Why are we so sentimental about Marcus Rashford?

DON’T PANIC ™

Keep him, yes. See if he can recover his form, confidence and motivation.
Offer him an improved contract, no. If he carries on like he did last season, we need to get rid of him next summer. Having him on a massive wage would make that impossible.

To be honest, this principle should be applied to almost every player still with a Contract at the Club.

redmanx

A player who still “loves the club” will not down tools, focus more on his PR machine than his football and not be strongly suspected of being one of the sources of constant dressing room leaks.

This is yet one example why “local lads” are a double edged sword. The excuses and acceptance of mediocrity for them are endless.

Most of the posts here defending rashford can equally apply to the foreigner players who have been as subpar as rashford.
Im not making excuses for Rashford or saying that he should be treated differently to "foreigner players" Rashford had performed consistently well until the last couple of seasons and he's young enough to learn from his mistakes and to come good again, but not at any price; if he fails to improve this coming season he should be sold on. I think Rashford is easily lead and influenced by others, both in the club and outside and, as far as football goes he should only be listening to the manager.

quirkey

I don't hope for that at all, I just want him to leave. I won't forgive his attitude this season, no fan should, he's taken the piss out of us.
If he bangs in 15-20 league goals next season I’d say you will forgive it quickly enough.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I don't hope for that at all, I just want him to leave. I won't forgive his attitude this season, no fan should, he's taken the piss out of us.
My sentiments exactly. If he left I'd feel the same when Pogba, Martial and Lingard go out the door. Not even a footnote for me.

Mr PG

We always overrated Marcus as he came through at a time of low talent for United

Tyrion

Because he has the best/worst? PR team in the business who has the media eating out of their hand. Quid pro quo.
He has the best PR team but seems hated by many United fans? Doesn't make much sense.

Do you have any evidence that he has some amazing PR team that's better than our other players?

the_cliff

If we ever want to be an elite team again we need to up our standards. Never would Rashford get as many chances at Madrid than he has had here.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He has the best PR team but seems hated by many United fans? Doesn't make much sense.

Do you have any evidence that he has some amazing PR team that's better than our other players?
Are you on a wind up? He's had 2 seasons where his form has been questionable at best. The first could be explained away by being overplayed and injury issues but last season was a disgraceful cameo from him yet all we kept hearing was how hard he was working and how the worlds best teams are interested in him and other than a few pundits on sky he's been let off scot free. It seems if you have a "special" relationship with the press they spin things round in his favour and that's what his PR team have been focusing on.

On a side note. In todays papers Lingard has gotten exactly the same treatment about how hard he's working and how all of Italys top teams are interested in him. Seems like if a player leaks a few stories he doesn't have to be worried ever again by the press. PR at its finest.

stw2022

He had to overcome his “natural shyness” to ask Ole why he was being played on the right

Said to be upset when a football manager politely suggested concentrating on football might be a good idea

He spends 12 hours a day training

He asked Ronaldo what his muscle mass was at his age

His phone never stops ringing, Liverpool made overtures

The whole squad is baffled rivals in his position start ahead of him and that his Beanz mate isn’t played more

He’ll consider staying if he’s given an improvement on his contact and guarantees on playing time.

…anyone who still doubts who these stories come from I have some magic beans to sell you. And all of this whilst playing like he literally doesn’t give a shit. I find it incredible there’s any patience with this guy from people who pretend they’re aghast with the fall in standards and professionalism at the club with selfish players out for themselves and their own interests and PR. Who epitomises that more than he does?

Lee565

The general feeling is that if rashford was playing under klopp or pep we would see a far better player and i see no reason as to why ten hag can't have that same impact on him

Hughie77

I'm not I'd sell him for the right price. He reminds me a lot of how D Wellbeck was at UTD, he's now picking up injuries same as Danny was you get inconsistency out of a player then.
Rashford was given his chance under LVG and took it. Now I'd give him this coming season under ETH. See if his directness comes back into his game, that's when he's at his best running at Defenders getting behind them .

