Why can't Rashford play on the right wing?

Lee565

having already seen ole try mata, james, greenwood (who is having a rough spell), 352 and narrow formations to try and somewhat solve our glaring right wing problem, why hasn't rashford been tried out on that side and what would exactly be disastrous about him switching wings for just this season?

We see mbappe play this position a lot for psg over the years with good success, hell even our own manager once upon time played well as right a right winger when fergie fell out with becks, with the technique rashford uses striking the ball I can't see how it would be too much of an issue for him on the right side and if you was to count on a player to produce a good cross in to the box from the right wing out of mata, james, Greenwood, martial and rashford you would choose rashford right?

Bojan11

Because feeding kids is something right wingers are not very fond about.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He can and has at times. He's just better on the left because his instinct is to run towards goal.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I don't think crossing is one of Rashfords strong point. If he worked on it then maybe it would be an option but he's a lot more effective on the left because he likes to cut in and either look for the pass or shoot. It's his natural instinct.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's played on the right a decent amount of times for both us and England over the years. He's had a few good games, but most of the time he struggled.
Could apply that to any position across the front for Marcus unfortunately.

Ekeke

having already seen ole try mata, james, greenwood (who is having a rough spell), 352 and narrow formations to try and somewhat solve our glaring right wing problem, why hasn't rashford been tried out on that side and what would exactly be disastrous about him switching wings for just this season?

We see mbappe play this position a lot for psg over the years with good success, hell even our own manager once upon time played well as right a right winger when fergie fell out with becks, with the technique rashford uses striking the ball I can't see how it would be too much of an issue for him on the right side and if you was to count on a player to produce a good cross in to the box from the right wing out of mata, james, Greenwood, martial and rashford you would choose rashford right?
We already tried him there a couple of seasons ago. He did okay, wasnt a standout performer in the role and it doesn't really suit what he likes to do on the football pitch. He wants to come inside from the left and shoot from range with his right foot. Nani was the opposite and wanted to come inside and shoot with his left foot and that was one of the reasons he was better on the right. Rashford is the opposite.

Having said that I dont think he's likely to do any worse than James and Mata on the right wing. Its just I dont think he'll score the goals and be the match winner he was in the first half of last season from the right.

If he was able to do that from the right it would be great for the team. But if anyone could do it from the right it would be great for the team

tenpoless

He can play there like a wide forward but definitely not a winger. Which means he will always want to come inside rather than providing width.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I rate Greenwood higher than Rashford (who's definitely better on the left) on the right, and possibly in the center on current form. But lets say Mason is out, and we play Marcus on the right.

Who plays on the left and in the middle? Don't see how this solves any issue.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I rate Greenwood higher than Rashford (who's definitely better on the left) on the right, and possibly in the center on current form. But lets say Mason is out, and we play Marcus on the right.

Great minds and all that

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'll point out the most obvious choice but clearly neither of you agree with it otherwise you would have wrote it out yourself.

Martial Cavani Rashford

Go!
I don't think Cavani is fit to play 90' and in that scenario we have nothing on the bench. I'd rather play two up front until Greenwood is back (what the hell is with him anyway?) and Cavani is fully fit.

Anyway, same argumentation can be used to Martial. I don't see much of a difference between them playing on the right, neither is a winger anyway so it's just playing 3 strikers.

Edit:
I also think Martial is better as a striker, he shouldn't be forced out wide. Even when not at his best, he's still dangerous close to the goal, just seems to lose it once he leaves the box.

Last edited:

Cloud7

It would be a waste, no? He's at his best going at the goal, which he can do on the left. On the right it seems like he would end up in positions where he can't really go direct at it.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'll point out the most obvious choice but clearly neither of you agree with it otherwise you would have wrote it out yourself.

Martial Cavani Rashford

Go!
Only reason I wouldn't go for it is that Martial sulks like mad playing on the left which leads to him just wandering around.

dal

He’s switched to the right on a few occasions and he seems to play it better when he’s there now.

His game has matured he’s fine there but he’s better on the left.

Him and grealish switching sides throughout a game would be beautiful.

HJ12

Because feeding kids is something right wingers are not very fond about.
:lol: clever.

