Why are Pep and Klopp achieving record points totals in the EPL?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Let's try this thread here.

The points totals Pep and Klopp are achieving are on average much higher than what Fergie achieved when he won all his EPLs. The question is why? Here are a few possibilities:

1) The EPL is weaker now
2) Pep and Klopp have better individuals in their first XIs than Fergie's sides did
3) Pep and Klopp have more squad depth that allows them to maintain a higher average standard
4) They are better coached/ play a style which is more consistent in steam rolling the weaker EPL sides

Are they any other options? Which factor makes the most difference? Or is my premise wrong about Pep and Klopp being that different?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's mainly (4) they play a style which is more consistent in steam rolling the weaker EPL sides. That style of play is enabled by the modern environment - more attacker-friendly refereeing, more VAR penalties, fewer chances for spoiling game management tactics.

It's not just a Pep/Klopp thing as the trends of pushing 90+ points a season are apparent across different European leagues. So I'd boil the wider trend down to the (1) financial gulf between the best and the rest combined with (2) proper strategic management of the club (recruitment, coaching and style of play).

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Is the high-line and press only really viable because the financial gulf? If the money was more evenly spread could you get it to work? If so might smaller sides be able to more easily apply the tactics themselves which would then reduce its effectiveness?

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
It's 2 for me along with 4 obviously.

Give him the current United side and let's see them get to 90 with coaching.

Of course, due credits to them for assembling those teams. Fecking bastards have ruined football for me.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
When my kid was born 3.5 years ago, I wanted to make him a die hard United fan. Made him sit with me for all games before I eventually stopped. No way he will ever pick United as his team ever now.

Great thing was he understood what a goal was very early and celebrated Rashford's penalty as madly as I did against PSG. Fecking sad stuff, wish I got married when Fergie wasn't retired. Wish I wasnt typing this inebriated.