Why are some of you happy that we have lost tonight?

Flytan

4. Some (in fact, many) have never and will never care about this particular competition. It’s always been a nothing trophy. There’s a reason Fergie and Wenger only ever played the kids.
Then why didn't our manager play the kids? He played multiple players most sane fans think have no future here. If he didn't care about winning it, make a statement and use youth. But ole is too much of a coward to do that so instead he plays old fringe players.

Then subs on a few top players to fight for a draw.

He clearly cares about it, he just failed again

Dominos

I'm disappointed we're out especially to a Moyes team.

It's all well and good saying who cares about the league Cup but when we won it in 06 it was a catalyst for bigger things not to mention we haven't won anything for over 4 years.

No Utd fan should be happy with that.
Really is no evidence that there's any cause and effect there. For every United in 06 there's a United under LVG/Mourinho cup wins, Arsenal's recent FA cup wins, Birmingham league cup, Wigan's FA cup, Portsmouth FA cup, Kenny's Liverpool league cup win, Juande Ramos Spurs league cup. All of which lead to several seasons of failure.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Then why didn't our manager play the kids? He played multiple players most sane fans think have no future here. If he didn't care about winning it, make a statement and use youth. But ole is too much of a coward to do that so instead he plays old fringe players.

Then subs on a few top players to fight for a draw.

He clearly cares about it, he just failed again
I never said Ole doesn’t care about it. He’s obviously desperate for his first trophy. Even a clearly second rate trophy that I, personally, have never given a shit about.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not really. It was never going to give our kids any playing time. That's a total pipe dream.

The ones who will miss out the most from going out are Lingard, Martial, Henderson, Matic, Mata and Bailly. i.e. the deadweight. All given new contracts recently that they shouldn't have been (or in Lingard's case offered). More fool us now they all have one less competition to play in and we can't claw back a tiny bit of value from them.
You've just seen Elanga feature; further down the road, it could have been Mejbri and Diallo, now it indubitably won't be.

Keeping squaddies fresh and ready for rotation is never a bad thing.

As long as people here don't have the nerve to complain when or if the time comes we need these squaddies to come in and do a job in the 1st team, it's all good.
Those squad players had it in them to do something about it and they failed
What does that have to do with the point I'm making?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
:lol: Eh, no. I don’t think that’s got anything to do with it.
Since Chelsea onto the scene and big money reshaped football, if I look at all the big European leagues and the super clubs that inhabit them, all of them are competitive on all fronts during their periods of success.

Liverpool under Klopp are pretty much the only exception to grab league and CL titles without much regard to other cups. Madrid under Zidane too are a bit of an oddity in how much CL success they had relative to domestic football where Barca were much more consistent.

The idea that a club is good enough to realistically win a domestic league and/or CL, but chooses not to be all-conquering, doesn’t appear honest nowadays. The sides winning the cups are more likely to be the sides winning their domestic league and Champions League.

Whilst in Ferguson and Wenger’s early days, the League Cup was overlooked, Mourinho and Guardiola raised the bar in terms of expectations of champions to try and win everything domestically.

Acquire Me

Since Chelsea onto the scene and big money reshaped football, if I look at all the big European leagues and the super clubs that inhabit them, all of them are competitive on all fronts during their periods of success.

Liverpool under Klopp are pretty much the only exception to grab league and CL titles without much regard to other cups. Madrid under Zidane too are a bit of an oddity in how much CL success they had relative to domestic football where Barca were much more consistent.

The idea that a club is good enough to realistically win a domestic league and/or CL, but chooses not to be all-conquering, doesn’t appear honest nowadays.

The sides winning the cups are more likely to be the sides winning their domestic league and Champions League. Whilst in Ferguson and Wenger’s early days, the League Cup was overlooked, Mourinho and Guardiola raised the bar in terms of expectations of champions to try and win everything domestically.
Even more naive than me then :lol:

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Big or small we should have enough depth to win every game. I'm not moaning or whining, I just think that we should go out to every game with a winning mentality. They need to fear us...everywhere.

Ananke

Big or small we should have enough depth to win every game. I'm not moaning or whining, I just think that we should go out to every game with a winning mentality. They need to fear us...everywhere.
Absolutely agree, I just don’t think that mentality has seeped into the squad rotation players yet. I think with the arrival of Ronaldo it’s started to rub off on first team players.

Our second squad tonight (on paper) you should think cleans up that West Ham side with ease at OT.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s another point in the column “why I think we will never win a trophy with Ole”. If you say that, then you care too much and are being stupid.

