Who's been our best ever number 2?

acnumber9

Is it really that easy though? Just wondering.. the same "low level" teams which De Gea couldn't get clean sheets from, even with our better defenders playing.
Which teams are you referring to? They haven’t played the same low level teams have they? The only decent team that Romero has kept a clean sheet against this season was Wolves. De Gea kept a clean sheet against them too.

Romero hasn’t been a number 1 anywhere for about 8 years. Why do you think that is?

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Romero as he has also played in a WC Final. He has won the EL too.

Web of Bissaka

Which teams are you referring to? They haven’t played the same low level teams have they? The only decent team that Romero has kept a clean sheet against this season was Wolves. De Gea kept a clean sheet against them too.

Romero hasn’t been a number 1 anywhere for about 8 years. Why do you think that is?
Argentina Number 1 no? (top 10 most capped is freaky).
Can't comment on club levels, don't know the contexts of all the different stories at each club. If I have to speculate, it's due to his personality... easy for managers to drop him to No.2 in favor of other keeper who will kick a fuse if dropped and make problems being ego demanding to play.

Using only one season (the most recent one) as a sample is limited. Using all the past seasons since Romero joined 15/16 (so both him and De Gea are playing with the same teammates) will yield better data. Additionally the EL teams they faced.

Just compare the (1) PL teams they faced (De Gea mostly in PL but some in cups and Romero mostly in cups). Mid table decent teams, lower mid-table teams and low level teams almost always don't rest their players in cup games so full strength. Usually-but-not-always the top teams will play their 2nd fiddles. And also compare (2) the Europa League teams they faced.

Romero's record overall seems to be better against those type/levels of teams.

Interestingly, Romero's records vs the PL top teams (albeit very few games in comparison) is surprisingly good.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I just hate Kuszcack, so anyone else is a good shout

Blood Mage

Lindegaard was great for a while until De Gea reached god mode then he disappeared into oblivion.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Is it really that easy though? Just wondering.. the same "low level" teams which De Gea couldn't get clean sheets from, even with our better defenders playing.
He didn’t face a single shot on target in over half our Europa League matches. So yes, it’s really that easy. And De Gea would have also got clean sheets, especially as De Gea is far better than him.

acnumber9

Argentina Number 1 no? (top 10 most capped is freaky).
Can't comment on club levels, don't know the contexts of all the different stories at each club. If I have to speculate, it's due to his personality... easy for managers to drop him to No.2 in favor of other keeper who will kick a fuse if dropped and make problems being ego demanding to play.

Using only one season (the most recent one) as a sample is limited. Using all the past seasons since Romero joined 15/16 (so both him and De Gea are playing with the same teammates) will yield better data. Additionally the EL teams they faced.

Just compare the (1) PL teams they faced (De Gea mostly in PL but some in cups and Romero mostly in cups). Mid table decent teams, lower mid-table teams and low level teams almost always don't rest their players in cup games so full strength. Usually-but-not-always the top teams will play their 2nd fiddles. And also compare (2) the Europa League teams they faced.

Romero's record overall seems to be better against those type/levels of teams.

Interestingly, Romero's records vs the PL top teams (albeit very few games in comparison) is surprisingly good.
Romero has kept a clean sheet against against Wolves twice, Chelsea once and Spurs once. The only other top team he’s kept a clean sheet against is Ajax. He’s played 26 games in domestic cups, 17 of them against lower league opposition. He’s kept clean sheets 10 times. De Gea has played a grand total of 5 games against lower league teams and kept 3 clean sheets. They aren’t playing at even close to the same level of teams so I don’t see how you’ve to your conclusion.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Off topic, but I just realized how consistent Argentina are in their inability to produce top class keepers.

I have been following football since around 1997 and their goalkeepers during that time included Roa, Abbondanzieri, Andujar and Romero. Cannot come up with another example of such a strong footballing nation having such mediocre keepers for an extended period of time.

Ibi Dreams

Off topic, but I just realized how consistent Argentina are in their inability to produce top class keepers.

