Why did we buy Fred?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Only on for about ten minutes but he played two forward balls. I get the impression that both he and Andreas are not trusted by ole. With Herrera you know he will retain the ball and win a lot of 50/50s.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good cameo today. Just keep it up Fred lad.

Canagel

I hope his contribution didn't go unnoticed. Aside from the passing which would've opened them sooner he also allowed for Pogba to push up again to his usual number 10 which then came a run for Rashford to get the late penalty.

Revan

Assumptionman
I thought it was a very simple pass he made. It is an assist though, so cannot complain, but I still think that both Scott and Pereira should start ahead of him next match.

Canagel

I thought it was a very simple pass he made. It is an assist though, so cannot complain, but I still think that both Scott and Pereira should start ahead of him next match.
He shouldn't be competing with Periera at all. Fred can play double pivot whilst Periera can't. Periera is advanced mid/number 10 like Pogba is.

Last edited:

simplyared

I've critisized him before. Having said that I like his quick thinking forward pass. He seems to be able to pick out his target and deliver with direction and precision. Seen it on a few occasions and can be a good weapon for us. If he can tidy up the other parts of his game, then he can be useful too us. Think Ole could be nurturing him. Could be a gem in there!

SamVimes

I've critisized him before. Having said that I like his quick thinking forward pass. He seems to be able to pick out his target and deliver with direction and precision. Seen it on a few occasions and can be a good weapon for us. If he can tidy up the other parts of his game, then he can be useful too us. Think Ole could be nurturing him. Could be a gem in there!
It is the hope that kills you.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Should have started today and be allowed to play himself into form. He clearly picked up in the second half against Palace and should have been allowed to see whether he could pick up where he left off.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Why did we buy him: to play up like he did v PSG when it was really needed.
Fair fcuks to him for his performance tonight. Maybe a turning point?

meamth

He will get used to all this, being a United player, what it takes.

Fred will come good next season.

PieCrust

Fair play to him after that PSG match. Did well and I really liked how he protected Rashford from who ever that cnut was that was trying to play mind games right before the penalty.

Gasolin

We bought him for today, full stop. Love that Ole said we played him in a setup he was familiar to help him, and he delivered. This is real management!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
First thread I looked for this morning. Well done Fred. Totally stepped up last night when we needed it most.

There’s definitely a player there. Hopefully we can start getting performances like that in the league.

Cockney Phil

The mystery man suddenly appeared and ran around playing in Ander’s shadow doing a fairly good job. He never gave in, made a few mistakes but also made some openings. He and McT did very well bullying the midfield. Still not clear why we bought him in the grand scheme of things unless it was to replace Ander.

Zed 101

I am still not sure where he fits into the set up, but last couple of games both he an Dalot have shown some evidence that they have a future here, do not think Fred makes the 1st 11, not even sure what position he should be in.... Dalot on the other hand, keep starting him on the right shown a lot especally against Palace

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Great game last night, hope he can show more of that for us in the coming months.
Grew into it, had to show commitment and responsibility when he had kids around him. Hope he gains confidence from this.

There is a good player in there!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Like I said last month, you don't write players off after half a season.

Brilliant against PSG, overall probably our best player. Needs to get settled into the pace of the PL but he proved tonight the ability is there against a midfielder who would walk into any team in the PL.

KW2006

Is he a Kante-type player? If not which current/ex players do you think he is similar to?

Because I really have no idea, although I have watched all matches he played for us.

Mainoldo

Hopefully he can turn it round like Edu did at Arsenal. Fair play to Freddy last night.

StrettyEnder07

Superb last night, breakthrough game! Hopefully similar to Lindelof who took 6-12 months to get up to speed, nothing like writing him off after 6 months hey, more of the same please Fred!

Imagine we had listened to everyone moaning about McTominay getting a new deal and binning off Fred

the_irish123

He has had better games and gotten slated. I'm a United fan but also level headed, I didn't see one player performing that well yesterday. Weirdest game I've ever seen, we barely crossed the half way line but scored 3 times on 3 bizarre blunders. I will take it but feck, very weird game. Didn't even have a heroic effort feeling to it, players were trotting.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He has had better games and gotten slated. I'm a United fan but also level headed, I didn't see one player performing that well yesterday. Weirdest game I've ever seen, we barely crossed the half way line but scored 3 times on 3 bizarre blunders. I will take it but feck, very weird game. Didn't even have a heroic effort feeling to it, players were trotting.
Some people think you need to dominate possession to be good. We played against one of the four favorites to win the CL according to all bookmakers a few months ago, away from home. We won 1-3. xG had the game at 1,3 - 1,6 (excluding the penalty, so probably 1,3 - 2,3 including it). We did this with a midfield with very little experience playing together and after starting off with a right back that did not work at all (good job of Ole, taking him off).

settembrini

I maintain that a lot of his struggles this season have been caused by United using him in a more attacking role than he had at Shaktar. Last night we just gave him his old job back and he was good at it.

Tony247

Yesterday skill wise there were many sloppy errors from almost everyone. So I don't want to be a prick and single out fred here. This is time to enjoy and look forward. Fred has shown there is hope. Lets give the lad a break.

redpatron

Is he a Kante-type player? If not which current/ex players do you think he is similar to?

Because I really have no idea, although I have watched all matches he played for us.
he played like kante did for france, took the first station out for the passer and force them to make a much difficult pass to the second station or try to dribble out, which they couldn't. Draxler out helped a lot as well. his movement and the ground he covered in the last 30 minutes was just brilliant and allowed us to stay in the game.

Adebesi

I hope one day soon someone provides some explanation about what has been going on behind the scenes with Fred. I would love to better understand specifically what problems he has had adjusting to life in England. Usually the reason cited in these situations is "the pace of the PL". I know last night was a CL game but it was still a frenetic and intense game and Fred didnt seem to be having any problems keeping up with it, so I struggle to see how the intensity of Southampton or Palace would be problematic.

tonnas

What a game, hopefully this will spur him on !! No brainer, he should start next Sun