Why did Haaland get labeled by the media as an enemy?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
After years of seeing our own players being media trained into giving standard answers, it's not surprising to see English media taking offence to the Haaland interviews.

I just wanted to raise a point about this, because I think this shit is just too boring. It's nothing wrong with the way Haaland answered.

To me the media are too hostile waiting to make a headline out of anyone who displays a personality trait, and it makes the whole thing boring. It's the reason why our players get media trained to give standard answers. I would prefer if the media could take responsibility and instead of being hostile and ask questions designed for a person to say something wrong or something unnatural, so they can make a headline, instead find some good natural questions, preferably about the game. If the questions are interesting and easy to answer, you might get an honest interesting take on it with some insight but if the question is stupid you get the answer you want. I mean why even bother asking questions, when you know what someone is going to say?

Anyone want to chime in and tell me whats up with this? Is the media in the right, does the kid lack respect, or should the media take responsibility for trying to image this kid and change their approach of coverage in football. There is different ways to go about it, and I'd be interested to know these people but is anyone really watching interviews and stuff these days? They have to protect themselves from the media, and I do believe it takes something away from the paying fans.

Might be insignificant, but I just found him cool and different and he should be allowed to be himself, and he certainly didn't seem disrespectful. Does the media have too much power in these matters?

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
After years of seeing our own players being media trained into giving standard answers, it's not surprising to see English media taking offence to the Haaland interviews.

I just wanted to raise a point about this, because I think this shit is just too boring. It's nothing wrong with the way Haaland answered.

To me the media are too hostile waiting to make a headline out of anyone who displays a personality trait, and it makes the whole thing boring. It's the reason why our players get media trained to give standard answers. I would prefer if the media could take responsibility and instead of being hostile and ask questions designed for a person to say something wrong or something unnatural, so they can make a headline, instead find some good natural questions, preferably about the game. If the questions are interesting and easy to answer, you might get an honest interesting take on it with some insight but if the question is stupid you get the answer you want. I mean why even bother asking questions, when you know what someone is going to say?

Anyone want to chime in and tell me whats up with this? Is the media in the right, does the kid lack respect, or should the media take responsibility for trying to image this kid and change their approach of coverage in football. There is different ways to go about it, and I'd be interested to know these people but is anyone really watching interviews and stuff these days? They have to protect themselves from the media, and I do believe it takes something away from the paying fans.

Might be insignificant, but I just found him cool and different and he should be allowed to be himself, and he certainly didn't seem disrespectful. Does the media have too much power in these matters?
Haaland is taking a page out of Zlatan's book without the overly cocky stuff because he simply hasn't done enough yet to credibly say it, but I won't be shocked if he leans that way down the line with a more accomplished resume. He likes to have fun with the media's boring questions, and he's someone who will talk some smack before a game, I personally like it but I know some of the media will push back on that, at the end of the day if he performs on the field they'll be pretty powerless. He has to find the right balance though, the only time I thought he was out of line is when he called the reporter's question stupid right next to him, he was right but he should keep that to himself.

He still gets defended quite a bit, because when PSG did the zen celebration, most people were saying 'how could PSG bully a teenager' when it was Haaland (who did nothing to back it up in the return leg) along with Dormund, who started the smack talk.

rstubh

I don't know exactly what situation you're referring to in the OP, but generally speaking Haaland's way of answering questions is pretty typical for Norwegians. If a question is deemed stupid then we will let you know and either not answer it at all or answer in a slightly mocking way. This doesn't reflect poorly on the person asked here, but rather the person asking the question will be kicking himself and feeling bad for asking a stupid question. It's just Haaland being himself, and I hope it won't be coached out of him.

I've experienced this to be different to the culture in the US for instance (and perhaps England, I don't know you guys very well) where it instead reflects poorly on the person being interviewed, because you're supposed to answer every question politely. Even the stupid ones. We're more blunt over here.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I don't know exactly what situation you're referring to in the OP, but generally speaking Haaland's way of answering questions is pretty typical for Norwegians. If a question is deemed stupid then we will let you know and either not answer it at all or answer in a slightly mocking way. This doesn't reflect poorly on the person asked here, but rather the person asking the question will be kicking himself and feeling bad for asking a stupid question. It's just Haaland being himself, and I hope it won't be coached out of him.

