Why are some of you happy that we have lost tonight?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah they weren't very good either (Lingard was ok) but not as bad as Martial. What I meant was we managed to create a tonne of chances as a team and if we had a better striker we would have scored a few.
Didnt seem to be many clear cut chances. Just a lot of shots.

amolbhatia50k

If we cared about it we wouldn’t have made 11 changes to the starting XI.

I’m far from Ole’s biggest fan here but I’m not bothered one bit about this. He will live or die by the PL/CL, and rightly so.
I am bothered by it because it yet again shows that he's not the man to take us to glory. Only time before that becomes apparent in the trophies everyone cares about. Even with our B team we should be playing better football and winning such matches.

tomaldinho1

Because there are too many games in a season and going out in the first round of a nothing trophy betters our chances elsewhere, even if only slightly. I’m not an Ole fan but I think more of him for playing the second string last night, he obviously didn’t throw the game but this shouldn’t be used as a negative against him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If you have to go out, it might as well be as early as possible.
But there are only a handful of trophies and that's one fewer now.

I dare say if we win a few games in a row we won't give it a second thought though.

Annoying to lose to Moyes though.

InfiniteBoredom

I am bothered by it because it yet again shows that he's not the man to take us to glory. Only time before that becomes apparent in the trophies everyone cares about. Even with our B team we should be playing better football and winning such matches.
Chelsea also struggled to beat Villa at home and they had more first XI players playing than us. Regardless of the perceived differences in quality on paper, a team that went in cold and never started a game together this season is going to perform like shit, we’ve been there before under SAF, losing to Leeds (in League 1 at the time) at home, or scraped past Crawley 1-0 in the FAC.

I have no illusion about Ole’s coaching abilities. If we are to win anything of note this season it will be due to the ‘moments’ our star players can produce, and reducing their workload boosts the chance of those moments happening, if only just a tiny bit.

amolbhatia50k

Chelsea also struggled to beat Villa at home and they had more first XI players playing than us. Regardless of the perceived differences in quality on paper, a team that went in cold and never started a game together this season is going to perform like shit, we’ve been there before under SAF, losing to Leeds (in League 1 at the time) at home, or scraped past Crawley 1-0 in the FAC.

I have no illusion about Ole’s coaching abilities. If we are to win anything of note this season it will be due to the ‘moments’ our star players can produce, and reducing their workload boosts the chance of those moments happening, if only just a tiny bit.
Chelsea are CL winners under Tuchel and their improvement, especially tactically, has been enormous in a short span of time. He has less to prove than Ole. Surely you understand why people react differently to us going out of the EFL under Ole than say if it happens to Pep/SAF (not the case as Tuchel but same logic)?

Strelok

I'm not happy, but not unhappy either. Guess I'm half the disgrace then :D

Truth is I simply can't care less about this cup. Good chance to play the backups and youngsters though.

Bertie Wooster

Some seem to be questioning the point raised in the title.

I read the prediction line up thread in the build up. There were definitely posts (I didn't note the names) stating they'll be happy to lose as it's a 'pointless' / 'nothing' / 'tinpot' cup that's just a 'distraction' and they 'couldn't care less' and 'the sooner we're out of it the better', etc.

And similar sentiments have been expressed here and on the post match thread after the defeat. There's definitely some that are happy enough to see us lose domestic cup games to focus solely on the league and CL.

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

Chelsea are CL winners under Tuchel and their improvement, especially tactically, has been enormous in a short span of time. He has less to prove than Ole. Surely you understand why people react differently to us going out of the EFL under Ole than say if it happens to Pep/SAF (not the case as Tuchel but same logic)?
Unless you can sack him now and replace him with Zidane, for instance, getting mad about a League Cup exit doesn’t solve anything.

For me, it’s simple. I couldn’t care less about this competition, and looking at the XI we put out, our coaching staff don’t either. And given our Oct-Nov fixtures, especially with CL group qualification on the line, it’s a call I agree with, regardless of reservations about that coaching staff.

Distraction from what exactly?
Competitions that matter?

The League Cup has been a joke for years and even the FA Cup is going that way.

But if the manager doesn't have the conviction to win the premier League or the champions League then surely he has to be sacked ?

These are the types of scenarios that people use to critique someone like Poch (for not winning anything) but then regard as merit for Ole. As far as I can see Solskjaer hasn't won anything as a United manager, elimination from cup competitions does this aid this objective of winning or contradict it ? That's the question people need to be asking themselves. As it stands Ole is piling more pressure on himself. If the minimum deliverable is the premier league or the UCL does he have enough in his management capabilities to pull through.

