Who's the best coach/manager in the world right now?

Infra-red

Guardiola remains at the top.

Below him, there's a group of very good managers including Conte, Klopp, Flick and Simeone.

Zidane's achievements cannot be ignored, but I've never found any of his sides to be particularly impressive/well coached. Ditto Ancelotti (in the last 14 years, anyway). I think they are actually both cut from the same cloth in terms of coaching styles.

Rose, Pochettino, Ten Hag, Tuchel and, in particular, Nagelsmann obviously have a lot of potential. Some are already in big jobs - you'd expect all of them to be at top clubs within the next 18 months.

Raven

Biased obviously but can't believe more people aren't putting Tuchel higher. The job he's done at Chelsea has been miraculous, especially given the lack of time available for training. Surely he's ahead of the likes of Bielsa, Nagelsmann, Ten Haag, and Rodgers to name a few. 2 goals conceded in 14 games is ridiculous, and even more so for a mid-season appointment.
What an embarrassing comment :lol:

Best in the world Klopp. Turned Liverpool into European champions, won the league, finish 2nd on 99 points. Don’t think Pep would have achieved the same if he took over that Liverpool side and with the same budget.

Rose, Pochettino, Ten Hag, Tuchel and, in ?particular, Nagelsmann obviously have a lot of potential. Some are already in big jobs - you'd expect all of them to be at top clubs within the next 18 months.
Tuchel is at a top job with very high expectations and sadly even higher than at United, if he does well at his current job it will mean Chelsea becoming league winner and major challengers for the CL.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Some Dortmund fans I know rate Tuchel's Dortmund higher than Klopp's. To the obvious "Klopp won a couple of things in Germany whereas Tuchel didn't" they came back with "Klopp was competing with van Gaal's team, Tuchel was going against Pep"

I don't fully buy it, but then again I don't follow BVB as closely. I think he's a great tactician that's fore sure.
Think there's some truth to that. Tuchel did get Mainz to heights Klopp never did and might have done the same at BVB were it not for Pep's juggernaut (fueled hugely by Lewandowski).

What an embarrassing comment :lol:
Care to elaborate? You're the only person who's responded to me who's reacted negatively so I'm curious as to your perspective.

meamth

Biased obviously but can't believe more people aren't putting Ole higher. The job he's done at United has been miraculous, especially given the lack of time available for training. Surely he's ahead of the likes of Bielsa, Nagelsmann, Ten Haag, and Rodgers to name a few. 14 out of 19 matches won...beaten Tuchel at Paris...
The same can be applied to Ole when he first appointed. New manager syndrome does exist, you know.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Think there's some truth to that. Tuchel did get Mainz to heights Klopp never did and might have done the same at BVB were it not for Pep's juggernaut (fueled hugely by Lewandowski).

Care to elaborate? You're the only person who's responded to me who's reacted negatively so I'm curious as to your perspective.
This thread is about who's the best coach at the moment.

And that's pep. Or klopp at a stretch.

Tuchel should not be on this list. He played a good football but so does brendan rodgers.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
This thread is about who's the best coach at the moment.

And that's pep. Or klopp at a stretch.

Tuchel should not be on this list. He played a good football but so does brendan rodgers.
I'm not arguing that Tuchel deserves to be above Pep or Klopp. I've just seen names like Ten Haag, Bielsa, Nagelsmann, etc. thrown around in this thread ahead of Tuchel and that's where I take issue.

I'm not arguing that Tuchel deserves to be above Pep or Klopp. I've just seen names like Ten Haag, Bielsa, Nagelsmann, etc. thrown around in this thread ahead of Tuchel and that's where I take issue.
Biesla’s first season at Leeds. Took a team that finished 14th, in one summer transformed their style of play and, if not for sportsmanship, would have been promoted at the first attempt, all without spending much or make huge additions. The perfect example of what coaching can do. Based on that I’d see why he’d get rated above Tunchel, but I also see why others would rate Tunchel higher.

The others are probably more about people’s belief in what they could achieve.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Biesla’s first season at Leeds. Took a team that finished 14th, in one summer transformed their style of play and, if not for sportsmanship, would have been promoted at the first attempt, all without spending much or make huge additions. The perfect example of what coaching can do. Based on that I’d see why he’d get rated above Tunchel, but I also see why others would rate Tunchel higher.

The others are probably more about people’s belief in what they could achieve.
Sure, and I'm not trying to disparage what other managers have accomplished. I just find it odd that Tuchel has been overlooked for the most part in this thread despite his CV and now recent evidence that he's managed to turn Chelsea around practically overnight.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Can’t decide on the order but for me it’s...

Mourinho
Moyes
Van Gaal
Ole Gunnar Solksjaer
Ryan Giggs

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I lumped them all in "hypster's choice" until they're proven otherwise.

It's a boring question but at the moment it's Pep and that's that.

