Why did Liverpool fans boo the national anthem?

Zlatattack

Apparently liverpool fans booed the national anthem at the FA cup final.

Does anyone know the back story to this? Is liverpool anti Royal?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Cause they think they're better than everyone else and always have.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Cause they have a healthy disdain for it.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Did they boo the anthem as well?

They are against the establishment which doesn't care for any of us ordinary folks. Got no problem with Liverpool fans showing their feelings.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Oh yeah show your solidarity but when the Scousers take over this country we'll all be speaking scouse and singing you'll never walk alone. Being a United fan will be punishable by death.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Oh yeah show your solidarity but when the Scousers take over this country we'll all be speaking scouse and singing you'll never walk alone. Being a United fan will be punishable by death.
Are we sure that isn't an improvement?

Jazz

:lol:

I'm anti-establishment but draw the line at singing 'You'll never walk alone"!

Jazz

Everyone should boo the Royal family.
William is a Tory guy. Seems to have a revolving door of Tory staff. Whatever happened to royals being politically neutral?

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
William is a Tory guy. Seems to have a revolving door of Tory staff. Whatever happened to royals being politically neutral?
Don't think that ever existed. Perhaps ostensibly, but behind closed doors? nah

Jazz

Don't think that ever existed. Perhaps ostensibly, but behind closed doors? nah
Yeah I agree. Just seems more blatant with him. Anyway, I think more is being made of this than it should be.

I saw someone posted something somewhere on some politicians wanting an investigation into the fans who booed. Like that is what should be talked about. Their reaction is crazy. Should we now be arrested for booing? :confused:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The Royal family as an institution is neutral but its members aren't.

Jazz

The Royal family as an institution is neutral but its members aren't.
True. However, we are constantly reminded by the royal friendly reporters that the royals themselves are neutral. Hence my sarcastic comment :)

CallyRed

Scouseland have been campaigning for independence since 1389.
King Kenny will be installed as head of state.

Jazz

Imagine booing your own national anthem :confused:
It's a little more complicated. Our anthem is focused on the Queen. Someone who inherited her position and doesn't speak up or out on behalf of her people. Have nothing against her, just puzzled why a whole national anthem should be about one individual...

I personally wouldn't boo the anthem, but I won't condemn anyone who boos this anthem which is in essence glorifying a privileged individual.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I agree. Just seems more blatant with him. Anyway, I think more is being made of this than it should be.

I saw someone posted something somewhere on some politicians wanting an investigation into the fans who booed. Like that is what should be talked about. Their reaction is crazy. Should we now be arrested for booing? :confused:
I think a better investigation would be into why some Liverpool fans feel strongly enough to boo the anthem, and what could be done to perhaps rectify those grievances. But I suppose it is easier for them to conclude that such disdain comes from false foundations

Jazz

I think a better investigation would be into why some Liverpool fans feel strongly enough to boo the anthem, and what could be done to perhaps rectify those grievances. But I suppose it is easier for them to conclude that such disdain comes from false foundations
Agree with you 100% but we both know that won't happen. The 'establishment' don't care to know.

cyberman

Because United had a club over country movement and Liverpool tucked in behind us.

Chripper

Imagine booing your own national anthem :confused:
If "Flower of Scotland" was played before the Scottish cup final, Celtic and Rangers fans would boo it.*

*Not the ones who support Scotland. Just the ones who think they're English/Republic of Irish/Northern Irish.

Dante

Average bang
I guess this puts paid to all the hand wringing over England fans booing anthems at the Euros. They're just songs that are tributes to nationalism.

Drizzle

Best thing the little rats have done.

And yes, United were there first. It took off in the 90s. A lot of anti-England sentiment (and chants) from local fans.

With all due respect to non-local fans, it's hard to understand how screwed over northern cities have been by the London establishment. And that disaffection comes out in different ways at different times.

As a counterpoint it's not even about patriotism. It's specifically anti-establishment and anti-royalist. Different things, and I will defend anyone's right to boo their anthem. Even the dippers.