Why are we dropping the standards for Ole?

Ballist1x

How many of these players would get into top 6 of other teams in our league? Just because we had a expensive squad doesn't mean we have a good one.
Quite a few. But that doesnt change the fact that we shouldn't be dropping so many points to bottom half sides of the league.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's maybe a master stroke by Woodward, having Ole here is like a drug to keep the fans quiet, how many will dare to call for Ole's head anything like as quickly as the did Moyes, LvG, or Jose? and even when they do most will shout them down.

This is their window of opportunity to cut down on spending, reign in the wage bill, push the youth mantra, lower expectations, all whilst keep the fans in check, and they're taking it.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Laughable if you think this is 'things going right'...

We're in relegation form and if Ole were to lose the next 3 games -

Foxes (H)
West Ham (A)
Arse (H)

He'll probably be sacked.
If you think that "doing things right" and "things going right" means the same thing, then I don't know what else to say to you. If you are going to quote me, then quote me right

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Yeah, Ed fecking Woodward knows more about what players to sign, what contracts to hand out and what managers to employ than Redcafe does collectively...

Oh wait, no he doesn't.

Redcafe wouldn't have hired Moyes
Redcafe wouldn't have given Moyes a 6 year contract
Redcafe would've shipped out 'deadwood' long before last Summer
Redcafe wouldn't have extended Mourinho' contract
Redcafe wouldn't have not backed Mourinho after finishing 2nd

I could go on...

Redcafe wouldn't be thinking of profits for the Glazers

Redcafe would be thinking about what is best for Man Utd
This is next level Dunning-Kruger if you honestly believe this.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Is anyone else having trouble telling satire from reality these days?

Top reds unite :lol::lol:

Since when is the United way aiming for total mediocrity and small minded Liverpudlian-like mentality?

Biggest club in the world and the 'RIGHT, United way' is like 5 wins in 20 and being happy with it?

:rolleyes:
I'm not happy with our results, but if you can't see that we are going in the right direction then that's your fault not mine. Let me guess, in your world we would just go out and buy more "DiMaria's" and "Sanchez's" rather than getting players in who actually want to be here and fight for the badge. We have played 4 games so far and "should" have won all of them. If we were outplayed in those matches, then I would be concerned. But we weren't and if we keep playing the way we have been, then the results will come...

JustAGuest

Redcafe would still have given Solskjaer the permanent job.
To then sack him at the end of the season, without knowing who to replace him with. Except for Pochettino, of course, who was never a realistic option. I doubt much positive would come out of that approach.

ash_86

I'm not happy with our results, but if you can't see that we are going in the right direction then that's your fault not mine. Let me guess, in your world we would just go out and buy more "DiMaria's" and "Sanchez's" rather than getting players in who actually want to be here and fight for the badge. We have played 4 games so far and "should" have won all of them. If we were outplayed in those matches, then I would be concerned. But we weren't and if we keep playing the way we have been, then the results will come...
So simple yet so difficult to comprehend for many.

Bo_7iDaR

This is their window of opportunity to cut down on spending, reign in the wage bill, push the youth mantra, lower expectations, all whilst keep the fans in check, and they're taking it.
Regardless of whether we will improve or regress under Ole, I don't doubt for one second that this is why the Glazers and Woodward will be sticking behind him. I just wish I hadn't read it put this bluntly. As if watching us right now isn't depressing enough.

Look-a-Hill

It's maybe a master stroke by Woodward, having Ole here is like a drug to keep the fans quiet, how many will dare to call for Ole's head anything like as quickly as the did Moyes, LvG, or Jose? and even when they do most will shout them down.

Ole's a poor choice then as all fans will do is point the finger at the next person in line, which is Ed (or knowing this place: Carrick...). With the other managers the focus was on them either: being an idiot; having a tedious philosophy; being a bellend. The sensible choice would have been to hire Poch so it could be deflected by his reputation as a choker who doesn't win anything.

snowkarl

"Should have won" is meaningless

It's not just 4 games - Solskjaer has been in charge for almost a full season. You can't simply choose to not consider last season because it doesn't benefit your argument.

