Why are we dropping the standards for Ole?

Eriku

You can call it poor form, but it's not a lie is it? There's nothing else to defend him on

It's true that Pep and Zidane had unbelievable players, cannot deny that at all, but other managers of Real Madrid and Barcelona have had unbelievable players in their squad too and have failed where these two have succeeded, so it's not a guarantee of success is it?

Ole has been a manager for over 10 years now I believe? And he's done what, exactly? Our name may carry some weight but I can guarantee you Solksjaer's does not in comparison, especially if we continue playing like this. We are going to become Liverpool at this rate, if we aren't already there, and I don't mean Klopp's new Liverpool
No, it’s not a guaranteed success, which is why I specified that I’m not looking to take away from them.

And I’ve been clear about not being sure if Ole’s even the right person to oversee us trimming the fat and getting the right base of players in for whoever takes over, let alone being our manager long term. All I’m saying is that the dog’s abuse he’s getting seems to be ignoring a lot of issues, and Ole to his credit seems to want to stick with waiting for the right purchases and blooding youth, rather than opting for quick fixes that only view us as a paycheck. Purchases like that are part of why we get absolutely rinsed in the market, and why we have a bloated squad that don’t give it their all.

That’s why I’d rather give him the rest of the season. You want to keep telling me that I’m lying to myself and it’s only because he’s a former player? Or perhaps you’ll want to say that it’s because I’m Norwegian?

I try really hard not to ascribe motivations to people, because I have no clue what’s going on in their head. I’ve tries to give my reasons, and I would hope you and others aren’t so dismissive as to try to tell me you know my own head better than me.

Strelok

a ton of people on here are not thinking seriously about just how messed up our situation is.
I was one of those tbh. I was so naive thinking we're pretty alright and just a right manager would send us flying again.

Now I've realised how bad the situation is after our last 4 managers. It was not like we did not spend, we did spend a lot ffs. Our name is still big, we spent a lot, we had one of the most recently successful manager, we tried all different philosophies blah blah so why the results, the squad are so bad?

The answer is simple imo, bad decision. We just have made a lot more bad decision than good decision, if there's any good decision at all. And who is responsible for this ? I remember someone posted the list of our board and fecking none of them has any experience or has anything to do with football.

If that doesn't change anytime soon, it's a bloody miracle that we'd land on another SAF and that SAF would send us flying again.

DeepSpace

Supports
ATL
Man, I've been hoping and praying for Ole to succeed but it's becoming apparent that either: a) he's out of his depth and playing at guesswork or, b) he needs a squad with a high percentage of world beaters that will simply overwhelm the opposition.
Either way, he needs to evolve, and fast. Or just hire the right people to modernize our approach while waiting for his desired squad additions

Reactions: SteveJ

Dr. StrangeHate

In terms of dropping standards the thing that strikes me is that when Liverpool used to say next year is our year they meant the title. When we say next year is our year we mean a CL place.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I don't know tbh. Zidane wasn't sacked when Real was like 5th, 6th this season if my memory serves me right.

However imo Ole will be sacked if he's the manager of Real or Barca. Their standards and expectation are much higher than us anyway.
It looked like Zidane was very close to being sacked not too long ago and if he hadn't of won 3 CLs on the bounce he might well of been but he had a lot more leeway than most because of it.

I don't understand why their standards and expectations are much higher than ours. In the last 20 years United have always been in and around the top 3 of the worlds most Influencial clubs but the way we are behaving now it's as if we are accepting mediocrity on all levels. That's the mindset that has to change and even though the clubs troubles run a lot deeper than Ole he still hasn't shown (IMO) that he's worth continuing with.

romufc

Eh that just means we're more realistic and less deluded. They'd say that when they were absolutely dog shit.
One could say that but you could also say they had hope and ambition.

Manut's ambition now is purely top 4. Realistically we would finish 7th.

Liverpool ambition was title and realistically they finished top 4.

romufc

I don't understand why their standards and expectations are much higher than ours.
Their board want to win, desperate to win. A manager gets sacked for a trophy less season. We give a manager new contract for finishing 2nd.

At United, the owners don't care about league titles or champions league.

Ed Woodward gets bonuses regardless of the performance. Why would you as a CEO take more stress and strive to be the best when you could get the same wage / bonus by spending less and looking good infront of the owners by showing commercial revenue.

