Why are Pep and Klopp so dominant in the EPL?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Probably because both are better coaches than Ferguson and in Pep's case also because he has ridiculous funding behind him.
Jesus, at least put some respect on his name in an United forum at least.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The points totals Pep and Klopp are achieving are on average much higher than what Fergie achieved when he won all his EPLs. The question is why? Here are a few possibilities:

1) The EPL is weaker now
2) Pep and Klopp have better individuals in their first XIs than Fergie's sides did
3) Pep and Klopp have more squad depth that allows them to maintain a higher average standard
4) They are better coached/ play a style which is more consistent in steam rolling the weaker EPL sides

Are they any other options? Which factor makes the most difference? Or is my premise wrong about Pep and Klopp being that different?
It's 4)

Their teams are much better organized and sophisticated. Football has advanced. Ferguson was a great manager but his approach is outdated and outperformed these days.

Righteous Steps

I don't think Klopp would have been that type of manager either. He just had to adapt to the demands of facing such a City side in the league.

Once they were too far ahead of City in 19/20 they relaxed a bit.

It's easy to forget that in 2018 that it was just Pep and Klopp just scraped 4th and was considered no where near his level, nothing to say one of the current managers below can't mastermind their way into that conversation, hopefully ours.
Klopp has been on Peps level since Germany days to anyone who knew anything about football.

Tuchel isn’t on that level, I think Ten Haag has more chances of reaching it but neither are as of yet.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ole finished above Klopp last year. Look at United 1995-2003 and you will see what real dominance is.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Liverpool are clearly dominating the PL, the fact that there's an even bigger bully in Pep's City around doesn't change that. It just means that they aren't being rewarded with silverware for it. And Klopp's CL performance further underlines that.
Nonsense.

Sweet Square

The league is weaker now and easier to win for a oil club like City. This idea that football is always improving and getting better a just marketing effort to sell a over priced product to football fans.

Also I don’t get why Klopp is getting mentioned here. The guy has one league title so far and finished 3rd last season.

ShinjiNinja26

Liverpool are clearly dominating the PL, the fact that there's an even bigger bully in Pep's City around doesn't change that. It just means that they aren't being rewarded with silverware for it. And Klopp's CL performance further underlines that.
Well it does because you can’t dominate a league if there’s literally another club doing better than you. Dominating the league means being better than everyone else and winning the title at the end of it, and one title in 6 years for Klopp certainly isn’t that. Bayern winning 10 in a row in the Bundesliga now that’s dominating.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Probably because both are better coaches than Ferguson and in Pep's case also because he has ridiculous funding behind him.
It's 4)

Their teams are much better organized and sophisticated. Football has advanced. Ferguson was a great manager but his approach is outdated and outperformed these days.
Is this a German perception of Ferguson? Fergie didn't have a style - each one of his dominant sides were different from the other and were formulated to deal with what was around at the time. If Fergie was around now, we would have again adapted and play in whatever manner necessary to amass ridiculous points totals and we'd also have a far, far better squad than what was utilised back then. We'd have the coaches needed to facilitate what he wanted and wouldn't have skipped a beat. He is definition of eclectic, which is why no one label will ever fit his teams or approach to management.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well it does because you can’t dominate a league if there’s literally another club doing better than you. Dominating the league means being better than everyone else and winning the title at the end of it, and one title in 6 years for Klopp certainly isn’t that. Bayern winning 10 in a row in the Bundesliga now that’s dominating.
Wrong. Bayern AND Dortmund. Dortmund was 2nd best team in last 10 years so they are dominant team too. :wenger:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Is this a German perception of Ferguson? Fergie didn't have a style - each one of his dominant sides were different from the other and were formulated to deal with what was around at the time. If Fergie was around now, we would have again adapted and play in whatever manner necessary to amass ridiculous points totals and we'd also have a far, far better squad than what was utilised back then. We'd have the coaches needed to facilitate what he wanted and wouldn't have skipped a beat. He is definition of eclectic, which is why no one label will ever fit his teams or approach to management.
It’s German ignorance and desperation from some posters to call anything German great. The same desperation which calls Klopp dominating the league despite a grand total of 1 league titles.
This same poster who just claimed Klopp and Pep are better than Ferguson was also arguing a few weeks ago how Bayern (yes Bayern, not Madrid) have been the most dominant side in the CL in the last decade or so.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not really. It just means that there is a higher bar now and you just aren't good enough. As simple as that. The titles and table doesn't lie.

We missed the title by GD ? Do we cry over it and say, we still are the Champions? No, end of the day City won it and they deserved it

So stop this glorification of a manager who just has one title in 6 years.

Stacks

Oh yay another thread to wank over Pep and Klopp. They’ve spent a crazy amount of money, with the right people working behind the scenes to get the right players. United have spent a lot of money, but spent it on the wrong players.

