Why are we so sentimental about Marcus Rashford?

fastwalker

Despite being a shadow of his former self and according to reports, one of the voices of toxicity in the United dressing room, Marcus Rashford will not be sold this season. In fact the greater likelihood is that he will be offered a new contract on enhanced terms (possibly £300k+ per week) making him almost impossible to sell if his form does not improve.

Yes Rashford is United by and man. One of a succession of players to emerge from the clubs youth academy and one who when he burst onto the scene looked destined for greatness. Yet, the fact is that whilst Rashford does indeed have the potential for greatness, potential is not realisation. To a large extent in recent seasons and particularly since his back injury Rashford has flattered to deceive. Not only that but his extra-curricular activities and rise to global prominence, lauded by royalty and former President Barack Obama, has given him an other worldly status. Again, if reports are to be believed the adulation and words in his ear may be going to his head. If I recall correctly, Sir Alex Ferguson let David Beckham go for less than this.

Honestly, I do not see Marcus Rashford fulfilling his potential at United. I genuinely think that ship has sailed. I am not saying that he has reached his peak. Far from it, he has plenty of headroom, but just not at United. He desperately needs a new challenge and United desperately need fresh blood.

However, for reasons of pure sentimentally we (the club and fans) seem unwilling to let him go. Seemingly our whole approach is based on hope rather than expectation.

What are your thoughts?

Crashoutcassius

Most people hate him here despite no evidence it is anything but a lack of confidence. Title should be why are we so wierd about Marcus rashford

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One more Rashford thread :lol:

Fans don't want Rashford to go? , this is the post from someone who never read threads but just creates thread on everything that comes to his mind.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Most people hate him here despite no evidence it is anything but a lack of confidence. Title should be why are we so wierd about Marcus rashford
:houllier:

Didn't know you need confidence to run on the pitch.

If anything he has loads of it because he's so confident he's not going to get booted out despite being fecking shit for 18 months now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s obvious why. He built a huge amount of capital with his community work.

Most fans aren’t fickle enough to write a person who achieved what he did off the field off because his form has dropped to rock bottom.

That said, the patience is definitely thin even with his most ardent supporters and the stories coming out of him being a bit of a spoilt brat and not having the work ethic and attitude are certainly spoiling that image.

I think PR aside, the club might also be treading carefully with him because Ole clearly over worked him when he was carrying injuries and that set his development back. He also needs to shoulder blame there for insisting on going to the Euros when he should have had an early operation and focused on his preseason.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Brilliant another toxic Rashford thread, because we don't have enough of those :rolleyes:

Lentwood

Despite being a shadow of his former self and according to reports, one of the voices of toxicity in the United dressing room, Marcus Rashford will not be sold this season. In fact the greater likelihood is that he will be offered a new contract on enhanced terms (possibly £300k+ per week) making him almost impossible to sell if his form does not improve.

Yes Rashford is United by and man. One of a succession of players to emerge from the clubs youth academy and one who when he burst onto the scene looked destined for greatness. Yet, the fact is that whilst Rashford does indeed have the potential for greatness, potential is not realisation. To a large extent in recent seasons and particularly since his back injury Rashford has flattered to deceive. Not only that but his extra-curricular activities and rise to global prominence, lauded by royalty and former President Barack Obama, has given him an other worldly status. Again, if reports are to be believed the adulation and words in his ear may be going to his head. If I recall correctly, Sir Alex Ferguson let David Beckham go for less than this.

Honestly, I do not see Marcus Rashford fulfilling his potential at United. I genuinely think that ship has sailed. I am not saying that he has reached his peak. Far from it, he has plenty of headroom, but just not at United. He desperately needs a new challenge and United desperately need fresh blood.

However, for reasons of pure sentimentally we (the club and fans) seem unwilling to let him go. Seemingly our whole approach is based on hope rather than expectation.

What are your thoughts?
The fans were desperately looking for positives to cling to in the post-SAF era and his early purple-patch in-front of goal provided them and the club with that something. The club promoted his abilities way beyond his actual level, the English media predictably lapped up the 'wonderkid' hype and half of our fans bought it.

I don't want to keep hammering the lad but based purely on technical ability, he could easily, easily have been one of those players who in 50% of realities is currently playing for a team like Brighton or Fulham. Look at Adnan Janujaz...now without a club....was probably a better player at 19 than Rashford.

The trouble is, there are a large percentage of football fans who get too involved in the "banter" and the social media nonsense. So they spent three seasons telling their Liverpool and City supporting mates he was the real deal and then couldn't back down when the obvious truth stared them in the face.

Tavern in the town

Every other post on this forum or tweet on Twitter is calling for his head, not sure what you’re talking about.

binary bot
As bad as he's been, the club just isn't in a great place this summer to be moving him on due to the managerial change, high player turnover and question marks over others.

Ideally this becomes a make or break season, the contract is put on ice and he's renewed or sold at the end of next season.

I think everyone is dreading jumping into another contract though.

tomaldinho1

Agreed. He got overhyped because he’s English but he’s a good player and he was made to play/decided to play when needing surgery for large parts of previous seasons as well.

