Who's the best pundit in football?

Prodigal7

I get really tired of listening to most ex footballers as pundits. They're often overtly biased towards their former clubs and most of them sound like they'd struggle to read anything other than a picture book. Not the smartest. Lots of pundits who seem to really hate United as well.

Jenas on the other hand sounds completely impartial all the time and actually sounds generally intelligent and articulate. I think he's the best pundit.

Who do you think is the best pundit?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Jenas speaks well but tactical analysis is a little limited I think. I’d go with Carragher personally. Higginbotham is also very good.

Bojan11

Andy Gray was the best for me. Now it’s Paddy Crerand.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I get really tired of listening to most ex footballers as pundits. They're often overtly biased towards their former clubs and most of them sound like they'd struggle to read anything other than a picture book. Not the smartest. Lots of pundits who seem to really hate United as well.

Jenas on the other hand sounds completely impartial all the time and actually sounds generally intelligent and articulate. I think he's the best pundit.

Who do you think is the best pundit?
Have you ever listened to Jenas during a Spurs game?

Prodigal7

Jenas speaks well but tactical analysis is a little limited I think. I’d go with Carragher personally. Higginbotham is also very good.
Carragher is one of the worst IMO. Talks very basic stuff and thinks he’s some sort of professor.

I’d like to see Jenas talk more about the tactical side as I never really hear him on it.

Tiber

I think Pat McAfee once mentioned football!

To be honest ive got to the point where I more often than not turn the TV off straight after the match and watch interviews etc on Twitter. Have very little interest in modern pundits.

Though I thought Rio did a great job in this clip:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Pat Nevin.

Didn't play for Liverpool or Man United though so does not get the big jobs but he knows his stuff.

Here he is talking about Martial a couple of years ago...

Red00012

Keano , says it as it is .

I wonder what he thought of DDG tonight

Davs

I’d go with Carragher personally.
Not for me. Still can't believe he got his job back after the spitting incident.

That aside I don't think he can offer as much as other pundits and sounds fairly dull when talking (which may just be the scouse accent).

Keano all day for me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not for me. Still can't believe he got his job back after the spitting incident.

That aside I don't think he can offer as much as other pundits and sounds fairly dull when talking (which may just be the scouse accent).

Keano all day for me.
Think Keane just provides entertainment and shock value personally. He can’t compare to Monday Night Football Carragher in terms of analysis. Gary Neville would be the one who could compete for me, but he gets too emotional and says ridiculous things too often, sometimes seemingly for dramatic effect too I think.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Gary Neville. He can be a bit unbearable when he's on commentary but he's usually good on MNF when he's in the studio and given time to speak.

Bestietom

Carragher is one of the worst IMO. Talks very basic stuff and thinks he’s some sort of professor.

I’d like to see Jenas talk more about the tactical side as I never really hear him on it.
Yes "Mr. Spit" is the worst of the lot. Should never had got his job back. others sacked for less. I like Hargreaves..

Last edited:

TheLiverBird

Gary Neville and Carragher together make a good Pundit team.

They have the entertainment factor as I do believe they bounce off eachother quite well, they have the tactical side of things nailed on, and also they both have differing view points outside of the tactical talk.

It’s not all about “tactics” for me, it can get boring after a while especially when you’ve been around football as much as many of us on here have been, we don’t need tactics rammed down our throats, it’s nice to have a good mix and I think Neville and Carra provide that

Banter, tactics, and other opinions on topics occurring at Clubs and within the sport in general is what works

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Mourinho.

His punditry is top class and he gives a great impression of himself in that relaxed environment.

Sky Sports Mourinho > Embattled, Paranoid Mourinho.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not anyone on UK TV, woeful pretty much without exception. None have anything original to contribute. Can't stand Neville commentary either.

All the fawning over Liverpool this season, don't know how anyone ex Liverpool fans can stand it...

If ever forced to watch BT or Sky the sound is going off.

US coverage is better imo, feels less agenda driven. Kyle Martino is pretty good.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Pat Nevin.

Didn't play for Liverpool or Man United though so does not get the big jobs but he knows his stuff.

I'd agree with this. Always look forward to his insight if I see he's on any of the weekly football podcasts

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Danny Higginbotham

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Keane's a wild card which adds a spicy twist to the line up

Neville and Carragher tend to be the best when it comes to understanding the game and don't really come out with too much rubbish.

Gopher Brown

The worst ones are those who talk like they’ve barely got two brain cells to bang together.

I watched Jamie Redknapp contradict himself twice in about 2 minutes the other night. I can’t find the clip though. To the bad list I add Merson, Savage, Phil Neville.

I’m not a fan of the overly enthusiastic ones ‘Look, I’m on the telly!’ - Micah Richards in particular.

I like watching Roy Keane because he says what we all shout at the telly when we’re playing. I also quite like Graeme Souness, although I realise that’s anathema to many here.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I enjoy watching Keane and Souness. I also think Jenas has the potential to become a really strong pundit. I like Neville also. Hoddle also can give some really interesting tactical insights.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t overly mind Souness. His anti Pogba stuff has tarnished my opinion of him but I think he’s decent.

I like Keane, I don’t overly care for detailed analysis. Just give me entertainment

norm87cro

Until he got the Chelsea job I genuinely liked Lampard. Evra is ok I guess. The level of hatred from Shearer when United is the topic is unreal. The likes of Carragher are more objective

Prodigal7

Most ABU pundits to my knowledge:
Souness (and any ex Liverpool player other than Heskey tbh)
Shearer
Mica Richards for obvious reasons
Andy Townsend

Please highlight other ABUs

Zoo

Currently it's Rio and Carragher. They aren't mind-blowing but good, solid 7 or 8 out of 10 pundits.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Nevin is probably the only pundit I'd listen too.
Always enjoyed listening to his insight on 5live,plus he never takes himself nor the game too seriously ,which stands out amongst his peers who have their heads firmly up their own arses,like Rio,Jenas,Owen,Neville and Carragher to name a few.

Plus,Nevin has good taste in culture.

tomaldinho1

Generally I think the ex-managers are best - Hoddle usually has some interesting ideas about how teams are setup and gives insightful opinions on high level tactics. Mou is good, Martinez used to do a few appearances and was pretty interesting to listen to, think Curbishley did a few for Sky back in the day as well.

Issue is a lot of the ex-players who haven't managed have learned that hyperbole and creating soundbites is more important than what they're actually saying.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Pat Nevin.

Yay,another Nevin fan.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Clinton Morrison in a so bad he's actually good way.

You know what though, it's my bias. He doesn't say anything particularly outrageous, nor anything amazingly insightful and talks in cliches like a lot of them. It's his voice/accent.

Nickelodeon

I like watching Tim Sherwood. He seems single minded in dissing on Mourinho. In neutral situations, he resembles the normal twitter folk where everything he says either has him outraged or exasperated. Mostly speaks generic stuff as well.

Prodigal7

I like watching Tim Sherwood. He seems single minded in dissing on Mourinho. In neutral situations, he resembles the normal twitter folk where everything he says either has him outraged or exasperated. Mostly speaks generic stuff as well.
That's exactly what I hate in Pundits. Sensationalism if so rife in the social media age the nuances, details and realities behind a 90 minute game of football have been completely lost. Now it's who scores, who assists and who has the most outrageous opinion.

Davie Moyes

Pat Nevin.

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed that analysis more than the usual stuff seen on the telly in the match coverage. Pat's analysis then was spot on given Martial's current form. I thought it was interesting how confident he was about how good he would be if played central. He also mentioned he had watched him alot at Monaco and was impressed. You do wonder about some other pundits regarding how much research they actually do and watch other leagues.