Why do Carrick and McKenna escape criticism?

OldSchoolManc

I am in no way defending Ole here, as pre match and in play decisions have been ropey at best.
But what exactly are Michael Carrick and Kieran McKenna doing when they are in training with the squad?
Shape, starting energy and understanding of game plan is down to the coaches. Isn’t it?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Carrick always stares intensely. At something. McKenna I have no idea. Good at cones? Or is that Phelan's job?

Enigma_87

You know who
You can switch their roles (Ole, Carrick, McKena) however you want and it will make feck all difference. Mediocrity and nepotism at its best.

Ollie Derbyshire

With how we play they must be absolutely useless at whatever their jobs are that’s for sure.

spiriticon

I think they are hopeless and it is beyond me how they have survived 2/3 managerial changes

We have the same impotency in attack and inconsistency in defence all throughout their tenure

macheda14

You can switch their roles (Ole, Carrick, McKena) however you want and it will make feck all difference. Mediocrity and nepotism at its best.
McKenna isn’t really nepotism seeing as he was a very highly regarded youth coach at Tottenham and then did exceptionally well with our u18s. He’s worked his way up to his position.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
They were picked by Ole right?
I never understood the idea of having second coaches which are hard to fire because they are somehow "connected" to the club.

AshRK

Carrick always look bewildered. He still can't believe he got this job it seems.

spiriticon

They were picked by Ole right?
I never understood the idea of having second coaches which are hard to fire because they are somehow "connected" to the club.
And Mourinho. And Mckenna even worked under LvG for a bit if I'm not wrong

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
When the camera panned to the bench for the 3rd time this evening, I finally realised what it was that looks odd about it.

They all look like they're waiting for the manager to show up.

acnumber9

Not sure how anyone can’t criticise them without knowing what they do anyway. But inevitably it will be Carrick getting blamed if either do. Because he had the cheek to play for United.

Heinzesight

I can see Micky Shorts getting you well up for a match...then you’d look over at these two gormless lads on the coaching staff and any fire you had in you would be snuffed out.

Loved Carrick as a player, I’ve heard McKenna is a great tactician and all that but them along with Ole don’t give me the impression they’d get you fired up for a match. Then you’ve got Maguire with the personality of a wet fart leading you out.

Bloody hell.

spiriticon

Then he must be doing something right. But why Carrick is there - I have no idea.
Is he? We haven't exactly been tearing the place up since he became coach

But regardless, every time a manager is changed, one expects new faces and new ideas. But these two are still here..

I dunno. Wierd.

littleman

Anyone remember the posters talking about the whispers of how McKenna was regarded as a GENIUS?

Certainly a genius coach to hire an astroturfing team to help spread the word

We have genius players, genius managers, and now the first genius coach in the world

Enigma_87

You know who
McKenna isn’t really nepotism seeing as he was a very highly regarded youth coach at Tottenham and then did exceptionally well with our u18s. He’s worked his way up to his position.
The meteoric jump to the position is crazy. Between them three there's zero experience in sitting on the bench at a top team - zero.

McKenna has one excellent seasons with the u18's, but does that warrant to become an assistant coach straight away? I mean is there literally zero better options out there that can propose fresh ideas and bring some different approach to this club?

Nick7

Why do people concern themselves with what our coaches/assistants are doing? It was the same with Phelan for some bizarre reason.

binary bot
We have no idea what their contribution is, so how can we?

Ultimately it ends up as meaningless over the top conjecture reacting to low points like tonight.

Skills

Snitch
I mean at which other club do the supporters obsess over assistants to deflect attention away from the head coach or manager?

spiriticon

There is so much conversation about how bad the coaching is.

It's not unsurprising to think about the capabilities of the wider coaching team, in addition to that of the manager (of which there is already a lot of debate).

Red00012

Phelan must think he’s won the lottery been assistant manager still 12 years after first been appointed (granted he’s left and come back ) due to lasting a maximum of 4 months with Hull and Norwich as Permanent manager .

Trequarista10

Is Phelan even still about? I can't remember noticing him for months. Am I just being thick?

Hoof the ball

I thought it was hilarious seeing Carrick on the managers' touchline. Carrick. The same Carrick who in every single camera pan can be seen sitting silent staring into the abyss whilst McKenna is talking away to Ole. He was just as gratifyingly mute on the sideline too!

OldSchoolManc

Why do people concern themselves with what our coaches/assistants are doing? It was the same with Phelan for some bizarre reason.
Because ultimately, the coaches coach the system and passing etc.
So how have they survived under at least 2 management regimes, yet the team still feels ‘uncoached’.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because none of us know how much input the coaching staff has, and ultimately its all down to the manager. Its his coaching staff. If they fail, he fails. If they're the good parts and make us good, he'll get the credit.

OldSchoolManc

Because none of us know how much input the coaching staff has, and ultimately its all down to the manager. Its his coaching staff. If they fail, he fails. If they're the good parts and make us good, he'll get the credit.
Because they're Ole's staff
I wouldn’t be so sure that it is Ole who makes the decisions on backroom staff. I get the feeling that someone completely clueless is steering this ship.

Web of Bissaka

Then he must be doing something right. But why Carrick is there - I have no idea.
Maybe the two managers so far (Mou and Ole, but arguably more so Mou) sees good potentials in him and willing to keep him around, and in fact he does contributed even if it's little but significant? Also, to keep his seniority and keeping the players in check but I always find that not effective.

I recall three players have came out now who credited Carrick's influences eg. Lukaku, Pogba and McTominay. The first two there talked about it in interviews during and after season 17/18 where arguably since then Pogba's movements from deep to poach the ball inside the box has improved. McT's passings game have also improved now with more forwards passings and more switching possession to the other sides.

Web of Bissaka

I wouldn’t be so sure that it is Ole who makes the decisions on backroom staff. I get the feeling that someone completely clueless is steering this ship.
Really?
Despite many proofs to contradict that.

All the 4 managers so far bring in their own staffs and sacked majority of previous staffs from before no?

Only De Gea's GK coach who is sacked now, Carrick and McKenna stayed. The rest are replaced, even Fergie's backroom staffs.

Cloud7

Well, we don't really know what they do, so it's tough to point specific fingers at them. For all we know they just set up the cones in training. Didn't Moyes have a guy who just did that alone?

That being said, when Ole goes they need to go as well. No more of the club forcing it's own coaches on managers, like we did with Giggs, and then Carrick.