So it’s genuinely hard to make any comments anymore on the forum. This is another poor performance and a bad result in a cup competition and I am unhappy that we lost and despondent about our chances to win something.

It doesn’t make me happy believing that Ole isn’t good enough to win trophies. Not at all. I would love it if he was.

croadyman

Yes I can see how it could benefit us being able to rest over half of the first XI, however there are genuine concerns that when these fringe players are needed for important games (will happen) they are unfortunately now going to come in cold

MattofManchester

From a club that wanted to win everything with one of the most demanding fanbases to a club that just hopes to achieve top 4 and can't even compete in the "smallest cup".

Happy days.

hobbers

You've just seen Elanga feature; further down the road, it could have been Mejbri and Diallo, now it indubitably won't be.
Nah this was the third round. Inevitably the 4th and 5th rounds are against better teams and Ole picks progressively stronger sides, or at least this is what happened in the last two seasons.

Maybe Diallo gets on for 10 minutes if we're winning comfortably but that sort of game time is pretty worthless to be honest.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Absolutely agree, I just don’t think that mentality has seeped into the squad rotation players yet. I think with the arrival of Ronaldo it’s started to rub off on first team players.

Our second squad tonight (on paper) you should think cleans up that West Ham side with ease at OT.
I can't understand how professional footballers can lack the drive to win. Some of them are among the best in the world. You have to be top tier to be to play for a club like United yet sometimes they don't act like it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Nah this was the third round. Inevitably the 4th and 5th rounds are against better teams and Ole picks progressively stronger sides, or at least this is what happened in the last two seasons.

Maybe Diallo gets on for 10 minutes if we're winning comfortably but that sort of game time is pretty worthless to be honest.
We’ll never know now, will we? And it’s not just the kids this impacts, as I said before: there’s a bunch of players who won’t get run outs now who we may need for the “proper” stuff who may well fall flat now as they won’t be match sharp etc.

Fergie playing the squads/teams he did had ”real world“ functionality; it’s not a good competition to go out of early unless you have a thin squad it burdens rather than aids; we’ve got the most bloated squad I think we’ve ever had. It stands to reason we need this competition more than ever to keep so many squaddies fresh and ready.

We also need to thread a winning mentality throughout the squad.

For me personally, the biggest disappointment is seeing the avenue for our youngsters being cut off. All they have left now is u-23’s and waiting for loans in January.

Charlie Foley

Really gutted to have lost. With the squad we have we should challenge for everything now we're already out of one of the cups... it's poor.

Also it's not good for the fringe players who won't get as many chances in the first team.
This is my thought.

Abraxas

I find it annoying.

Firstly because it's a trophy to be won and they've been in short supply.

Secondly because it feels like we've gone out and learnt nothing. We've seen a bunch of uninspiring second team players wheeled out and in doing so we haven't found anything we didn't already know and we haven't given young players a chance either. That is the one situation in which you can take something from the game regardless of result.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think we need to loan out some of our fringe players now that they have little chances to play this season.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I think we can only win the FA Cup this season. Can't believe people don't care about this result. We're not winning the league or Champions League.

TheLord

Nobody really cares about the Carabao Cup to be honest. At least there’s no excuse now for not winning one of the three remaining “meaningful” trophies now.

peridigm

I'm pissed I signed up for ESPN+ at $6.99mo. At least I can cancel until next year.

Wait... what channel is the FA Cup on in the US?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's laughable result. Maybe you're confusing that with happiness?

Teja

I feel like there are multiple threads of thought here.

We need to win a trophy and any trophy is good gang: I don't think even they really believe going on a deep run in the league cup and potentially winning it is a big deal. Klopp asked his assistant to take some U-23s and compete in this cup, that's how little it matters. Doing a brutal two legged semi final right in the middle of the fixture period? No thanks.

We didn't / can't give youth a chance: Yes, but I don't think it would've mattered if we played Hannibal instead of Mata and Elanga instead of Martial today. And even if we won, it's another two games where they would've been given chances (R4, R5). Once you're in the QF, you have to take it seriously and play the first team. 1-2 additional 90s for Elanga would be nice, but it's not that big a deal.

We shouldn't have played the reserves gang: You seriously don't believe in VdB, Matic, Telles, Dalot, Henderson etc. deserve competitive game time? The only players you can argue about is minutes for Mata / Martial. I'm sure these posters will be the first to blame the club when we sell Martial and he does well in the French league. We know there's a good player in Martial, give him a fair shot and get rid if it doesn't work out. This was a pretty big opportunity for Martial and he didn't take it. Ole knows very well what he's doing here.

