Whose career would you rather have had? Messi or Zidane

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm surprised everybody is picking Messi.

What happened to the "Messi and Ronaldo would trade all their ballon d'or for a World Cup" crowd?

The were pretty vocal all of last year, claming a WC is worth more than 4 CLs and 5 ballon d'ors.
Gerrard's career or Phil Neville's? I'd pick Gerrard's. A career isnt a summation of those few occasions your team lifted a trophy. It's everything in between as well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's an easy pick?

Zidane won the World cup in his own country and also the European championship. I'd say those two trophies catapult him ahead of anything Messi has achieved.

Player wise Messi edges it though, he's an absolute genius whilst Zidane was and still is the best midfielder that's ever played.
Definitely disagree that Messi edges it as a player. Zidane was the best footballer I had seen while he was around and he was a joy to watch, but Messi for me redefined how incredible a footballer could be.

VJ1762

I started following football only after Zidane retired, so I haven't really watched him at his best. For a period of time initially when I started watching football, he was always the guy who headbutted Materazzi in the WC final. He had an incredible career, no doubt, but Messi is the best footballer I have ever watched. I was in high school when the Mourinho-pep rivalry was at it's peak and every clasico was must watch TV. clasicos these days lack that spice. Anyways, Messi has won plenty of individual and club honors and while he has never won the Copa America or the World Cup, Zidane himself has not won that many club honors, no?

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
WC is the most prestigious trophy for any player more than even UCL. Pretty sure even Messi himself will be more than happy to trade his 5CLs for 1 WC trophy.
FC Barcelona has got 5 CLs in total, Messi has been in 3 and a half.

KeanoMagicHat

Some of the replies in this thread highlight this weird enough recent impression that Messi has not won that many trophies. Messi has won every major club competition Barcelona at least three times. When all is said and done he could have as many club trophies as anyone ever. In terms of individual achievements it's the same...he even has the World Cup Golden Ball.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Some of the replies in this thread highlight this weird enough recent impression that Messi has not won that many trophies. Messi has won every major club competition Barcelona at least three times. When all is said and done he could have as many club trophies as anyone ever. In terms of individual achievements it's the same...he even has the World Cup Golden Ball.
That was out of pity, even Messi himself was ashamed to receive it.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He will be forever regarded below Pele and Maradona for sure, because despite his amazing achievement at club level he can't replicate that at NT. Same story with Di Stefano who won 8 La Ligas and 5 CLs but was never considered on the same level like Pele and Maradona because his lacked achievement at NT.
Except that most have already talked about Messi as possibly the best ever since he was 24.

Zlatattack

:lol::lol::lol:

Surely you're not serious. 10 league titles and 3 champions leagues vs 3 league titles, one champions league a world cup and a European championship. Messi must really envy Zidane's intertoto cup win!

This thread is just bizarre. One has dominated European football for a decade, producing goalscoring numbers year after year never seen before. The other looks good in youtube videos to orchestra music.
Did you ever watch Zidane play - nobody who did could make that youtube remark.

BlackShark_80

Except that most have already talked about Messi as possibly the best ever since he was 24.
Most only talked about him being one of the best but not the best ever. The one who talked him as the best ever mostly Cules, younger fans
Except there are still many football fans who still rated Pele and Maradona above Messi.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Most only talked about him being one of the best but not the best ever. The one who talked him as the best ever mostly Cules, younger fans

Except there are still many football fans who still rated Pele and Maradona above Messi.
No he was already talked about being the best ever at 24. And he is still being talked up being one the best ever. It's only that people want him to win the world cup to be definitely the best ever. It seems this is the reason some people don't rate him.

BlackShark_80

No he was already talked about being the best ever at 24. And he is still being talked up being one the best ever. It's only that people want him to win the world cup to be definitely the best ever. It seems this is the reason some people don't rate him.

WC is the main reason indeed, because it is the biggest stage in the world.

spaceboyRSA

Maybe a better way to phrase the threadtitle is, "Who's trophy cabinet would you rather have"

Would be interesting to see a Messi Vs Ronaldo version of that.

stepic

people are putting waaaaay too much emphasis on the world cup.

i'm really surprised so many people are saying Zidane. Messi will finish his career being regarded as one of if not THE best player of all time. Zidane also had a great career, and yes won the WC, but he's not in the same bracket as Messi. scoring all those goals that Messi has done, from such a young age, would be way more fun too than Zidane, who blossomed pretty late to be honest.

BlackShark_80

people are putting waaaaay too much emphasis on the world cup.

i'm really surprised so many people are saying Zidane. Messi will finish his career being regarded as one of if not THE best player of all time. Zidane also had a great career, and yes won the WC, but he's not in the same bracket as Messi. scoring all those goals that Messi has done, from such a young age, would be way more fun too than Zidane, who blossomed pretty late to be honest.
Zidane career was more impressive to be honest he won everything both at Clubs and NT level. Messi has more trophies at Club level yes but he failed to win something at NT even Copa America nevermind WC.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's not like it's either or. Zidane has all the trophies Messi has too, just less of them. The question really is what is better, 4 CLs or 1 CL and a World Cup? I know what I'd prefer.
Zidane has 4 CL too, 3 won as manager. 1 won as player.
On paper Messi has 4 CL, but he was a bit part player in one of those, so in actual he only has won 3 as key player.

jem

:lol::lol::lol:

Surely you're not serious. 10 league titles and 3 champions leagues vs 3 league titles, one champions league a world cup and a European championship. Messi must really envy Zidane's intertoto cup win!

