Why did we buy Fred?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
All 3 had good games under him, Lindelof started to come to his own even before Ole. Granted he's been better and better. Pogba has been good also until their relationship fell apart and Matić was one of the best players last season imo.
Sure, Ole has had them more motivated and playing with more sparkle so to say but let's not pretend all of his signings were a disaster. Bailly for instance had problems with injuries but may prove to be a good signing in the long run.
I hope that they had good games under him, that would be tragic if they didn't. But from Mourinho's perspective they are failure because they didn't fit what he wanted to do and he wasn't able to adapt to what they were consistently good at, it's not that difficult. And I ddin't say that these transfers were dramatic, they are failures for Mourinho because they didn't fit what he wanted which is why Pogba was pushed out of the club and Lindelof not trusted to start.

Yakuza_devils

We never had any success with Brazilian players and Fred looks ill suited to premier league and is very limited in the few games he played for us. Not even sure what is his position in mid. Defensive mid, attacking mid or box to box?

Still hoping for miracle that Ole can improve him.

ArjenIsM3

We never had any success with Brazilian players and Fred looks ill suited to premier league and is very limited in the few games he played for us. Not even sure what is his position in mid. Defensive mid, attacking mid or box to box?

Box to box I think, but we haven't really seen that much of him yet. I wouldn't be against playing him against Fulham tbh.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I hope that they had good games under him, that would be tragic if they didn't. But from Mourinho's perspective they are failure because they didn't fit what he wanted to do and he wasn't able to adapt to what they were consistently good at, it's not that difficult. And I ddin't say that these transfers were dramatic, they are failures for Mourinho because they didn't fit what he wanted which is why Pogba was pushed out of the club and Lindelof not trusted to start.
Agreed.

Though I would say Matic was a success under Mourinho, at least last season. He basically did exactly what he was bought for.

Other than that though, he never got anywhere close to the best out of his other signings. A complete failure, really.

Yakuza_devils

Box to box I think, but we haven't really seen that much of him yet. I wouldn't be against playing him against Fulham tbh.
Box to box midfielder need to be stamina powerhouse but he always looks knackered after 60 mins. His defensive side of play is not convincing either losing balls in dangerous position. Attacking wise he didn't created much.

Hopefully, given time to get used to the league he can improve massively.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Agreed.

Though I would say Matic was a success under Mourinho, at least last season. He basically did exactly what he was bought for.

Other than that though, he never got anywhere close to the best out of his other signings. A complete failure, really.
That's fair, he can have Matic and in the future he might get Dalot too.

haram

Of course they all wanted Alexis (club + Jose), do you seriously think Jose was forced to play him ? He even benched the inform Martial for Sanchez because he weirdly wanted that much. Of course he could have blocked the transfer if he wanted because the club still had him in high regard and actively pursuited Jose for that renewal.
I never said he was forced to play him. The board said they could get Alexis and Jose agreed to it. Wasn’t a Jose target.

In order to get Perisic that summer Inter were demanding some 50m transfer fee wasn't it? I'm not sure we would have been any better financially wise when we look at it that way. I doubt he would have been any more useful on the pitch as well, since he prefers to play at LW where our best winger plays as well.
Now we have to pay Sanchez for the duration of his contract instead. Of course he would have been more useful on the pitch. Martial is not going to play every game and is still inconsistent.

Hughie77

Jose bought him. We all thought he was going to be a asset . Can see us offloading in summer.

wolvored

Based on really nothing. I doubt we're so small time as a club.
Sanchez and Fred were both being looked at by Pep. Mourinho thought he had got two over him. Guess who is laughing now?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I never said he was forced to play him. The board said they could get Alexis and Jose agreed to it. Wasn’t a Jose target.
That's basically my point. Sanchez wasn't needed, he was already washed up at Arsenal and clearly on the decline. Somehow because City wanted him, he felt like a good player to get

haram

That's basically my point. Sanchez wasn't needed, he was already washed up at Arsenal and clearly on the decline. Somehow because City wanted him, he felt like a good player to get
It wasn't a Jose target. He just agreed to it because that's who the club was accepting to sign. People are saying Jose signed him just because City wanted him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looks an absolutely ridiculous signing at the moment. Would just about be acceptable if it'd been some 15m gamble, but 50m is insanity.

However, Lindelöf looked an absolute joker for a lot of his time here, and now suddenly people say he's the one definite, so who knows!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It wasn't a Jose target. He just agreed to it because that's who the club was accepting to sign. People are saying Jose signed him just because City wanted him.
I don't know about people but my point was that United as a whole was obsessed with the players City were targeting. That includes the board and/or Mourinho

lex talionis

He's on the squad now so let's give him a few more chances before writing him off altogether. Skepticism that he'll succeed is warranted there's not a lot to lose in giving him a few more chances. It's not as though we're on the cusp of winning the PL this season, is it?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The amount of nonsense in this thread. I can't tell if y'all are trolling...