RashyForPM

Only two managers in history have won a sextuple - Pep and Flick. Zidane has a claim too because he won 3 CL trophies in a row. People call him overrated but no manager in history bar the previous Real one in the 1950s has matched him, so he’s clearly not overrated. Many have had better teams too.

I’d go:

1) Flick
2) Pep
3) Zidane

Flick is ahead of Pep because his sextuple was more recent, and because I find Bayern’s football easier on the eye with players of similar quality to City’s.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Spin this on its head, how would a Pep, Klopp, OGS, Rodgers, Flick, Poch, Zidane, Allegri, Simeone etc get on at Sheffield United or Burnley?

It’s difficult to say who’s the best Manager, as surely each has different cultures and how they want teams to play.

Could you see a Pep playing the free flowing football he has had with Barca, Bayern and Man City at Sheffield United? Surely someone like Simeone would be better suited to that? Incidentally, I think Simeone would struggle at a club like Arsenal, as they don’t have that grit about them.

All this can be rectified in the long term, however most Managers / Head coaches don’t get 4 - 5 years now to overhaul a squad into the style they want. Most inherit a team of players that was built by the previous of 3 or 4 Managers.

As for Pep, yes, the team looks good. However he’s struggled to find an Aguerro replacement. He’s spent a boat load on players and you’d argue he had to get it right. Klopp has struggled this season as he’s not had the players to play his pressing style, so it’ll be interesting if they can rejuvenate themselves next year.

BlackShark_80

Top 3:
1. Guardiola
2. Klopp
3. Flick
If Tuchel managed to win both CL and FA Cup, he would be in Top 5.

keithsingleton

Sure, and I'm not trying to disparage what other managers have accomplished. I just find it odd that Tuchel has been overlooked for the most part in this thread despite his CV and now recent evidence that he's managed to turn Chelsea around practically overnight.
Quite remarkable that Tuchel has turned the club around so quickly. Basically made fat frank look well out of his league in the Premier League. He deserves to be on the list that's for sure. Early days though and pretty frightening what he's done so far.

If he goes on to win the CL in such a short space of time it would be arguably one of the best achievements from a manager that has been in charge of a club for 10 mins.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Spin this on its head, how would a Pep, Klopp, OGS, Rodgers, Flick, Poch, Zidane, Allegri, Simeone etc get on at Sheffield United or Burnley?

It’s difficult to say who’s the best Manager, as surely each has different cultures and how they want teams to play.

Could you see a Pep playing the free flowing football he has had with Barca, Bayern and Man City at Sheffield United? Surely someone like Simeone would be better suited to that? Incidentally, I think Simeone would struggle at a club like Arsenal, as they don’t have that grit about them.

All this can be rectified in the long term, however most Managers / Head coaches don’t get 4 - 5 years now to overhaul a squad into the style they want. Most inherit a team of players that was built by the previous of 3 or 4 Managers.

As for Pep, yes, the team looks good. However he’s struggled to find an Aguerro replacement. He’s spent a boat load on players and you’d argue he had to get it right. Klopp has struggled this season as he’s not had the players to play his pressing style, so it’ll be interesting if they can rejuvenate themselves next year.
Why does this matter?

I promise you that no one important will look at Klopp's "resume" and think, "well what here says you can bring Accrington Stanley up to the PL?".

And what is so hard about how Burnley play? Is brexit football hard to coach? Any coach can teach players to run and hoof and play the percentages.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Best in the world Klopp. Turned Liverpool into European champions, won the league, finish 2nd on 99 points. Don’t think Pep would have achieved the same if he took over that Liverpool side and with the same budget.
Pure speculation. You have no way of knowing whether this is true or not. And with Klopp’s Liverpool falling off a cliff this season (mirroring the Dortmund decline), there is absolutely no way he is number one.

You can argue that Klopp won the CL a couple of years ago, but Pep already has 2, and that’s as many or more than the vast majority of great managers in history (as I’ve often pointed out on this board) Winning the European Cup is very hard, especially with multiple clubs

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Guardiola, because he can create the most dominant football machines

Klopp, because he can compete with Guardiola or even best him in the CL on more reasonable funding.

Nagelsmann as the "imagine what he could do at a bigger club" candidate.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Hard to say. Guardiola obviously has a financial advantage over everyone else, but at the end of the day he's probably still on at the moment.
2. Klopp despite Liverpool's demise this season I'd still rank him the 2nd best in the world.
3. Flick, might win another treble this season.
4. Nagelsmann, has Leipzig punching above their weight which is always the sign of a great manager.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Some Dortmund fans I know rate Tuchel's Dortmund higher than Klopp's. To the obvious "Klopp won a couple of things in Germany whereas Tuchel didn't" they came back with "Klopp was competing with van Gaal's team, Tuchel was going against Pep"

I don't fully buy it, but then again I don't follow BVB as closely. I think he's a great tactician that's fore sure.
There is some truth to it. Klopp startet when BVB was on a quite low level, so his improvement of the team from relegation candidate to title winners was extremely impressive. But then Bayern stepped up their game under Heynckes and Pep and he could not follow.

