Why are American chants so bad?

Oranges038

You're shit at making up football chants and you know you are...

What's their equivalent of this?

Spark

Fight and win guy is quality. Makes me want to watch Seattle play just to experience the epic chants they have.

RoyH1

I just think it's not in the sporting culture. The continuous nature of football also lends itself to chanting in a way Baseball/American Football with all their breaks and pauses doesn't.

If you can speak/understand Spanish then football chants from Argentina are absolutely essential. Filled with dark humour, witty, arrogant and occasionally vulgar, one cannot help but laugh (or be offended if one is the butt of the joke)

Rodgerzzz

As long as they're not coming up with anything as bad as that "Your city is blue, just like Landon, your city is blue" one the Chelsea fans always sing when Utd are playing them then they're doing alright.

Like who the hell is Landon?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As long as they're not coming up with anything as bad as that "Your city is blue, just like Landon, your city is blue" one the Chelsea fans always sing when Utd are playing them then they're doing alright.

Like who the hell is Landon?
Landon Donovan. Mediocre player for Everton a few years ago. Therefore he is a blue.

Duh.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The whole population of Qatar are probably carrying fewer guns than this handful of USA supporters. But, yes, feel free to tell the world what this sport is called. :lol:
WT

Strootman's Finger

I went to a Barcelona game this season and was disappointed when the only chant I heard all game was, Barca, Barca, Barca

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
The cheerleader birds at my local college basketball team holds up massive signs with ''NOISE" written on it. No suggestions of what to actually chant, that'd be too creative.
The whole DE-FENCE bollocks too is laughable as is "let's go [team name] let's go!"

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
In addition to it not being a major part of fan culture in the US, I think the size of the US contributes to the lack of creativity. It's difficult to travel to USMNT matches consistently (well except when they decide to play all their matches in the Midwest for two years, but even that is a huge area) so you don't have a core of fans to develop chants. The ones who do travel are tedious bores and decide to repurpose the "I believe we will win" chant from another sport.

The best chants in the US come from college basketball, but they're still not songs or long-winded.

tomaldinho1

I would follow Fight and Win guy into the depths of the abyss, something about the Neville Longbottom looking eager beaver bastard just draws me in.

Of our chants the Ibra one was great as was the banned Lukaku one. Northern teams always have good song adaptations, Atsu at Newcastle being the pinnacle.

Cantonagotmehere

I've watched NHL on TV for years and often wondered why there's zero atmosphere in the arenas, then I went to a hockey game a few weeks back, in Philly of all places, and there's a pregame warning to not shout and swear. Which people seems to abide by. Everyone just sits in near silence, watching psychopaths on knife shoes smash into each other and fight, and they'll barely acknowledge anything except a goal.
I saw live playoff hockey between the Capitals and Penguins. Ovechkin vs Crosby, the atmosphere was amazing. One of the coolest sporting events I have ever been to. Maybe Philly just sucks, but live hockey is great.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I saw live playoff hockey between the Capitals and Penguins. Ovechkin vs Crosby, the atmosphere was amazing. One of the coolest sporting events I have ever been to. Maybe Philly just sucks, but live hockey is great.
Whenever I watch playoff hockey on TV, it's definitely a much better spectacle, both in terms of the game and the atmosphere. The game I went to was an early regular season game. Good size crowd, but mostly silent, most likely because they're not to shout and swear, which seems mad to me, at a sports game. That seems to be reflected in other games I watch on TV too. Regular season hockey can be a morgue.

Incomparable to the Eagles game I went to a couple of days later. That was rowdy. Great atmosphere.

poleglass red

went to a Toronto Maple leafs game a few years back, atmosphere was poor, it wasn't a play off game though, maybe it cranks up then, it would have to I guess

Cantonagotmehere

Whenever I watch playoff hockey on TV, it's definitely a much better spectacle, both in terms of the game and the atmosphere. The game I went to was an early regular season game. Good size crowd, but mostly silent, most likely because they're not to shout and swear, which seems mad to me, at a sports game. That seems to be reflected in other games I watch on TV too. Regular season hockey can be a morgue.

