Why are we so sentimental about Marcus Rashford?

youmeletsfly

I'm not sentimental about him. I don't care if he plays for United or Stockport.
He is and will always be a "talent".

mikeyt

He's never been that good and like so many young English talents, has been massively overrated throughout his career. He got a bumper payday and like a lot of United players has been crap ever since. When on form he's worthy of a place in the squad but I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if he was sold. He won't be though and I hope Ten Hag can get him back to a level where he can compete on merit for a place in the team.

gorky_utd

He decided not to run this season. Decided to put zero effort in the games while on the pitch. Don't know why he should not be kicked out this summer for his unprofessional behaviour. Even if he gets back some of his form next season it will most likely be because of a new contract.

lysglimt

Scout
Its not sentimentality. It's the fact that he is 24 years old and has already shown that he is a huge talent. Most players arent finished at 24, and I would just hate to see Rashford go to another club and look like the Rashford of 18 months ago

stw2022

Most players aren’t finished by 24 but most 24 year olds who are progressing aren’t in a position where they haven’t played well in around two years.

24 is young but it really isn’t THAT young to still be a complete unrefined prospect that I think they’re honest even his defenders still cling to the hope of him being. At the very least the shape of the football player he’ll be should be there. He shouldn’t look like someone in his first season just getting to grips with game time at senior level. But that’s exactly what he looks like and has for at least as long as he looked promising

AFC NimbleThumb

Odd thing to bring up Maguire from someone who has 82 posts (3 less) in said thread, all hammering him. A prime example of picking and choosing who to support.

I don't think Rashford is that good, simple as that. I haven't scapegoated him for anything.
The difference is I’m not saying Rashford is some world beater & his struggles are the fault of [list the many players/reasons you’ve used for] the player you like.

One is a boyhood United fan that has been part of sporadic successes during his time here, the other an £80mil albatross that has played against his teammates just as many times as Rashford has this season. You’ve picked a strange hill. I’m more on about consistency than anything, you’ve no reason to defend some players but you have.

Tango80

I think he's been scapegoated a bit by people essentially putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5.

He's clearly unhappy and low on confidence. That lack of confidence can be interpreted into being disinterested, not trying etc. But when you're depressed, it's hard to stay motivated to do anything.

He should absolutely stay next season. Although it's make or break for him. But that's the case for a lot of the squad.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The difference is I’m not saying Rashford is some world beater & his struggles are the fault of [list the many players/reasons you’ve used for] the player you like.

One is a boyhood United fan that has been part of sporadic successes during his time here, the other an £80mil albatross that has played against his teammates just as many times as Rashford has this season. You’ve picked a strange hill. I’m more on about consistency than anything, you’ve no reason to defend some players but you have.
You're right, I think Maguire is a 'world beater' because I don't think all of our defensive problems are down to him (as can be seen when he doesn't play and we still can't defend). None of which has anything to do with whether I think Rashford is good enough for us or not.

haru krentz

Keeping him for next season is one thing but giving him new contract is sending the wrong signal to other players. I dont think even pro-Rashford people can justified the new contract. Let's wait and see.

Tap

Yeah, that must be why there's these constant rumours that he's wanted by Villa, Everton and Wolves. No wait, that was actually PSG and Bayern Munchen...
Those rumours were probably engineered by his PR team. U are right though. He will probably do ok at Everton and Wolves.

Tap

Marcus Rashford is a throw back to the "Class of 92" and The Busby Babes; a reminder of great, exciting home grown players like Bobby Charlton, George Best, Sammy McIlroy, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham and Paul Scholes; Rashford is a link, admittedly a sentimental one, to by gone glories and great United teams and when he first appeared thats how he was seen, as a link to better times. Sadly Rashford has lost his way but it seems he still loves the Club so I hope that Ten Hag can rejuvenate him and help him become the player we all hoped he would be. I'd offer him a contract for two more years on the same money hes on now and see how it goes.
A player who still “loves the club” will not down tools, focus more on his PR machine than his football and not be strongly suspected of being one of the sources of constant dressing room leaks.

This is yet one example why “local lads” are a double edged sword. The excuses and acceptance of mediocrity for them are endless.

Most of the posts here defending rashford can equally apply to the foreigner players who have been as subpar as rashford.

Kag

I find it strange that some folk appear to be oblivious to the reality that football fans quite like it when players who play for their football team come from the same place as them. I mean, it isn’t as if human beings are inherently conditioned to be tribal or anything…

What a stupid fecking thread this is. I say this as somebody who is sick to the back teeth of Rashford and his form. But come on, of course there is sentimentality towards Rashford. There bloody well should be; he’s a kid from down the road who went on to make it!

Someone

Something
We should by all means be sentimental about him. He's a United boy who was showing so much promise, and off the field he's been an inspiration. It's hard to tell where it went wrong, but it'll always feel worse than having someone like Martail fail.

AFC NimbleThumb

You're right, I think Maguire is a 'world beater' because I don't think all of our defensive problems are down to him (as can be seen when he doesn't play and we still can't defend). None of which has anything to do with whether I think Rashford is good enough for us or not.
The relevance is you’re willing to defend the indefensible with one squad member but not giving another squad member the same blind faith despite said squad member being younger & having literally done more for the club. In this thread I’ve called Rashford a disgrace & terrible so I’m certainly not defending his performances, but given you don’t acknowledge other players blatant failings you’re hardly one to talk about players falling short of previous standards.

Consistency is all I ask for, we all like players over another but don’t give it, couldn’t get into the squad of 2013 in here when you’re the first to defend the most underwhelming signing of a generation in another thread with anything other than his actual performances.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Considering the high IQ Sancho has had and still looked clueless gives me hope about Rashford’s performances.

