Who's the best coach/manager in the world right now?

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
I would say Pep is the best by far at this moment.
Then it must be Klopp, at least for the time being.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Pep definitely.

Klopp is great. Tuchel has done fantastic since he has come.

Wouldnt have Zidane in my top 5. His second spell has showed he isn’t that great, with the resources they have, he should be dominating against the weakest Barcelona side in a long time.

Steve Bruce

One of Klopp, Nagelsmann, Pep

Dislike them as much you want, but Klopp and Pep stand for attractive and successful football.
Klopp hasn't played attractive football for the last 2 seasons.

His first few seasons was great to watch albeit not great that it was Liverpool

Steve Bruce

My choice too actually. He doesn't have the cache' of Pep or Klopp, but he was instrumental for Germany between 06-14 and his achievements at Bayern last year were surreal, considering Kovac left him with quite a mess.

Bayern City in the semis would be a great matchup for the neutrals (Mbappe/Neymar permitting)
I think it's flick & pep are the best 2 & the rest are a bit behind.

Flick doesn't get as much praise because he's not in the Premier league

Idxomer

I think it's flick & pep are the best 2 & the rest are a bit behind.

Flick doesn't get as much praise because he's not in the Premier league
I think it's because he stayed as an assistant manager for a long time and just returned as the main man less than 2 years ago.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hard to say. Guardiola obviously has a financial advantage over everyone else, but at the end of the day he's probably still on at the moment.
2. Klopp despite Liverpool's demise this season I'd still rank him the 2nd best in the world.
3. Flick, might win another treble this season.
4. Nagelsmann, has Leipzig punching above their weight which is always the sign of a great manager.
Number 3 wont be possible, Bayern already got eliminated from the cup by a lower division side

lysglimt

Scout
Why no Erik Ten Hag? Going to end top for 3 seasons in a row, his team plays great football, even in Europe after his best players all got sold. Defensively sound team, Attackingly free flowing, tactically great and his team play according to an actual system. Patterns of play. He is a bit of a weird chap, not as charismatic as our previous managers but tactically better than all combined. Our only shot at a good manager I'd say.

Ole should be nowhere near this list, not even a top 10 PL manager. He is lucky to inherit such a squad and have such funds, but tactically he's pretty horrible and I doubt any topclub would want him.
Lucky to inherit such a squad - the worst squad in 25 years at United ?

lysglimt

Scout
Well the actual question that was posed was which manager you’d take to be United’s manager if all of them were available.

I think the vast majority of fans, if they were being objective, would take Pep or Klopp.
And no one would take Klopp over Pep. I am not sure I would take Klopp over Brendan Rodgers right now.

How is it telling? What does that mean?

Pep didn’t have European success at Bayern and so far has not at City. But he has 2 CLs under his belt with one of the greatest teams of all time and plenty of time to add more as he’s only 50 (Klopp is older
It's a question worth asking but I'm not sure if we should give it that much importance. I mean, in any sport, the very best are suited to the highest level. Big Sam possible being better at 'saving' shit teams doesnt make him a better manager than Pep or Zidane, just suited to something different (a lower level, namely). I do think Pep's

It's also telling that Klopp failed to win the CL and won it only at Liverpool who have won 6 in their history with even Rafa managing to win one when they were crap. Clubs who have a history of winning these titles have an extra self belief an culture like Barcelona and Liverpool and unlike City and PSG for whom it's a mental block.
Funny you’d mention Rafa, under him Valencia won their first league title in 30 years. A bit of a contradiction on your point though, to hold Pep’s CL wins in such high regards while at the same time saying “but Klopp did it at Liverpool who have inner belief due to history “ same can be said about Pep he did it at a Barca team that had won it a year or two before he joined, and couldn’t even reach a final at Bayern who have a history of winning the thing.

FatTails

Based on achievements, potential, style of play, and a heavy dose of recency bias.

Pep
Flick
Tuchel
Klopp
Nagelsmann
Pocchettino
Zidane
Ancelotti
Conte

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Funny you’d mention Rafa, under him Valencia won their first league title in 30 years. A bit of a contradiction on your point though, to hold Pep’s CL wins in such high regards while at the same time saying “but Klopp did it at Liverpool who have inner belief due to history “ same can be said about Pep he did it at a Barca team that had won it a year or two before he joined, and couldn’t even reach a final at Bayern who have a history of winning the thing.
That was my point.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Pep, Klopp, Ole, Tuchel, Brandon, Mourinho, Ancelotti Allegri, Conte, Gasperini, Pioli, Flick, Rose, Nagelsmann, Zidane, Simeone, Poch, other?

If money and or past affiliation was not an issue, whom would you hire to run United?
Brendan Rodgers. He's up there in my books.