Incomparable to the Eagles game I went to a couple of days later. That was rowdy. Great atmosphere.
Gotcha, playoffs probably make huge difference, of course. I go to most Baltimore Ravens games, the atmosphere is awesome. Of course, the couple Prem games I went to in the 90's are impossible to beat for me. Got me hooked for sure...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This just epitomises just how shite those damn Yanks are. They really just don't get it. I feel sorry for the poor feckers.

:lol: :lol: what the feck is this?

Even the English ones are a bit cringy, just a collection of random songs chanted at football matches. But the American guys were just :lol::houllier:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair, this one is fecking epic, and kinda answers your question ;)

I went to an Eagles/Jags game a couple of years ago. I was pretty impressed with the Philly fans, not gonna lie. Inside and outside the stadium, rowdy bunch, very loud, always singing.

Last edited:

Mr. Robot

They are on par with the creativity at Chelsea in terms of chants.

Actually it’s London teams full stop.

Southerners are so bland and unimaginative
Chelsea are the worst when it comes to chants.

“Chewseeee” (repeat over and over)

“One man went to mow, went to mow a meadow”

And that Gammon Brexit chant they’ve also got.

micmac

USA! USA! USA! it's brillliant....they got 4 of the best American song writers to collaborate on this gem. :lol:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I went to a went an Eagles/Jags game a couple of years ago. I was pretty impressed with the Philly fans, not gonna lie. Inside and outside the stadium, rowdy bunch, very loud, always singing.
Philly fans are the best! :)

This particular chant is often used by Philadelphia Union soccer club, also by other teams like Eagles. To be pedantic, Wikipedia says that the chant is borrowed from Millwall fans in UK, and goes as far back as '70s, but hey - there's nothing truly original anyway, and it is my favorite chant you can hear in the US, for more than one reason :)

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
USA! USA! USA! it's brillliant....they got 4 of the best American song writers to collaborate on this gem. :lol:
Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody is chanting "USA, USA" at NFL, NBA, MLS or any other league game. That would make no sense, since most teams are US teams (minus some Canadian teams).

Most chants are:
"Let's go boys!"
"feck ...substitute name"
"De-fense"
"A-tack"

etc :)

But no "USA,USA". Don't bring cheap, discount xenophobia to this conversation. It is unnecessary.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Philly fans are the best! :)

This particular chant is often used by Philadelphia Union soccer club, also by other teams like Eagles. To be pedantic, Wikipedia says that the chant is borrowed from Millwall fans in UK, and goes as far back as '70s, but hey - there's nothing truly original anyway, and it is my favorite chant you can hear in the US, for more than one reason :)
Philly fans sing it to a slightly different tune to the Millwall fans, if that counts for a slight bit of originality.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
I mean as well as that classic Arrrrsenal chant the gooners also gave us the *ahem* classic "We'll be running down Tottenham High St....." :eek:

The originality of British football chants are hard to beat though to be fair :)

NecssryEvil

I love this place, anything to try and rile people up. Should change the name to TrollCafe…

Americans don’t have chants even in the sports they like, maybe a song or two but even that is rare, it’s just not part of the culture. But hey, if it makes you feel clever and superior to tell France if it weren’t for England you’d be Krauts, good for you.

Ole'sattheWheel

I love this place, anything to try and rile people up. Should change the name to TrollCafe…

Americans don’t have chants even in the sports they like, maybe a song or two but even that is rare, it’s just not part of the culture. But hey, if it makes you feel clever and superior to tell France if it weren’t for England you’d be Krauts, good for you.
If Britain didn't step in to ww2, not only would the French be krauts, but Jews would have been extinct in Europe.

This, by the way, was a country that'd just come out of another world war, economy in tatters and 6% of their male population had been killed.

America were going through an economic boom and came in last minute to win the odd battle and claim themselves as heroes.
Completely ignoring the British intelligence and Russian blood that ww2 couldn't have been won without.

But the US saved private Ryan that time so yeah, they're the heroes