Strelok

I don't understand why their standards and expectations are much higher than ours.
It seems you didn't read my post. It's pretty simple imo. The reality is we suck and fans gradually get used to it. Lower expectation means lower standards, that's all.

P/s: another thing came to my mind. It's also probably because of our history with Sir Busby and SAF, we tend to be more patient with our managers than Real or Barca. Theirs usually get the sack after a trophyless season but ours, a top 4 usually means you're safe.

It's not only for Ole but any manager who comes to us now tbh, except Klopp and Pep imo. Those two names will of course give us some huge expectation again but everyone else? Doubt it I think.

The reality is we're in a shit state, crap squad, worse structure with Ed on top, and greedy owners who only care about profits.

We were living in the delusional land under SAF, and got woke up to face the brutal reality with Moyes, LVG and Jose. It was a shock with Moyes, then the disappointment and expectation just gradually decreased with LVG and Jose. To a point I think it's safe to say we're now pretty used to disappointment and low expectation. Thus the lower standards.

What else we could do anyway. Refuse the reality and continue to live in a delusional dream that Utd is still a big powerhouse, great squad, well run club?
People talks a lot about Poch however even if we sack Ole now and replace him with Poch, most fans would be more than happy with a top 4 at the end of the season I think.

Last edited:

AneRu

There are two groups keeping this farce going on. First its the delusional fans who probably wanted Fergie sacked in the 80s but were proven wrong and now think is that all a poor manager needs is time and he will build a 27 year dynasty of Championship winning teams. Then there is Woodward who I suspect jumped at hiring Ole on a permanent basis to avoid bringing in structural changes that would have limited his chances of playing out his fantasy as a mini Perez signing Galacticos for United and now is keeping Ole to save face as he knows that if Ole fails then owners and fans will be looking at him blaming him for a fourth managerial failure under his watch. Ole has probably figured this out and now knows that all he needs to do is talk up the future and blame the current players then the media and delusional fans will think that all he needs is time and better players.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Their board want to win, desperate to win. A manager gets sacked for a trophy less season. We give a manager new contract for finishing 2nd.

At United, the owners don't care about league titles or champions league.

Ed Woodward gets bonuses regardless of the performance. Why would you as a CEO take more stress and strive to be the best when you could get the same wage / bonus by spending less and looking good infront of the owners by showing commercial revenue.
I think every single one of us on here can agree that our failures since SAF retired have one thing in common. Woodward but for me it's still no excuse that Ole and his team have lowered expectations so much a win against a mid level team is seen as some sort defining moment in the season instead of being part of the norm. If we lose, Ole is on the pitch shaking the players hands and in his interviews it's the same, rebuild, youth, traditions, values. I'm by no means saying throw his players under the bus but sometimes we all need a rocket up our arse to keep the motivation going instead of being pampered too all the time.

Pep knows how to defend his players but he also knows how to rip them a new one. I remember last year when they were winning comfortably and in the last minute Sterling started showboating in the corner. At the final whistle Pep stormed onto the pitch and hammered him for it in front of everyone. Sterling will never do it again whereas we have Ole high 5ing Lingard after one of the worst displays by a player in recent memory when he was taken off against Arsenal. Ole just doesn't have the man management skills needed to make it at the top level.

romufc

I think every single one of us on here can agree that our failures since SAF retired have one thing in common. Woodward but for me it's still no excuse that Ole and his team have lowered expectations so much a win against a mid level team is seen as some sort defining moment in the season instead of being part of the norm. If we lose, Ole is on the pitch shaking the players hands and in his interviews it's the same, rebuild, youth, traditions, values. I'm by no means saying throw his players under the bus but sometimes we all need a rocket up our arse to keep the motivation going instead of being pampered too all the time.

Pep knows how to defend his players but he also knows how to rip them a new one. I remember last year when they were winning comfortably and in the last minute Sterling started showboating in the corner. At the final whistle Pep stormed onto the pitch and hammered him for it in front of everyone. Sterling will never do it again whereas we have Ole high 5ing Lingard after one of the worst displays by a player in recent memory when he was taken off against Arsenal. Ole just doesn't have the man management skills needed to make it at the top level.
They both have different styles of managing men. This is why Pep tenures have lasted 3/4 years wherever he has been.