Brendan Rodgers. He's up there in my books.
Definitely... Leicester sold Maguire for £80m didn’t sign a replacement he still had them challenging for CL spot until lockdown ruined it. No excuses about needing signings just got on with it and exceeded expectations

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why would Rodgers be up there? Like at best he's doing what Nagelsmann has been doing basically every year, except he has nothing to show for in Europe.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Lucky to inherit such a squad - the worst squad in 25 years at United ?
Don't think that's true, think LvG had a worse squad and arguably Moyes as well. SAF could work with that squad, but there wasnt much left.

Also, it is lucky relative to his competition. He still has the 2nd most expensive squad in the league.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Think we can close this thread after last night. Answer's obvious, it's Frank de Bore.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Klopp, but he’s on a quickly declining pace with Pep on somewhat of a rise. Nagelsmann is in amongst a group of a few some distance after.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
"right now"

Klopp is a mile behind a ridiculed United right now. Klopp is a mile behind Leicester right now. He's behind Chelsea who sacked their underperforming manager mid-season. He's behind bloody West Ham led by David fecking Moyes. He's behind a Tottenham in such a turmoil that the resident Spurs supporter has been hiding in India for the past few months.

Klopp isn't the best manager in the world right now.
I think he must be German tbh. Klopp’s fallen off and Nagelsman gets found out far too often.

RUCK4444

Pep implements a system well but has to have elite players and a strong bench at his disposal.

Klopp is a level above in my opinion because not only does he implement his system very effectively he does so with average players and turns them into top level players.

The former demands quality players, the latter directly improves the quality of the players at his disposal. Which is key.

Though it pains me to say it

lysglimt

Scout
Don't think that's true, think LvG had a worse squad and arguably Moyes as well. SAF could work with that squad, but there wasnt much left.

Also, it is lucky relative to his competition. He still has the 2nd most expensive squad in the league.
He was lucky to get the United-job - no doubt. But to inherit a squad like that, in a club like ours was not lucky. I mean we had 10 players give or take who should have been nowhere near United - and 6-7 who are good footballers, but not good enough.

If OGS is fired or resigned in the summer - that person is lucky. He will inherit a good squad where a few quality players is enough to fight for the title. What OGS inherited lacked 8-9 players

RobertoBaggio99

Gonna have to say Klopp. Transformed Dortmund from a mid table side to back-to-back Bundesliga winners and CL finalists. Transformed Liverpool from a 6th place side to back-to-back CL finalists, CL winners, PL winners and 97pts runner-ups. Both tenures with an almost neutral net spend. No current top manager have made a similar impact on a team even once and he's done it twice.
2nd goes to Pep, master at making already dominant sides even more dominant, but with a net spend of 700m more than Klopp I don't think anyone really thinks he comes close.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp and Zinedine Zidane..this has been the case in the last 5 years.Hansi Flick and Thomas Tuchel are entering the conversation while Jose Mourinho and Carlo Ancelotti are out of it.

SeanyC

Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp and Zinedine Zidane..this has been the case in the last 5 years.Hansi Flick and Thomas Tuchel are entering the conversation while Jose Mourinho and Carlo Ancelotti are out of it.
Jose definitely out but I wouldn’t write off Carlo just yet, he’s not doing too bad at Everton, but needs a few more players. Can’t see him staying there long term though, he’ll want to take on a bigger job eventually

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He was lucky to get the United-job - no doubt. But to inherit a squad like that, in a club like ours was not lucky. I mean we had 10 players give or take who should have been nowhere near United - and 6-7 who are good footballers, but not good enough.

If OGS is fired or resigned in the summer - that person is lucky. He will inherit a good squad where a few quality players is enough to fight for the title. What OGS inherited lacked 8-9 players
But that wasn't really the point I was making, the squad wasn't wonderful that's true. But the squad is still a main reason why he is in the opportunity to finish second I'd say. Although United is second, I don't think it has been a very strong campaign from United, this year the top teams have been failing hard apart from City and credit to him that United hasn't failed like that domestically. I'd say United have the 3'rd XI in the league, and the 2'nd squad, so in terms of league position, 2nd is good, but because of the poor campaigns, United having a good campaign should have been further away from the other teams. But I can see why others would disagree.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Jose definitely out but I wouldn’t write off Carlo just yet, he’s not doing too bad at Everton, but needs a few more players. Can’t see him staying there long term though, he’ll want to take on a bigger job eventually
There is a reason why he's coaching Everton these days.

Makelele

Pep definitely.

Klopp is great. Tuchel has done fantastic since he has come.