Melville Red

Sanchez and Fred were both being looked at by Pep. Mourinho thought he had got two over him. Guess who is laughing now?
You should look at your poo too occasionally just to check everything is as it should be.
I did and saw some blood, saved my life according to the doc.

So by all means look at poo, just don’t touch it.

Chairman Steve

This could well be this season's Lindelof. Everyone deserves at least a second season to prove themselves.

It may be worth noting Fred has played as a right winger before and we all know how weak our right side is...

ravi2

Hopefully City will be interested in a better player next time.
You might be onto something there, we beat them to both Sanchez and Fred and neither seem to be working out so far.

Tony247

He snatched those transfers?
Come on now..
I told you to google what I mentioned instead of trolling.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/23/tottenham-chelsea-willian
From the article
In the wake of Willian's U-turn, the complaints from White Hart Lane were loud and sustained. Daniel Levy, the chairman, was, according to sources, incandescent and there is the firm belief at Tottenham that Chelsea did not truly want Willian. Instead Tottenham feel that they have moved for him purely to prevent Villas-Boas from constructing a squad to challenge them in the Premier League this season
I am not saying jose signed Fred for exactly the same reason but there is precedence to have a doubt about intention.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Was it Jose or was it the board? Jose wanted to sign Perisic, the board said no but decided it would sanction the wages of Sanchez.
But somehow Perisic said he rejected ManUtd?

According to the man himself, Spalletti helped persuade him to stay at the San Siro.

“Spalletti told us that every player is important and we got proof of that in the win, as even those who haven’t had as much space made their mark,” he told Mediaset Premium after scoring a hat-trick in a victory over Chievo.

“Spalletti was extremely important in convincing me to stay.”
It wasn't the board, they can do nothing if player is not interested in signing.

haram

But somehow Perisic said he rejected ManUtd?

It wasn't the board, they can do nothing if player is not interested in signing.

You really think he turned down United and then just this summer he hands in a transfer request to join ARSENAL. Come on.

If we were snubbed by Perisic the press would have rubbed our noses in it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You really think he turned down United and then just this summer he hands in a transfer request to join ARSENAL. Come on.

If we were snubbed by Perisic the press would have rubbed our noses in it.
He snubbed us in 2017-18 season, he handed the transfer request in 2019 Jan. That's 1.5 years between 2 sets of actions.

Obviously we have to ignore what players said, what Inter directors said but have to go by theories made up by fans.

Btw one big change is finally Inter have someone who can make hard decisions.

Perisic? There is no use in whining. Perisic will not go anywhere unless an offer of 35-40 million is definitive and in the Inter accounts. I say this at the cost of keeping him here and being unhappy. From him I expect maximum professionalism for his own good and for Inter."

"This is a delicate moment but Inter have drawn a line and we intend to keep this hard line. There will be no need to recuperate or convince him to stay by offering a raise on is contract. Suning do not intend to be influenced by these methods. The only thing that counts is what he or any player shows on the pitch, otherwise 35-40 million offer brought to us will change our strategy.

Ban

youmeletsfly

He played defensive mid under Lucescu at Shaktar if I'm not mistaken. Then the new coach came in and moved him to a more box to box position because his forward passing and dribbling was okay.

Being Romanian I used to watch Shaktar's game and he looked alright at DM. Thing is that he looked much more aggressive and much more sure of himself, but that;s normal in the Ukrainean league.

I think he said in an interview that he didn't really liked being deployed by Lucescu at DM.

He's a neat player, but he needs to learn English. I noticed a few times that, during matches, people used to scream at him and he didn't understand shite form what they were saying.

Shark

@NotShark
I've very little hope that this guy will turn it around, any time he's played I've seen a player that lacks any sort of talent and awareness of his surroundings. Not sure what our scouts are doing half of the time, more money down the drain.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

Based on his performances so far Fred it seems doesn't yet realise he has stepped up a level coming to United, he looks surprised when he's tightly marked and very surprised when put under sustained pressure. If Fred can realise his predicament and make the step up in his consciousness, then next season we might just have a useful player!

Tony247

Tottenham feel, Tottenham think.

And you know when a club is just interested and the other buys him that isn't a snatching?
And you are again trolling. Did you google? Anyway, this is my last reply to you.

Willian had medical at Tottenham. He was about to sign and Chelsea (with jose as manager) snatched him.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
A foreigner needs 1 season before we should be making judgements. Next season he needs to prove his worth
If new to the PL, maybe (and that seems too long regardless imo) but after his time at Arsenal, I'd expect a much quicker showing of his worth.

On basis we can't sell him, worth trying to give him game time to allow us to make more informed keep/get rid decision next season

Skills

Snitch
Needs some proper game time.

I'd play Herrera, Pogba and him against Fulham. Rest Matic so he's fresh for psg.