Who's the best pundit in football?

kirk buttercup

For me and from an Irish perspective Brain Kerr some of his one liners are hilarious , Keano is good entertainment value. Kenny Cunningham is pretty good too. Over the water I always liked Lampard before he got the Chelsea Job, Neville I like too .

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Main condition for being a non-shite pundit is being intelligent. If you don't have that, then at least you need character. I'm finding myself switching between channels just to avoid a host of them (Murphy, Jenas, Cahill, Savage, Hargreaves).

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Strachan used to have some good moments, he’d actually bring coaching into his analysis and say things that went beyond the usual repetitive phrases.

Needham

Strachan used to have some good moments, he’d actually bring coaching into his analysis and say things that went beyond the usual repetitive phrases.
Agweed, burr eeh wur also an ornery anti shoshul lickle biskit uv a man.

Needham

He took a lot of ridicule but I always found Garth Crooks compelling.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I loved Jose and his stint as a pundit.

I’m also going to say I like souness too.

Needham

What do you think of Poch? I keep wanting him to talk faster. I feel like Alan Partidge waiting for that vicar to get to the end of a sentence.

Gopher Brown

Main condition for being a non-shite pundit is being intelligent. If you don't have that, then at least you need character. I'm finding myself switching between channels just to avoid a host of them (Murphy, Jenas, Cahill, Savage, Hargreaves).
I think Murphy and Jenas are intelligent enough. They’re just quite dull people, as most professional sports people are

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam

Graeme Souness is absolutely dreadfull.. There is no depth in any of his comments or observations... The video below illustrates this massively for me.. Gary Neville throwing actual arguments at him and looking further than his own nose, while he's just raving about 'a striker scoring 30 goals'.. This below is hilarious for me..

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
What do you think of Poch? I keep wanting him to talk faster. I feel like Alan Partidge waiting for that vicar to get to the end of a sentence.
I’ve only seen him a couple of times but yeah he did tend to drag stuff out but he is a thinker rather than speaker so I suppose that’s his way of going about punditry.

I think Murphy and Jenas are intelligent enough. They’re just quite dull people, as most professional sports people are
Murphy struggles to hide his bias towards Liverpool, despite being an average player.

Neville, Carragher and Alex Scott for me. No coincidence that they have all finished their careers relatively recently, especially compared to some of the awful pundits like Redknapp, Souness and Ince.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I like Danny Higginbotham, he clearly knows his stuff beyond just the big PL clubs, and demonstrates knowledge of the football league and European football regularly.

It seems like a lot of pundits just wing it without any sort of research. The soccer saturday lot in particular. Their knowledge of current football is shocking and has been for years. Higginbotham is the antithesis of that.

Hargreaves has a lot of knowledge of the game too, but he's not particularly good at articulating himself. Higginbotham, despite his knowledge, suffers from just being a tad on the dull side too.

I think Neville and Carragher are probably the best, in the way they balance knowledge and understanding with being entertaining and engaging.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Neither has ever made any insightful point and I've endured them plenty. But yes, they are very dull too.

GlasgowCeltic

Carragher stands out above Neville for me. Neville was brilliant early on but I assume Sky we’re providing him support he no longer feels he needs because the level of insight has decreased dramatically

MattofManchester

Not seen a lot of opinions on Alan Curbishley, who seems to be a bit regular these days.

For me, it's Keane for entertainment value.
In terms of analysis, it never got better than Mourinho.
Jenas doesn't seem to say much more than he has to which does give the idea that he seems more intellectual.

Lanesy

I’m not sure who the best is but one thing I know for sure is that Martin Keown is undoubtedly the worst.

Murray3007

Owen Hargreaves is really good a bit dull but hes superb on the tactical side of things, another I liked years ago was Glenn Hoddle, always enjoyed listening to him

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Would people like to see Journalists ?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Don't really listen to them anymore. Stick the match on a minute before kick off, leave the room at half time, turn it off at the final whistle.

What makes a good one anyway? The one that says things you agree with, the one that you feel is educating you, the charismatic one?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Carragher and Neville as a pair are quite good.

I don't know if he's always good, but whenever I've watched an NBC stream Kyle Martino has always made a good impression on me.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Danny Higginbotham is the only one I can really listen to.
Good voice
Not on his soapbox like Neville, nor dull as the others.
Well informed with a good grasp of tactics.

shaky

Darren Fletcher seems pretty natutral on camera and talks a good bit of non-gibberish, which puts him ahead of most pundits.

SuperiorXI

Good voice
Yeah Higginbotham is probably the best in my book. Gives a picture you don't necessarily see watching live.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good voice
Now that I think about it, I really like Higginbotham too.I don't often hear him though, he must spend the majority of his time on radio.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Graeme Souness is absolutely dreadfull.. There is no depth in any of his comments or observations... The video below illustrates this massively for me.. Gary Neville throwing actual arguments at him and looking further than his own nose, while he's just raving about 'a striker scoring 30 goals'.. This below is hilarious for me..
To be honest IMO Neville doesn't make any coherent arguments there either. He identifies some of the issues, but cannot follow through because he seems to get stuck between defending his pals at the club and holding anyone to account. And, if anything, the test of time has proven Souness right - be it about the stacatto build-up, Fellaini's role, not getting the best out of the team, and certain players such as Lukaku showing more elsewhere, and so on.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Now that I think about it, I really like Higginbotham too.I don't often hear him though, he must spend the majority of his time on radio.
Tends to do the Championship and lower. Tactics are tactics and I don't get why he can't summarise UCL for example. Rather him than say Jamie Redknapp

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, I only caught a couple of his appearances - but he was actually pretty impressive.

We love to hate him (well, many) - but Jose isn't an idiot, far from it. And when he just talks about football, without any "mindgames" or pettiness, he's a class above your average pundit.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Liam Rosenior - doesn't get enough work either.

Loon

:lol:
I thought our Darren Fletcher was pretty good. Whatever happened to Terry Venables?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Not after watching Hold the Back Page/Sunday Supplement for years. Most work from agendas, gossip. and little actual knowledge of the game.
True. Not everyone can be a Tim Vickery or Andy Brassell.

diarm

It's certainly not Kenny fecking Cunningham anyway. He must be 35 years involved in football and he's on here all night pretending he doesn't know how to pronounce Ajax properly.

Loon

:lol:
Chelsea supporter Rob Wotton doesn’t even hide his distaste for United on the Football Show.