Tuchel on the other hand won a DFB Pokal while kicking out Pep's Bayern in the semi-final - so he did win Dortmund their so far last title, it is not true that he did not win anything with them. So yes, his Dortmund team was able to win titles against Pep and it is safe to argue that this could have been a stronger team than Klopp's Dortmund.

When we are looking at the status right now I also say Tuchel is better than Klopp. How he stabilized Chelsea is just impressive while Liverpool still is in free fall. But best in the world? I don't think so, he has to prove that he can win something meaningful with that team.

Pep for sure also is not the best coach in the world - he is a very good one who builds teams that can steamroll most of their opponents but he is now going out for a decade out of the CL due to stupid tactical mistakes.

Currently I think I also would go with Flick - the turnaround he did with Bayern and especially what they are doing in the CL in the last 1 1/2 years is just impressive.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Allegri is being forgotten a bit because he's been out the game for nearly two years now but he's still up there.

Pure speculation. You have no way of knowing whether this is true or not. And with Klopp’s Liverpool falling off a cliff this season (mirroring the Dortmund decline), there is absolutely no way he is number one.

You can argue that Klopp won the CL a couple of years ago, but Pep already has 2, and that’s as many or more than the vast majority of great managers in history (as I’ve often pointed out on this board) Winning the European Cup is very hard, especially with multiple clubs
While Pep’s Barca team were great and historic. I think it’s telling that Barca won the CL with both Rikaard and Enrique as managers, and Pep has not had European success or been to a final at either Bayern or City. Whereas Klopp having won the league with Dortmund and taken them to a CL final, repeated it with Liverpool and went one step further.

Also. Klopp was at Dortmund 8 years

Last edited:

Chief123

Why no Erik Ten Hag? Going to end top for 3 seasons in a row, his team plays great football, even in Europe after his best players all got sold. Defensively sound team, Attackingly free flowing, tactically great and his team play according to an actual system. Patterns of play. He is a bit of a weird chap, not as charismatic as our previous managers but tactically better than all combined. Our only shot at a good manager I'd say.

Ole should be nowhere near this list, not even a top 10 PL manager. He is lucky to inherit such a squad and have such funds, but tactically he's pretty horrible and I doubt any topclub would want him.
Farmers league.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
"right now"

Klopp is a mile behind a ridiculed United right now. Klopp is a mile behind Leicester right now. He's behind Chelsea who sacked their underperforming manager mid-season. He's behind bloody West Ham led by David fecking Moyes. He's behind a Tottenham in such a turmoil that the resident Spurs supporter has been hiding in India for the past few months.

Klopp isn't the best manager in the world right now.
Liverpool's bad form doesn't change the fact that I would still take Klopp right now. He didn't become a bad coach over night, there are lot of factors for Liverpool's poor season. I remember all those threads and posts against Pep when they had a bad run, now everyone has him in his top 3 here ( rightly).

If Klopp , Ole , Moyes are on the market RIGHT NOW, out of 100 experts you ask, 100 will choose Klopp.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Biased obviously but can't believe more people aren't putting Tuchel higher. The job he's done at Chelsea has been miraculous, especially given the lack of time available for training. Surely he's ahead of the likes of Bielsa, Nagelsmann, Ten Haag, and Rodgers to name a few. 2 goals conceded in 14 games is ridiculous, and even more so for a mid-season appointment.
Tuchel's issue is sustainability in the long run. I also don't think that a couple of months, however good, are enough to significantly change one's opinion on the manager. He's still a shrewd tactician and a poor man-manager.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Hard to say. Guardiola obviously has a financial advantage over everyone else, but at the end of the day he's probably still on at the moment.
2. Klopp despite Liverpool's demise this season I'd still rank him the 2nd best in the world.
3. Flick, might win another treble this season.
4. Nagelsmann, has Leipzig punching above their weight which is always the sign of a great manager.
We already crashed out of the DFB cup to mighty Holstein Kiel.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
While Pep’s Barca team were great and historic. I think it’s telling that Barca won the CL with both Rikaard and Enrique as managers, and Pep has not had European success or been to a final at either Bayern or City. Whereas Klopp having won the league with Dortmund and taken them to a CL final, repeated it with Liverpool and went one step further.

Also. Klopp was at Dortmund 8 years
How is it telling? What does that mean?

Pep didn’t have European success at Bayern and so far has not at City. But he has 2 CLs under his belt with one of the greatest teams of all time and plenty of time to add more as he’s only 50 (Klopp is older and has been managing for a lot longer).

When it’s all said and done he could end up as the most decorated manager of all time in terms of total European trophies (he’s currently on 5, 2 behind Fergie, Ancelotti and Trapattoni).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Cowman of course. Haven't you seen Barca? They do the whole tiki taka thing again and Messi is even attacking the space now.

Also, some random 12 year olds from La Masia have made their first team debute.