There's enough squad depth for United to challenge every competition.
Agree with all except the last part. We have a great first team that should be challenging the league and Champions League. Our squad is weak though and last night was an opportunity some of them took to show they can play well. The result doesn't matter because we would never play an all second team like that, but we do need to know who can perform if we drop them in the first team.

Ole is not going to be judged on this Cup. If we won it it wouldn't be much of a credit in his favour either.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm not particularly happy about losing tonight, however I was far more annoyed about losing last week against the poorest team in our CL group, which has now put pressure on us to win the next game. The reason I would be annoyed about this evening is it is a competition gone to give fringe players minutes, although again drawing City next would have likely kicked that into touch as well. Not sure Ole would have dared put this team out against them. I just hope we give the F. A. Cup a good go and he has now realised that a couple of these players need ditching as soon as possible. We had chances, but were wasteful, take just one of them and it likely would have been different.

SER19

If we won this trophy but limped to 4th and out in cl last 16 people would want him sacked. Its unfortunate but its become a nothing competition that causes nothing but hassle later in season.

Even this early, winning would have meant a game sandwiched between Liverpool and spurs

If our fringe players wanted more minutes they should've given it all to get those minutes.

Not too bothered about being out. The Thailand sponsor Cup was just an opportunity for the lesser involved players. They didn't take their chance.

We still have the FA Cup but I'm guessing Solskjær will line up a bit stronger in that Cup.

J'bigman'T

We lost 2-0 at home to Coventry in 07/08 and that season turned out fine.
Not that I'm comparing, but we've been there before. It's a nothing cup and I'd rather have lost that match than any other one we've got coming up

United in sin

Some of you guys must be new fans because the United i grew up watching was never one that didn't wanna win a cup, regardless of how small.
This.

I mentioned in another post how most will brag about United being the most successful club in English football with 66 trophies to Liverpool's 65. With today's mindset of snubbing noses up at the so called Mickey mouse cups then only our 20 league titles and 3 CL triumphs count

GMoore23

I'm furious at being knocked out and just can't grasp how a so called fan can be glad we're out. It's the same every season
At Manchester United we shouldn't be settling for Mediocrity.
Man City have won the trophy 6 times in the last 8 years. They didn't achieve that with a defeatist mentality like some on here.
The fact is we fielded a b team costing somewhere in the region of 330m last night and couldn't beat west hams b team costing only around 80m.
They played us off the park before taking the lead. They then decided to sit back and protect their lead which they did very well.
I don't buy into this 'we dominated the game and were unlucky' view as if we'd equalised earlier who's to say West Ham wouldn't have pushed forward again and scored another.
They still had the 2 best clear cut chances in the game other than the goal.

I'm fed up with the lethargic way in which we start games making every team we play look world class.

RoyH1

No one should be happy. We should strive to win every game we play in.

That said, I do think this a nothing competition. Absolutely irrelevant and unneeded for clubs like ours. We already have a cup competition, the biggest and most famous national competition of its kind in the world; we participate in three competitions as it is.

I don't know what the penalty would be, but I would choose Just not to participate

Siorac

I'm not happy but I didn't care much about this cup when we won itso it's only fair I don't get bent out of shape when we lose either.

The only negative is that fringe players will have fewer opportunities to play.

meamth

I forgot about the fixture. Seriously. :lol:

Watched squid game till fell asleep and didn't realize there was a game.

Ted1985

I am not happy we lost, but I am not unhappy either. The players who needs minute had their chance to prove them self, and they didnt. They can now blame them self when their cheeks are hugging the bench all the time.

AFC NimbleThumb

Weird species of Utd fans who still think we should be throwing away chances to win something, instead of trying to win everything.
This is exactly the point.

The same fans saying they’re not bothered we lost because we can now focus on the League & UCL will be the same ones clambering to tell everyone how we were never going to win those 2 anyway when/if we don’t win them. We lost in the EL Semis & Final playing our strongest side & there was even mental gymnastics to downplay those games as insignificant - the standards aren’t on the floor they’re in the basement.

It’s been shown quite a lot recently that you can win/compete in the league cup & still put forth a title challenge - it’s another chance at silverware out the door.

the_answer

Even on Fifa/Pes and FM Id gladly crash out of the cups as early as possible or use it as a chance to play the youngsters.
Its just such a nothing competition.

1. CL .............. 2. PL.................................................3.FA Cup.................................................................................................. 4. League Cup

I remember nearly every winner and every goal scored in the CL finals since 1997 (remember that Ricken goal?). I remember the big moments and the emotions.
I remember when we crashed out against Porto and when we beat Madrid after that Beckham freekick to still go out due to Ronaldo scoring a hattrick in the first leg.

