Why are pundits so bad? Especially ex United players

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well yeah, I more meant what’s given you that impression. The fact that he’s neutral in his commentary? The Glazers came to the club in 2003 and finalised it in 2005 so it’d be odd if his love for the club had waned due to them. At that rate you’d have to also ask if any of the ex class of ‘92 really still feel much for the club. They have all done done management gigs/big footballing projects outside of United and are fairly scathing of our current set up.
I’m not talking about any of the others, aside from Scholes who does a bit of punditry the rest are doing their own thing as you say. Scholes as scathing as he is, will still show his colours occasionally and jump in and stand up for the club if a pundit from a former rival gets a bit over zealous in their attacks on United. You still get to see that fire he has in his belly for United. I haven’t seen that in Neville for years and years and I suspect for the reasons I listed. Salford have his interest on an emotional level, he’s conditioned himself into a more neutral mindset for professional reasons and probably found it somewhat easier because of the way we are run these days.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I think they just dumb it down for the general public, after all they all have coaching badges at the highest level but never go into anything that involves that at all. It’s just the same old shite, he’s not trying hard enough, he’s made a mistake, poor performance.
They like to talk about bad tackles more than the game ffs.
Yep, I think that, too. Also the broadcasters probably coach them to do exactly that.

The analysis of games by pundits is strangely similar - even for different sports. Seems like with the right motivation and proper attitude you can always win the game...

Deery

Dreary
Yep, I think that, too. Also the broadcasters probably coach them to do exactly that.

The analysis of games by pundits is strangely similar - even for different sports. Seems like with the right motivation and proper attitude you can always win the game...
Yeah it’s all the same I turn off after full time so only really get halftime analysis which is enough, but I do find the RTE or Virgin (Irish TV) go into more detail on how the game is won or lost.

Sky and BT could really take a page out of their book, Souness for example goes into far more detail and is a really good pundit when on Irish TV but on a World Wide Broadcaster he is so dumbed down it’s unbelievable.
Think he said he couldn’t believe it when he was encouraged to say what he thinks because he doesn’t get the chance to on different channels.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Because fans know so much, and obviously more than ex pros these days

lsd

The Oracle
For me, and for many other non United fans, Rio will always be ridiculed because of this:

This is the pundits version of Gerrads never forgetful slip against Chelsea. It will tarnish his pundit career probably forever :lol:

He's a fanboy which is pleasing to United when things go well. Apart from that I probably think Neville is the best of the United bunch. He is critical and usually for a good reason. I don't like it when pundits say what the majority want to hear. I find him the most interesting of the bunch to listen to. HAs a great voice/accent for the job too.

That was every united fan after that game

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Ex Liverpool players are the worst pundits.

Souness with his racial stereotype agenda, his football is too soft it used to be a tough mans game agenda, Mcmanaman with his Liverpool bias, Carragher spitting at children,

Silverman

I never thought Joe Cole would make a pundit but I think he's quite good. He gets a bit over enthusiastic sometimes and the words don't come quick enough but overall he's quite good.
He is atrocious.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Punditry is ultimately entertainment (comprising of ‘controversy’ and ‘narratives’) more than it is about analysis, certainly on Sky Sports. Carragher and Neville do alright within that framework but any pundit they hire will need to tick those boxes.
Aye. There will be different metrics used to assess a studio such as fame (a lot of people will simply turn off if they see somebody they don't recognise), personality (the enthusiasm of a Rio, Wright or Savage), controversy (Sky always want one pundit stirring things up), eloquence (relaxed speakers put the viewer at ease) and analysis (spoonfed in most cases so not a priority for most shows).

So while there are a few duds out there purely on the basis of fame or for saying stupid stuff, a lot of current ex-pros actually meet a few of those criteria. We have to bear in mind that the folk on this forum are probably not that representative of the wider football-watching public. In general we probably want more knowledgeable analysis, but you can see how the likes of Match of the Day and Sky Sports try to cover all bases to appeal to a wider viewership.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
United pundits play-up to the online negativity surrounding the club. Evra in particular is just trying to go viral on a LUHG Twitter account. Neville also tries desperately not to be biased.