Also, at the time of writing, Klopp has won 1 title.
multiple 90+ point finishes is what the author means. Why do they win so many matches and drop so few games? It makes their games almost a formality. Look at Citys most recent results too

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't think there is a German view of SAF. I just think that his biggest quality was longevity and football wise I'm fat more impressed by Klopp and Pep. I also think his CL record was rather poor, considering his reputation and United's stature, so that doesn't help either.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It’s German ignorance and desperation from some posters to call anything German great. The same desperation which calls Klopp dominating the league despite a grand total of 1 league titles.
This same poster who just claimed Klopp and Pep are better than Ferguson was also arguing a few weeks ago how Bayern (yes Bayern, not Madrid) have been the most dominant side in the CL in the last decade or so.
Nonsense.

And I said Bayern may have been the most consistent, not dominant.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The points totals Pep and Klopp are achieving are on average much higher than what Fergie achieved when he won all his EPLs. The question is why? Here are a few possibilities:

1) The EPL is weaker now
2) Pep and Klopp have better individuals in their first XIs than Fergie's sides did
3) Pep and Klopp have more squad depth that allows them to maintain a higher average standard
4) They are better coached/ play a style which is more consistent in steam rolling the weaker EPL sides

Are they any other options? Which factor makes the most difference? Or is my premise wrong about Pep and Klopp being that different?
I think it is down to the relative strength of their squads.
That and the rest of the top clubs not being anything like as good as that top 2.
But credit where it is due. Both Pep and Klopp are consistently doing the right thing in order to complete with eachother.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He is definition of eclectic, which is why no one label will ever fit his teams or approach to management.
Which is the reason why their teams are better. Guardiola and Klopp are coaches, Ferguson was a manager. His role basically doesn't exist anymore in modern football.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I doubt you'll find many people outside of England who believe Ferguson is a better manager than Guardiola. So Ferguson being the best ever sounds more like English ignorance to me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good post. Some of the rewriting of history when it comes to ManUtd is hilarious.

united_99

I doubt you'll find many people outside of England who believe Ferguson is a better manager than Guardiola. So Ferguson being the best ever sounds more like English ignorance to me.
There are many. I am German living in Germany and there are many people who rate SAF higher.

united_99

Nonsense.

And I said Bayern may have been the most consistent, not dominant.
Same. No team can be more consistent than a team which won 4 CLs in the last decade. You even went further and argued something ridiculous like how Bayern were often bookies’ favourite for a reason.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There are many. I am German living in Germany and there are many people who rate SAF higher.
Well if your attitude is "call SAF the greatest or it's German ignorance" , then we can't rule out that they agree with you out of politeness or because they don't want to debate you on that level.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think it's worth remembering how much we upset the Bundesliga fans during the 2 year Sancho saga to the point where they'll discredit anything related to United. Klopp being a better manager than Alex Ferguson is one of the more absurd opinions I've ever read on this forum but they're German so I get it, non-bias isn't their strong suit.

united_99

Well if your attitude is "call SAF the greatest" or it's German ignorance, then we can't rule out that they agree with you out of politeness or because they don't want to debate you on that level.
Oh yeah, whereas your opinions are surely highly valued by other people and people don’t just agree with you because they can’t be bothered to argue extremely ridiculous points.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think it's worth remembering how much we upset the Bundesliga fans during the 2 year Sancho saga to the point where they'll discredit anything related to United. Klopp being a better manager than Alex Ferguson is one of the more absurd opinions I've ever read on this forum but they're German so I get it, non-bias isn't their strong suit.
Don't forget about German sensation Josef Gardiola.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
2 more years and they will say Tuchel is better too.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I highly doubt that. Few will have an opinion on him to begin with. Many will probably just name Guardiola out of recency bias alone. And if you ask me, they're probably right

Siorac

I think it's worth remembering how much we upset the Bundesliga fans during the 2 year Sancho saga to the point where they'll discredit anything related to United.
As a non-German Manchester United fan, to me it looks more like the other way around: plenty of caftards seem to have an enormous chip on their shoulder when it comes to anything related to German football.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Oh yeah, whereas your opinions are surely highly valued by other people and people don’t just agree with you because they can’t be bothered to argue extremely ridiculous points.
Nonsense.
I never made the argument to represent some German opinion.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Don't forget about German sensation Josef Gardiola.
I specifically referred to what you said about Klopp, or else I would have mentioned Guardiola. Funny how that works?
As a non-German Manchester United fan, to me it looks more like the other way around: plenty of caftards seem to have an enormous chip on their shoulder when it comes to anything related to German football.
Feel free to point me to the plethora of United fans on a German forum discrediting Heynckes.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Actually we're good. As it's the case most of the time when discussing with the more tribal United fans in here, the Bundesliga Protection Alliance was right in the end.

Klopp is a better coach than Ferguson, Ferguson was a better manager than Klopp is. However, the role of the manager has fallen victim to the evolution because distributing Ferguson's responsibilities to a coach and a director of football instead proved to be more successful. So in a way, Ferguson is better than Klopp in doing a job that requires an inferior form of organization. In a way, Ferguson is like a classical number 10. No matter how good he is, in modern systems his role doesn't exist anymore. X