If you don't think the same issues that plagued us last year remain this season you're being dishonest.

Take into consideration that our squad depth is non existent and expect results to get even worse as the season goes on and our 'Man United way' pressing gets 4-5 players injured and we're playing Garner, Greenwood, Gomes, Dalot and Jones away to Liverpool or something. What will the excuses be then?

"Players that want to be here" is a meaningless PR-term only meant to think the players will somehow be better than they actually are because of 'pashun' and 'belief' but in reality, as we've clearly seen, they're performing even worse than 'soul less mercenaries' like Di Maria and Lukaku. Two players who, by the way, would be two of our best players if they were still here.

It's also fascinating that people who say "players who want to be here ONLY!" also subscribe to the self deluded Pogba-dogma that thinks he should not be sold despite doing his best to get out ever since he asked Raiola to offer him to City last year - it is just so inconsistent.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

It's not just 4 games - Solskjaer has been in charge for almost a full season. You can't simply choose to not consider last season because it doesn't benefit your argument.

If you don't think the same issues that plagued us last year remain this season you're being dishonest.

Take into consideration that our squad depth is non existent and expect results to get even worse as the season goes on and our 'Man United way' pressing gets 4-5 players injured and we're playing Garner, Greenwood, Gomes, Dalot and Jones away to Liverpool or something. What will the excuses be then?

"Players that want to be here" is a meaningless PR-term only meant to think the players will somehow be better than they actually are because of 'pashun' and 'belief' but in reality, as we've clearly seen, they're performing even worse than 'soul less mercenaries' like Di Maria and Lukaku. Two players who, by the way, would be two of our best players if they were still here.

It's also fascinating that people who say "players who want to be here ONLY!" also subscribe to the self deluded Pogba-dogma that thinks he should not be sold despite doing his best to get out ever since he asked Raiola to offer him to City last year - it is just so inconsistent.
If you include last season from his first game he would be 3rd. Or are we just using a period which benefits your argument?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Pochettino has proven himself as a manager and reached the Champions League final last year. They can go down the form is temporary, class is permanent route with him.

Ole doesn’t have that proven pedigree. This might be his level
We also had the best new manager start in PL history, and best away record for Manchester United in club history. We have no clue what way the scale is going to tip one way or the other.

SteveW

Performances are improving. It's only a matter of time until the results follow. We've been very unlucky so far this season.

Amerifan

Clearly that out-of-work world class manager whatshisname should have been hired instead of Ole. We should have violated FFP over the summer and bought a dozen world-class mercenaries whether they want to be here or not because the dressing room doesn’t matter. We must have a happy dressing room. We should have gotten new owners, a new board, a new CEO, and a world-class DOF. And coaches, all world-class. Not to mention predicting which player’s form would drop before it happens so we don’t have to create a dozen threads calling them “shit” after every error. Oh, and a 100% conversion rate PK taker. That’s what should have happened. At a minimum.

Crashoutcassius

It's been 6 months and only 3 of games and huge amounts of fans are calling for his sacking, so not much if a theory

el3mel

I some times feel like some care about Ole staying and proving desperately he's doing well despite everything rather than caring about our crap results and the unchanged uninspiring football. Another manager instead of Ole delivering same results and football and 100% he would have been getting slaughtered by everyone here, regardless of the transfer window to be totally honest.

Woodward is crap and should be sacked from his job but at the same Ole had shown nothing to prove he's the right manager for the rebuild after getting rid of Woodward. All evidence to the contrary.

snowkarl

Clearly that out-of-work world class manager whatshisname should have been hired instead of Ole. We should have violated FFP over the summer and bought a dozen world-class mercenaries whether they want to be here or not because the dressing room doesn’t matter. We must have a happy dressing room. We should have gotten new owners, a new board, a new CEO, and a world-class DOF. And coaches, all world-class. Not to mention predicting which player’s form would drop before it happens so we don’t have to create a dozen threads calling them “shit” after every error. Oh, and a 100% conversion rate PK taker. That’s what should have happened. At a minimum.
No but it was suicidal to sell our starting striker and midfielder and not buy any replacements after the disaster finish we had to the season past.