Lingard leaving will be great for him too.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think you should not worry about what other fans think, none of us can influence Ten Hag's decision making with regards to Rashford. Be more secure in your own opinion.

Tap

English, club dna, soul of the club etc…the usual drivel.

This is why academy products are a double edged sword.If they are not good enough, the excuses for them are endless and it is more difficult to let them go.

Bet Martial and Nani don’t get half the number of excuses offered up for rashford despite being arguably more talented.

Nick7

English, club dna, soul of the club etc…the usual drivel.

This is why academy products are a double edged sword.If they are not good enough, the excuses for them are endless and it is more difficult to let them go.

Bet Martial and Nani don’t get half the number of excuses offered up for rashford despite being arguably more talented.
:lol: you couldn't be further from the truth regarding Martial.

Cloud7

1) United DNA

2) Off field charity work

Personally I don’t care about either of those things when it comes to an underperforming player at the club but I can see why others would.

Overall I think most fans would have a lot more patience with Rashford were it not for the nauseating PR stuff all the time. That’s what has driven my patience away anyway.

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
If it's a question of pure sentimental feeling then the answer is obvious - he's a local united fan living the dream of playing for the club, and many fans find him a relatable and likable human being.

Last edited:

didz

He's had an awful year. Ran into the ground by Ole, ostracised by Rangnick, all the while burdened the PR monster he and his people created. The behaviour doesn't look good, the performances don't look good and the future doesn't look good.

Even so, it doesn't make sense to write him off right now. We know he can win matches for us, we know can score 20+ goals a season and we know he can step up in big games.

If we can get him back to the level he was at 2 years ago, he's an incredibly valuable player. There's nothing sentimental about realising that it would be better to get Rashford back into form than it would be to blow £100m on an attacker who could maybe be as good as Rashford once was.

The question is; can Rashford and the new coaching staff work together to achieve that?

justsomebloke

The fans were desperately looking for positives to cling to in the post-SAF era and his early purple-patch in-front of goal provided them and the club with that something. The club promoted his abilities way beyond his actual level, the English media predictably lapped up the 'wonderkid' hype and half of our fans bought it.

I don't want to keep hammering the lad but based purely on technical ability, he could easily, easily have been one of those players who in 50% of realities is currently playing for a team like Brighton or Fulham. Look at Adnan Janujaz...now without a club....was probably a better player at 19 than Rashford.

The trouble is, there are a large percentage of football fans who get too involved in the "banter" and the social media nonsense. So they spent three seasons telling their Liverpool and City supporting mates he was the real deal and then couldn't back down when the obvious truth stared them in the face.
Yeah, that must be why there's these constant rumours that he's wanted by Villa, Everton and Wolves. No wait, that was actually PSG and Bayern Munchen...

I don't think I'm alone in finding this a take so absurd and ridiculous that there's really no point discussing it. Like back-to-back 20-goal seasons are "a purple patch" propped up by hyping and banter, while one shit season represents his actual level.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If last season Rashford had of played as badly as he did but put a shift in I'd have no problems giving him a season under ETH to see whether or not he could recuperate some semblance of form but the way he went about his season was despicable and if I never see him in a United shirt again I'd have absolutely no problem with it. Loves the club. United DNA my arse.

Unfortunately his life outside of football is a major reason why in all probability he'll be given a new contract which would be typical lf us as a club.

Nogbadthebad

2 years ago he was turning out week in week out for us, putting in match-winning performances, when he had what was essentially a broken back.

Three years ago he had the best under 23 stats for an attacking player in Europe.

Which always makes me shake my head when I see people saying 'hes crap'.

There was an exceptional player in there, ole did to him exactly what the scouse did to michael owen, and as poor as he has been, he deserves a chance to get back to his best.

NLunited

He is a brilliant attacker and has the potential to be a leader. Certainly not overhyped. Hopefully it will start to come out.

Utuhu

Another excuse making thread for Dr Rashford. Let us accept the bitter fact that he is an average player who had a decent season when Ole was dishing out his "sit back and hit on the counter" tactics. Teams readapted their gameplan while playing us which is either they sit deep too defending thereby compressing space or they press the hell out of us. Ole's tactical deficiency got found out and technically bereft players like Rashford struggled.

Also his arrogant body language is not helping issues too. He has being overrated to the point that he feels that he is untouchable. A very serious club like City or Bayern will not hesitate to move such a player out. Not moving out players the right time is one of our weak points as a club.

lex talionis

A bit bizarre that we have a new thread for the same subject we’ve discussed at length for a long time now and I doubt there’s anything new to say that hasn’t been said before, but Marcus Rashford is a curious case. Brilliant in his youth, but given his form over the last season — post surgery, that is — he wouldn’t even make the bench of one of the relegated sides.

phelans shorts

Does a lack of confidence impact one's ability to put in a shift?
Well it depends if that lack of confidence is connected to other things. Has he had more serious mental issues as a result of the intense scrutiny? Possibly. Anyone with a history depression of just about any level can tell you how exhausting something as simple as getting out of bed can be at times.

