Why are the Glazers/Woody running the club so badly?

Saffron

Theresa May: I hold the title as the worst negotiator in Britain.

Woodward: Hold my Prawn Sandwich.
Theresa May: Running through fields of wheat is the naughtiest thing I’ve ever done.

Woodward: So you’re saying you can run? Do you want to be our right winger?

Pearl of Wisdom

Domestic English fans are still responsible for as much (or more) revenue than all the global fans combined. Look at United's annual report.

So what is this magical structure that is supposed to bring success? Besides an owner that pours unlimited funds (PSG/City) anything else is a best guess. I said this before but take a look a what Liverpool fans said about FSG before Klopp. Levy before Poch.

Let's be honest. Fans do not have a clue about what goes on at board level and all this talk about structure always lacks detail or concrete examples.
That seems like rather bizarre terminology to use when requiring a response. Its almost as though you have made up your mind that any structure is doomed to fail unless one outspends the gulf nations states. I mean, look at any team before success, its a story of bad management.

With out adding magic, spells, potions or any form of wizardry, I think a look to the past and present is needed before any major decisions about structure are made.
The Glazers, we can conclude thus have a very limited knowledge on American Football and 'Soccer' from a sporting perspective. They purchased our club by accruing enough shares to force a buy out. This was only possibly because the Magnier and co dumped £300,000,000 worth united of shares as they started buying up a share portfolio. This allowed them to take over the club,all on the back of the fallout from the race horse 'the rock of Gibraltar'!

The Glazers had SAF and David Gill managing the club from to to bottom and was in great hands.
Once SAF retired, for some unknown reason to date, Gill decided to call it a day and throw the club totally under the bus. The Glazers with very little sporting nous, then turned to the the guy who brokered the take over, Ed Woodward, who as an ex banker clearly thought, "hold on, me and my "uni'" mate were excellent at football manager back in our dormitory days, Im sure I could do a 'fergie' and buy the best players and the best tactical manager/coach and the club will continue in its success". Then 6 years and 5 managers later with Woodard and uni friend (still desperately trying to remember the cheat codes) still whittling all the big clubs decisions into binary format to submit to the Glazers for a binary answer. We are leaping backwards and on the cusp of losing our best players.During that time we have had a few very brief spells where the team has played like a team but mainly its not been like that. All our players have either stalled in their levels of ability or reduced their abilities on field. Now we are buying for the future, but using the same training methods and trainers that have not helped individual players nor the teams progression, in the hopes that we can buy championship players and turn them into players who can compete with world class players for the highest honours in football.

Without adding any magic, to me it looks to me like a managerial structural problem from the top to the bottom.
Perhaps surveying the market for the best technical director off football would be a must start. Then buying the best trainers and coaches to work with all our players so that whom ever we buy, when they leave they are better players, even if it didnt work out for the team on-field, they would increase their reesale value and would allow us greater purchasing power in the future. its not rocket science.
You think leaving an ex banker to fulfill the role of DoF is the best appointment for this club, then that your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I strngly disagree.

I only hope that if the Glazers have thrown in the towel nowadays, and Woodward is there only to keep the profits rolling in and micromanage the current 'manager', that we will all stand by Ole.
He could be our Roy Hodgeson, the man who takes us into relegation fights and ensures that the clubs owners re operating a non sustainable business model and are forced to sell.
Im hoping there is some global crowd funding too..If we have around 650M fans, if each fan bought a £5 share-vote, (only one vote per customer regardless of number of shares owned) that would be £3.25B..a £10 share-vote each would be £6B
We have the numbers and the money to buy the club from a fans perspective, what we dont have is the organisation and the voice.

Last edited:

Jezpeza

David Gill said when they took over that the Glazers would spend a net 50 million a year.

I ran his theory against our spends since 2005 using transfermarkt. 1294 million on transfers. 504 recieved. Net spend 790, divided by 14, 56 million a season, he wasnt far wrong.

Whats the point of these 750 million pound adidas sponsorships? Transfers? Roof repairs? Training facilities? Youth academies? Free pies for season ticket holders?

Nah, f**k the lot of us, dividends for the glazers.

Thy pull the wool over everyones eyes by letting us get linked to everyone under the sun. I expect the same as last summer, we wont actually sign jack s**t and end up wondering why. They’ll later leak that they didn’t trust Ole (why appoint him) and tout a rebuild under a new manager once he's sacked because the squads still s**t, to buy until the end of the season. If we were spending any money this summer we wouldnt have given Jones a new contract or bother bringing Mata back.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
David Gill said when they took over that the Glazers would spend a net 50 million a year.

I ran his theory against our spends since 2005 using transfermarkt. 1294 million on transfers. 504 recieved. Net spend 790, divided by 14, 56 million a season, he wasnt far wrong.

Whats the point of these 750 million pound adidas sponsorships? Transfers? Roof repairs? Training facilities? Youth academies? Free pies for season ticket holders?

Nah, f**k the lot of us, dividends for the glazers.

Thy pull the wool over everyones eyes by letting us get linked to everyone under the sun. I expect the same as last summer, we wont actually sign jack s**t and end up wondering why. They’ll later leak that they didn’t trust Ole (why appoint him) and tout a rebuild under a new manager once he's sacked because the squads still s**t, to buy until the end of the season. If we were spending any money this summer we wouldnt have given Jones a new contract or bother bringing Mata back.
Not sure where you are getting that figure from, we were promised £25m a season for transfers.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
@Sultan Fergie may have been telling porkies, but again, it wasn't the first time his hands were tied. So what was the difference? Maybe when it happened ten years earlier he wasn't asked about transfers as much by the press so he didn't have to cover anything. Or maybe he was covering and was also talking crap, but we weren't so aware of it because media was different.

He was told there was no money and could do two things about it: Accept it or leave. So he accepted it. Like he did previously, whether it was 1995 or 2005.
Hi Amir, hope you're well.

Apologies for the late response. I have been abroad where there was very little access to the internet. I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes with finances. However, we have spent lots of money unwisely in the transfer market. So I'd point my fingers at Woodward and ultimately the Glazers as owners for keeping him in the role when it was obvious his scattergun transfer policy wasn't working.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
The Glazers and Woodward aren't idiots or incompetent, the exact opposite I would imagine. They lack passion for the club and see success in the balance sheet and not the league tsble

Its likely a more profitable business model to target scraping into the champions league every year, than spending hundreds of millions more every year in transfer fees plus wages.

Unfortunately in the long run this results in a loss of following and therefore revenue as sponsors look elsewhere, at which point the Glazers will look to sell the club.
Most sensible post in this thread.