Why booing the players is acceptable but booing the manager is anathema?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Never booed United in my life - although at times they've almost made me cry - but I absolutely reserve the right to criticise a clueless manager

AndySmith1990

Booing anyone, player or manager, in sports entertainment for performing badly or behaving controversially is acceptable, regardless of what self righteous fans tell you.

It's funny how the culture within football has for decades been similar to that of the recent rise of the cancel culture, where people are shot down and told to shut up for expressing opinions if it's unfavourable towards the club or anyone associated. You're led to believe that being a fan means you must blindly follow and support no matter what, as if it's a cult where you must give up free will and all control.

Football is just another form of escapism from the crap stuff in life, no different to gaming or reading books when it comes down to it. If you're not satisfied with what you've paid for, then you have every right to boo. It's really not a big deal.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Never understood 'supporters' or 'fans' booing their own team.

The literal meaning of a supporter goes against that of booing. So realistically are you even a supporter if you boo?

There are other ways of showing disdain for a performance, such as the attack chant during LVG, that was showing disdain whilst simultaneously showing some form of support.

But I guess some feel that booing people at their place of work for not performing is ok, as they have paid money to be entertained, so there is that I guess.

Jacob

I got warned by mods for saying Ole smiling at the end of a game we were losing made my blood boil.

Ágætis Byrjun

Booing anyone, player or manager, in sports entertainment for performing badly or behaving controversially is acceptable, regardless of what self righteous fans tell you.

It's funny how the culture within football has for decades been similar to that of the recent rise of the cancel culture, where people are shot down and told to shut up for expressing opinions if it's unfavourable towards the club or anyone associated. You're led to believe that being a fan means you must blindly follow and support no matter what, as if it's a cult where you must give up free will and all control.

Football is just another form of escapism from the crap stuff in life, no different to gaming or reading books when it comes down to it. If you're not satisfied with what you've paid for, then you have every right to boo. It's really not a big deal.
Absolutely this.

Denis79

Yes, Ole is exactly the same as Fergie. Actually, he is an even better manager. The only reason he doesn’t win trophies for us is cause as he said ‘the trophies are for egos’ and he does not have a big ego.
I don't care where we end up, relegation twice in a row, doesn't matter as long as we keep Ole at the wheel. He IS Manchester United and embodies everything we stand for. And what's the point of changing him anyways? There are no better managers out there. He and ONLY he can take us forward from here.

Stuoxford

i was at the Atalanta game and where I was the booing was directed at the players and manager. In my opinion, it was a “protest boo” and very quickly the fans started encouraging the team and manager. Also, in my area, the general opinion is that Ole doesn’t have a clue tactically.