I've experienced this to be different to the culture in the US for instance (and perhaps England, I don't know you guys very well) where it instead reflects poorly on the person being interviewed, because you're supposed to answer every question politely. Even the stupid ones. We're more blunt over here.
If true, good on him, about time some people let the media know what an inane bunch of idiots they are.

youngrell

Reminds me of Ole's "couldn't care less" response to a Liverpool question during his Cardiff stint :D

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He still gets defended quite a bit, because when PSG did the zen celebration, most people were saying 'how could PSG bully a teenager' when it was Haaland (who did nothing to back it up in the return leg) along with Dormund, who started the smack talk.
What 'smack talk' did he start? He did nothing, PSG took offence of a snapchat screenshot posted by some fan account.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What's going on? Give at least some link in op for us who don't know who made Haaland an enemy.
Updated the OP.

Haaland is taking a page out of Zlatan's book without the overly cocky stuff because he simply hasn't done enough yet to credibly say it, but I won't be shocked if he leans that way down the line with a more accomplished resume.
Do you think he is going to become cocky in interviews after he has done more in the game? Maybe, but I just found very little evidence of that being the case. To me he just seemed a bit sensitive to the questions asked and no wonder. He already did insane things for such a young player and most of the questions were based around breaking those records etc. He gave his answers with a smile on his face, I think he was polite he just preferred to not go into detail on some of the questions and I can't blame him.

I don't know exactly what situation you're referring to in the OP,
Updated it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think it sucks that players have to do media in the first place even if they do not want to before trying to force them to respond in a way that you want them to.

Skeezix

I think it sucks that players have to do media in the first place even if they do not want to before trying to force them to respond in a way that you want them to.
Considering how mundane and at the other extreme, often cynical the questions from journalists are, I agree with you.
Maybe a general rule of no post match or unscripted interviews for young players below 21 yrs? That might do.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
TV Pundts decided that his style of response was insulting to reporters, so the pundits created the label. Middle aged men 40+ decided this on his behalf.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Considering how mundane and at the other extreme, often cynical the questions from journalists are, I agree with you.
Maybe a general rule of no post match or unscripted interviews for young players below 21 yrs? That might do.
It's certainly a better way of doing things than going to war against 19 year old boy for being too short with you.

sveisa

I'm Norwegian and I don't think this is accurate.

I think he's just acting as a cocky teenager. He clearly knows how to play football but is still immature in the sense that he disrespects these journalists. All that said, this is a storm in a teacup isn't it?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
TV Pundts decided that his style of response was insulting to reporters, so the pundits created the label. Middle aged men 40+ decided this on his behalf.
This is what I'm saying. It's not like the reporter needed to have a sit down with the kid because he got his feelings hurt, it's just the media creating labels, being in judgement of something irrelevant to football and trying to build up a story to get people to talk shite. It's too boring :lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

That's fine for me. Haaland will be talked about as 'raw', 'lacking media saavy' or even 'rude' because of how he answered but matchday interviews are not journalism, they're a well-worn dance where the most obvious, least insightful questions are asked and boilerplate nothing answers are expected in return. The reporter who is left high and dry in the first clip is not evil and perhaps doesn't deserve to be personally ridiculed but at the same time he is actively partaking in vacuous rubbish, he and other reporters shouldn't be surprised if the nothingness of the matchday interview is occasionally laid bare by the Haalands of this world and they look foolish as a result.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
This is what I'm saying. It's not like the reporter needed to have a sit down with the kid because he got his feelings hurt, it's just the media creating labels, being in judgement of something irrelevant to football and trying to build up a story to get people to talk shite. It's too boring :lol:
Exactly. They make nothing into something and spins it eternally to get more clicks.

redshaw

English media?

Most of the interviews and reactions I've seen is from other countries where he plays or played in.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Haven't heard anything about it before reading your post, but I have to say, the video that starts by Piers Morgan teaching anyone manners isn't something that I'll take seriously :lol:

The questions in the second video are stupid, he has every right to answer like he does.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They don't really have to answer in any specific way and if Haaland wants to be like that it's up to him I guess. I've got no issue with it and prefer it to the media training interviews other players give. Listening to Rashford is like watching paint dry. He's had any freedom sucked out of him and always gives the '3 points all that matters, focus on the next game' bollocks.

I think Michail Antonio's interview after the Chelsea win was perfect. He was so enthusiastic and happy and treated it like a normal conversation.

