Why are we so sentimental about Marcus Rashford?

Luke1995

He made his debut with us at a time where the football we were playing was really awful, without any hint of creativity, and scored these two goals on his debut, then again vs Arsenal... and from there, he scored on his England debut, went to the Euros, and suddenly we perhaps put a way too high of a hope on him that he was going to be our next great player.

After two relatively decent seasons in 2016/17 and 17-18, his form started having bad patches, but we always wanted to think that somehow what we saw upon the start, was going to come back. I do think his fantastic form at a time when we were playing really bad football and him getting called up for England so soon raised expectations on him massively.

redmanx

Marcus Rashford is a throw back to the "Class of 92" and The Busby Babes; a reminder of great, exciting home grown players like Bobby Charlton, George Best, Sammy McIlroy, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham and Paul Scholes; Rashford is a link, admittedly a sentimental one, to by gone glories and great United teams and when he first appeared thats how he was seen, as a link to better times. Sadly Rashford has lost his way but it seems he still loves the Club so I hope that Ten Hag can rejuvenate him and help him become the player we all hoped he would be. I'd offer him a contract for two more years on the same money hes on now and see how it goes.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I just watched the full first leg of us v Inter in '99 on mutv. The work Giggs and Beckham put in on both wings was light-years away from what we've seen from Rashford.
Giggs had a bad game but nobody could fault his attitude or desire.
Beckham had two assists in the first half but kept working up and down the wing for the whole game.

That's how you play football

Walters_19_MuFc

Maybe for the same reason some of you lot jizz yourself over Juan Mata? *hugs*

When we sum up what both have done for the club, Rashford has done what Mata has done in two years less, regards trophies. However, one is berated by fans and the other one is adored.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We give him time because his ceiling is above most players.

Hes had a bad 12/18 months but if he can find himself and his form he's a top level player.
No, his ceiling is nowhere near above most players. In fact, he's slammed his head against the ceiling 2-3 years ago. Most of the fan base is mostly in denial about it and so is Marcus. His footballing ability can be comical when he consistently tries things outside of his skill box.

He has not improved one bit over the past 4 seasons.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
No, his ceiling is nowhere near above most players. In fact, he's slammed his head against the ceiling 2-3 years ago. Most of the fan base is mostly in denial about it and so is Marcus. His footballing ability can be comical when he consistently tries things outside of his skill box.

He'll be here for another decade stinking up the place. We deserve it for being delusional.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Im not sentimental at all for him. Hate him just as much as the rest of our primadonna players , if not even more for his awful attitude.

VivaRonaldo85

He was one of our best performers the season before last. There’s a very good goal scoring attacking forward there if we let him be coached, make sure he’s fit, manage his off pitch distractions (as commendable as they are), and make him enjoy his football again. Over to you Erik.

AFC NimbleThumb

Why is that funny? Think about the emotions people have attached to United, what it means to people when United play on the weekend. Think about the money people spend to support United, whether it's going to games, buying merchandise, and this guy comes on against one of our biggest rivals, our city rival, if anyone should be up for it, it's him, and he just strolls around the pitch, losses possession and couldn't give a toss. If you think this guy cares about you, or any fan, or the club then you are deluded. And on top of that, he's shite.
I’ve watched Pashun FC captain McTominay saunter back as another midfielder gets in behind him all season. I’ve watched our club captain say in an interview prior to the Liverpool match say how ‘it’s just another game’ as they were attempting a quadruple. I’ve seen Luke Shaw’s questionable fitness standards for 8 years. I’ve watched Bruno sulk his way around the pitch exerting more energy on complaining to referees than defending on multiple occasions this season. I could go on but I digress. . .

Delusion is watching a team perform terribly for a season then picking & choosing who you want to label as not trying because they didn’t run around hard enough for you. Rashford was a disgrace at points this year but so were his colleagues. I can’t tell you how much Rashford cares for the club or not, I do know he grew up a United fan so I’d hazard a guess he cares more than a childhood Chelsea fan & Sheffield United fan [see above] but who knows. You do acknowledge that for a vast amount of last season he played with a shoulder injury that required surgery, meaning he literally played through injury, but yes let’s base his whole United being on a season where most of the squad looked crap in long instances.