FrantikChicken

Scholes is the one that amazes me the most. How you go from being a puppet master on the pitch to such short sighted analysis as a pundit is quite something.
Evra's massive insta rant actually touched upon this. He mentioned how SAF would give a player like Giggs much more detailed tactical instructions than someone like Scholes. Seems like Scholesy was actually a pretty simple player. Knew his role and didn't really need to understand the intricacies of it all

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Some pundits dumb down for a certain audience while others are just dumb.

hubbuh

I’m not talking about any of the others, aside from Scholes who does a bit of punditry the rest are doing their own thing as you say. Scholes as scathing as he is, will still show his colours occasionally and jump in and stand up for the club if a pundit from a former rival gets a bit over zealous in their attacks on United. You still get to see that fire he has in his belly for United. I haven’t seen that in Neville for years and years and I suspect for the reasons I listed. Salford have his interest on an emotional level, he’s conditioned himself into a more neutral mindset for professional reasons and probably found it somewhat easier because of the way we are run these days.
I have a bit of a thing for people diminishing other fans' love/support for their respective clubs so I'll agree to disagree, interesting thought though.

jeff_goldblum

Evra's massive insta rant actually touched upon this. He mentioned how SAF would give a player like Giggs much more detailed tactical instructions than someone like Scholes. Seems like Scholesy was actually a pretty simple player. Knew his role and didn't really need to understand the intricacies of it all
Scholes comes across as someone who just instinctively knows the game. People who are 'naturals' in any field tend to be uniquely bad teachers/explainers. It's not that they don't understand what they're doing, they've just never had to think abstractly about it, they've never needed to have it explained to them because they just 'get it' and they don't really see why others find it difficult.

monosierra

Some of them are not good students of the game, it seens - compounded by the fact that most are poor communicators too. Great players don't necessarily make great managers or coaches - sometimes they are fixated on their positions within the field and lack the strategic thinking (Relying on world class instincts) to explain game plans and tactics (Even if their mind and body can react to such situations on the pitch).

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
There was one show where they analysed his Forest goals, and he said all he did was blindly run forward. There was also a goal where he chipped the keeper from twenty yards, which he claimed to be a simple finish as the keeper lost his bearings. No you prick, you were a stunning, world class player loved by all United fans :mad: He has to credit himself more tbf.

About pundits though, him, Neville and Rio are my favourites. I don’t see Neville insinuating problems and second-guessing Ole like the OP is strangely mentioning.
:lol: strangely...watch some recent punditry

RedDevil@84

Neville also tries desperately not to be biased.
I hate to hear Neville in a United game. He tries to be so unbiased that he becomes biased against us. Starts calling simple fouls on opposition as stonewall penalty and fouls on us as too soft to be called. It is almost nonsensical.

tomaldinho1

To be honest, they have such limited time due to adverts everything has to be dumbed down. It's also our fault as United fans because if the producers see Evra's rant and Keane's soundbites generating the most interest they will understandably ask for more of the same.

What is strange is how Scholes, probably my favourite United player of all time, is by far my least favourite pundit - I genuinely think he's awful. It's probably because the stuff we might find interesting to him should be obvious or has always been natural to him so he's never had to explain it but he's one who needs to get off the 'proper United [insert player position]' bandwagon pronto.

GNev is still the best for non United games - with United he's so scared of being seen as biased he just calls anything not clear cut the other way.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don’t know what people expect. Too much by the sounds of it. Or for every pundit to echo exactly what they think. People are way too invested in what pundits say.

Neville is a bit different because he’s clearly trying to make a career out of it.

They’re all scathing of United though because we’ve been shite.

MattofManchester

Because they tread a fine line of trying to suppress emotion and yet trying to be analytical, while being PC and also having to sound interesting.
They're also expected to know everything, when they don't, but because they're ex-players, pressure is placed on them to provide the best analysis.

I still enjoy listening and watching some of them though. Ian Wright, when he has a justified go at the officials and VAR, Keane for entertainment.

And in fairness, I'd rather have them on who get it right 25% of the time, than a couple journalists who are 50 thousand times worse and usually just end up trying to spin a story.

RashyForPM

:lol: strangely...watch some recent punditry
I watch every MNF simply to see people like Neville, Carragher, Keane and Evra (he’s not on MNF but I like him). GNev is just analysing in his usual manner. He loves Ole.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Nah, don't think they do so one bit. It comes natural to footballers to be boring and bland after all the stints doing press interviews. Few of them really show a natural side to them.

Another thing is having to do punditry on games you didn't watch. Neville is a lunatic and watches everything. The rest watch maybe half the games and only comment on the highlights, hence cliches. Another reason there are a lot of cliches is because what else are you going to say? We've seen these positives and negatives in football matches before.

Everyone can instantly watch every goal online immediately after it's been scored. The MNF format is so old and boring. The reason why people watch it is because there's literally nothing else and people like football too much. Football production is stale and conservative in its approach and it's the same everywhere. Culturally things might be done a bit differently but they've been done differently the same way for a long time.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Some pundits dumb down for a certain audience while others are just dumb.
Whenever i watch a clip from Motd or other english punditry and tv shows i always get astonished on how low the standards are in England. Every pundit in every show give the same lazy answers to every questions. Sometimes you get the sense that they’re saying all this vanilla stuff just so people at home can understand and not get bored.