It's inexcusable and no amount of sarcasm can change the fact that the transfer window was very poor.

And to the poster above; I never even said I wanted Ole out or that it would change anything, the damage has already been done when we went into the season aiming to win the EL and make top 4 and OGS comes out and says we'll be "lucky" to finish top 6 and with the worst, thinnest squad since what - the 70's?

"Players who want to be here" is not an argument you can even make as long as Pogboom is still at the club. Everything is the same except we have fewer, and worse, players.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
To then sack him at the end of the season, without knowing who to replace him with. Except for Pochettino, of course, who was never a realistic option. I doubt much positive would come out of that approach.
Then hire Roy Keane as manager.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I find it hilarious that some of the same people in this thread slagging off Ole are also those who defended Mourinho until the very end. Can't make this stuff up.

Steve Bruce

I'm not saying OGS is the answer, I hope he is.... But to call for his head after 4 games is small time imo.

He needs more than 1 summer transfer to right the wrongs in our squad. Our club is a shambles and its going to take patience while the overhaul is happening.

This isn't lowering standards, this is accepting where we are right now and knowing that the United project to get to the top is a 3+ years to come into fruition.

The results aren't great but I think OGS is doing more good than bad and it will start to reflect in our results as the season goes by.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm not sure why any United fans could say, Ole has been only managing us 5 games.

His main failure is neglecting our attacking force, while spending 90% of transfer budget on defence. It's like he didn't learn much from Sir Alex success. He relies on a bunch of kids and players on attack who had been average during their time here, and expecting miracle happen.

Last edited:

VJ1762

Well, because we are the new AC Milan. So, we better reset our expectations.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I find it hilarious that some of the same people in this thread slagging off Ole are also those who defended Mourinho until the very end. Can't make this stuff up.
Or the ole defender were the ones who shits on Mourinho for doing much better.

If it was jose with 3 wins in 15 they definitely wont call it progress.

But keep on having double standard because one is the caf favorite villain and the other is the smiling united legend

He'sRaldo

But keep on having double standard because one is the caf favorite villain and the other is the smiling united legend
You're ignoring a lot of context in that comparison.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

So in your world taking over someone else's team midway through the season counts towards what's going on now? Give your head a shake. The guy has only put his stamp on the team starting from this season. This is where he got to have a full preseason with the lads to get them to play the way he wants them to play. To bring in (and get rid of) the players he wants. To find players who want to play for United. If we weren't going for players who want to be here then we would have just offered Dybala more money and he would be here. And guess what? We would be in the same mess as we were with DiMaria and Sanchez. As for your Pogba comments, I'd love to know who even just one poster is on here who says they only want players who want to be here and then say they want Pogba as well. I will be waiting...

haram

There's people who criticised Jose a lot and they are backing Ole. Remove Jose from everything and Ole is still doing badly at the moment. This type of post is just deflection and makes you look insecure.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Mourinho got three years, one was good, the other two ranged from mediocre to abysmal.