Blatzo

It's a shame that interviewers (in the clips I've seen) can't just take this and run with it. Follow-up questions aren't exactly difficult.

"What's the secret to your success?"

"Hard work"

"There are 7 year olds watching you and wanting to follow in your footsteps, what would you tell them to focus on in training?"

Also if he objects to the generic cookie-cutter stuff throw him some curveballs.

Matriac

I'm Norwegian and I don't think this is accurate.

I think he's just acting as a cocky teenager. He clearly knows how to play football but is still immature in the sense that he disrespects these journalists. All that said, this is a storm in a teacup isn't it?
I'm also Norwegian and I tend to be overly sarcastic about what I consider dumb questions from people who should know better. (Dumb questions from juniors/beginners that show real interest to learn is another matter entirely.)

While I try to be polite in my professional career, as it tends to be considered "friendlier" than many other industries, if I was widely considered to be one of the best in the world at what I do I might allow myself a bit more cockyness when I feel that others are underperforming in their job (not your own teammates ofc).

I love post-game interviews with Rashford, but he never actually says anything of substance does he? (As he's been trained to be, but also a very humble personality.)

Media also often get to choose (at least request) who they prefer talking to, and Haaland was suddenly requested by everyone all the time. I can understand his glibness.
And most of the media frenzy was taken out of context anyway, he did full proper interviews to most and maybe added a few jokey responses towards the end of the interviews, but it was supercut into a compilation that made it look like he only answered that way in every interview.

Reactions: Ødegaard

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the critics are a bit full of themselves/their profession. These post match interviews are dumbed down to the extreme, they basically have a catalogue of 20 stupid question and then pick a couple depending on the result, it's always the same, no matter if I watch a German or English broadcast.
Haaland's big mistake was that he didn't do the reporter's work for them: he didn't inflate his answers with empty phrases to get them the length you would associate with a good question.
More and more I just skip these interviews, as everything about them is just hot air or an attempt to fabricate some controversy.

Matriac

English media?

Most of the interviews and reactions I've seen is from other countries where he plays or played in.
Yeah, but it was English pundits who most vocally took offense to it.

Piers Morgan and some lady I was unfamiliar with before. It became a small thing on Twitter for a week after someone made a supercut compilation of Haaland's most glib responses from a series of interviews.

Which then turned into a big thing in Norwegian media for like 2 weeks cause we like it when foreigners are talking about us.

Infestissumam

I like it when players or managers stray from the usual standard answers and call out the media for their BS from time to time. Like in Germany's 2nd division a couple of weeks ago, when Dresden was 3 points and +15 GD behind with one game to go and the Sky reporter repeatedly told the manager "it's not over, you could still make it!". Ask stupid questions, get stupid answers.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think the broken part is expecting the best players to be the best talkers. Rarely the case.

Post match I’d rather hear from players that want to talk. If that’s the full back who only had four touches, fine.

Hearing from a player that doesn’t give a shit, then criticise them for not giving a shit... pretty daft.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

ESPN has a very disturbing obsession with Erling Haaland. They can't stop talking about him. It's weird. Leave the kid in peace seriously.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you ask questions that are supposed to lead to short answers, what do you expect to happen?

Is he the one who said that he will text his friends, when asked what he would say to them?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What 'smack talk' did he start? He did nothing, PSG took offence of a snapchat screenshot posted by some fan account.
Maybe that's true, but that picture made the rounds ahead of the return leg and he did nothing to dispel the notion, so it was always going to come back and haunt him even if he had nothing to do with it, just the nature of the game. Regardless, whether it was from him or not, Dortmund was making a lot of noise from their PR department on social media, and PSG did their part. I don't think any of it was serious or offensive to either side, but immediately the media took it serious and came to the rescue of Haaland as if he was some 5 year old kid getting bullied on the playground, it was a bit strange especially given how invisible he was in the biggest game of his season, but all the focus was on PSG 'bullying' Haaland instead, so it showed that, at least at that time, the media was protective of him and he wasn't the 'enemy'

Now maybe I'm remembering the timelines wrong and this happened before he got heat for his interviews with a few journalists, but that's the most recent example I can remember of the media protecting him.