R77

Whenever i watch a clip from Motd or other english punditry and tv shows i always get astonished on how low the standards are in England. Every pundit in every show give the same lazy answers to every questions. Sometimes you get the sense that they’re saying all this vanilla stuff just so people at home can understand and not get bored.
It's more or less prime time TV. While many of us wouldn't mind, it's not hard to see why dispensing Bielsa style tactical lectures to the general public isn't commonplace. Most of the fans I meet day to day, at work and so on, really couldn't give a sh*t about tactics. It's a good game or it's not. No one ever watched Top of the Pops for music theory seminars.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
To be honest, most of the pundits are ex-'Pool players and they are all the bottom of the pits! :lol:
If it wasn't for
Neville x2, Rio, Keane, Evra, Fletcher, Scholes, Owen, Hargreaves, Dublin, Higginbotham and probably others I can't recall United would hardly have anyone to fight the good fight.
So unfair ;)

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
If it wasn't for
Neville x2, Rio, Keane, Evra, Fletcher, Scholes, Owen, Hargreaves, Dublin, Higginbotham and probably others I can't recall United would hardly have anyone to fight the good fight.
So unfair ;)
You're so right my friend - so very unfair. :)

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
It's more or less prime time TV. While many of us wouldn't mind, it's not hard to see why dispensing Bielsa style tactical lectures to the general public isn't commonplace. Most of the fans I meet day to day, at work and so on, really couldn't give a sh*t about tactics. It's a good game or it's not. No one ever watched Top of the Pops for music theory seminars.
Yeah you’re right. But i feel it’s sometimes a huge disservice to some players who get slagged of by these ”experts” when in reality the tactic the team employ can make them do a certain thing on the pitch which can look questionable to the average supporter.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I've come around to Hargreaves a lot. His first few years were awful, he was so inarticulate, he could barely string a sentence together. He's decent now, one of few British pundits who seems to be knowledgeable of football outside of the Premier League.

Higginbotham is good too.

meamth

This is so terrible I'm really doubting whether they truly watch the game, or watching all other games simultaneously.

Craig Burley you wanker.

McTerminator

Gary Neville’s commentary often makes me feel physically ill.

he’a absolutely atrocious and in my opinion the most biased of all pundits against United which is just embarrassing.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I hate how Lianne Sanderson seems to be everywhere at the moment.

Her voice is nails down a blackboard and she derails every conversation to instead talk about “Manchestunited” (always one word) and will use “we” or “us” about fifteen times like it’s fanzone or something. She’s clearly a diversity hire but surely there are other black or mixed race women available who could actually provide some professionalism and insight and don’t sound like Kat Slater.

lsd

The Oracle
Who was the woman on BT Sport for the Newcastle? She was horrible never stopped talking all through the game yet said nothing of any interest.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Who was the woman on BT Sport for the Newcastle? She was horrible never stopped talking all through the game yet said nothing of any interest.
Lucy Ward, didn't watch the Newcastle game but she did our game with Fulham and I thought she was decent

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
The public are constantly underestimated.

TV companies believe that the public do not want or care about detailed analysis, insightful comments or well-thought-out answers. They think that all they need to keep viewers happy is a familiar name who can crack an occasional joke. To an extent, unfortunately, they may be right.

But a lot of us would rather listen to an ex-player give us a window into the mind of a professional footballer than the same overemployed names repeating tired clichés. I like to hope that, slowly, punditry is swinging in that direction- much like management, where the 'old guard' is slowly being phased out. Time will tell.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
My biggest problem with pundits is when they state their opinion as fact. Especially when it comes to the laws of the game. Pundits should have to take a refs course before they are allowed on TV. They spread their misinformation and the muppets eat it all up...

lsd

The Oracle
Lucy Ward, didn't watch the Newcastle game but she did our game with Fulham and I thought she was decent

Maybe the game but she just never seemed to stop talking and seemed to explain everything twice like they need to move up the pitch run up the pitch.

Still better than Gary Neville going "ooooohhhhh "

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
My biggest problem with pundits is when they state their opinion as fact. Especially when it comes to the laws of the game. Pundits should have to take a refs course before they are allowed on TV. They spread their misinformation and the muppets eat it all up...
It’s been refreshing this season to not hear much (any?) of Garry Birtles. He constantly ruined games with his over-opinionated whinging about everything.