Why aren't we more angry about players' wages?

Classical Mechanic

Ferdinand talked about this few weeks ago, F1 drives, Golfers all are paid very good money and no even talks about that.

Not sure why anyone should be angry about player's wages as ticket prices won't be reduced anyways and all the profits will just go to owners.
Floyd Mayweather boasts about how much money he earns so much that he changed his nickname to 'Money' a lot of people think that is 'swag' or something too.

Nickthepip

Problem with what Rio argues is that F1 drivers lay their lives on the line and golfers are paid on the level of their performances. There are a lot of average footballers being paid ridiculous wages.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There are many ways to follow sports and even football on the cheap. Noone is forced to throw money in football.

Football is very meritocratic and wages are simply correlated to how popular it is. Top footballers are paid very handsomely because millions of fans pay significant amounts for football, not the other way around.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I always remember in 2000 there was a massive outcry in the media when Roy Keane got a new deal on 52k a week which made him back then the highest paid footballer in British footballer.

At the time he was captain of a team who'd just won a historic treble.

What annoys me about football is the underachieving and motivation less squad players, not contributing to the team and just happy to bench warm most weeks earning more than the 50k + Roy Keane got.

Every underachieving team has 5-6 of them. Theo Walcott would be a good example in recent times.

Yes the obscene wages the main players have is an issue but at least they're the star players. Sums up the way football has gone that Dominic Solanke was allegedly on 50k a week at Chelsea and I assume is on a similar wage at Liverpool.

He has done nothing in senior football ffs.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The money is being made, I'd rather it goes to attracting top players than lining owners' pockets

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Almost everyone thinks it's obscene and bizarre, but few seem angry about it.
Is it obscene? Football clubs make hundreds of millions on the back of their players. Why shouldn't players get a vast amount of that money?

Why would anyone be angry about it either? No one here pays those wages. It doesn't have any effect on the lives of anyone except board members, agents, players and managers.

ATXRedDevil

Because the market seems their worth. Football generates the money it does based on consumer demand. The money will go somewhere. Better it go to the players than in the pockets of owners as far as I’m concerned.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I think players wages are an easy emotive target. The money that clubs, their owners and the media make piggybacking off the talent and labour of the players seem a more legitimate target.

The real target should be the price that the customer is being forced to pay for their football through sky and BT, ticket prices etc. Address this and a natural drop in the wages should surely follow. Fan community and identity has been sold off by huge businesses and the fan is there now just to be exploited for cash.

Skills

Snitch
Why would anyone be angry at the guys who actually go out on the pitch & provide the entertainment, getting their fair share of the money they help clubs generate?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I always remember in 2000 there was a massive outcry in the media when Roy Keane got a new deal on 52k a week which made him back then the highest paid footballer in British footballer.

At the time he was captain of a team who'd just won a historic treble.

What annoys me about football is the underachieving and motivation less squad players, not contributing to the team and just happy to bench warm most weeks earning more than the 50k + Roy Keane got.

Every underachieving team has 5-6 of them. Theo Walcott would be a good example in recent times.

Yes the obscene wages the main players have is an issue but at least they're the star players. Sums up the way football has gone that Dominic Solanke was allegedly on 50k a week at Chelsea and I assume is on a similar wage at Liverpool.

He has done nothing in senior football ffs.
Because revenue in Football is the same it was in 2000

Skills

Snitch
Because people have been and are getting brainwashed that it is totally normal that people singing songs, chasing a ball or playing games on Twitch and YouTube as well as CEOs getting paid millions of dollars while policemen, surgeons, nurses, engineers, firefighters make a living for somewhere between 1,000 and 4,000 dollars. Because people elect political systems against their own self-interests.
The top end surgeons & engineers, also make what this place calls an 'obscene' amount of money.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
There are overpaid footballers individually which would disgust me but unless you’re a devoted Marxist it’s tough to argue they’re overpaid generally. If anything the top players are underpaid relative to other sports given the field they’re up against.

The players are generating the revenue. They’re who the people want to see, the ones responsible for the spectacle and it’s better the money goes to them than to the owners. You could argue that it could be invested elsewhere in the game and within communities, but in the rat race of business that’s idealistic to say the least. Just look at the ticket prices to see the morals of most owners PL owners. I do think some sort of system should be in place for younger players but again that likely just lines the pockets of the owners even more.

Sure beats the NCAA system in the States, where players are essentially exploited on the promise of a “college education”.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Because revenue in Football is the same it was in 2000
Maybe but Roy Keane was one of the leading players in football at the time.

Paying bog standard players to bench warm on 60-70k a week is where Football just endlessly wastes money. Every club is guilty of it.

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
I'm not angry. But at the same time I feel no sympathy for players getting injured. Sure, it hurts. Sure, you won't be able to walk for three months. But that's your job. You get paid to do that job.

Someone like Badstuber or Wilshere gets paid millions for playing around 5 games a year. Why would I feel sympathy.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
I think people are annoyed at it, but what can fans do? Unless fans start boycotting games, their wages will stay the same. Mahrez is the perfect example of a primadonna. He earns 100k a week (or whatever it is) and then has a hissy fit when he can't move to Man City in Jan. His friend then says he's "depressed." Give me a break, there's people with real depression out there who are suffering and this guy is acting like that - disgrace.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If you want to be mad about something look at the owner's box. Almost all problems in Football go back to the owners.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
A lot of people in this thread saying "market forces" and "demand and supply" have no idea of what the feck they're talking about. By no means is football a perfect economic market, where wages are a sole function of supply and demand.