I'm not sure what Ole is doing is going to lead to progress, personally I don't think he's a good coach, but at least he seems to have a bit more backing than Mourinho did, which he lost after some poor decisions in the transfer market and poor integrations of his recruits, something Ole has had to inherit. I don't think anyone in their right minds has real expectations of the team this season, but Ole made some good purchases and they are integrating decently well into the team. It was a standard of Mourinho at United that, no matter who it was, they would look worse than their usual self as soon as they were at United under him. That's not necessarily what I'm seeing under Ole with James, AWB, or Maguire.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

Except Ole didn't:
1. Waste hundreds of millions of pounds on players that the fans already want sold
2. Miss his own targets (2nd place finish was his greatest achievement yet he though the squad was equipped to win the title)
3. Create scapegoats out of his players and bosses
4. Essentially call United a small club after being dumped out of Champions league by mighty Sevilla
5. Play sleep-inducing football consistently
6. Have United nowhere near top 4 at end of his tenure

The most important point being 1,2,5,6. If Ole fails at these he will sacked and rightfully so. Oddly enough Woodward, Pogba, and Marital won't be as effective scapegoats for Ole as they were for Mourinho.

I shit on Mourinho b/c he's a crap, past-it manager who never takes responsibility for his own failings. Simple as.

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
There's people who criticised Jose a lot and they are backing Ole. Remove Jose from everything and Ole is still doing badly at the moment. This type of post is just deflection and make you look insecure.
Well it's probably because he a) seems to have a coherent strategy (regardless if you think it will work or not) b) almost managed to salvage the mess Mourinho left United in by nearly getting top four last season c) he isn't throwing players and staff under the bus to compensate for his own shortcomings. Sure there is goodwill on his side, but there substantive reasons why Ole is still backed. I'm sure you could even think of more if you tried

haram

Well it's probably because he a) seems to have a coherent strategy (regardless if you think it will work or not) b) almost managed to salvage the mess Mourinho left United in by nearly getting top four last season c) he isn't throwing players and staff under the bus to compensate for his own shortcomings. Sure there is goodwill on his side, but there substantive reasons why Ole is still backed. I'm sure you could even think of more if you tried
Or because he simply isn't Mourinho.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There's people who criticised Jose a lot and they are backing Ole. Remove Jose from everything and Ole is still doing badly at the moment. This type of post is just deflection and makes you look insecure.
Did they criticize Jose and Van Gaal in their first season when they hit the rough patch?

roonster09

Scout
Your post is correct If the question was "why Jose fans were going on and on about not backing Jose but with the same squad expected lot more from Ole"

haram

Did they criticize Jose and Van Gaal in their first season when they hit the rough patch?
Are you asking me if the people backing Ole, also backed Jose and LVG in their first season? I'm not sure how I can answer that question? I don't think we had a run like this in Jose's first season either? Not sure for LVG either, it was a while ago.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
That's a reasonable conclusion if one completely ignores the reasons I outlined in my post, like you just did.

I think your response says a lot more about your biases than mine.

roonster09

Scout
Are you asking me if the people backing Ole, also backed Jose and LVG in their first season? I'm not sure how I can answer that question? I don't think we had a run like this in Jose's first season either? Not sure for LVG either, it was a while ago.
Check how many games Van Gaal won in first 9 or 10 PL games.

They also didn't break so many positive records like Ole did and didn't go on a winning run like Ole did.

haram

That's a reasonable conclusion if one completely ignores the reasons I outlined in my post, like you just did.

I think your response says a lot more about your biases than mine.
You say he has a coherent strategy. It really isn't that coherent in my opinion. He has signed 3 British players but that's not a strategy. The strategy on the pitch is not coherent. He said he will trust more youth. At the moment the options in the squad are thin and the striking situation just makes him look naive. Yes, I do think he is naive.

You say he almost salvaged the season, but it's very easy to say that the football was not sustainable. The players started to get injured and the tail end of the season was very bad. It has carried on this season in terms of results. People said the pre season will help but it has done very little and Martial and Shaw already have injuries.

You say he isn't throwing players under the bus to compensate for his own shortcomings but last season after a poor performance he said there would be players that would not be here and that he would be a success. Implying that it was certain players and not his own shortcomings. Which is interesting because he is the one that was relegated and sacked with Cardiff and was managing in the Norweigan league.

He is a rookie at this level. His in game substitutions and team selections are very questionable. Sorry, but that's how I see it. He has to show something quickly because the next few games are difficult.