Why did Haaland get labeled by the media as an enemy?

Web of Bissaka

Not Interview Friendly = Enemy!

After every Haaland interviews,
Interviewer: Let's get back at this annoying guy by making bad articles/press-releases,etc for making our job miserable.

It’s clearly his immaturity showing through.

His club need to be having a word with him, and out him through some media training.

It would be amusing if he did it once, but he needs to learn the rules of the game.

DarkLord

Why was he kicked out of the club? I enjoyed watching his interviews, it's funny as hell. Good to see these journalists being taken down a peg. Not everyone has to follow the mainstream.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
According to an employee at the club, they had to be careful due to the national corona rules for pubs and restaurants. And as a lot of people approached Haaland when he tried to go to the toilet, a guard misunderstood and thought Haaland did not follow the rules, thus wanting to evict him. One are not supposed to get up from the table unless its to go to the toilet or leave. But people wanted to talk to him so it propably looked like he did not adhere to the rules. The misunderstanding was cleared afterwards, and no hard feelings between the employees and Haaland, who otherwise had a nice evening.

Really not something to judge a person by, and people tend to jump to conclusions watching small video clips without knowing the background :)

Seveneric

It also doesn't help that he has the face of a computer-generated character when you select 'randomize'

RUCK4444

I get that people like that he’s mugging off the press but let’s have it right - the kid seems a 24 carat c*nt :lol:

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
According to an employee at the club, they had to be careful due to the national corona rules for pubs and restaurants. And as a lot of people approached Haaland when he tried to go to the toilet, a guard misunderstood and thought Haaland did not follow the rules, thus wanting to evict him. One are not supposed to get up from the table unless its to go to the toilet or leave. But people wanted to talk to him so it propably looked like he did not adhere to the rules. The misunderstanding was cleared afterwards, and no hard feelings between the employees and Haaland, who otherwise had a nice evening.

Really not something to judge a person by, and people tend to jump to conclusions watching small video clips without knowing the background :)
A Zebra will always be a Zebra no matter how good you paint it in other colors. Time will tell...

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
What's the key to your success is the most idiotic cliche question ever.
:lol: 'Whats your secret?' :lol: As if he gets the powerpuff girls father to mix him some potions pre match. What kind of question is that!!! :lol::lol:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Saw the negative article on him yesterday on our Bosnian most visited site and thought something fishy is going on. It's definitely sponsored article that is meant to portray him as a bad guy, but European media reaching the Bosnia with the agenda of portraying him as a bad guy is something that I haven't seen before, considering our media have nothing against him obviously, but for some reason looks like they were paid to write bad article about him. :eek:

What the feck is going on, does someone want to ruin his career and put pressure on him for some reason?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Saw the negative article on him yesterday on our Bosnian most visited site and thought something fishy is going on. It's definitely sponsored article that is meant to portray him as a bad guy, but European media reaching the Bosnia with the agenda of portraying him as a bad guy is something that I haven't seen before, considering our media have nothing against him obviously, but for some reason looks like they were paid to write bad article about him. :eek:

What the feck is going on, does someone want to ruin his career and put pressure on him for some reason?
I mean no offense, but why do you think anyone would give a shit about what 3 million people in Bosnia think about a Noggie playing in Germany? That's a bit tinfoil hattish.

RashyForPM

Norwegians (all Scandinavians actually) are the best. Went there last year and they were the nicest people ever. If the question is stupid, let the interviewer know! No problem with that, just some home truths.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I mean no offense, but why do you think anyone would give a shit about what 3 million people in Bosnia think about a Noggie playing in Germany? That's a bit tinfoil hattish.
Non taken, we are obviously not a big market but you obviously have no idea about how internet ads and sponsored articles work. We get sponsored Meghan Markle articles here, sponsored UEFA articles, heck even sponsored Ronaldo articles are weekly posted on some of our most visited sited. It's nothing to do with Bosnia in particular, but these big media sites obviously have worldwide coverage with those sponsored articles, and one about Haaland was clearly sponsored and pasted from foreign website. Site that has over 10 million clicks monthly is pretty important for those big european sport sites, I reckon.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Non taken, we are obviously not a big market but you obviously have no idea about how internet ads and sponsored articles work. We get sponsored Meghan Markle articles here, sponsored UEFA articles, heck even sponsored Ronaldo articles are weekly posted on some of our most visited sited. It's nothing to do with Bosnia in particular, but these big media sites obviously have worldwide coverage with those sponsored articles, and one about Haaland was clearly sponsored and pasted from foreign website. Site that has over 10 million clicks monthly is pretty important for those big european sport sites, I reckon.
What do you mean by sponsored? Are they indicated as such?