Does that mean just because he is not ripping them a new one in public he isnt in private?

Pep is notorious for doing such things in front of the cameras so the media can hype him up about it. That could have been done in the dressing room, he does not need to rip one on Sterling on the pitch.

I agree that sometimes Ole is naive where we have played some real crap he comes out saying we played well, it infuriates me when he does that.

Ole might not be the man for the job but the support and backing he is getting from Woodward is poor.

How do you expect us to do well with Matic and Fred in midfield and Lingard as the CAM. 18 other teams probably have a better midfield than that.

AneRu

They both have different styles of managing men. This is why Pep tenures have lasted 3/4 years wherever he has been.

Does that mean just because he is not ripping them a new one in public he isnt in private?

Pep is notorious for doing such things in front of the cameras so the media can hype him up about it. That could have been done in the dressing room, he does not need to rip one on Sterling on the pitch.

I agree that sometimes Ole is naive where we have played some real crap he comes out saying we played well, it infuriates me when he does that.

Ole might not be the man for the job but the support and backing he is getting from Woodward is poor.

How do you expect us to do well with Matic and Fred in midfield and Lingard as the CAM. 18 other teams probably have a better midfield than that.
Everyone club he's been to wanted him to stay on he was never sacked or lost the dressing room. Pep does what he does because he knows that there is no club in the world that would choose a player over him except for maybe Barcelona and Juve for Messi and Cristiano. Fergie also used to do that and could be pretty ruthless too because he had that authority that is only derived from being a serial winner.

romufc

Everyone club he's been to wanted him to stay on he was never sacked or lost the dressing room. Pep does what he does because he knows that there is no club in the world that would choose a player over him except for maybe Barcelona and Juve for Messi and Cristiano. Fergie also used to do that and could be pretty ruthless too because he had that authority that is only derived from being a serial winner.
And you can only demand that when you are a proven winner. Look at the teams Pep has got to manage, one of the best ever Barca teams, Bayern and Man City who spent £200m on full backs.

Give Ole the backing and then judge him.

Eddy_JukeZ

A lot of our fans still cling on to hope that we'll get another SAF 2.0 and if a manager is given time, he'll turn into SAF.

It's nonsensical.

Therefore, our fanbase as a whole deserves the mediocrity we're enduring at the moment.

Ole's been here 12 months. After 12 months, there is zero progress.

And you can only demand that when you are a proven winner. Look at the teams Pep has got to manage, one of the best ever Barca teams, Bayern and Man City who spent £200m on full backs.

What a daft sentiment.

Might as well give the job to Woodward and save money. And fecking back him man, then judge him!

romufc

What a daft sentiment.

Might as well give the job to Woodward and save money. And fecking back him man, then judge him!
Yes like when we gave the job to a Serial winner in Jose and worked out well, we won titles, finals, playing beautiful football, great team harmony.

Get out your own *** and realise the problems are more than the manager.

TRUERED89

I was one of those tbh. I was so naive thinking we're pretty alright and just a right manager would send us flying again.

Now I've realised how bad the situation is after our last 4 managers. It was not like we did not spend, we did spend a lot ffs. Our name is still big, we spent a lot, we had one of the most recently successful manager, we tried all different philosophies blah blah so why the results, the squad are so bad?

The answer is simple imo, bad decision. We just have made a lot more bad decision than good decision, if there's any good decision at all. And who is responsible for this ? I remember someone posted the list of our board and fecking none of them has any experience or has anything to do with football.

If that doesn't change anytime soon, it's a bloody miracle that we'd land on another SAF and that SAF would send us flying again.
We're never going to see anyone like SAF in football again, let alone Man United. So we cant count on that, recruitment and coaching has to be rectified so the next 7 years aren't like the previous 7!

AneRu

Everyone has to earn the right to spend those sums of money mate, Pep got his and took it at Barcelona and now every club knows what he can do when given what he wants. Can Ole say the same, this is why Mourinho was allowed to spend huge sums here because people looked at what he could do when backed, sadly for us we didn't recognize that he was done. Ole had his summer, made his decisions and one of them was to spend 80m on an average defender when we only had 3 senior CMs plus a washed up Matic.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

Sometimes Ole is his own worst enemy. When he made that statement about not signing another striker because he wanted to develope Greenwood it was a nail in his coffin. He basically took all the blame by saying the decisions were his alone. Woodward is one of the major factors we're in the position we're in but Woodward did give Ole £150m with the promise of more funds available if needed which was confirmed by Ole.
How Ole choose to spend that money was up to him and personally I don't think the money was very well spent. We had 4 CMs. Matic legs have gone, McT is basically still learning, Fred shouldn't have been depended on for last seasons form and all summer Pogba was looking for an out so he couldn't of been depended on either.