I’m not saying this is the case, but it’s certainly not beyond the realms of possibility, at the end of the day only one person knows for certain.

Lentwood

Yeah, that must be why there's these constant rumours that he's wanted by Villa, Everton and Wolves. No wait, that was actually PSG and Bayern Munchen...

I don't think I'm alone in finding this a take so absurd and ridiculous that there's really no point discussing it. Like back-to-back 20-goal seasons are "a purple patch" propped up by hyping and banter, while one shit season represents his actual level.
First of all, that's exactly what they are..."rumours".

Secondly, I could go back and forth with you all day about those "20 goal seasons", but as you say, we're so far apart on it, it's not worth it. All I would say is, it is my opinion, supported by the stats, that Rashford's actual 'level' is about 10-12 PL goals a season, minus penalties. If you take out the two seasons he took our penalties, he has hit this average almost like clockwork. I would also say that Callum Wilson, Ivan Toney or Teemu Pukki could score 12 goals a season playing as a forward for United.

Thirdly, it's not 'one shit season'. I maintain his technical ability has always been very, very low but he has gotten away with it on goodwill and the odd purple patch of goals. His actual level of performance has been largely horrid, he's a highlight reel, stat-padder of a player.

Anyway, you're right this season isn't his 'true' level. He's better than he has shown this season and his confidence is rock-bottom. But he was never a 'wonderkid', he was an average player who found form at exactly the right time early on in his career and lived off that for 3/4 seasons

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Does a lack of confidence impact one's ability to put in a shift?
:houllier:

Didn't know you need confidence to run on the pitch.

If anything he has loads of it because he's so confident he's not going to get booted out despite being fecking shit for 18 months now.
Mood/happiness/confidence all definitely play a part in a players work rate as well. It's not like he didn't do these things before. Last season was horrible for all, and the year before he struggled a bit but still had decent work rate and put up good numbers with some excellent performances mixed in with shit ones.

Rashford is a unique one where there is such a big gap with what he showed last season and what he can actually show. His attitude on the pitch was problematic, but there's never been anything to suggest he's toxic in the dressing room? Sometimes what you see on the pitch is all it is - a player struggling for confidence so much that everything goes to shit. His sub appearance against Atletico was the most telling for me, he looked terrified when he got the ball to make a mistake. You can't play football like that. He needs a manager who will create an environment for him that he can enjoy his football in again. That's not special treatment, that applies to everyone, but he has to improve himself first and foremost of course. He was an excellent player for a couple of years, and then all the injuries and overplaying took their toll, led to a decline in performance/confidence/work rate etc etc.

Im expecting a completely changed Rashford next season. And we are patient with him because of what he can be, what he showed in the not too distant past. We're also patient because, well, we can't replace everyone. So you pick out who you can improve and get back to a good level where they can be good players who are otherwise very difficult to replace (Rashford, Shaw).

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
He is a brilliant attacker and has the potential to be a leader. Certainly not overhyped. Hopefully it will start to come out.
He has no potential to be a leader at all.

I've never seen him shout at or encourage other players ever. Sometimes it looks like he wouldn't even know the current score if you asked him during the game

sunama

Baghdad Bob
His confidence has been lacking for around 2 years.
That's not a temporary issue anymore.

Our unwillingness to let go of poorly performing footballers and making excuses for them has culminated in our most disastrous league season in the modern era.

dove

Missing white text mate, some people will actually think you are serious.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I remember back when we had Moyes as manager. MCFC fans were pleading that we should not fire him.
This post has the same sentiment.

We are talking about Marcus Rashford, buddy.
There are no leadership qualities on display and we have seen him deliver dreadful performances for 2 years.
It astounds me that a fan of the club would write this.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

Don't forget Barca and Liverpool and whoever else is interested because his phone has never stopped ringing. Where do you think these rumours are actually coming from?

SER19

Im among his biggest critics but feel he's actually salvageable if he leaves his current managers. He swapped to some PR guru a while back and has nosedive, hes surrounded by opportunists using him to make money and I imagine are full sycophants inflating his ego and making him utterly fragile to criticism

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
My impression is that among the most active/vocal posters in the United forum a majority is much more likely to hold it against a player if he's local/an academy product than being sentimental about him.

And on the whole, I bet more people want Rashford sold than being offered a new contract.

So, as others have said - I really don't know what you're talking about.

Banana Republic

The 20 goals a season doesn’t relate to his league goals in the EPL.
Rashford has only scored more than 10 PL goals in 2 out of his 7 seasons in the first team ( actually 6 seasons + his breakthrough season).

1919/20 ( the split COVID season) when both he and Martial netted 17 each…
…and 2020/21 when despite being shit for two thirds of the season, he scored his 2nd highest season tally of 11 goals.

Rashford’s average goals per season in the league, is 8.4.
That includes penalties, for those that differentiate.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He isn't any leader. Never seen anything remotely like good leadership qualities in him.