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
What do you mean by sponsored? Are they indicated as such?
By sponsored I mean media sites being paid to share some individual articles, or even obliged by google or other sites to share number of articles on their site.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

"But the interviewers aren't trying to catch him out!!!"

Stupid UK journalists who are more interested in witch hunts than actual journalism. These shit stirring bellends live off creating narratives and controversy out of nothing and ruin other peoples lives.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
That sounded like a come on from the interviewer, may as well have asked him how he wanted his eggs cooked in the morning.

Sylar

Whats wrong with him giving brief answers? If thats how he is, then thats how he will answer. Unless they just want standard answers to standard questions.

Q: How was the game?
A : It was a game of two halves. Im happy to score, but happier for the team, etc...

Weird nonsense from Oatley given players dont need journalists in 2020 to communicate to fans.

Nico87

I don’t blame him, even if the interviewer isn’t themselves trying to trip them up the gutter press or Twitter will try and cherry pick quotes and remove all nuance and context to portray it in a totall different way. Giving inane boring interviews is the best way to subvert that as if I was in their shoes I couldn’t be bothered constantly having to explain myself either.

I remember Andy Murray use to try and be friendly and playful with the media to only to then be stitched up by them. He was giving a joint interview with Tim Henmam during an international tournament and Henman jokingly asked Murray who Scotland were playing?. To which minutes later when asked who “he would be supporting?” in an obvious call back to being mocked earlier joked “whoever England were playing against“. Other sources then reported as if he’d just said this with actual bile and at face value for which he received a ton of vitriol.

Haaland himself was on the receiving end when media sources attributed quotes from a fans Twitter account to himself that massively antagonised PSG players and fans, if reporters can’t be bothered to do minimal research or not deliberately remove context for a salacious headline they shouldn’t be surprised when stars are reluctant to engage with them.

RashyForPM

Who was the guy who started the thread calling for less abuse on journalists? Clown. I’m sorry but these people trying to cast aspersions on others have to be abused :) Just saying, for normal people who do their jobs like rival players and managers, I naturally do not condone any abuse towards them, even divers like Lamela. However, these journos deserve it. They ruin people’s lives.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't see what he did wrong there, the interviewer asked a couple of odd questions.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
he doesn't? all I see generally is people laughing how weird his personality is and everyone is positive about his football

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What the shit were those questions? :lol:

I like his confidence though. He's clearly the type of player we need, in my opinion.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What the shit were those questions? :lol:

I like his confidence though. He's clearly the type of player we need, in my opinion.
Designed specifically for someone who reportedly doesn't enjoy getting compliments. Reverse psychology or something weird like that but its anyones guess.

Supports
England
I think the critics are a bit full of themselves/their profession. These post match interviews are dumbed down to the extreme, they basically have a catalogue of 20 stupid question and then pick a couple depending on the result, it's always the same, no matter if I watch a German or English broadcast.
Haaland's big mistake was that he didn't do the reporter's work for them: he didn't inflate his answers with empty phrases to get them the length you would associate with a good question.
More and more I just skip these interviews, as everything about them is just hot air or an attempt to fabricate some controversy.
The fact that any even vaguely controversial statement is then taken out of context and blown way out of proportion feeds the vicious cycle that makes players expressing themselves in any meaningful way so rare in the first place. It sucks.

Supports
England
https://1.ftb.al/EgivcNDN37

The security guards are not impressed with young Haaland.
Okay, yeah, that behaviour doesn't come across great. In my experience, you typically have to have done something wrong to be ejected from a club like that. Resisting it doesn't create a better look either.

Supports
England
Love how billionaires always talk about passion because obviously they can't just say "I'm simply much smarter than you".
100%.