Separate from the moral angle @Brwned is coming from, but it's a point worth making.

Prodigal7

Because this is a football forum where we talk about football. I don't have an interest in F1 so don't care. I care about football and ultimately the quality of the sport is important to me.

Money that is invested in grassroots, infrastructure etc. improve the quality of the sport and the sporting experience, so more of that is better as far as I'm concerned. Better grassroots gives better opportunities for development for my kids and should improve what's on the pitch for future generations. Better infrastructure facilitates that. New technology to augment that, whether it's in the venue or through media, improves the experience right now.

It's not about them getting some huge number and me thinking it is unjust. I couldn't give a feck about that. I care about football. And them getting paid that much doesn't improve their performances, isn't something they require for their livelihood and happiness, and it does prevent the money generated from being put to what is quite evidently better use.
Why get angry about how much footballers get paid? Business people decide if they are worth the money they get and they know better than us. I have to admit I'm a little jealous of people earning that much money but getting angry about it is silly and a little sad. If you want the club to be a local social or community program, or the abandonment of capitalism then support FC United.

Shez

Make tickets free (merit, geography, lotto based with donations to club based and authorized charities earning you preferential odds) and the wages will already drop to balance out. Yes there is more money in the game but why is it all going the side of club owners and players. Heck drop televising costs, which reduces income for TV companies which reduces what they shell out to clubs which in turn reduces what players get. Football is one example of many for industries which have just skewed too horribly in favor of the few

jungledrums

Because this is a football forum where we talk about football. I don't have an interest in F1 so don't care. I care about football and ultimately the quality of the sport is important to me.

Money that is invested in grassroots, infrastructure etc. improve the quality of the sport and the sporting experience, so more of that is better as far as I'm concerned. Better grassroots gives better opportunities for development for my kids and should improve what's on the pitch for future generations. Better infrastructure facilitates that. New technology to augment that, whether it's in the venue or through media, improves the experience right now.

It's not about them getting some huge number and me thinking it is unjust. I couldn't give a feck about that. I care about football. And them getting paid that much doesn't improve their performances, isn't something they require for their livelihood and happiness, and it does prevent the money generated from being put to what is quite evidently better use.
Why is the onus on the players to take a pay cut? They earn a fraction of what these sometimes-billion dollar clubs earn, why can’t this money come from elsewhere at the club? Beyond that, what makes you think, even if they took a pay cut, that the money would go to grassroots? Illogical to blame the players for receiving the money clubs will pay for them.

mynamejeff

this has got to be the worst thread on the caf

are you really questioning the capitalist forces of the world? what a ridiculous reaction to a loss

RMD83

Because people have been and are getting brainwashed that it is totally normal that people singing songs, chasing a ball or playing games on Twitch and YouTube as well as CEOs getting paid millions of dollars while policemen, surgeons, nurses, engineers, firefighters make a living for somewhere between 1,000 and 4,000 dollars. Because people elect political systems against their own self-interests.
A little bit more of a niche market though don’t you think. Policemen, nurses, engineers are all jobs that a vast majority of the population could do if they trained for it. If I got up tommorow and decided that I wanted to become an electrician I’m sure within a few years I would be one, the same couldn’t be said if I decided that I wanted to be a premier league footballer.

Reactions: 711

Manny

Grammar Police
I can only assume the "its not my money" crowd don't pay for anything football related. Don't buy season tickets, don't buy kits, stream the football etc.

Or put another way, wouldn't benefit from cheaper tickets, free/cheaper football on TV, grassroots football, community projects etc.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I can only assume the "its not my money" crowd don't pay for anything football related. Don't buy season tickets, don't buy kits, stream the football etc.

Or put another way, wouldn't benefit from cheaper tickets, free/cheaper football on TV, grassroots football, community projects etc.
Lower player wages would not go to any of that. The Glazers and such would just pocket all the money they saved.

pauldyson1uk

I dont give a shit what they pay them , the money is not coming out of my bank account.
I do think they are paid far to much though.
What I do expect is them to perform and today they did not do that.

pauldyson1uk

I buy tickets and kits , my kids play grassroots football ,lowering players wages would not make it any cheaper.

paulscholes18

What is there to get angry about? they are paid what what their employers think they’re worth just like the rest of us

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
if the money wasnt going to the players then it would just be more profits for owners

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Well if you're a match goer then in a way it is. Otherwise how would they get paid if people weren't attending the matches?
I also pay, granted not much as match goers. Point it is- nobody is forcing the owners to pay footballers that much. Market regulates wages.

And also- do remember that only top footballers get paid obscene amount of money. Top 2 divisions clubs in England, Spain, Italy, France hire what 3% of of all professional footballers. The rest earns peanuts for risky and relatively short career.

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
Make tickets free (merit, geography, lotto based with donations to club based and authorized charities earning you preferential odds) and the wages will already drop to balance out. Yes there is more money in the game but why is it all going the side of club owners and players. Heck drop televising costs, which reduces income for TV companies which reduces what they shell out to clubs which in turn reduces what players get. Football is one example of many for industries which have just skewed too horribly in favor of the few

You think they should earn less so they can entertain people for free?