Up top he was happy enough to give Martial and Rashford a shot as CF when neither of them have shown they have it in them scoring goals on a consistent basis with a then 17 year old backup which was madness.

As I said before Ole had £150m plus maybe another £50m to spend in the summer so when you say how can Ole do well with Matic and Fred as CM perhaps not everything is Woodwards fault why this happened. Even for £150m I'd expect to see a marked improvement which just isn't happening for me.

romufc

Everyone has to earn the right to spend those sums of money mate, Pep got his and took it at Barcelona and now every club knows what he can do when given what he wants. Can Ole say the same, this is why Mourinho was allowed to spend huge sums here because people looked at what he could do when backed, sadly for us we didn't recognize that he was done. Ole had his summer, made his decisions and one of them was to spend 80m on an average defender when we only had 3 senior CMs plus a washed up Matic.
Pep took over a Barca team that had world class players that could potentially get into any team.

Other than Pogba, most our players now could not even get into the Leicester team.

We can sit here argue about Ole and if he is right for the job, I believe in the long run he isnt right for the job because he has major tactical flaws.

We can keep changing managers, but no manager will succeed until we get our transfer policy right.

Maguire was the best CB outside the top 4 last season and we signed him, don't know what is average about him but okay.

romufc

Sometimes Ole is his own worst enemy. When he made that statement about not signing another striker because he wanted to develope Greenwood it was a nail in his coffin. He basically took all the blame by saying the decisions were his alone. Woodward is one of the major factors we're in the position we're in but Woodward did give Ole £150m with the promise of more funds available if needed which was confirmed by Ole.
How Ole choose to spend that money was up to him and personally I don't think the money was very well spent. We had 4 CMs. Matic legs have gone, McT is basically still learning, Fred shouldn't have been depended on for last seasons form and all summer Pogba was looking for an out so he couldn't of been depended on either.

Up top he was happy enough to give Martial and Rashford a shot as CF when neither of them have shown they have it in them scoring goals on a consistent basis with a then 17 year old backup which was madness.

As I said before Ole had £150m plus maybe another £50m to spend in the summer so when you say how can Ole do well with Matic and Fred as CM perhaps not everything is Woodwards fault why this happened. Even for £150m I'd expect to see a marked improvement which just isn't happening for me.
I agree, but I feel Ole was naive in terms of he trusted the wrong players.

I feel he trusted Perreira, Lingard and Martial too much and they have clearly failed him.

He trusted Pogba too much and he is paying the price now.

Having 4 CM's was the biggest transfer mistake bu Ole because of those 4, Fred was unproven, Pogba wants out, Matic is not favoured so going into a season having McTominay as your only trusted midfielder is a huge error in judgement.

But this begs the question that this mistake should have been identified in October and scouts and the staff who deal with transfers should have been searching for a CM and got a deal done before 1st Jan.

This has not happened which demonstrates the problems we have, is it Ole, is it Ed Woodward?

Yes like when we gave the job to a Serial winner in Jose and worked out well, we won titles, finals, playing beautiful football, great team harmony.

Get out your own *** and realise the problems are more than the manager.
At this point Jose in his first United season Jose had won 52.3% of his Premier League games, Ole is on 38%. :eek:

I love that you guys just think Ole will just magically turn from a poor manager to a crap one, just with time.

The mere fact that we have problems above the manager means it's even more important for us to have a super manager at the helm. A crap manager + this board :nervous: is terrifying as a United fan. #agenda indeed.

romufc

At this point Jose had won 52.3% of his Premier League games at this point, Ole is on 38%.

I love that you guys just think Ole will just magically turn from a poor manager to a crap one, just with time.

The mere fact that we have problems above the manager means it's even more important for us to have a super manager at the helm. A crap manager + this board is terrifying as a United fan. #agenda indeed.
So Ole was not the manager because he was in temp charge?