Funny the money & time spent by fans doesn’t seem to apply to multiple games this season where Rashford didn’t play & his peers were terrible. Did you watch the Brighton match? The trouble with faux outrage like yours is unless you want the majority of the squad sold it’s all nonsense. I’d get on board if it were genuine & not selective. Saying he should be sold based on one game alone is hyperbolic nonsense, his place is rightly under threat because of his poor form over a long period. It’s difficult to take comments like ‘losses possession & couldn’t give a toss’ seriously when our midfield have been doing just that for seasons.

This isn’t some apology for Rashford, he’s been terrible for too long & has to take ownership of the poor things he has done on the pitch but don’t Top Red this discussion, we’re all fans here. Your criticism can easily be laid at the majority of the squad at points this year.

Womp

idiot
Have you read his thread? He's being attacked for everything from getting married, to writing books, to his haircuts etc. :lol:

He hasn't played in a while and his 'performance' thread is still one of the most active on here

I think the sentiment for him has died with many.

He won't be sold this summer purely for the fact that it wasn't too long ago that he looked very good and we are already moving on too many players/have a limited budget to fill those positions as it is

So he will get at the very least a season under a coach known for his ability to improve players to see if he can find any semblance of form, whether people agree or not

izec

I want him gone, his head is not in it. He is so lacklustre everything regarding football, he looks like he would retire if it wouldn't hurt his brand and off the pitch endeavours. Adding to that, he is just toxic with his leaks.

He will stay here anyway, but i expect more of the same from him. Shit on the pitch, on top with the excuses and leaks.

clarkydaz

Maybe for the same reason some of you lot jizz yourself over Juan Mata? *hugs*

When we sum up what both have done for the club, Rashford has done what Mata has done in two years less, regards trophies. However, one is berated by fans and the other one is adored.
Weird comparison seeing as Mata hasnt been a starter for years, and misused. All while being a top professional as well

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He doesn't have potential. He wouldn't have even got a game if we had a competent team since 2013. Welbeck was/is better.

Bobade

He definitely has potential. We've seen it before. He has flaws in his game, yes. If we are trusting Ten Hag to be a coaching beast we should trust that he can get a tune out of Rashford.

It's a gamble, because this summer we could possibly still cash in. If he has another awful season, much less so.

Walters_19_MuFc

Weird comparison seeing as Mata hasnt been a starter for years, and misused. All while being a top professional as well
When he was a starter, he didn't exactly set the team a light, and the fact that he hasn't been a starter for ''years'' says it all really.

Tyrion

Most people hate him here despite no evidence it is anything but a lack of confidence. Title should be why are we so wierd about Marcus rashford
Exactly. I'm not sure what these "reports" are about Rashford. I mostly ignore paper gossip.

I like him because he was very good for us, he's an academy player and he's done good charity work. But I agree, he shouldn't have his contract extended. The hate for him here is weird though.

AFC NimbleThumb

He doesn't have potential. He wouldn't have even got a game if we had a competent team since 2013. Welbeck was/is better.
From the guy with the second most posts in the Maguire thread, blaming every other player for his feck ups. Prime example of picking & choosing who to support and who not to.

He's been poor but the scapegoating of one player has gone way over the top now.
From said thread. You ok hun?

justsomebloke

Marcus is not United quality and never has been. He's got an amazing PR team and Kelly Hogarth deserve every penny as she's made made everyone believe that because he's a super decent human that makes him a super decent player as well.
What, do you actually believe that rubbish?

redflash

I guess this is the beauty of football, its so subjective. I respect your opinion I just have a different one. I think if he can capture his form again he could develop into a brilliant player. Think this break will do him well.

Flexdegea

Because he's one of us that broke thru the ranks.

He had a horrendous season their but he has built up enough credit to get another go at it next season. It all comes down to if Ten Hag rates him.