Plus Sancho has a bloody 150k over Rashford’a wage so I’m not pointing out at him or Sancho individually in a season where no one performed.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Who's 'we' in this question because the views on him here at the moment range from 'wouldn't mind if he was sold' to 'would personally like to grind him into a delicious meaty paste'.

clarkydaz

I think he's been scapegoated a bit by people essentially putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5.

He's clearly unhappy and low on confidence. That lack of confidence can be interpreted into being disinterested, not trying etc. But when you're depressed, it's hard to stay motivated to do anything.

He should absolutely stay next season. Although it's make or break for him. But that's the case for a lot of the squad.
This is the 2nd time ive seen this posted since yesterday. He's depressed now?

r0663664

Worships Man City
I still believe there is a good player inside him. Let's give ETH and Rashford 1 year, if Rashford still suck then it is time to move on.

Leftback99

The relevance is you’re willing to defend the indefensible with one squad member but not giving another squad member the same blind faith despite said squad member being younger & having literally done more for the club. In this thread I’ve called Rashford a disgrace & terrible so I’m certainly not defending his performances, but given you don’t acknowledge other players blatant failings you’re hardly one to talk about players falling short of previous standards.

Consistency is all I ask for, we all like players over another but don’t give it, couldn’t get into the squad of 2013 in here when you’re the first to defend the most underwhelming signing of a generation in another thread with anything other than his actual performances.
It's just having an opinion, I don't need policing by you. You hate Maguire, we get it. Just because I don't join the pile on and provide an alternate view that our centre backs might not be the biggest problem in the team that somehow means I think he's amazing?

I probably went overboard with 'no potential'. If Rashford can get back to his best he can be useful but I just don't see it coming.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He gets a bit of license because nearly the whole squad under performed this season, under a disaster of an Ole spell, and an utterly pointless Rangnick spell.

Under a new manager he has absolutely no excuse though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's just having an opinion, I don't need policing by you. You hate Maguire, we get it. Just because I don't join the pile on and provide an alternate view that our centre backs might not be the biggest problem in the team that somehow means I think he's amazing?

I probably went overboard with 'no potential'. If Rashford can get back to his best he can be useful but I just don't see it coming.
Maguire has had a shocker of a season, that's unarguable.
However, seeing as those every single team seemed to race through our centre mid and leave the defence exposed, he again, like Rashford has a fresh slate with a new manager who may have some semblance of tactics, plus has the ability to buy players to fix that.

The jury is massively out though. It's not all everyone else's fault when a lot of the times he just passes straight to an opponent, lets someone cruise past him, or ends up shoving someone like Shaw over.

Leftback99

Maguire has had a shocker of a season, that's unarguable.
However, seeing as those every single team seemed to race through our centre mid and leave the defence exposed, he again, like Rashford has a fresh slate with a new manager who may have some semblance of tactics, plus has the ability to buy players to fix that.

The jury is massively out though. It's not all everyone else's fault when a lot of the times he just passes straight to an opponent, lets someone cruise past him, or ends up shoving someone like Shaw over.
Hopefully. The main difference for me is that Varane and Lindelof looked just as bad, often worse than Maguire, indicating a system issue. Whereas Elanga came in a did a far better job than Rashford despite it.

CloneMC16

If anything, I think a bigger majority of fans have lost faith in him. I hate what I've seen from him over this season. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was supposedly injured last season. After watching him return, and still seeing little effort from him, I'm done. If he was playing poorly, but giving his all for the team, I'd be all for giving him more time. We've seen quality from him in the past. Watching him walk around the pitch, and allowing his man to do whatever he wants on the field is infuriating. His lack of effort is inexcusable.

edcunited1878

Direct clarity, as in speaking to Murtough and EtH? He's one of a many who would like time with them, especially EtH...but there's a time and place for everything.

Marcus is contracted to United for another year, with an option year until 2024, so there's nothing to chat about. His agents can speak to other clubs and gage interest of they so choose.

He's not going to move this summer unless a massive bid comes in, which seems unlikely. But it is a massive summer for him as his place in the England squad is questionable and he has to come into the EtH era fully committed to ensure match time, whether it is as a starter or bench player. He has to embrace his role and play for his team.

We demand players to put in the requisite effort and attitude in the hopes their performances help the team win. Marcus is not exempt from this.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Because he has the best/worst? PR team in the business who has the media eating out of their hand. Quid pro quo.
A bit off topic, but this point brings up an interesting question. Is Rashford's PR team good because of how hard they work to make him look better, or do other players have PR teams that are more competent and don't make it obvious to everyone when they're scheming in the media?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hopefully. The main difference for me is that Varane and Lindelof looked just as bad, often worse than Maguire, indicating a system issue. Whereas Elanga came in a did a far better job than Rashford despite it.
People seem to overlook that we were stuck with the back up full backs for long chunks of the season, Dalot and Telles.
Some seemed to think Dalot offered loads more to WB, but for me, he was at best marginally better going forwards and worse defensively.

SunnyGlasgow

His ego has gotten the better of him.
Give him next season to salvage his United career, then sell year after if no joy

Leftback99

People seem to overlook that we were stuck with the back up full backs for long chunks of the season, Dalot and Telles.
Some seemed to think Dalot offered loads more to WB, but for me, he was at best marginally better going forwards and worse defensively.
They are a huge problem in both attack and defence.

justsomebloke

Those rumours were probably engineered by his PR team. U are right though. He will probably do ok at Everton and Wolves.
Of course they were. Only possible explanation. Other than, you know, you being wrong and stuff, and we obviously don't want to go there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They are a huge problem in both attack and defence.
A top form Shaw is fine for both, but the other 3 full backs give up problems. No wonder we're rumoured to be buying this Timber guy.
I know nothing about him, but just hope he has some attributes of a modern right back!