Why did Liverpool fans boo the national anthem?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Don't they have a chant along the lines of: “we’re not English, we are Scouse”?

People from Liverpool generally do not identify as English. If you happen to meet a scouser one day, you'll instantly understand why.

Toblerone92

Our national anthem is awful. Of all the pieces of music that could have been selected, we went for a dreary few chords that do little to excite anyone.

Plus feck the royal family. Outdated institution that should be binned off as soon as the Queen pops it. For me it represents and characterises some of the wider problems in British society of not only class, but also the deferential and obsequious way with which we view those in positions of power and authority.

Credit to the dippers for booing the anthem. They get it. Shame half of this country and probably this fan base still don’t.

Irwin99

Our national anthem is awful. Of all the pieces of music that could have been selected, we went for a dreary few chords that do little to excite anyone.

Credit to the dippers for booing the anthem. They get it. Shame half of this country and probably this fan base still don’t.
I always thought United fans did get it to be fair. The abuse that both the English United players and the club itself got from England fans in the 90s/00s had always led United fans to be more pro-Manchester than pro-England, or at least that's what I thought. Then you've got the Ronaldo and Argentina chants which were great too and were somewhat antagonistic in a funny way.

djembatheking

People from Liverpool generally do not identify as English. If you happen to meet a scouser one day, you'll instantly understand why.
They sound Welsh with all that spitting and phlegming.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

They were also booing ‘Abide with me’.

Let’s not pretend this was some intellectually informed anti-establishment protest. They’re mindless ****s who believe the world is against them, and therefore boo when others are singing, drunkenly heckle acts on stage thinking they’re being smart and harass people at bars on holiday.

It’s simply what they do, and it’s why they are the most hated club amongst fans in England.
honestly mate, the same fanbase who when it suited them booed and harassed one of our black players for having the audacity to report one of their players for racially abusing him. Now all of a sudden they’re the moral arbiters of society. And they’re doing this for the “north of England”

Plus feck the royal family. Outdated institution that should be binned off as soon as the Queen pops it. For me it represents and characterises some of the wider problems in British society of not only class, but also the deferential and obsequious way with which we view those in positions of power and authority.

A shame a significant section of their fanbase didn’t get it ten years ago when they booed a black man for standing up for himself.

lsd

The Oracle
The only question is why don't other teams boo the Anthem?

It's dull boring and the Royals are nothing but tax sponging idiots

Classical Mechanic

I’ve lived in Manchester (well, Salford) for all but 3 years of my life and can honestly say I’ve simply never seen any flags outside of a major football tournament.
Its the same where I’m from in Oldham. There are probably a few British flags in my whole area (I walk all over with the dog). Although partly contrary to the original point, the places where you do see England flags more regularly here is in white working class areas.

There are now more Ukraine flags here than there have ever been England or Union Jacks.

Last edited:

matt10000

Plenty of pwople here in the North West will put up bunting and flags for the jubilee but not because they particularly love the queen, it’s just because they love a great piss up!

Frank Rizzo

Supports
Yankees
Can't imagine booing my own Anthem. But they have every right to do so I guess
"Ben Ik Van Duitsen Bloed"* - How did that survive the Second World War?

I always found the Netherlands Medieval in many respects and the Dutch overwhelmingly obsequious and servile when it came to their royal family, especially considering prince Bernhard's Nazi/SS career, Lockheed scandal, etc. and queen Maxima’s father being involved with the fascist junta and the “disappearances” in Argentina, for example, but each to their own, I guess.

All national anthems should be banned as far as I’m concerned. Nationalism seems almost like 'Stockholm syndrome' for cowards afraid to step up to their masters.

The only time I find it acceptable to listen to the US anthem is when it’s played by Jimi Hendrix, high on LSD, blasting his Strat through a Marshall amp.

(*Netherlands anthem has a line - “I am from German blood”)

Reactions: Cheimoon

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I’ve lived in Manchester (well, Salford) for all but 3 years of my life and can honestly say I’ve simply never seen any flags outside of a major football tournament.
I live in Salford and see flags on plenty of poles, even on old buildings not used by the government, and in homes and especially pubs. I even see it in Manchester.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
honestly mate, the same fanbase who when it suited them booed and harassed one of our black players for having the audacity to report one of their players for racially abusing him. Now all of a sudden they’re the moral arbiters of society. And they’re doing this for the “north of England”

A shame a significant section of their fanbase didn’t get it ten years ago when they booed a black man for standing up for himself.
If they knew their history, they would realise that the North is not all in lockstep with each other in regards to patriotism, the monarchy etc. They also cannot claim to be the city that speaks for us all for an area that has historical regional capitals like York, Lancaster, Newcastle, Carlisle etc. In the civil war, much of the north was royalist for example.

