Why did we buy Fred?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Josep Dowling, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Feb 11, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

So why didn't Fred even make the bench at the weekend? Do we know yet? If it's not injury or personal issues it does not look good at all for him.
  2. Feb 11, 2019

Wheato Full Member

We bought him because Pep wanted him as back-up for Fernandinho, but Fred wanted to come to us. So we had the first option. I suppose Jose thought he would be a decent back-up or partner for Matic. We have since learned that Herrera was the man all along. Fred will get his chance, but we can chalk this one off as first season syndrome. He will improve and have an impact next season.
  3. Feb 11, 2019

haram Full Member

Based on the fact that we had to go the extra mile with his wages, but we didn’t do so for Perisic? How was every other Jose signing shite? Clearly that’s false.
  4. Feb 11, 2019

Litch Full Member

Unless you are Ole in disguise, not sure you know anymore that what I do. I can only go off what he said unlike you who is going off what he didnt. Its funny how some players are dropped but others are rested. Not saying Fred is the answer but what we seen from Lindeloff, circumstances can change.
  5. Feb 12, 2019

staniswin New Member

How's Fred rested ? :lol:. Mourinho gave Lindelof chances , Ole didn't even bother with Fred. He is really baby faced assassin. On public he always said things people want to hear but behind , he actually didn't mind winning ugly , didn't mind shutting the door to defend lead and didn't mind dropping players when they failed to perform. It's funny how you can be so naive to not see the reality. I am 100% ole in because he did what i would too if i was a manager. Praising your fave players on public when i don't even rate them. We are going to face psg , Chelsea , Liverpool and crystal palace this February , all harder than Fulham , no chance for Fred to start except we get an injury or suspension.
  6. Feb 12, 2019

cyril C Full Member

Definitely not for Matic. May be for Herrera but he needs to adapt his game. He makes too many touches.
  7. Feb 13, 2019

Tony247 Full Member

This thread, very existence of this thread is vindication of bizarre transfers the club has done in past few years.
  8. Feb 13, 2019

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

I'm sorry but it's glaringly obvious by now that Ole doesn't rate Fred. The fact he has used both Pereira and McTominay (who are both not good enough) over Fred speaks volumes.
  9. Feb 13, 2019

minoo-utd Full Member

Doubt he will make it here. Awful transfer decision yet again.
  10. Feb 13, 2019

Adebesi Full Member

Fred hattrick in Paris to take us through the tie?
  11. Feb 13, 2019

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    Another 'let's gazump City' transfer blows up in our faces. I swear that City generate fake interest in players just so Woodward will immediately go and buy them while Guardiola does his best Muttley impression.
  12. Feb 13, 2019

Red-Man-Walking Fully Erect

Shades of SAF and Charlie Adam.
  13. Feb 18, 2019

Alex Styles Full Member

Bump
  14. Feb 18, 2019

CA_vampire New Member

Is Fred really worse than Perreira and McTominay? Is this possible?
  15. Feb 18, 2019

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert Scout

Isn't it time to ask: Where is Fred, rather than why we bought him?
  16. Feb 18, 2019

Ryan Bobson New Member

He's too sexy for his shirt
  17. Feb 18, 2019

Bwuk Full Member

Think it’ll be a quiet exit in the summer and we’ll of forgotten all about him.

Sort of gets forgotten how much of a waste of £ he’s been due to the drama surrounding the club this year.
  18. Feb 18, 2019

el3mel Full Member

I actually loved seeing Scott coming in the dying minutes ahead of him.

He has no future here. He should tell his agent to start searching for offers for him.
  19. Feb 18, 2019

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

Fred is a Brazil International. McTominay doesn't even stand out in the u23's. What an odd post.
  20. Feb 18, 2019

el3mel Full Member

The odd post is yours considering it has feck all with what I said.

