Why did we buy Fred?

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
The people that scouted, recommended and ultimately sanctioned this transfer need to be sacked. But then again the people doing the sacking need to get fecked as well, so..

RedCurry

The brazilian djemba djemba? The brazilian Veron? Or just Fred. He might play better closer to the 16 box but that wont happen any time soon.
No he won’t play any better regardless of where he plays. He’s the worst player in our squad which includes likes of Jones and Rojo. We should’ve sold him in the past summer when we could still recoup some money and bought a couple of decent midfielders. Now we’re stuck with a shambles of a player who can’t do basics such as trapping, passing or shielding the ball.

Utterly, utterly useless.

If a club was stupid enough to pay £20 million for him I'd snap their hand off.

Anderson's ten times the player he was, and the fatty was usually done after 60 minutes. He's on par with Kleberson for me, as the worst Brazilian midfielder United bought.
Wouldn’t even get £10m for him.

I bet we loan him out continuously until his contract runs down.

No one is buying him.

MikeeMike

from BBC - “Fred is giving everyone else who plays football and is called Fred, a bad name.”

As useful as tits on a bull.
I suppose we just have to laugh at him and the whole situation. It’s a bit like David Moyes, poor, never good enough - but can’t blame him for coming as he must have thought he had won the lottery.

Should never play for the club again. There isn't a single thing he’s good at. Schooled by a lad on his debut. I’d take the 2019 version of Cleverly over him right now. There is no hope for him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Whoever recommended this guy need to be sacked. Scout can take a punt but £50m is a lot of money for just a punt.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sold the very useful Fellaini and yet kept this joker. Thanks Ole.

How did City also rate this guy?

Coops73

Sold the very useful Fellaini and yet kept this joker. Thanks Ole.

How did City also rate this guy?
I’m starting to think that they just pretended to be interested in him knowing that us dickheads would go for him like we did with Alexis, they’re probably laughing their tits off right now.

Resch

Fred has never settled at United. He was used to play in a dominant team, but United is just everything else. But what do people expect? All the team has no ideas how to pass forward, how to attack.

Ballist1x

Fred has never settled at United. He was used to play in a dominant team, but United is just everything else. But what do people expect? All the team has no ideas how to pass forward, how to attack.
He looked out of his depth against Rochdale. And AZ.

Then some teenager making his EPL debut shows him up in the next game. Not exactly a great start to a season.

Mark Pawelek

I’m starting to think that they just pretended to be interested in him knowing that us dickheads would go for him like we did with Alexis, they’re probably laughing their tits off right now.
The argument that you sign a player because your rivals are interested in him is idiotic. I'm tired of hearing it. If it's true of Fred and Sanchez, then United should get relegated for incompetence.

Judas

Open to offers
He can't make a simple 5 yard pass under no pressure. There's no excuses.

Smores

He needs a loan.

Let's not pretend like there wasn't a lot of people on here excited about him though. Either we got done buying a player going through a purple patch or it's a mentality thing holding him back.

Bwuk

He needs a loan.

Let's not pretend like there wasn't a lot of people on here excited about him though. Either we got done buying a player going through a purple patch or it's a mentality thing holding him back.
Majority of them had never seen him played and like to pretend they are some sort of footballing expert.

Fred is absolutely sh*te. Biggest waste of money the clubs spent. He’ll cost more than Sanchez did.

pascell

I'm sorry but Fred is one of the main culprits in not passing forward, in every game he's played this season there have been numerous times to pass it forward to whoever had found the pockets of space, he failed to do so. In not passing the ball forwards through the centre, instead passing it out wide, makes our attacks one dimensional and what we're getting is the result of that one dimensional attack.

Renegade

He needs a loan.

Mental to loan a £50m player in his prime years

Devil81

He's bad no doubt about it, but then so are so many others.

I feel he's becoming a bit of a scapegoat for peoples frustrations, the only reason he started ahead of Matic was because he offers more mobility.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'm sorry but Fred is one of the main culprits in not passing forward, in every game he's played this season there have been numerous times to pass it forward to whoever had found the pockets of space, he failed to do so. In not passing the ball forwards through the centre, instead passing it out wide, makes our attacks one dimensional and what we're getting is the result of that one dimensional attack.
Yes.
I still think that there is a reasonable player there but never going to be worth 50m.
He has zero confidence and like all the rest is not enjoying playing football. As a result it is mechanical and low risk in case he makes yet another mistake.
In summary - nothing like good enough.

Champagne Football

I thought Mata and Andreas were worse than Fred yesterday. At least Fred looked for a pass, even though Fred was very poor and just passed it back sideways right away, afraid of his life.

PaulRich

Seems like another cock flopping exercise by Ed just to get another one over on City. Absolute waste of a shirt.

GBBQ

Mental to loan a £50m player in his prime years
For sure, but at the same time its unlikely he will play himself back into any semblance of form in a team that is falling apart around him. He's most likely not up to it but he also looks shell shocked and in need of a few 7/10 games to get back playing to his own personal best (whatever that level is)

AdNani

One of the most cowardly midfield performances I’ve ever seen from a united player, consistently ignored forward passing options to play a simple sideways/backward pass.

50 fecking million :houllier:

Mark Pawelek

We bought him in his mid-20s from a tier 2 league. I think one should only buy players in their teens or early 20s from tier 2 leagues. Payed £52m million for a non-core player coming from a tier 2 league! In contrast, James cost £18m. £3m more than we expected to pay. I think we over-paid about 4 times. £13m was closer to his value in summer of 2018.

Note - supporting my claim that Fred wasn't even a core player at Shahktar.

Ukrainian premiership has 12 clubs. It's run as two double round robins. The first with all 12 teams in the first half of the season. In the second half, the 12 split into 2 mini-leagues of 6 each. Since 2015, I make that 32 games over a season. A player can get up to 2880 minutes of game time in a season.

Fred's playing record at Shahktar was:
------ Matches -- Minutes -- Num of clubs
2017/18 -- 17 ---- 1451 ---- 12
2016/17 -- 18 ---- 1581 ---- 12
2015/16 -- 12 ---- 1012 ---- 12
2014/15 -- 22 ---- 1361 ---- 14
2013/14 -- 23 ---- 1323 ---- 14

3 seasons out of 5 he never played half the time he could. The other 2 seasons he managed about half the maximum minutes.

Last edited:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Is he the worst signing in Premier League history?

He's certainly in the conversation.

BaneIsPain

He is not even funny or show glimpse of potential like Anderson. Another poor poor transfer.Get rid

el3mel

Starting to think it is a Woodward flop. Jose didn't even play him. So not sure he actually wanted him.
We just signed him because City were interested in him. That's about it. Woodward is too busy trying to get one over City in transfer market while they are winning league and cups and not giving a shite about this. Never mind that City themselves backed off from this deal because they thought it's too expensive.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We just signed him because City were interested in him. That's about it. Woodward is too busy trying to get one over City in transfer market while they are winning league and cups and not giving a shite about this. Never mind that City themselves backed off from this deal because they thought it's too expensive.

Exactly. Woodward is a showoff. Simple as that.