DutchRed7

We had a meeting about WWII, and Germany said to be very sorry. So water under the bridge.

I always found the Netherlands Medieval in many respects and the Dutch overwhelmingly obsequious and servile when it came to their royal family, especially considering prince Bernhard's Nazi/SS career, Lockheed scandal, etc. and queen Maxima’s father being involved with the fascist junta and the “disappearances” in Argentina, for example, but each to their own, I guess.
You can imagine how proud we are

Toblerone92

I think anti-royal sentiment has grown considerably since then due to recent nonce antics and the current crises on various fronts. Not that it didn’t exist before, but whataboutism isn’t really much help here. Booing the national anthem should be praised, as what arguments are there in favour of the monarchy and all it represents?

Awakered88

I think anti-royal sentiment has grown considerably since then due to recent nonce antics and the current crises on various fronts. Not that it didn’t exist before, but whataboutism isn’t really much help here. Booing the national anthem should be praised, as what arguments are there in favour of the monarchy and all it represents?
There are no arguments in favour for the monarchy as its massively corrupted just google the Vatican serpent throne room and see what the royals/whatever the hell they are attend its shocking

arthurka

The Smiths were from Manchester and they rode a wave of dislike towards the Queen. This has been a thing for a long time.

Liverpool fans get my full support on this, how anyone in 2022 still supports this shit is beyond my comprehension.

Ludens the Red

It’s not whataboutism, I just find it utterly bizarre to start championing Liverpool fans as some sort of beacon of what’s right. They act in self interest and have done so in the past. Hence why they were happy to boo a black player because he had the audacity to report one of their players for being racist. The idea that Liverpool booing the anthem was this great stand for the north of England and classism is fecking hilarious. As noted previously considering at least a quarter of those at Wembley were probably southern and had just forked out £150 for a football ticket. Do me favour.
And I think people are attaching too much importance to the lyrics of the anthem. The national anthem doesn’t belong to the royal family, it’s just some lyrics, there’s plenty of other anthems with absolutely trash lyrics but who cares. It’s what an anthem in itself represents and that’s the entire country. I won’t be following their lead and booing the anthem because it doesn’t actually make much sense.

@arthurka
Aye cos if you don’t booo the anthem and support Liverpool fans it means you love the royal family and support Prince Andrew…there is of course nowhere in the middle.

Fanta Stick

I just don't think the subject of booing a national anthem is worthy of discussion at all. It's common knowledge Liverpool fans aren't fond of England and what England represents (and I must add for more than legitimate reasons), the same way it's common knowledge that England fans who follow England religiously aren't the brightest set of proverbial LED bulbs. Let them have a bit of fun.

The only time booing is not on, for me at least, is when fans boo players kneeling for racism or during a minute's silence. The rest is fair game.
I would definitely boo that.

Down with this sort of thing.

Frank Rizzo

Supports
Yankees
It’s not whataboutism, I just find it utterly bizarre to start championing Liverpool fans as some sort of beacon of what’s right. They act in self interest and have done so in the past. Hence why they were happy to boo a black player because he had the audacity to report one of their players for being racist. The idea that Liverpool booing the anthem was this great stand for the north of England and classism is fecking hilarious. As noted previously considering at least a quarter of those at Wembley were probably southern and had just forked out £150 for a football ticket. Do me favour.
And I think people are attaching too much importance to the lyrics of the anthem. The national anthem doesn’t belong to the royal family, it’s just some lyrics, there’s plenty of other anthems with absolutely trash lyrics but who cares. It’s what an anthem in itself represents and that’s the entire country. I won’t be following their lead and booing the anthem because it doesn’t actually make much sense.

@arthurka
Aye cos if you don’t booo the anthem and support Liverpool fans it means you love the royal family and support Prince Andrew…there is of course nowhere in the middle.
I find your faux 'outrage' disingenuous, it takes about 5 seconds to answer the OP's original question -

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-fans-anthem-boris-johnson-b2080656.html

Quote: "The booing is a cry for justice, for equality, a howl against hunger and poverty. It is depressing that so many in Britain cannot hear that."

Lecland07

People are overcomplicating it:

Liverpool fans boo everything not Liverpool

Liverpool fans cheer everything Liverpool (even fricking throw ins)

That is the mind of a scouser.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
As an American I find the British national anthem really weird.

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen!

Ludens the Red

I find your faux 'outrage' disingenuous, it takes about 5 seconds to answer the OP's original question -

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-fans-anthem-boris-johnson-b2080656.html

Quote: "The booing is a cry for justice, for equality, a howl against hunger and poverty. It is depressing that so many in Britain cannot hear that."
Who said I was outraged? What exactly am I meant to be outraged about? :lol: I don’t care if Liverpool fans boo the anthem.

