Why are some of you happy that we have lost tonight?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Happy isn’t the word I’d use but I’m definitely looking at it in a glass half full kind of way. It gives us some kind of advantage in the league.

bdspeedy

Three points out of an easy nine this week is a disgrace. We are a saved pen from winding up with one point out of nine in this past week. Nowhere near good enough.

frostbite

I don't think anyone is happy.

I think people are upset.

We have a good squad and we expected that we'd be doing better than what we are doing at the moment. Losing to Young Boys and to West Ham second string players is definitely frustrating for many of us.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't think anyone is happy.

I think people are upset.

We have a good squad and we expected that we'd be doing better than what we are doing at the moment. Losing to Young Boys and to West Ham second string players is definitely frustrating for many of us.
That's debatable. We have a squad, some of the players are good but others are way off being good enough. It was evident enough last night. I would have been happier if we had lost with more of the younger players featuring. Elanga coming on late in the game while Martial ran around achieving nothing was very frustrating

Micky Targaryen

Look, we get it. Majority of you couldn’t care less about this “tinpot” cup. However the club and the team should care about this cup. Because every trophy counts. So what has this defeat proven? That we deliberately proven that we shouldn’t give anymore minutes to our B team? That Ole’s trophyless run continues? That Moyes led team plays better football than us?

I couldn’t give a shit whether fans care about this cup or not. The club, the coach, the players on the pitch, however, should.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The cup competitions are a lottery though, so haven't some sort of expectation that we have to win one is nonsensical. Sure getting knocked out of the league Cup last night is dissapointing but it happens we had a tricky draw, played a second string should of won the game on balance missed chances just one of those nights against a notoriously stubborn side.

Managers get judged on league position its a far better guide of where we are at. So far so good in that regards. If come march/April we are way out of contention then questions will and should be asked. But going all in on ole over the second string getting knocked out of the league cup? Not sure about that Especially after his record in the cups is actually quite decent.
No white text?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Look, we get it. Majority of you couldn’t care less about this “tinpot” cup. However the club and the team should care about this cup. Because every trophy counts. So what has this defeat proven? That we deliberately proven that we shouldn’t give anymore minutes to our B team? That Ole’s trophyless run continues? That Moyes led team plays better football than us?

I couldn’t give a shit whether fans care about this cup or not. The club, the coach, the players on the pitch, however, should.
Was us bringing on Bruno and playing 8 in attack by the end not enough to illustrate a will to win?

Inigo Montoya

Was us bringing on Bruno and playing 8 in attack by the end not enough to illustrate a will to win?
Desperation time. Disjointed and no shape. We should have conceded again when that happened

vanrooney

it was a chance to give fringe players minutes and if we had progressed also young players would have a chance to play, so its sad that we went out. on the other hand i am glad that there is no chance that we will play our first eleven in this unimportant cup if we would have come up against city or pool for example. in the end its the league cup and the performance wasnt that bad, so let it be and look forward to villa

Olecurls99

There’s still people around who think United and Ferguson wanted to withdraw from the FA Cup?
Keano said he was happy to go and get some sunshine in January but that it probably meant more to the English players

Inigo Montoya

it was a chance to give fringe players minutes and if we had progressed also young players would have a chance to play, so its sad that we went out. on the other hand i am glad that there is no chance that we will play our first eleven in this unimportant cup if we would have come up against city or pool for example. in the end its the league cup and the performance wasnt that bad, so let it be and look forward to villa
It was abysmal leading up to the goal and OK after but playing with 10 men didn't help

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
That competition is the battle of the benches. And I already knew ours is weak. So it's just a shrug.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How it has been a joke? Granted, it is not a first tier trophy, but it is good enough for one of the greatest managers of all time to win it 4 times in a row. And before that, it was won by another great manager.

The managers who have won it in the last 5 years: Pep Guardiola x4, Jose Mourinho.