Wouldnt have Zidane in my top 5. His second spell has showed he isn’t that great, with the resources they have, he should be dominating against the weakest Barcelona side in a long time.
In what way has his second spell showed he is not great? And what resources? This is the most frugal Real Madrid we have seen in years. This is also a Real Madrid team whose biggest stars are in the twilight of their careers It is a team going through a generational shift. If anything I am impressed with what he has achieved in his second spell. He has shown he can squeeze a lot from not very much. And when you factor in the injury list you have to be impressed not disappointed.

I feel these best manager lists are very simplistic. History has shown an incredibly strong correlation between spending (transfers+ wages) and success that you simply cannot ignore this aspect. Everybody will agree that Pep is a very good manager, but you cannot ignore the incredible investment that has been made into his teams. If you are going to judge managerial abilities, how can you not take that into consideration? Put it simply, if Pep was in charge of Real with the limited budget Zidane has been given, would he still perform as well as he has with City? That is a firm no from me.

MU655

I'm thinking of managers that get the best out of their players.

Guardiola, Flick, Klopp, Tuchel, Conte, Rodgers, Nagelsmann, Conceicao (?)

There are probably managers at lower clubs that deserve to be on here, but haven't seen enough of them. Also, I haven't really seen La Liga.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Has to be Pep, despite him being a chequebook manager. I guess if you were looking at teams operating with small budgets and punching above their weight maybe Nagelsmann or Rodgers.

There is a reason why he's coaching Everton these days.
Gotta respect him. It’s the type of job where if he flops his reputation gets ruined but if he get’s them in the CL spots, maybe wins a cup or two his back in contention for the elite jobs. Similar with Jose at Spurs, although I’d argue Spurs have been CL regulars for the past several years so Jose getting Spurs into the CL wouldn’t be as great a feat as Carlo doing it with Everton

Gonna have to say Klopp. Transformed Dortmund from a mid table side to back-to-back Bundesliga winners and CL finalists. Transformed Liverpool from a 6th place side to back-to-back CL finalists, CL winners, PL winners and 97pts runner-ups. Both tenures with an almost neutral net spend. No current top manager have made a similar impact on a team even once and he's done it twice.
2nd goes to Pep, master at making already dominant sides even more dominant, but with a net spend of 700m more than Klopp I don't think anyone really thinks he comes close.
Agree fully with this. Klopp is the most SAF like and led two teams that were doing crap to great success. Pep is a great coach, great at developing players can only imagine what he’d do with Martial and Rashford, and great at fine tuning an already winning machine.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Gotta respect him. It’s the type of job where if he flops his reputation gets ruined but if he get’s them in the CL spots, maybe wins a cup or two his back in contention for the elite jobs. Similar with Jose at Spurs, although I’d argue Spurs have been CL regulars for the past several years so Jose getting Spurs into the CL wouldn’t be as great a feat as Carlo doing it with Everton
Their reputation was already ruined, before they took those jobs. Those English clubs were the only ones willing to meet the wage demands of these dinosaurs. Ancelotti probably couldn't believe his luck when Everton gave him a 5 year contract.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Pep implements a system well but has to have elite players and a strong bench at his disposal.
Klopp is a level above in my opinion because not only does he implement his system very effectively he does so with average players and turns them into top level players.
I don't really think a lot of Manchester City's players are elite. They're above average. And a lot of Liverpool's 'average' players are above average too. The difference isn't really that big.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
In what way has his second spell showed he is not great? And what resources? This is the most frugal Real Madrid we have seen in years. This is also a Real Madrid team whose biggest stars are in the twilight of their careers It is a team going through a generational shift. If anything I am impressed with what he has achieved in his second spell. He has shown he can squeeze a lot from not very much. And when you factor in the injury list you have to be impressed not disappointed.
Real Madrid have spent money, it's just been done poorly.

But yes, it's a baffling post. The previous criticism of Zidane was that he was only winning titles because of Ronaldo. OK, sure. Ronaldo then leaves the team. Now the team does not score goals. Zidane, nonetheless, wins a Liga title, by getting Real Madrid to only concede 25 goals, their best defensive record since the league consists of 38 matches. That's as clear an example of a manager adapting to what they have as you're ever going to see.

RUCK4444

I don't really think a lot of Manchester City's players are elite. They're above average. And a lot of Liverpool's 'average' players are above average too. The difference isn't really that big.
Hmmmm I'm not so sure. Klopp has made players who were bang average raise their game to a much high standard, it's this increase in their performance/quality that Klopp provides.

Take the likes of Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner. Even Salah and Mane. NONE of those were anywhere near as good as they've shown since playing under Klopp. They were all decent, don't get me wrong, but no where near the level they've shown under him at Liverpool.

I never blinked at them signing any of those players, never expected them to turn into the goal machine of a team that they did. When Pep arrives he's been spending hundreds of millions on full backs alone, not to mention already having a far superior team as a starting point upon arrival.