I'd give him another shot. If a offer comes in that's decent I'd also sell

Varane around town

I don't know if I'm sentimental about Rashford. I just feel that there could be a very very good player in there somewhere.

I think we need to give Rashford one more season. If we don't see massive improvement then it's time to say goodbye. Send him off to Villa or Everton which may very well end up being his level.

Rockets Redglare

The general feeling is that if rashford was playing under klopp or pep we would see a far better player and i see no reason as to why ten hag can't have that same impact on him
General feeling from who? He’s a headless chicken with no end product and is incredibly lazy.

Pep and Klopp would never start him with his attitude and lack of effort for the team.

Bobski

Sorry my initial response was a bit dismissive. how does that make Welbeck a better player?
To be fair to Welbz, there are some areas of interplay that he was superior to Rashford at. People tend to forget that Danny was a starter for England, and doing well before he had 3 serious injuries in as many years at Arsenal. 16/42 compared to 12/46 for Rashford.

Happy to see Welbeck have a little bit of renaissance with Brighton. He was never going to be a great scorer, lacks both the positional instinct and the finishing ability but he has other strengths.

Withnail

You can play a style of football that works against a higher level of team.
As far as I'm concerned, Welbeck was never good enough. Early on a squad player maybe but he was horrific in front of goal. We'll see if Rashford can adapt to EtH's style but I'd be optimistic he can.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
It's his attitude that bothers me, I can't get over that moment where he stopped his run to throw up his hands as a great cross came in. If the club get a good offer and could line up a replacement I would grab it.

Foxbatt

It's his attitude that's the main issue. Under Ole who gave him everything he wanted. Then under Ralf. Do you think he is going to make a 100% effort all the time under any manager?

Banana Republic

If he bangs in 15-20 league goals next season I’d say you will forgive it quickly enough.
That would be some turn around, because he's only ever been in that ball park in one of his seven seasons in the first team.
That was in 2019/20, when both he and Martial each netted 17 league goals.
Rashford's average over 7 seasons, has been 8.4 league goals per season.
His 2nd highest year was 2020/21, with 11 league goals.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
It's his attitude that's the main issue. Under Ole who gave him everything he wanted. Then under Ralf. Do you think he is going to make a 100% effort all the time under any manager?
Yes, once someone is used to having a bad attitude it's very difficult to change in the long term. Sure ETH might be able to get a tune out of him next season. But as soon as the going gets tough and/or he gets a huge new contract it's only a matter of time before his head goes down again.

Sir Erik ten Hag

That would be some turn around, because he's only ever been in that ball park in one of his seven seasons in the first team.
That was in 2019/20, when both he and Martial each netted 17 league goals.
Rashford's average over 7 seasons, has been 8.4 league goals per season.
His 2nd highest year was 2020/21, with 11 league goals.
There have been even bigger turn-around in football. Actually one big turnaround has just happened this season if you visit this thread again:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/manchester-united-offered-chance-to-sign-vinicius-junior.464250/

The boy who was labelled as "Rashford without the goals" has become Real Madrid's Champions League hero. So why are we writing off the real Rashford, when he hasn't even kicked a ball under our new manager?

If Erik ten Hag got the best out of Dusan Tadic and Haller (Premier League rejects), why can't he do the same with Marcus Rashford? De Ligt was one of the key players of ETH's system in 2019, and he stated that Rashford was a nightmare to play against. Modern football ALWAYS has needs for players with pace and trickery.

Remember how Nani was branded by Redcafe as a mediocre, frustrating player who didn't live up to his potential? Even he harassed Real's defense line coached by Mourinho and forced Ramos' own goal (All going well before THAT red card). That should tell us enough of how important Rashford's type of player is.

Unless we manage to sell Rashford this summer with a BIG price, I think it's better for our club to see how Rashford fares next year under ETH first.

Reactions: roonster09

Yakuza_devils

My only hope is that Rashford doesn't has good football brain so he needs a very detailed and specified coach like during LVG tenure with ETH now to perform well. Hope ETH could transform him.

I can't bear to see losing Rashford, Martial and Greenwood at the same time. They were our hope and future.