This thread is just bizarre. One has dominated European football for a decade, producing goalscoring numbers year after year never seen before. The other looks good in youtube videos to orchestra music.
Why is it impossible on here to express an opinion on these chats without resorting to nonsensical stuff like this?

PeteManic

Messi's as long as I don't have to experience all those flights over and back to Argentina. Must do his head in.

kambinks

Zidane. Getting to play with Del Piero, Edgar Davids then to the galacticos with becks, figo, raul, ronaldo. Then those world cup and Euro 2000 feels like it'd be a more fulfilling experience. Especially if were counting the managerial experience he has its really a no brainer.

Not really a fan of Barca so can't really say theres any attraction to being a one man club and having a pretty limited experience. Adding to the stick that messi gets in the international scene just feel like its going to be one thing that'll make it less appealing.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Zidane career was more impressive to be honest he won everything both at Clubs and NT level. Messi has more trophies at Club level yes but he failed to win something at NT even Copa America nevermind WC.
Everything? he never won a Cup.

Impressive at what?

3 League titles
1 Champions League

That's it beyond Super Cups, even Henry's trophy cabinet beats Zidane's

5 League titles
3 Cups
1 Champions League

Would you rather have Henry's career or Messi? Zidane gets this absurd aura that he was untouchable, he wasn't even better than Iniesta.

BlackShark_80

Impressive at what?

3 League titles
1 Champions League

5 League titles
3 Cups
1 Champions League

Would you rather have Henry's career or Messi? Zidane gets this absurd aura that he was untouchable, he wasn't even better than Iniesta.
Still impressive 3 League Titles, 1 CL, 1 WC, and 1 Euro. Yes I rather have Henry career over Messi as well. Zidane for me was better than Iniesta.

Last edited:

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Still impressive 3 League Titles, 1 CL, 1 WC, and 1 Euro. Yes I rather have Henry career over Messi as well.
3 league titles is nothing impressive when you spend 10 seasons playing for Real Madrid and Juventus.

In those 10 seasons Juve and Real won 7 (8*) league titles and 3 Champions Leagues, both teams won more titles without Zidane than with him.

You'd rather have Arbeloa's career instead of Rio Ferdinand's?. Fine, but for most people a career is a lot more than a collection of silverware.

BlackShark_80

3 league titles is nothing impressive when you spend 10 seasons playing for Real Madrid and Juventus.

In those 10 seasons Juve and Real won 7 (8*) league titles and 3 Champions Leagues, both teams won more titles without Zidane than with him.

You'd rather have Arbeloa's career instead of Rio Ferdinand's?. Fine, but for most people a career is a lot more than a collection of silverware.
Yes but most people here also prefers Zidane career over Messi.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid

Impressive at what?

3 League titles
1 Champions League

5 League titles
3 Cups
1 Champions League

Henry was a part time player in 98, and he was probably France's 3rd best at 2006, meanwhile Zidane was on a totally different level at both World Cups and Euro 2000 where he was ridiculously good.

Your Arbeloa vs Ferdinand comparison is off, it's more Henry vs Zidane than the other way around.

"He never won a Cup", that's just cute :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Messi. Paid shit loads of money, won everything at club level and can make club do whatever he says. Apart from all this, he is GOAT.

IRELANDUNITED

Zidane "only" won 1 champions leagues and 3 league titles (2 at Juve and 1 at Madrid) but the fact he won a World Cup and European Championships with France may make people favor his career. It's close but Messi's for me

Pass and Move

Seriously, people replying about how much more money Messi earned than Zidane need to reconsider their priorities.

Zidane used to earn more in a month than any poster on here earns in a year.

roonster09

Scout
Seriously, people replying about how much more money Messi earned than Zidane need to reconsider their priorities.

Zidane used to earn more in a month than any poster on here earns in a year.
Yes but why should someone put limit to their earnings. Zidane earned in a year more than I will earn in my lifetime but Messi earns probably 7-10 times more than Zidane and that too playing at highest level possible.

lex talionis

A great question, but the answer is a no-brainer: Lionel Messi.

Take nothing whatsoever from Zidane playing career, but only a few other athletes have done what has done Messi has in all of sport. There's not much to add to the points made here already, but imagine if Cristiano Ronaldo had never existed how many more Balon d'Ors as well as trophies Messi would have amassed.

Ronaldo fans might disagree, but Messi is the GOAT. Zidane's was a brilliant career but Messi's career was, and still is, on another level.

roonster09

Scout
Can't be greatest footballer of all time if he isn't GOAT at Club and NT level.
Football is team game, player's level shouldn't be dependent on his teammates stepping up and finishing off chances. And also 1 game shouldn't decide whether player is GOAT or not.

Anyways that's for another thread, he is GOAT for me and will always be. I'm sure I won't see a better player in my lifetime.