Who's the best pundit in football?

Andy_Cole

Yeah, I only caught a couple of his appearances - but he was actually pretty impressive.

We love to hate him (well, many) - but Jose isn't an idiot, far from it. And when he just talks about football, without any "mindgames" or pettiness, he's a class above your average pundit.
The thing is, your average footballer isn’t that bright. So when you bring in a very intelligent manager in Jose, it’s light and day the quality vs Michael Owen and Souness.

I’d love if one channel decides to do things a bit differently and bring in intellectual pundits who can analyse the game rather than biased ex players. I guess stereotypically, the average football fan isn’t that bright either so the analysis needs to be dumbed down.

dal

Gary Neville, undoubtedly.

He makes his points perfectly and backs it up with great analysis. Carragher is good too but Neville for me changed the landscape of a pundit and raised the bar.

Keane is just generally a wind up merchant, he’s really no different from souness and his ilk and we’d probably loathe him if he didn’t play for Man Utd.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I thought our Darren Fletcher was pretty good. Whatever happened to Terry Venables?
Fletcher's been really impressive from the little I've seen. Clearly capable of analysing a game properly.

GoldanoGraham

The dullest and most boring is Michael Owen - he is so biased towards Liverpool even though he shat on them to better himself....don’t think he has anything insightful to say and ultimately he was a one trick pony (speed) so doesn’t contribute much at all.
Sourness is also grating - he’s stuck in a time warp and is so biased his analysis is just one sided.

I like Rio, love Keano and the only scouser I can stomach is Carragher as he at least tries to be objective.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Would people like to see Journalists ?
Eurosport used them for the Africa Cup of Nations a few years ago. Definitely added a lot of value as they were pretty insightful and naturally well read.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Most of the pundits are awful but the best journalist is Raphael Honigstein, for me. Always worth a read or listen. Horncastle, Brassell and Vickery are very good too and better at analysing the game than most of the ex players.

GoldanoGraham

Not a tv pundit but I quite like listening to what Simon Jordan has to say on TalkSPORT regarding the running of clubs and especially dealing with agents.....seems like he didn’t have great experiences doing either!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Gary Neville, undoubtedly.

He makes his points perfectly and backs it up with great analysis. Carragher is good too but Neville for me changed the landscape of a pundit and raised the bar.

Keane is just generally a wind up merchant, he’s really no different from souness and his ilk and we’d probably loathe him if he didn’t play for Man Utd.
I can't stand Neville, I think he's over the top and theatrical and biased. I think Charrager is a lot better. The Pogba debate between Charrager and Neville summed the pair up very well. Both made well constructed points but Charrager was spot on.

ElCuddlos

Would people like to see Journalists ?
100%. I listen to a lot of podcasts and their analysis is way more insightful and well informed. Ex-players definitely have a valuable perspective but I don't understand why journalists never get a look-in. Jonathon Wilson talking about Diego Maradona on last week's Guardian Football weekly gave me goosebumps. Keown, Murphy and Shearer spaffing tired old cliches are stealing a living by comparison.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not a tv pundit but I quite like listening to what Simon Jordan has to say on TalkSPORT regarding the running of clubs and especially dealing with agents.....seems like he didn’t have great experiences doing either!
He speaks really well about all aspects of football. What you don't hear are stories about how cnutish some of the other chairmen were to him and how corrupt some agents are.

lsd

The Oracle
Neville and Carragher.

Carragher is good Neville is a twat.

Hargreaves is usually very good. Not sure about Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on the weekend who sat with a sneer whenever Keane was speaking and then just repeated what Keane had said for his own analysis.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I’d love if one channel decides to do things a bit differently and bring in intellectual pundits who can analyse the game rather than biased ex players. I guess stereotypically, the average football fan isn’t that bright either so the analysis needs to be dumbed down.
It's puzzled me for some time now what precise demographic broadcasters target (for the main part). If I'm sat in some random pub, watching a game of football, the general consensus is usually that the pundits are shite (at least that is a more common view than them being brilliant). People who watch a lot of football generally don't like dumbed-down punditry - they find it tedious, pointless even.

On the other hand, I must assume the same broadcasters know what they're doing - since they don't look like going bankrupt any time soon.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Carragher is good Neville is a twat.

