Why do commentators and pundits keep saying ‘at least we can see a plan/what he’s trying to do?’

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What's the plan? Best way to determine how Ole's approached this so far is to see what's changed since last year I suppose.

Defense: Improved. Every time the opposition got hold of the ball last season I almost pissed my pants terrified of who would feck up and gift them a goal. No longer the case - we're as solid as you'd expect a top team to be.
Pressure: Improved. We're playing most our games on the opposition's side of the pitch unlike last year when we could hardly make it past the halfway line.
Fitness: Improved. Our players can now do a sprint without gasping for air the next five minutes.
Team cohesion: Improved. We can actually keep the ball even while pressing high - unlike last year where our players looked clueless both on and off the ball.
Results: Improved. Last seven games previous season saw us at five points - our first seven this season sees us at nine.
Attack: Worse. We lack the quality to both create and to convert - despite dominating both possession and positioning we simply don't score. To be honest this is our only real concern right now even though it's a big one.

So... There's the "plan" - what's improved and what still needs improving. And it seems they're quite aware of the latter so my guess is we'll see them handle that come January. Stop the hysteria please - it's nuts reading some of the posts in here it honestly makes me believe there's something in the water causing some form of collective dementia.
This is a hilarious post.

Eric7C

This is a hilarious post.
The best one is the results bit: comparing 9 points in 7 games to last season's 5 points in the final 7 games. United are now supposed to be happy with that.

Amazing. We might have found our very own Glaston here.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There are some positive I can see:
  • We signed 2 defenders and now Defensively we are improving & we have a ball playing centre back to play from the back now.
  • 3 of our signings adapt to the league very quickly & have performed
  • Not afraid to play young players like McTomminay & Pereira. McTomminay might not be a world class talent but he has fundamental to be United player that we can build on.
The result obviously has been very poor & playing style hasn’t been good enough to watch but we can always say it’s because our forwards & attacking mid are average. If we sign some top attackers, may be the results would have been better.

Chairman Steve

I can't see what he is doing though. I'm not seeing a style of play forming at all. It's just a cliche that pundits bleat out because they don't know dick about anything of substance, and they'll be defended no matter what especially if the manager in question is a mate *cough*GNev*cough*

OGS could not beat fecking Rochdale at home and only just beat Astana at home. All I can see is he's reliant on using counter attacks, but he needs to realise that a good portion of teams we face are going to park a bus and we're going to have to break them down, which is something he seemingly gets stumped at. If you're going to succeed as a manager at Utd, you can't just rely on teams throwing attacks at you hoping for some counter attacks to break your way. A lot of teams we face set up knowing that and will sit and absorb pressure... and because the likes of Lingard, Rashford and Pereira are nowhere near good enough to break down parked buses, we are reliant onto individual magic and a player pulling something out of their ass to win a game for us.

Going into a match hoping someone can pull off a piece of magic is a big red flag.

JMack1234

Well all the United pundits are mates with Ole and nearly all the Non-United pundits are mates with someone who is mates with Ole.

In fairness, Ole clearly has a transfer policy. He's after young British players. Style of play we've got no idea, apart from running around a lot for 15 mins. The attack is powder puff, the midfield is nonexistent and I think the defence has improved.

So yeah, if Ole wasn't Ole the media and the fans would be marching on Old Trafford with pitchforks at the moment.

Foxbatt

He is a nice young polite guy. He is very likable chap. Even Keane thinks very highly of him as a person and of course as a player.

predator

Youth NITK
Come on. It doesn't take a genius to see what Ole is attempting. Tactically there is nothing to go off but the signings, the sales, the team selections and the comments from the man himself tell us everything. He is trying to replicate Fergie, which sounds too simple but sadly it's true.

I love Ole but he is deluded if he believes the squad in front of him is capable of challenging.