“Takes 5 seconds to answer”… except in this thread you’ve seen people give a multitude of reasons for it and you’ve then had people try and take some sort of moral high ground against those who don’t buy into the idea that Liverpool booing the anthem is this rallying cry for justice and equality. Like I said numerous times this is the same fanbase who when it suited them booed a black player for reporting one of their own for racially abusing him, there’s your equality.
And I’m not sure who made Tony Evans the spokesperson for all Liverpool’s match going fanbase.

Most people are against poverty and want justice and equality. The idea that Liverpool fans booing an anthem (that’s royalty referencing lyrics were composed in the 17th century) is something to be admired and followed, because it is fighting against injustice makes me laugh.

Classical Mechanic

Who said I was outraged? What exactly am I meant to be outraged about? :lol: I don’t care if Liverpool fans boo the anthem.

“Takes 5 seconds to answer”… except in this thread you’ve seen people give a multitude of reasons for it and you’ve then had people try and take some sort of moral high ground against those who don’t buy into the idea that Liverpool booing the anthem is this rallying cry for justice and equality. Like I said numerous times this is the same fanbase who when it suited them booed a black player for reporting one of their own for racially abusing him, there’s your equality.
And I’m not sure who made Tony Evans the spokesperson for all Liverpool’s match going fanbase.

Most people are against poverty and want justice and equality. The idea that Liverpool fans booing an anthem (that’s royalty referencing lyrics were composed in the 17th century) is something to be admired and followed, because it is fighting against injustice makes me laugh.
Agree. There are some coming out with grand political narrative but in 2018 The Liverpool Echo were publishing articles like this

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ews/liverpool-fans-love-england-team-14872421

Then this happened

https://talksport.com/football/556299/virgil-van-dijk-liverpool-star-booed-england-portugal-fans/

After that Liverpool fans started booing the anthem with great enthusiasm. Of course there is some credibility in the political narratives and the history of Liverpool but you'll go a long way to convincing me that this isn't just largely rooted in petty football tribalism for a great number of Liverpool fans.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

Agree. There are some coming out with grand political narrative but in 2018 The Liverpool Echo were publishing articles like this

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ews/liverpool-fans-love-england-team-14872421

Then this happened

https://talksport.com/football/556299/virgil-van-dijk-liverpool-star-booed-england-portugal-fans/

After that Liverpool fans started booing the anthem with great enthusiasm. Of course there is some credibility in the political narratives and the history of Liverpool but you'll go a long way to convincing me that this isn't just largely rooted in petty football tribalism for a great number of Liverpool fans.
Here here…

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

It's a total dirge. Always makes me laugh when predominantly working class folk sing about some leech whose lived a life of luxury because their ancestors won a battle in a field centuries ago.

The whole concept of royal families and them being 'better' than us plebs is so incredibly outdated.

Strootman's Finger

All national anthems should be banned as far as I’m concerned. Nationalism seems almost like 'Stockholm syndrome' for cowards afraid to step up to their masters.

The only time I find it acceptable to listen to the US anthem is when it’s played by Jimi Hendrix, high on LSD, blasting his Strat through a Marshall amp.

(*Netherlands anthem has a line - “I am from German blood”)
The anthem is a first person story of Prince William of Orange, and he does say that, but at the time of the story Germany didn't exist they way it does now, he is saying he is germanic, ie, from the area.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
There used to be Union Jacks at Anfield. Not after Thatcher..

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's a combination of factors, but a major one is - obviously - Hillsborough and the the way the government (Thatcher) dealt with that.

Irwin99

It's truly god awful isn't it? Says nothing about the people or the land itself, no great idea or ideal behind it; it's about god, a very wealthy person and general sycophancy :boring:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Is this the only national anthem that needs a change, depending on whether the monarch is a Queen or King?
there are probably more but I personally wouldn't sing a national anthem that praises a random person. Replace queen with land and it's instantly better :D

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

Last time I meant a Scouser I couldn't understand a word they said. We basically had to talk slow and use Google translate to communicate. Wonky English dialect.

Kag

Imagine getting worked up about this. The anthem is shite and the family is full of reprobates.

I’m sure the Queen is pleasant enough. She’s 96 and about to croak it, so it’s difficult to feel any real animosity towards her.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's truly god awful isn't it? Says nothing about the people or the land itself, no great idea or ideal behind it; it's about god, a very wealthy person and general sycophancy :boring:
It's dreadful alright. It's also used as a general "hail to the monarch" type of anthem in other countries. A generic tribute to the monarchy much more than a truly national anthem.