Hargreaves is usually very good
. Not sure about Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on the weekend who sat with a sneer whenever Keane was speaking and then just repeated what Keane had said for his own analysis.
I’ll go with the complete reverse of the bolded section.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Here's an example why Neville is significantly better than Carragher for me. WIth VAR being a nuanced topic, Carragher had a standard one eyed view while Neville got to the heart of the issue.

Oranges038

Dion Dublin is objective and talks sense.

On Homes under the hammer or football shows?

Seriously though, most ex footballers get the gig, because of who they played for and not because they are particularly interesting or insightful in their opinions.

I grew up watching Giles, Dunphy and Brady on Irish TV, sometimes they were just like 3 ould fellas talking football in a pub the way they went on, being egged on by Bill. But they mostly had varied/valid sounding opinions and liked to argue their points. They were worth watching after the games.

I barely even watch post match any more and I pause MOTD and fast forward through most of the analysis. On Sky/BT it's all rushed to squeeze in a few more ads. It's why theirs are mostly for sound bites because that's all they have time to offer.

When I do watch any of it now they tend to blow smoke up each other or agree on everything. Very rarely do they actually have a proper debate on anything or offer different opinions.

Danny Mills in the worst in my view for bias, especially when City are on. Shearer and Owen have to be the most boring of the lot. McManaman makes games almost unwatchable. The less said about the third wheel that is Jake Humphreys the better.

Neville and Carragher offer the most in terms of analysis etc, but they've been given the time on MNF to create the name for themselves. That's why to me
those are probably the best on TV at the minute.

Web of Bissaka

1. Mourinho - he's really good at this.

2. Carragher, mostly reasonable until sometimes he goes stray in few cases especially when it comes to Liverpool bias, but that's normal I guess.

3. Keane for daring to point things out other pundits unwilling to or less focused on eg. mentality, laziness, attitude, etc, but many of his comments about tactics and football tend to be off.

Wish Gary would just focus on the tactical side of matches (commentaries on team tactics and players team roles focus - he's really good at it, best I've seen), and less all the bs he spouted about politics, refs, rules, management, clubs, etc.

I don't think there's any pundit that is "perfect" or "ideal", so you need to balance the roster.

Generally, I tend to ignore pundits nowadays, waste of my time learning nothing new about football, just "professionals" that knows about this game better saying the same "cliche" thing round and round again, then at times some professionals said the most ridiculous things about football, so you have to question just how much do they know about this stuffs. Curious why so many people have the time to watch it?

G-MUFC

1. Nevile
2. Ferdinand
I find the ex-Liverpool players get a lot of the pundit jobs but they are rarely good apart from Souness.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I have noticed a few mentions of Jenas and I'm always reminded of this little gem where he couldn't stop being emotional about Spurs losing 4-2

UmbroDays

I like Rio, Jenas and Neville personally.

But I generally change channels at half-time and if any contentious decision was made during the game

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
I don't care about tactical analysis and game play know how when it comes to Roy, but I absolutely love Roy Keane, whether he is right or wrong.

I also liked when Jose and Wenger were doing post match discussions, it was like when they speak, you listen.

Carra and Gary have fun chemistry, while they both can be biased, but I think pretty reasonable.
Worst bunch is though Espn fc. Absolutely biased against United.

Scholes while quite outspoken and foot in mouth syndrome, I think at times is spot on.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Maybe not the right thread but Rob Green is doing well today in the sky sports studio. Very well spoken, informative and not full of the typical waffle yet.

Maybe not the right thread but Rob Green is doing well today in the sky sports studio. Very well spoken, informative and not full of the typical waffle yet.
he’s been terrific.

as much as I love Evra, he’s out him totally on the shade today - and would assume he would on every day.

whilst he will clearly have some affiliations with clubs (three of which are playing tonight, and assume that’s why he’s on) he had insight, rather than blind bias which is true of most pundits.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
he’s been terrific.

as much as I love Evra, he’s out him totally on the shade today - and would assume he would on every day.

whilst he will clearly have some affiliations with clubs (three of which are playing tonight, and assume that’s why he’s on) he had insight, rather than blind bias which is true of most pundits.
Definitely would like to see him a bit more, even joining carragher and Neville's stuff, think he would work well with them.