(Not to imply that all billionaires got where they are as a direct result of their own individual brilliance - that's often not the case - but there's a huge, frustrating aversion to people crediting their achievements to genetic determinism)

Supports
England
Unless you’re 16 years old that must be pure BS.

I have visit Norway on a regular basis since 1969 and I have no experience whatsoever about adult Norwegians who acts like your description. Why would they? Doesn’t make any sense.

My experience is the opposite. In general Norwegians of all ages are friendly, nice and polite. Similar to Ole. Maybe you find some spoiled “brats” in Oslo but I say in general you have to work hard to find “gutter” who’re pure d*ckheads.

I really hope Haaland and his advisers are smart enough to not copy Zlatan‘s approach. Totally different backgrounds. One is a first generation immigrant who had to prove himself against all odds. The other one is more or less born with a silver spoon in his mouth. When Zlatan is arrogant and cocky he’s authentic and often have a reason. When Haaland tries to be cocky or arrogant it just feels weird and most adult cringe a little bit. (apart from overly nationalistic Norwegians and some teenagers)

The way I see it is that Zlatan was born with a natural charm and he is highly street smart. By reading his book it’s easier to understand his cockiness. In his first years with Malmo and Ajax most elder men like me was a little bit skeptical, maybe he was to much and to often but with time his charm overshadowed his cockiness. Another huge part was that Swedens biggest newspaper treated him a little bit unfair. Zlatan took it personal and boycotted Aftonbladet (name of the newspaper) to the extend that they had to go to Italy and apologize to Zlatan in person.

Highly entertaining and from that point the young man was a cult hero and a political force that couldn’t be ignored.

When Zlatan had an opinion the newspapers in Sweden reported almost everything word by word. Journalists had at that time learned their lesson and pick a fight with Zlatan could sometimes cost them their job. At that time was some Swedish journalists genuinely scared of Zlatan. Almost 2 meter tall, 90-95 kg pure muscles, intelligent, street smart, rich and on top of that he was extremely powerful and that made Zlatan look like a Swedish version of Muhammad Ali.

Larger then life. Enough power to dictate his own conditions.

Only Astrid Lindgren, Ingemar Bergman, and Ingemar Stenmark has had similar status among Swedish people. Totally untouchable and only people with suicide ambitions took that road.

From the few clips I have seen with Haaland he has “not so much” charm (and that’s a polite view) and his answers often has a offensive nature. Like a young opportunist trying to be smart. Maybe that’s popular among his young fans but in the long run that sort of public approach often is counter productive. Most people sooner or later prefers those who’re nice and humble. That’s just how it is.

I like Haaland and sometimes find his approach refreshing but it’s a thin line when using sarcasm or irony. As a teenager he’s cool but when he’s entering his twenties I’m quite sure he has to change his style if he wants to build his personal brand a little bit further.

Scoring goals makes him immune but when the numbers dries out things can change fast.
I find Ibra insufferable and always have but to each their own. It's just a counterpoint to the idea that his version of the cocky persona is universally appreciated.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Okay, yeah, that behaviour doesn't come across great. In my experience, you typically have to have done something wrong to be ejected from a club like that. Resisting it doesn't create a better look either.
Story was that due to covid people weren't allowed to get close to each other but others people in the club started swarming Haaland to get a photo with him and hence he was sent out.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
From his interviews he seems like a straight up, no nonsense guy, who doesn't enjoy bullshitting around with people he's not familiar with.

Its the job of the interviewer to ask good questions that get a good response, but they all seem to ask the same daft questions week in week out. They're getting answers they're not comfortable with.

Just because they're not comfortable, due to their own issues, doesn't mean that its the fault of the person in front of them.

Oranges038

Modern media labelling someone as an enemy because they' don't like how he answers questions.

Maybe it's because he doesn't give them answers that they can twist into pointless headlines.

Maybe they're so used to getting spoon fed information for sports reports that they don't know how to handle it when someone does this.

Maybe they are just trying to make something out of nothing because he gives them nothing worthwile to write about.

I like his approach, it's funny and even funnier that the media can't seems to handle it, so they react like this. Wish more players would do this.