Surely, not a small trophy for them, especially not for Guardiola who in addition have won more trophies than the number of good games United has played under Ole. But yeah, beneath the mighty Ole.
Agree with you.
The time when you can be more selective about which competitions you prioritise is when you have a record of winning. Not when you have yet to actually win a trophy.

vanrooney

It was abysmal leading up to the goal and OK after but playing with 10 men didn't help
didnt think it was so bad - no real edge but quite ok. but i couldnt care less, its like a friendly for me. even winnin this cup doesnt give me much.

frostbite

That's debatable. We have a squad, some of the players are good but others are way off being good enough. It was evident enough last night. I would have been happier if we had lost with more of the younger players featuring. Elanga coming on late in the game while Martial ran around achieving nothing was very frustrating
Is it debatable that we have a better squad than Young Boys and to West Ham second string?

frostbite

That competition is the battle of the benches. And I already knew ours is weak. So it's just a shrug.
Do you mean our bench is weaker than the bench of West Ham?

We basically did not sell anyone this summer and we added world class players. And our bench is weaker than the bench of West Ham? Really?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Easier to shrug off because it's the carabao and it was a B side team against top half PL team.

Hard to criticize Ole because this XI has no "individual brilliance" :wenger:

Inigo Montoya

Is it debatable that we have a better squad than Young Boys and to West Ham second string?
Not the question being asked though was it. The Young Boys game was clusterfeck but last night was disappointing as we were at home and our fringe players didn't measure up. It's obvious that we have players who aren't 'good enough' , for Utd, or are you disputing that?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how effective: Bailly, Mata,Martial were last night against a competitive West Ham mainly second string?

Not a plastic hoe.

I would say the ones who claim not to "care" are just doing this to cope with the fact that we lost.
I bet u that had we won and like some other top club got eliminated (chelsea man city etc) those same people who are saying that this cup is "irrelevant" would all over here bantering and questioning the "tactics" of whoever lost :rolleyes:

Barthez

Did I want us to lose? - No
Am I happy we lost? - No
Did I want us to go through? - Yes
Will I lose any sleep that we are out? - No
Thoughts 22 hrs later? - I feel no great disappoint that we lost.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Do you mean our bench is weaker than the bench of West Ham?

We basically did not sell anyone this summer and we added world class players. And our bench is weaker than the bench of West Ham? Really?
It's a bit more complicated than that. I think we play very basic bitch football in tactical terms but the very high individual talent of our players makes it work in many situations. Jesse's goal on Sunday owed little to tactics after all. And we tend to keep the same-ish first XIs so they are quite good at improvising with each other.

As soon as you take that away you can see more clearly that we aren't well drilled to a sophisticated playing style that players can just slot into. Throw them all together and you don't really have a team.

That said I don't really watch the game yesterday so I could be talking out of my ass. That's just how it usually goes though with our second string team. Awful performance and Ole throws on a couple of stars late in the second half to try to to nick a draw/win.

PSV

I'm completely indifferent to the fact we went out and have no problems admitting it. Ever since I started supporting United I've seen it as a pointless cup. Why even have two cups?

After France removed theirs ahead of last season there's now only two non-UK European countries that run this silly second cup tournament (Portugal and Iceland). Abolish it already will you?

Josh 76

Did I want us to lose? - No
Am I happy we lost? - No
Did I want us to go through? - Yes
Will I lose any sleep that we are out? - No
Thoughts 22 hrs later? - I feel no great disappoint that we lost.
48 hours later ? Did we even play in midweek

Inigo Montoya

It's a bit more complicated than that. I think we play very basic bitch football in tactical terms but the very high individual talent of our players makes it work in many situations. Jesse's goal on Sunday owed little to tactics after all. And we tend to keep the same-ish first XIs so they are quite good at improvising with each other.

As soon as you take that away you can see more clearly that we aren't well drilled to a sophisticated playing style that players can just slot into. Throw them all together and you don't really have a team.

Thuilkat said I don't really watch the game yesterday so I could be talking out of my ass. That's just how it usually goes though with our second string team. Awful performance and Ole throws on a couple of stars late in the second half to try to to nick a draw/win.
That's nonsense TBH. I was at the game on Sunday and the build was measured. designed to free Lingard up. We're deserving of criticism when we underperform but on Sunday we were the better team against a well organised side

GazTheLegend

Some of you guys must be new fans because the United i grew up watching was never one that didn't wanna win a cup, regardless of how small.
You what

Alex Ferguson was literally the first manager to throw away the carabao cup (or rumbelows cup (which yes he won) or littlewoods cup or whatever) because he realised how negatively it could impact our performance in other competitions. He started playing youth players in it against teams like arsenal at full strength he gave that little of a shit.

