were too shite this year.
If we finish above City, we would be the Champions. I just don't see it.

lsd

The Oracle
I mean ok it would be kind of cool to win the Premiership but it is like one trophy.

Are we really that desperate now that people would be happy to win just one trophy?

That means we lose three other ones. I can't be happy with 25% success in a season

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We won't have the consistency to do it and when it's all said and done I still think city will have a relatively easy run to it.

wangyu

It is refreshing to see some positivity. It is like we are part of a hive mind. I see positivity in most players’ body language, I am not surprised it is rubbing off on some of us supporters.
We need to keep this, it is vital for a good season.
The game tomorrow is huge I expect a good positive performance.

As for the actual question, yes it is possible, if we hang on, if we stay close to the top you can be damn sure we all will start to believe in it. And then anything is possible.

What has changed compared with former seasons? It is very easy to answer, we now have a coach who makes big decisions and he is not scared of how it will impact the team and fans. He dropped Maguire and Ronaldo… I find that mind blowing in a positive way. This decision has turned the players’ heads, it is noticeable on the pitch.

I did not think this was possible in just a few months.

NLunited

No I think results will be more up and down than the run of three suggests.

I think we will fight every game and hopefully challenge for top four.

mav_9me

There is a difference between positivity and getting carried away. We dont have a reliable striker and our forwards include slightly limited Elanga, 37 y/o Ronaldo, out of form Rashford, injury prone Martial. Only 2 dependables are Sancho and Antony (who is starting out here).

Problem with this type of thread is when we hit a rough patch, the pendulum will swing the other way.

The Purley King

We are miles away from city.
Depending on how things go we could finish second.
Liverpool- missing a midfield and even when players come back they look disjointed up front and Nunez is a big question mark
Chelsea - missing a centre forward and don’t seem to have a defined plan at the moment
Spurs - look decent, have a manager who knows what he is doing. Formidable attack if son gets back firing again. Best of the rest maybe
Arsenal - started well but have had a very easy start fixtures wise. Today will be a big pointer for them but I still feel they will fade away when injuries bite

second is realistically the best we can hope for but I’d be happy with top4

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Too many factors speak against it. Lets first improve where we have to and take step by step.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
My prediction is third. But hey, full marks for optimal optimism

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
City know what they’re doing. It will be stroll to the title for them this year and strolling is what they’re doing. When they need to go up a gear, they will. A couple of early slip ups but the treble/quadruple talk will start soon enough.

Arsenal could beat us and open up a four point gap today and they still aren’t anywhere near being title contenders.

If you removed City, it would be a much more interesting season with maybe five clubs in with a shout.

El Zoido

We’ll be doing well for top four. Let’s see how we do once Varane is injured and Maguire is back in. Squad rotation will be an issue because our squad depth isn’t great. It’s a long season.

Shiva87

Win tomorrow and we're 3 points behind :nervous:
2 I think. But it's too early in the season to look at points difference. We are nowhere close to a title winning side.

If we can keep pace till March (unlikely) then we have a chance, I guess. Looks very difficult at this point.

The1974s

The person who created this thread will be the same person going batshit crazy in a few weeks time if United lose a few games.
Let's try to enjoy Ten Hags football and watch him build a team without getting carried away and starting such ridiculous threads .
If we beat Arsenal today then we can be happy but its going to be a tough ask .
My opinion on can we win the league is of course we can't but we can push for a top 4 for sure .

justsomebloke

There is a difference between positivity and getting carried away. We dont have a reliable striker and our forwards include slightly limited Elanga, 37 y/o Ronaldo, out of form Rashford, injury prone Martial. Only 2 dependables are Sancho and Antony (who is starting out here).

Problem with this type of thread is when we hit a rough patch, the pendulum will swing the other way.
If we can call a player without a single game for United yet "a dependable". And I think you're right. My prediction for United's finish is still sixth. However; the weak start that especially Chelsea and Liverpool has had does leave us with more opportunity (to do better than sixth, at least) than I thought we'd have at this point. Maybe in another month all that will have evaporated again, but right now, the stars are aligning to support a tentative basis for mad hope. So let's not get carried away, but at the same time let's enjoy that while it lasts. :D

Rossa

Dry pitches and wind, mate.

Red Rash

I think there is almost no chance of is winning the league. We are getting better but still the performances aren't amazing and we are still lacking in a few positions.

Man City will probably win the league this season and I'd expect Liverpool to eventually hit some form. Realistically I think top four would be a good season for us to build on for next year

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
People forget there are Maguires and Shaws to come back into this team when the schedule gets really busy.
Plus there isn't squad depth elsewhere AND the first 11 still has a ways to go to become a top team again.

Progress in the right direction would be great and a real bonus would be a cup win

justsomebloke

People forget there are Maguires and Shaws to come back into this team when the schedule gets really busy.
Plus there isn't squad depth elsewhere AND the first 11 still has a ways to go to become a top team again.

Progress in the right direction would be great and a real bonus would be a cup win
Not to mention that we haven't yet played our first XI. Or at least I'm really really hoping that we haven't. I'd assume that XI would include Casemiro and at least one of Antony and Martial, and that it won't include Elanga and McTominay.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Don't be silly.

We need a proper striker and scholes type midfielder before we can even challenge.

City have haaland, dippers have nunez (call him a donkey all you want but he's still miles better than rashford), chelsea have sterling, arsenal have jesus, spurs have kane and who do we have ????????

El-Manos

We shouldnt even be talking like this, even if you believe its true. Top 4 is, and should be, the target. Anything above that is a huge bonus.
Agreed. I want to see this team gradually progress playing good football

brewers

Think top four and maybe a cup this season , would really like europa.

Chip

From the relegation thread to this in the space of three games, and none of the wins have been commanding. This fecking place.

shaky

Count me in. Far more unlikely things have happened in football, so we definitely can win the league this year. Will we? Probably not. No harm in being optimistic though.

Zen86

It’s possible we can challenge but obviously very unlikely, it’s City’s to lose this year. I think we can certainly challenge for 2nd place though, the best of the rest trophy.