I laughed more at this than at the Scott sub. :lol:
  21. Feb 18, 2019

iluvoursolskjær Full Member

Who cares anymore.
  22. Feb 18, 2019

Minimalist New Member

Because he was on a piece of paper given by Mourinho to Woodward. But probably 3rd on the list by the looks of it.
  23. Feb 18, 2019

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

He actually wrote Fred West on the paper for a laugh
  24. Feb 18, 2019

Sanchez7 New Member

Think he will play a part in for our next easy fixture which at this point looks like Southampton at home.
  25. Feb 18, 2019

NJM78 Full Member

52m quid. We can’t blame Jose for everything, what did our scouts see in him!?
  26. Feb 18, 2019

Ban Full Member

Poor guy.
    Ole likes him even less than Jose.
  27. Feb 18, 2019

starman Full Member

It's hard to see him get a game. Should have just loaned him out to put him in the shop window and took back Fosu-Mensah
  28. Feb 18, 2019

Champagne Football Full Member

Often in the past Herrera has been as insignificant as Fred is now so there's still hope for him. The worry is that although maybe a solid player, he may not be an upgrade on what we already have despite his high price.

Jose's obsession with spending was probably the major reason he came even though not a priority signing but at least Fred being here has turned Herrera from Mr. Inconsistent into Mr. Dependable with the increased competition for places.
  29. Feb 18, 2019

Isotope Full Member

Supports:
    Ole Ole Ole
    I like Pereira as young player, but even then, Fred couldn't be worse than him at the moment.

I saw this when Ole used Dalot and Tom as subs against Spurs, when Fred was also on the bench. Some made excuse this and that, but it didn't make sense then, it doesn't make sense this time also.
  30. Feb 18, 2019

Isotope Full Member

Supports:
    Ole Ole Ole
    Yeh. That happened when changed the manager.
  31. Feb 18, 2019

Devil may care Full Member

I never wanted us to buy him but I'm surprised just how far down the pecking order he is, I was sure he'd get a game against Fulham last week and now I can't see where he's going to get a game, Crystal Palace and Southampton are no pushovers and even if Ole rested one of the main 3 CM's I fancy it would be McTominay or Andreas that came in.
  32. Feb 18, 2019

Raw Full Member

Our 4th highest all time transfer yet struggles to even get subbed on. Honestly if there is any value left in him I'd get rid and try and recoup that loss. Bring in midfielders we can depend on.
  33. Feb 18, 2019

bucky Full Member

Good question, him being preferred over Allan and Fabinho for Brazil made me hopeful that our scouts and Mourinho weren't the only ones who rated him. Still holding out hope for him.
  34. Feb 18, 2019

Red00012 Full Member

Is he trying to get Pereira to sign and tell him he’s a future here ?
    Strange how he started the last game as a holding midfielder and comes on for mata this time around .
  35. Feb 18, 2019

Loon Full Member

He's so far down the order I'd expect Ashley Grimes to get a run-out ahead of him...
  36. Feb 18, 2019

Kostov Full Member

It speaks volumes that going into a week like this one, we leave him on the bench while Matic plays on a yellow since before the hour mark and then those subs. Ridiculous transfer this is turning out to be.
  37. Feb 18, 2019

atomic keane Full Member

Starting to remind me of Kleberson
  38. Feb 18, 2019

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I don’t really get why he’s seeing zero minutes. When he’s played he hasn’t been THAT bad, just sloppy.

I hope that we’re just giving him time to settle in and feel more at home before putting him under the spotlight. a bit like what klopp did with Fabinho.

the other issue is Herrera is just too important to us, and I don’t think they trust Fred to do matics job.
  39. Feb 18, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

Maybe the journalists in the press conference can ask ole what's going on. It's truly baffling he can't get any minutes at all. The way we used him off the bench if we remember oles first game -it freed up pogba and we pushed Lingard to the false 9 who then combined for the last goal.
    It's nonsense to believe fred couldn't play for us against the likes of Fulham . Perhaps he's carrying an injury?
  40. Feb 19, 2019

OverratedOpinion Full Member

I think he has not done himself any favours in being so sloppy with his passing when he has gotten a chance. If he had of just kept things simple and pressed well he would have been in a better position and could have started being a little more expansive once he settled a little bit and had some sharpness. I think Ole has justified concerns that he may give the ball away in a dangerous position, that is a big problem when you are in a close fight for top 4 (which obtaining could change Ole's entire career).

I think he will play against PSG in Pogba's absence because we need goals and it feels like a no lose situation. If he plays well there then we might see a bit more rotation in the league. I literally never watched him at Shaktar but I hold out hope despite being hugely unimpressed as knowledgeable people did seem to absolutely rave about him.