Standards are dropping gang: We rotated literally the entire first XI and asked a team that has barely any cohesion / match fitness to go out and play. And they outplayed West Ham. If you're a mentality monster / win at all costs types, then you don't get to complain about patterns of play or expected goals when we win dirty.

amolbhatia50k

Nobody really cares about the Carabao Cup to be honest. At least there’s no excuse now for not winning one of the three remaining “meaningful” trophies now.
We should care given we've absolutely nothing in four years. Of course it's not really a big accomplishment for a club like Manchester United given our history etc but under Ole's reign of not winning anything I would have thought that this lot needs to give itself the best chance possible in every completion whether it's the FA Cup or league Cup.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It’s fecking sad because:

- we loss at home to moyes team and got knocked out of competition in first round

- We have a very large squad, our fringe players would need more game time, but now it’s taken away from them

- although it’s a Micky cup no one cares, the fact that we haven’t won a single trophy in past 4 years, suggested that any trophies we could win would mean something to us

Good news is:

We can now focus more on league and CL, we should let some of our fringe players taking FA cup instead

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
The only competition that Utd had a realistic chance of winning. Ole needs a trophy and Utd were at home. A massively dissapointing result for Utd and for Ole's future.

amolbhatia50k

It’s fecking sad because:

- we loss at home to moyes team and got knocked out of competition in first round

- We have a very large squad, our fringe players would need more game time, but now it’s taken away from them

- although it’s a Micky cup no one cares, the fact that we haven’t won a single trophy in past 4 years, suggested that any trophies we could win would mean something to us

Good news is:

We can now focus more on league and CL, we should let our fringe players taking FA cup instead
In conclusion, it's sad.

At a big club like ours with the squad we have this focus on the league/CL is such a nothing consolation.

CG1010

If people are sometimes unhappy when the performance isn't good but the result is good, logically they should be happy about the performance (bar Martial) even though the result is not good?

Personally I am not happy but I did enjoy the match. We played well - build up play in the midfield was good, DVB, Dalot were good positives and so was Lindelof.

Levenstein

Best games to use our players who don’t get much game time. We should try and win every game to create winning mentality and make teams afraid us.

amolbhatia50k

If people are sometimes unhappy when the performance isn't good but the result is good, logically they should be happy about the performance (bar Martial) even though the result is not good?

Personally I am not happy but I did enjoy the match. We played well - build up play in the midfield was good, DVB, Dalot were good positives and so was Lindelof.
How were Mata, Lingard and Sancho?

CG1010

How were Mata, Lingard and Sancho?
Yeah they weren't very good either (Lingard was ok) but not as bad as Martial. What I meant was we managed to create a tonne of chances as a team and if we had a better striker we would have scored a few.

tenpoless

We have a good team. But there's no way we'd keep on winning. We lost against Young Boys so we won against Westham. We lost to Westham in Alcopops cup so we'll win the next PL game. Simples. We need to rotate them loses to win the Premier League. Great match result man management by man manager Ole.

Hughie77

He put the team out he wanted to, I picked 9 of those starting 11. Like most did I bet, and if you look at stats and watched the 90mins , they gave everything, it wasn't there day, 27 shots 6 on target i think. That's the difference. Its the cup it happens knock out games. Need a bit of luck didn't get it, they did, ball comes of Lindelof into Lanzini , goal. Maybe he could have had a stronger bench, but I don't think it's a competition the club are focused on thus season, maybe the wrong thing to do but let's see . I would like us to go full out in all competitions , but that won't happen. Move on to Sat 3pts needed . Oh for the one it was a Pen as well .

Micky Targaryen

Weird species of Utd fans who still think we should be throwing away chances to win something, instead of trying to win everything.
Yep. Came in here to say exactly this. I simply do not understand this mentality at all. Mickey mouse trophy or not, if we bow out of this competition early, does it somehow mean that we are more nailed to win the EPL trophy now?? I was upset at our loss last night because our second string team lost to a second string West Ham team led by fecking Moyes, someone who we sacked and the Caf has mocked for years.

Big clubs breeds big mentality. We should try to win on all fronts, regardless of which trophies. Standards have really fallen in this place.

InfiniteBoredom

We should care given we've absolutely nothing in four years. Of course it's not really a big accomplishment for a club like Manchester United given our history etc but under Ole's reign of not winning anything I would have thought that this lot needs to give itself the best chance possible in every completion whether it's the FA Cup or league Cup.
If we cared about it we wouldn’t have made 11 changes to the starting XI.

I’m far from Ole’s biggest fan here but I’m not bothered one bit about this. He will live or die by the PL/CL, and rightly so.