I don't think Ole is right for the job, I said it before and I will say it again, I would sack Ole if we find the right man not for another interim manager. Do I trust the club to find the right man? No.

Does Ole have right intentions? Yes.

I have said it in various posts that Poch should take over because he has an intensity of play.

The reason I say give Ole backing is we signed a CB, RB and a RW but this team is very inexperienced.

I just want to end doubts about Ole by giving him 2 CM's this January and give him till the end of the season then you can say Ole you have got the backing and 18 months and there has been no improvement, then sack him.

AneRu

Pep took over a Barca team that had world class players that could potentially get into any team.

Other than Pogba, most our players now could not even get into the Leicester team.

We can sit here argue about Ole and if he is right for the job, I believe in the long run he isnt right for the job because he has major tactical flaws.

We can keep changing managers, but no manager will succeed until we get our transfer policy right.

Maguire was the best CB outside the top 4 last season and we signed him, don't know what is average about him but okay.
The players Pep had were world class admittedly but they were under-performing as a team and when he came in he culled the bad apples, didn't ask for multiple windows and won a treble with his team. Good thing you mentioned Leicester City, they finished 12th in 2017, 9th in 2018 and 9th in 2019 yet we are supposed to believe that they have better players than a team that's outperformed them in every respect over the last three seasons. Seems to me they have a better manager and its showing in their performances as he has created a system that gets the best out of them. This is a team from we took the supposed 'best defender out of the top 4' and they didn't do too much business in the summer; to me the difference is the manager, theirs is adding to the group whilst ours is resting because fans and Woodward think he will do better after ten transfer windows but then our CEO finds it hard enough to sign one player in the summer, as he recently admitted, so lets make it twenty.

passing-wind

The only reason fans are saying the club is in a bad state is solely because of the perspective we have under Solskjaer's capabilities, therefore it seems we have no hope, we are years behind the top, we are doomed to struggle. What your failing to grasp is that how we feel is being emotionally amplified due to current circumstances and not entirely predicated upon reality.

Leicester finished 9th last season 14 points behind us and with just a singular change of manager have eclipsed 90% of the league in being second to Liverpool's dominance. They didn't require huge investment and untold amount of time to stabilise a position of forward development. Rodgers focused on what he has available here and now and has made the most out of the resources. I could harp on about his philosophical approach but that's not the purpose of this message. Leicester are throwing any long term argument out the window with their current predicament and to an extent so are Chelsea as Lampard has shown more about his management than Solskjaer this season.

Solskjaer for me has already served his managerial purpose to the scale of this club. He was able to galvanise the players who were broken under Jose but that's where the buck stops. He's not a long term solution for our problem. We need a manager who can cultivate progression of attacking football, implement an identity / philosophy, coach individual players to enhance their performances, integrate the youth and make astute signings to cover areas of the squad.

There are managers who fit this mantra of ambition but that's why we need a DOF to identify these candidates to ensure that the "culture" Ole has corrected is continued.

I cannot see any squad full of the most flavour of the month surnames that will see us competing for the league under Ole as a manager. He's just doesn't have the calibre to perform at this level.

AneRu

I agree, but I feel Ole was naive in terms of he trusted the wrong players.

I feel he trusted Perreira, Lingard and Martial too much and they have clearly failed him.

He trusted Pogba too much and he is paying the price now.

Having 4 CM's was the biggest transfer mistake bu Ole because of those 4, Fred was unproven, Pogba wants out, Matic is not favoured so going into a season having McTominay as your only trusted midfielder is a huge error in judgement.

But this begs the question that this mistake should have been identified in October and scouts and the staff who deal with transfers should have been searching for a CM and got a deal done before 1st Jan.