I have been following football since around 1997 and their goalkeepers during that time included Roa, Abbondanzieri, Andujar and Romero. Cannot come up with another example of such a strong footballing nation having such mediocre keepers for an extended period of time.
To be honest England haven't really had a top quality keeper since Seaman and we've had some pretty crap ones in that time. Though not sure we qualify as a strong footballing nation :lol:

Red_toad

Lindegaard was very highly rated when he was here.
Yeah he had a fanboi thing going on. Apparently he was better than Dave. Glad I was never on that train of thought.
On thread Les Sealey, crazy and brilliant. What a character.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Totally misunderstood the thread title and thought this was going to be a Neville vs Raphael vs Lindeloff style thread over the assigned squad number :D

Jev

I think people are overrating Romero. Honestly don't think he's done anything spectacular to warrant this tag as the best no. 2 in the league/world. That said, out of that list he was probably the best.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I love this :lol:

No, that was because he was not as good as the competition.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Van Der Gouw for me. He's the one who never felt like a significant downgrade to our #1 whenever he played. Obviously Schmeichel was much better (than anyone!) but I never felt nervous about VDG playing as he was very capable. Romero has been an excellent #2 for us, but if he starts in a big game, I'm a bit nervy about him (though I feel the same about DDG now too, but that's a different conversation).

Both of them are solid options though, in that little niche of probably being a little bit too good to be a #2, but not quite good enough to be a #1 without dropping down a level. I'm amazed Romero was the Argentina #1 for so long, as he's not been a first choice keeper domestically since 12/13, and only has 6 seasons of being one in his career (4 at AZ and 2 at Sampdoria)

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did we only start playing in 1996?

I don’t think there’s much dispute from that list is there? Van der Gouw was a very decent back up.
He literally wrote “in my time”

Actually read the post before you send a snotty message.

Honestly, in my lifetime id probably say Romero, as mad as that may sound. I feel like the drop off between prime DDG & Romero was smaller than the drop off between Schmeichel & VDG.

acnumber9

I love this :lol:

No, that was because he was not as good as the competition.
My favourite part is where it’s suggested that David De Gea is lucky he’s been facing the likes of Man City and Liverpool all these years instead of Yeovil, Tranmere and FC Copenhagen.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Very revisionist in here.

Romero has been an excellent no2, and could be no1 for most premier League sides including us.

There was a period of time where lindegaard was better than De Gea IMO, but there's reason for that. Obviously De Gea turned out the better keeper.

My money's on Romero or VdG.

He literally wrote “in my time”

Actually read the post before you send a snotty message.

Honestly, in my lifetime id probably say Romero, as mad as that may sound. I feel like the drop off between prime DDG & Romero was smaller than the drop off between Schmeichel & VDG.
Thanks for weighing in. Unfortunately you are one of the worst posters on this forum.

Foxbatt

Didn't Roy Carrol make the best save ever by any keeper and certainly the best by a United keeper?

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
With the news that it looks like the best number 2 in the world is leaving the club a look back at who else is in with a shout of being our best ever number 2. In my time the contenders have been;

1996-2002 Raymond van der Gouw
2001-2005 Roy Carroll - though he was clearly undisputed number 1 for a period as well
2006-2012 Tomasz Kuszczak - or PIG as he was so often known as
2010-2015 Anders Lindegaard
2015-2020 Sergio Romero

It's actually not even in doubt that Romero has been our best ever is it?

I haven't included Howard or Foster as they never really had the role of a number 2 for any real period of time
Victor Valdes?

HJ12

Van Der Gouw. Such a calm, composed keeper. Was Gary Bailey number #1 or #2?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

He has spent 7 of those at United. De Gea has been top draw in almost 6 of them

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Still has one of the best saves in the P.L history when he played for WBA. Maybe the best!
Nah. Those sort of saves aren’t incredible to me. Yes he did well to get across but it’s just like a really good block - you know where the attacker is going to shoot. See lads do that shit all the time in 5 aside

Plus he fecked our chances of a second treble

Negative Red

Van Der Gouw for me, although I have a soft spot for Les Sealey. The Cup WInners Cup Final is the first game I remember watching as a child.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I liked PIG until that Portsmouth game where he gave away the penalty. Romero is a shout, VDG...we’ve always had decent enough back-ups.

Acole9

Outstanding
Roy Carroll is being let off lightly in this thread. I'll never forget how bad he was in that penalty shootout in the 2005 FA Cup final.