Why can't Pep seal the deal?

Nick7

Mental block now. He’s so in his head about it he keeps tinkering as soon as they get close to a cup final and it backfires.

Coops73

...But it’s Saint Pep, he’s a genius...fecking brilliant

Zen

Too much (mostly oddity) tinkering. RM won three in a row playing practically the same team throughout....and more or less tactics. They rode their lucky massively mind you, but maybe it says something in the grand scheme of things.

It goes back to Barca, not recent, but almost every season outside of his 2 wins you can find bonkers examples of his tactics and then the players not getting it.

Then again, at some point he'll win it playing no goalie or something, just because shit happens.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He is a great coach no doubt bur he is SUPER overrated by fans as he is no where near the level of a Prime Mourinho or Sir Alex which are two names people have argued he is better then.

It is not an accident his only CL wins came with the greatest club side of all time. (Yes he had his part in that as he is a great coach).

His other stints were at the best and richest clubs in there respective leagues. Winning the league was the least he could do but in the CL he was constantly exposed.

Prime Mourinho and Sir Alex are Tier 1 of ALL time great coach and I would put pep just below them at Tier 2.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He is a great coach no doubt bur he is SUPER overrated by fans as he is no where near the level of a Prime Mourinho or Sir Alex which are two names people have argued he is better then.

It is not an accident his only CL wins came with the greatest club side of all time. (Yes he had his part in that as he is a great coach).

His other stints were at the best and richest clubs in there respective leagues. Winning the league was the least he could do but in the CL he was constantly exposed.

Prime Mourinho and Sir Alex are Tier 1 of ALL time great coach and I would put pep just below them at Tier 2.
You're talking about prime Mourinho as if he has bigger/more achievements. They have the same number of CL wins and Guardiola's City has outdone his Chelsea 2004-06 side in terms of points total. Mourinho has that CL win with Porto but Guardiola was the coach of probably the greatest club side ever.

littleman

If we're talking about Prime Mourinho, I think Zidane has to be in the convo as well

clarkydaz

You're talking about prime Mourinho as if he has bigger/more achievements. They have the same number of CL wins and Guardiola's City has outdone his Chelsea 2004-06 side in terms of points total. Mourinho has that CL win with Porto but Guardiola was the coach of probably the greatest club side ever.
Jose won it with Porto. Pep doesnt get out of the group with porto

SportingCP96

Supports
He did it in Porto, He did it in inter (Treble in both) He dominated the EPL with Chelsea and though he had resources not as Many as City plus the EPL was more competitive then.

He broke record in Madrid namely 11/12 where they were unlucky not to make the finals in that penalty shootout vs Bayern.

I am taking prime Mourinho every day and twice on Sunday.

Peps only CL wins were with Barca....

Mourinho has done it in more then one club.

Also back to back season trebles and Europeans cup wins with Porto.

Le Red

Because without Xavi - Iniesta - Messi it's not that easy.

SportingCP96

Supports
Because without Xavi - Iniesta - Messi it's not that easy.
Great coach but Overrated when compared to arguably the two greatest coaches of all time.

M16Red

Turtle neck is so tight, it cuts off blood to the head?

Traub

Let's not rewrite history here. Yes, he had Xavi - Iniesta - Messi. But that 2011 team is arguably the greatest club side of all time. You can't be in that discussion with just a 'good' manager.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
A good coach who got given the best team and best player out there and has been dining out on it since. To be fair as good as Fergie was he fecked up a lot in Europe too. It’s super fine margins. What I don’t get About pep is while I still really enjoy his style of play, he improves young players and most of his players seem to like him- why does he tinker so much in Europe? Showing off? Fear? If they’d kept their standard setup in the middle they could have scored a few more and not have to push so hard at the end. Lyon were good though. In Europe if you can break with precision and conviction you always have a shot even if you’re not as strong on paper.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He's perhaps not that great of manager and he's had the benefit of peak Messi, Xavi and Iniesta and then open cheque books...
True. His one great achievement was getting rid of the player power at Barca and then building the team around the 3 great players.
After that it has to be said that he’s taken the easy option of going to moneybags clubs.
KDB, Silva, Aguero Kompany weren’t even his signings

Chipper

Adulterer.
Something in the Manchester water supply, except mine of course.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This reminds me of a Jimmy Carr joke I dont really remember. Something with his daughters football match and best semi ever.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Coaching the team to have more forward thrust now is great, but the over reliance on pens as the only real form of penetration is worrying.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Leaving out the dubious decisions by the match officials there are a few reasons.

One of them is Pep Guardiola's insistence on always adjusting to other teams. Had our Ajax team played that way against Lyon, Ten Haag would have been rightly criticised. He simply does not trust his team in big games which they can clearly feel; I believe it makes them even more nervous, which can be seen in the way the play. I understand that the referees affected the game, but Manchester City should really not have been put in those positions.

This might be stating the fairly obvious , but no matter what tactics you use, the players you have, the most important thing is to be able to score. That is ultimately the difference between the top teams and the others. Manchester City simply do not convert their chances. This all across the board with Aguero, Gabriel Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez. They simply have a problem converting their chances and unless that is resolved, they will never win the Champions League. Bayern are ruthless in front of goal. That is ultimately the main difference between them (Bayern) this years and other years. Liverpool were rutheless in scoring from the chances and half chances. This issue is Manchester City's biggest problem and I am not sure how they can fix it.

Recruitment i also a major problem. They have not had an actual Left Back for years because they recruited an injury prone Benjamin Mendy. Why was Rodri signed instead of Thomas Partey who is a far superior player? John Stones, Otamendi are not very good players. Kyle Walker is good at preventing counter attacks but offers nothing attacking wise. Bar Leroy Sane, they now have no player with pace that can really beat players one vs one.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
He starting to evolve into his own trap: tactics tactics tactics, but forget to get in the heads of the players and motivate so that they fight like lions. A failure you can also see at Tuchel's work.

Mourinho and Pep are in the same bracket.

'Prime Mourinho' doesn't need to be mentioned with Fergie, but he never has any longevity with his success. A year or two tops, then leaves or implodes.

Pep's Suit

Terrible tactics, lack of leadership and his teams seem mentally fragile.