Do you think he is going to become cocky in interviews after he has done more in the game? Maybe, but I just found very little evidence of that being the case. To me he just seemed a bit sensitive to the questions asked and no wonder. He already did insane things for such a young player and most of the questions were based around breaking those records etc. He gave his answers with a smile on his face, I think he was polite he just preferred to not go into detail on some of the questions and I can't blame him.
I have no idea, I just know he's a fan of Zlatan not just as a player but as a personality, and he's still so young and somewhat impressionable I'd imagine. What seems like a good idea right now might not feel that way a few years down the line, or if it brings unnecessary heat on you. Personally, I'd love to see him talk shit, be arrogant, and score goals when everyone else wishes he'd fail so he'd stop talking. I kind of like to see those personalities, but I'm really not sure that's who he really is, or even wants to be. I see him more as a Greg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs, his interviews are famous because he's got no time for dumb questions and will let you know in no uncertain terms how dumb what you're asking him is. I wouldn't mind seeing a version of that in football because they certainly ask a lot of the same dumb questions.

Revan

Assumptionman
What's the key to your success is the most idiotic cliche question ever.

Bwuk

He’s what, 19 years old and scoring for fun.

Would rather he had personality and character than just be boring typical media trained player.

Would love Pogba to call Henderson sh*te.

fps

Let’s face it, the media make a living off others and are always desperate for anything to talk about, no matter how barrel scraping. This is one of those things.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What's the key to your success is the most idiotic cliche question ever.
Love how billionaires always talk about passion because obviously they can't just say "I'm simply much smarter than you".

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
He's an enemy? First time I've heard it

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I like him, and i think a lot of us would like to be in his position to put the journos in their place. It's no different to how Zlatan or Fergie would have done it.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

Unless you’re 16 years old that must be pure BS.

I have visit Norway on a regular basis since 1969 and I have no experience whatsoever about adult Norwegians who acts like your description. Why would they? Doesn’t make any sense.

My experience is the opposite. In general Norwegians of all ages are friendly, nice and polite. Similar to Ole. Maybe you find some spoiled “brats” in Oslo but I say in general you have to work hard to find “gutter” who’re pure d*ckheads.

I really hope Haaland and his advisers are smart enough to not copy Zlatan‘s approach. Totally different backgrounds. One is a first generation immigrant who had to prove himself against all odds. The other one is more or less born with a silver spoon in his mouth. When Zlatan is arrogant and cocky he’s authentic and often have a reason. When Haaland tries to be cocky or arrogant it just feels weird and most adult cringe a little bit. (apart from overly nationalistic Norwegians and some teenagers)

The way I see it is that Zlatan was born with a natural charm and he is highly street smart. By reading his book it’s easier to understand his cockiness. In his first years with Malmo and Ajax most elder men like me was a little bit skeptical, maybe he was to much and to often but with time his charm overshadowed his cockiness. Another huge part was that Swedens biggest newspaper treated him a little bit unfair. Zlatan took it personal and boycotted Aftonbladet (name of the newspaper) to the extend that they had to go to Italy and apologize to Zlatan in person.

Highly entertaining and from that point the young man was a cult hero and a political force that couldn’t be ignored.

When Zlatan had an opinion the newspapers in Sweden reported almost everything word by word. Journalists had at that time learned their lesson and pick a fight with Zlatan could sometimes cost them their job. At that time was some Swedish journalists genuinely scared of Zlatan. Almost 2 meter tall, 90-95 kg pure muscles, intelligent, street smart, rich and on top of that he was extremely powerful and that made Zlatan look like a Swedish version of Muhammad Ali.

Larger then life. Enough power to dictate his own conditions.

Only Astrid Lindgren, Ingemar Bergman, and Ingemar Stenmark has had similar status among Swedish people. Totally untouchable and only people with suicide ambitions took that road.

From the few clips I have seen with Haaland he has “not so much” charm (and that’s a polite view) and his answers often has a offensive nature. Like a young opportunist trying to be smart. Maybe that’s popular among his young fans but in the long run that sort of public approach often is counter productive. Most people sooner or later prefers those who’re nice and humble. That’s just how it is.

I like Haaland and sometimes find his approach refreshing but it’s a thin line when using sarcasm or irony. As a teenager he’s cool but when he’s entering his twenties I’m quite sure he has to change his style if he wants to build his personal brand a little bit further.

Scoring goals makes him immune but when the numbers dries out things can change fast.