I genuinely dont know who won the League Cup last year (was it City?) or the year before (I would bet on City again). And I dont know when we won the League Cup last time.

This is exactly the point.

The same fans saying they’re not bothered we lost because we can now focus on the League & UCL will be the same ones clambering to tell everyone how we were never going to win those 2 anyway when/if we don’t win them. We lost in the EL Semis & Final playing our strongest side & there was even mental gymnastics to downplay those games as insignificant - the standards aren’t on the floor they’re in the basement.

It’s been shown quite a lot recently that you can win/compete in the league cup & still put forth a title challenge - it’s another chance at silverware out the door.
Because, and thats my personal opinion...
the league cup is not even a trophy. Ole winning it doesnt change anything. Arsenal winning it or not winning it doesnt change anything.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The only competition that Utd had a realistic chance of winning. Ole needs a trophy and Utd were at home. A massively dissapointing result for Utd and for Ole's future.
Thanks Pessimistic Paul.

Think this says more about your belief in Ole than the team itself.

The team is more than capable of challenging for the PL and the UCL and the FA Cup. Have some belief. We're joint top (if not for Goal Difference) for christ sakes. Give it 10 games and you'll get a good idea of where the team may end up. If we continue this good run, I can see us giving it a real go and pushing City/Liverpool/Chelsea far.

Becks_VII

Im a little disappointed we lost the game, but considering the team we had out, I wasnt expecting a very good performance. I would have been way more upset if it was a league match. It just heaps more pressure on Ole winning a trophy and the fringe players are the ones who miss out on game time considering we are out now with FA Cup not on until January and CL looks like we will need to be starting our strongest 11 for the rest of the group stage.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea also struggled to beat Villa at home and they had more first XI players playing than us.
We made ten changes to the team that beat Spurs over the weekend. The only one who kept his place was Kepa, who is our backup goalie playing because Mendy is injured.

I guess 1 is more than 0 so you're right!

Crashoutcassius

Don't think it mattered but the positive is ole gave some chances where other years he might have played a strong side. Would have liked at least one more tie before Christmas rush to give more oops to martial / telles / big beek.

romufc

No one is happy losing games but if we were to lose a game, this would be it. West Ham now have City in the next round, if we got through, Ole would have played a strong team.

Considering when those matches are to be played, I am happy we are out of it. It is clear that some players do not deserve a first team place.

Telles, Martial, Mata, Lingard all failed really.

Lindelof and Donny are the only ones really who played decent.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
i am happy because it was the result mark noble brexit deserved after an immigrant saved his very british penalty at the weekend. it was unfortunate that mark accidentally fouled another brit but at least the ref let him get away with it.

Olecurls99

Some of you guys must be new fans because the United i grew up watching was never one that didn't wanna win a cup, regardless of how small.
I remember Fergie playing kids in the league cup quite a lot. I also remember heading off to Brazil and pulling out of the Fa Cup. Do me a favour.

Bosws87

Don't have to wake up to this email this morning and another £-30.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Thanks Pessimistic Paul.

Think this says more about your belief in Ole than the team itself.

The team is more than capable of challenging for the PL and the UCL and the FA Cup. Have some belief. We're joint top (if not for Goal Difference) for christ sakes. Give it 10 games and you'll get a good idea of where the team may end up. If we continue this good run, I can see us giving it a real go and pushing City/Liverpool/Chelsea far.
We will know everything we need to know by Christmas.

Gonçalo Motta

I would be happy if this competition was burning the main team because the focus should be on the Premier League and Champions League.

Since its still a title, we could heavily rotate and give minutes to less used players, I'm not sure why is there any reason to be happy.

Tbf this team just feels a bit toothless without Cavani/Ronaldo upfront, so I'm pretty sure that our chances of winning it were slim while rotating.

Still, no excuse to be kicked out by West Ham

Zlatattack

We should be taking the league cup seriously.

1. It's no longer the Fergie era where we were assured of a trophy every season. We have a lot more genuine competitors whilst we are no longer invincible. A trophy is better than no trophy, even if it's mildly better.
2. The league cup was used by Fergie as a great way to experiment with new players or give squad players a run out. We should have had 3-4-5 new faces in the team last night, not 11.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We should be taking the league cup seriously.

1. It's no longer the Fergie era where we were assured of a trophy every season. We have a lot more genuine competitors whilst we are no longer invincible. A trophy is better than no trophy, even if it's mildly better.
2. The league cup was used by Fergie as a great way to experiment with new players or give squad players a run out. We should have had 3-4-5 new faces in the team last night, not 11.
Were we feck