Pretty sure he's been tried there a few times before, but wasn't very good. Or rather not as good as Rashford off the left.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

Martial on the left, Cavani in the middle? But as you say it doesn't solve any issues if Rashford keeps coming inside if he played on the right because he doesn't have left foot like Mason. Rashford has pace to burn so should be trying to get to the byline but for some reason this seems to be frowned on by our coaching staff so even though it's not ideal Mata is the best suited because at least when he cuts inside he's on his favoured foot.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Martial on the left, Cavani in the middle? But as you say it doesn't solve any issues if Rashford keeps coming inside if he played on the right because he doesn't have left foot like Mason. Rashford has pace to burn so should be trying to get to the byline but for some reason this seems to be frowned on by our coaching staff so even though it's not ideal Mata is the best suited because at least when he cuts inside he's on his favoured foot.
Actually I think if we want him to stay wide and deliver crosses he will be fine. His role will be very limited though.

We don't need a player who cuts inside on both wings (especially Mata who is too slow anyway), in fact we would benefit from at least one player who can stay wide and deliver crosses. Makes my head in why we didn't address that in the summer.

Ed9

As a right-footed forward his preference is to cut in and shoot. On the right, Greenwood, also a forward can do both shooting and crossing as an added bonus as he can play with both feet.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Actually I think if we want him to stay wide and deliver crosses he will be fine. His role will be very limited though.

We don't need a player who cuts inside on both wings (especially Mata who is too slow anyway), in fact we would benefit from at least one player who can stay wide and deliver crosses. Makes my head in why we didn't address that in the summer.
With this I definitely agree. It makes us so predictable. Martial the odd time makes it to the byline but not because he takes on defenders on the outside but by playing one twos and getting himself in that position which when giving us time and space can be effective but when we now have a player like Cavani who thrives on crosses it's not enough when we play against teams who don't give us space and let's face it, it's now becoming the majority.

I've noticed the last few games that Shaw is getting closer to the byline and putting in some good crosses so hopefully it will mix things up a bit but we still need more than one player doing it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He can and he has but he was rubbish.

Lee565

Martial Cavani Rashford

Go!
This if cavani can get match fit and suffer no injury set backs and let's not write the guy just because of his age when the likes of vardy, Lewandowski and ibra still around the top scorers in their leagues.

As for rashford liking to cut in, he has the shooting technique to shoot across the goalkeeper and would use his goal from being on the right away to spurs with that infamous pass assist from pogba as an example of this.

luke511

Because his favourite thing to do is to feint a shot, which is far less effective on the right. Plus playing an inconsistent player in an unnatural position isn't wise.

Lentwood

I think most people forget Rashford was a right-winger really, it was only that we were so short of forwards when he made his debut that he played in a more advanced role.

I personally think we should try it for a few games. Firstly, he is not a CF, so let's forget that.

Secondly, Martial is better than him on the left, so we could play Cavani or Fernandes in the 'Firminho'-type positon and have Martial (FWL) and Rashford (FWR) split either side in advanced positions.

Thirdly, Rashford has no left foot so is pretty predictable on the LW against a low-block (when given time/space he can obviously be effective cutting inside and shooting).

Finally. AWB isn't much of an attacker (although not as bad as made out) so let's just leave him to defend and let Rashford provide service from that side with his stronger right-foot

POF

He can and has. He got a hattrick from the right wing against Leipzig.

The problem, as mentioned above is who would play on the left. If the club had signed Sancho or Grealish he would have played on the right far more often.

luke511

He can and has. He got a hattrick from the right wing against Leipzig.

The problem, as mentioned above is who would play on the left. If the club had signed Sancho or Grealish he would have played on the right far more often.
He was the right sided striker vs Leipzig.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think most people forget Rashford was a right-winger really, it was only that we were so short of forwards when he made his debut that he played in a more advanced role.

I personally think we should try it for a few games. Firstly, he is not a CF, so let's forget that.

Secondly, Martial is better than him on the left, so we could play Cavani or Fernandes in the 'Firminho'-type positon and have Martial (FWL) and Rashford (FWR) split either side in advanced positions.

Thirdly, Rashford has no left foot so is pretty predictable on the LW against a low-block (when given time/space he can obviously be effective cutting inside and shooting).

Finally. AWB isn't much of an attacker (although not as bad as made out) so let's just leave him to defend and let Rashford provide service from that side with his stronger right-foot
I’m pretty sure he smashed one in against Brighton with his left