This has not happened which demonstrates the problems we have, is it Ole, is it Ed Woodward?
Whose job was it to scout for suitable CMs in October? Surely its Ole who is the DOF cum Head Coach, that's his responsibility but an incompetent CEO and a delusional fan base have allowed him to find comfort in the fact that he can only be judged after multiple windows and a billion pounds net spend so why bother scouting or coaching when the jury is out for five years?

romufc

The players Pep had were world class admittedly but they were under-performing as a team and when he came in he culled the bad apples, didn't ask for multiple windows and won a treble with his team. Good thing you mentioned Leicester City, they finished 12th in 2017, 9th in 2018 and 9th in 2019 yet we are supposed to believe that they have better players than a team that's outperformed them in every respect over the last three seasons. Seems to me they have a better manager and its showing in their performances as he has created a system that gets the best out of them. This is a team from we took the supposed 'best defender out of the top 4' and they didn't do too much business in the summer; to me the difference is the manager, theirs is adding to the group whilst ours is resting because fans and Woodward think he will do better after ten transfer windows but then our CEO finds it hard enough to sign one player in the summer, as he recently admitted, so lets make it twenty.
A under-peforming team that we beat in the semi final of the UCL 1-0? A team that had messi, Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi, Henry? to name a few.

They didnt do much business but they bought Tielemans and Perez, one less player than we did.

I agree with you that the manager makes a massive difference because a year ago Leicester were absolutely shocking, negativity with Claude Puel and Rodgers has transformed the team in 8 months.

Let me ask you, who hires the manager at this club? Ole is not going to be a success here. But the board prefers to have a puppet that doesn't speak up against the board and goes on with the same story of difficult to do business in Jan but money is available.

In the summer will be the same issue, hard to do business with fees being asked, not the right fit.

It might be me but I am actually sick and tired of these transfer excuses when other teams seem to get value if they try hard enough.

romufc

Whose job was it to scout for suitable CMs in October? Surely its Ole who is the DOF cum Head Coach, that's his responsibility but an incompetent CEO and a delusional fan base have allowed him to find comfort in the fact that he can only be judged after multiple windows and a billion pounds net spend so why bother scouting or coaching when the jury is out for five years?
Come on, you don't actually think Ole is the person responsible for scouting players? He can barely coach the team, he thinks Lingard is fine and a great player, you really think he is capable of scouting players?

Other than that, we have a game every 3/4 days, he simply does not have the time to scout players. If that is the case, why do we have so many scouts working for us?

AneRu

A under-peforming team that we beat in the semi final of the UCL 1-0? A team that had messi, Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi, Henry? to name a few.

They didnt do much business but they bought Tielemans and Perez, one less player than we did.

I agree with you that the manager makes a massive difference because a year ago Leicester were absolutely shocking, negativity with Claude Puel and Rodgers has transformed the team in 8 months.

Let me ask you, who hires the manager at this club? Ole is not going to be a success here. But the board prefers to have a puppet that doesn't speak up against the board and goes on with the same story of difficult to do business in Jan but money is available.

In the summer will be the same issue, hard to do business with fees being asked, not the right fit.

It might be me but I am actually sick and tired of these transfer excuses when other teams seem to get value if they try hard enough.
They had Tielemans for half of the season they finished 9th so his signing doesn't make a difference to their overall strength so by just signing one player they were able to move from 9th to 2nd and we are supposed to believe that a team which finished 2nd a couple of years ago, a team that to this can still stop Liverpool and beat City needs five years to be built, how about Conte at Inter, Rose at Gladbach or Nagelsmann at Leipzig? All of them didn't need multiple windows and I bet they didn't get to spend as much as Ole did but they have their identies imprinted on their teams and those teams are performing. We are cuddling Ole too much and my fear is that our incompetent board will find out too late and after too much money has been spent on average talent.

Lets speak out against the board but lets back their puppet, sounds about right doesn't it? After Ole, ideally Woodward has to go but if he can't go we have to get in people that know what they are doing on the football side to make decisions. He is the constant is this shocking decline caused by a series of blunders at every turn.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Is it Ole, is it Ed Woodward?
To be honest I don't think either of them are up for the job. Given the choice if it was between giving Ole funds this window or getting in Poch at the end of January then I'm all for Poch especially if the rumours of us looking at Longstaff are true.

If Poch doesn't want to come or he will wait till summer then I don't have any problems sticking with Ole because getting another interim in now would be no way beneficial to the club but I think this idea of sticking with Ole because no one else could do any better has to be banned from the forum because it's no way logical thinking.

AneRu

Come on, you don't actually think Ole is the person responsible for scouting players? He can barely coach the team, he thinks Lingard is fine and a great player, you really think he is capable of scouting players?