If losing to West ham means we have a 1% higher chance of winning the league it's fine. But obviously for fringe players and ole it would have been nice to go through, but let's not be revisionist and pretend it matters. And anyway, we battered West ham, we deserved a penalty, we deserved to win the game, and bla bla but we went out and boo hoo it happens, move on to the next real game we go again.

Inigo Montoya

You what

Alex Ferguson was literally the first manager to throw away the carabao cup (or rumbelows cup (which yes he won) or littlewoods cup or whatever) because he realised how negatively it could impact our performance in other competitions. He started playing youth players in it against teams like arsenal at full strength he gave that little of a shit.

If losing to West ham means we have a 1% higher chance of winning the league it's fine. But obviously for fringe players and ole it would have been nice to go through, but let's not be revisionist and pretend it matters. And anyway, we battered West ham, we deserved a penalty, we deserved to win the game, and bla bla but we went out and boo hoo it happens, move on to the next real game we go again.
Is that why he won it 4 times and was a losing finalist twice? :smirk: Because he threw it away?

lex talionis

No one is “happy”, but no one should be in a state of panic either. The upcoming matches against Aston Villa, Villarreal and Everton are much more important for us to win. And if we do win those three matches, the defeat to West Ham will be in the rear view mirror.

GazTheLegend

lsd

The Oracle
I'm not delighted were lost but at the same time in not gonna moan as we did not deserve to win.

It was a poor team selection and highlights we have a shocking number of players on high wages who are really not very good at all.

I wish we had played the young lads instead of people like Martial who I am stuck of watching wearing our shirt.

GazTheLegend

I'm not delighted were lost but at the same time in not gonna moan as we did not deserve to win.

It was a poor team selection and highlights we have a shocking number of players on high wages who are really not very good at all.

I wish we had played the young lads instead of people like Martial who I am stuck of watching wearing our shirt.
I mean sure but they battered West Ham and did enough to win the game easily if Moss wasn't a prick. I'd prefer MORE youth players too but to be fair they played Bradford away the other night in the EFL trophy and beat them three nothing away from home.

Inigo Montoya

GazTheLegend

You are obviously privy to SAF's mindset so I'll bow to your knowledge.
Well, I've just demonstrated exactly what happens when you play reserves against a Premier League side, haven't I? Things don't always go the way you expect. Do you want more anecdotal evidence?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Is that why he won it 4 times and was a losing finalist twice? :smirk: Because he threw it away?
There’s a lot of revisionism here. I think it is fair to say Ferguson gave it short shift, like many managers did, in his first 15 or so years here, which is why our record in it was very average. Wenger didn’t care much about it either and so it was a bit overlooked. United didn’t have rivals emerging and threatening to take a foothold through the competition, so it could remain a footnote as long as the more high profile trophies were regularly won. That all changed when Liverpool under Houllier and Chelsea under Mourinho started to target it as a way of picking up silverware and eroding United’s dominance. United’s record in the competition at this point noticeably picked up in what became a very keenly contested battleground.

There’s too many daft opinions in this thread to highlight them all, but the idea that Ferguson would be comfortable with Manchester City and Guardiola’s dominance in this competition is completely ludicrous. He would absolutely have United competing on all fronts.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

There’s a lot of revisionism here. I think it is fair to say Ferguson gave it short shift, like many managers did, in his first 15 or so years here, which is why our record in it was very average. That all changed when Liverpool under Houllier and Chelsea under Mourinho started to target it as a way of picking up trophies and eroding United’s dominance. United’s record in the competition at this point noticeably picked up to contest this particular battleground.

There’s too many daft opinions in this thread to highlight them all, but the idea that Ferguson would be comfortable with Manchester City and Guardiola’s dominance in this competition is completely ludicrous. He would absolutely have United competing on all fronts.
My point exactly but you've put it better

RedDevil@84

Not to forget how Ole used to say "We are Manchester United. We go into all competitions to win" till last year. This year is "We gave it a good go"