He been at the club years, been playing senior since Van Gaal was here. Everyone talking like he been crap most of it. Mad talk.

I know he paid very well by the club, but sometimes bit of loyalty with the fans wouldn't go a miss, i know no one owes him anything in real life, but if foot was on the other shoe and he was playing well angling for a move, then the cries would be the other way about him being a snake etc and not being loyal to the club or fans. It's a transaction both ways

stw2022

His attitude is the issue. I think he has far more limitations technically than many are willing to admit but they can be worked around. For me he’s used to being treated as the golden boy of English football for two years that now when attention has turned back to what he does on the field he’s reacted poorly to it because the universal praise and gushing has stopped.

You see it on the pitch. His performances haven’t just been poor. It’s as if he’s trying to make a point. You can be poor technically and outrun someone knocking 40 and track back and put in a shift. Rashford not doing so consistently for a long time now has put him beyond the point of non return for me. The sentimentality stopped when he started to play like he didn’t think we were grateful enough to have him

Withnail

His attitude is the issue. I think he has far more limitations technically than many are willing to admit but they can be worked around. For me he’s used to being treated as the golden boy of English football for two years that now when attention has turned back to what he does on the field he’s reacted poorly to it because the universal praise and gushing has stopped.

You see it on the pitch. His performances haven’t just been poor. It’s as if he’s trying to make a point. You can be poor technically and outrun someone knocking 40 and track back and put in a shift. Rashford not doing so consistently for a long time now has put him beyond the point of non return for me. The sentimentality stopped when he started to play like he didn’t think we were grateful enough to have him
I didn't know Rashford's psychologist was on the caf. Unless you actually have some inside info, this is pure fantasy.

stw2022

I didn't know Rashford's psychologist was on the caf. Unless you actually have some inside info, this is pure fantasy.
I know usually this place is just people factually observing results dispassionately and not indulging in anything not proven such as opinion

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
From the guy with the second most posts in the Maguire thread, blaming every other player for his feck ups. Prime example of picking & choosing who to support and who not to.

From said thread. You ok hun?
Odd thing to bring up Maguire from someone who has 82 posts (3 less) in said thread, all hammering him. A prime example of picking and choosing who to support.

I don't think Rashford is that good, simple as that. I haven't scapegoated him for anything.

Withnail

I know usually this place is just people factually observing results dispassionately and not indulging in anything not proven such as opinion
There's opinion and there's wild speculation. We have no idea what is going on with Rashford in his private life or otherwise or what has caused his drop in form. It could be mental, it could be physical, it could be that he's demotivated because the dressing room is 'disaster' and the interim manager isn't all that good at his job or it could be your golden boy theory. Going off the information in your post you've got very little to base your opinion on.

edgecutter

He has 1 year with a possible extension of another one. A decision needs to be made, because this guy is going to want a new contract on insane terms. Our board needs to grow a pair and let rashford know that he isn't getting anything until we see some massive improvement.

I just don't see a great player in him. He may turn out to be a decent option, but you don't pay a player who is decent 200k a week.

Red_Aaron

I think he's got attributes that make him a very dangerous attacking option

I think at his best he's been brilliant for us

I think at his worse he's been a near complete liability

I think he was particularly affected by the Ole sacking and the changes in the squad

I think he has enough in the bank to deserve a shot under ETH - so long as ETH wants to give him it of course

I think he'll be greatly improved next season

Oranges038

Is a counter attacking player with a limited football brain. Alright running into space, but takes the wrong pass, the wrong decision, the wrong run all too often.

Would need to see a serious improvement in his all round game to even consider keeping him. Also, he'll want a mental contract and anything over 150k a week based on his previous 2 seasons at least, would be over 100k a week too much.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally feel that his work rate will go higher the moment the whole team does it to a cohesion of quantitity and quality.

Right now player A does it for the first game, then it’s player B for the second. Rashord does nothing for both.

Let’s see how he plays when the whole 11 are defensive in cohesion - then we can see if he is the odd one out and needs to be sold.