Other than that, we have a game every 3/4 days, he simply does not have the time to scout players. If that is the case, why do we have so many scouts working for us?
He is but he doesn't do it himself, do you think scouts just watch players at random without him giving them guidelines? Its his responsibility to order scouts to look for a CM that can be bought in January and when they narrow the list down then he can go to Woodward and present the case, if he is not capable of doing that then he has to step down because thats what his job demands from him.

romufc

They had Tielemans for half of the season they finished 9th so his signing doesn't make a difference to their overall strength so by just signing one player they were able to move from 9th to 2nd and we are supposed to believe that a team which finished 2nd a couple of years ago, a team that to this can still stop Liverpool and beat City needs five years to be built, how about Conte at Inter, Rose at Gladbach or Nagelsmann at Leipzig? All of them didn't need multiple windows and I bet they didn't get to spend as much as Ole did but they have their identies imprinted on their teams and those teams are performing. We are cuddling Ole too much and my fear is that our incompetent board will find out too late and after too much money has been spent on average talent.

Lets speak out against the board but lets back their puppet, sounds about right doesn't it? After Ole, ideally Woodward has to go but if he can't go we have to get in people that know what they are doing on the football side to make decisions. He is the constant is this shocking decline caused by a series of blunders at every turn.
When have I ever said give Ole 5 years? I have said it in posts previously that Ole has had 12 months now and we are seing no improvements.

There is a false sense of security because we beat City and Spurs but playing Ultra defensive tactics. That is not United. We shouldn't be changing our style that much against better teams.

Liverpool and City make adjustments but still try play the same way.

Anyway, I am only saying back Ole because the problems lie further than Ole, I do not trust the board to hire a competent manager.

romufc

To be honest I don't think either of them are up for the job. Given the choice if it was between giving Ole funds this window or getting in Poch at the end of January then I'm all for Poch especially if the rumours of us looking at Longstaff are true.

If Poch doesn't want to come or he will wait till summer then I don't have any problems sticking with Ole because getting another interim in now would be no way beneficial to the club but I think this idea of sticking with Ole because no one else could do any better has to be banned from the forum because it's no way logical thinking.
Yep, we cannot continue to go 1 step forward and 2 steps back. But we can say it on this forum all we like, as long as there are 75,000 fans at OT on the weekend nothing will change.

AneRu

How many people thought this just 10 months ago when Leicester were in 12th and firing their manager? Honestly now @romufc

You see what a good manager can do?
Leicester, Inter Milan, Gladbach and Leipzig are all putting this, 'oh he needs multiple windows before he can be judged' to shame because both haven't needed to hide behind the long term project bollocks and bar for Conte at Inter I don't think anyone amongst those teams has spent as much as we spent on players in the summer, I stand to be corrected though.

romufc

He is but he doesn't do it himself, do you think scouts just watch players at random without him giving them guidelines? Its his responsibility to order scouts to look for a CM that can be bought in January and when they narrow the list down then he can go to Woodward and present the case, if he is not capable of doing that then he has to step down because thats what his job demands from him.
He wants Longstaff.. a player that can't get into the Newcastle team on a regular basis. That is what Ole is targeting.

Exactly my point, Ole has had enough time to assess this squad and still cannot realise we need CM's and creative players.

Excuses need to stop.

romufc

You see what a good manager can do?
Read my posts above, a good manager will be the biggest difference.

I will maintain my point of if Poch is available you sack Ole and get Poch.

Ole has never shown to be a good tactician and seems very stubborn in his team selections.

Against Arsenal, can you tell me another manutd manager who wouldnt have made a change at half time, Fergie or Jose would have made a sub at 30 mins.

AneRu

When have I ever said give Ole 5 years? I have said it in posts previously that Ole has had 12 months now and we are seing no improvements.

There is a false sense of security because we beat City and Spurs but playing Ultra defensive tactics. That is not United. We shouldn't be changing our style that much against better teams.

Liverpool and City make adjustments but still try play the same way.

Anyway, I am only saying back Ole because the problems lie further than Ole, I do not trust the board to hire a competent manager.
Ole is as much a problem as Woodward and now Woodward is hiding behind Ole and his new 'long term' project to deflect criticism and sabotage transfers so that the Glazers can loot more of the club's funds. Both are protecting each other, this is why you see Ole offering himself up for blame over the transfers but ironically people were using the summer business as an excuse to keep him around when he did the bare minimum and ignored key areas of the team.