Why do our wingers & full backs play like they have just met each other

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
For the majority of the season we have had Antony on the right & Rashord on the left while 3 full backs have played the majority of the games but still you hardly see any good attacking interchanges between them. Modern football seems to revolve all around this winger fullback arc but for some reason we seem to be very bad at it . Is it poor coaching or quality of the players involved ?

Dan_F

Shaw and Rashford usually play well together, I think the problems were elsewhere today as we could barely get hold of the ball.

Skills

Snitch
Genuinely don't think this is an issue. Our fullback play this season has generally been the best part of our games.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I can’t see how you came out of yesterday with that as your gripe?

can think of at least 2 occasions where Dalot linked up with Anthony to get past him, first time he put in a woeful cross the second time a great cross

redcucumber

Right back is definitely an issue. The fact that we are still flip flopping between Dalot and Wan-Bissaka is far from ideal.

Ricardo de la Vega

For the majority of the season we have had Antony on the right & Rashord on the left while 3 full backs have played the majority of the games but still you hardly see any good attacking interchanges between them. Modern football seems to revolve all around this winger fullback arc but for some reason we seem to be very bad at it . Is it poor coaching or quality of the players involved ?
EVERY time. They just seem to make the exact opposite run the ball carrier wants. Every time - then they just pass the ball into space and get annoyed that the full back didn't carry on the overlap etc. Ive seen this so much this year I dont know why it is but it just looks like Dalot went to Antony the minute before the game and said "oh hi my names diego Im the full back yeah dont worry bud ill back you up".

Lights Out

It’s the fact we are so reluctant to put the ball in the box that’s so frustrating.

There was sequence of play yesterday where we worked it well on the left and Sancho rolled it back to Shaw - it was a perfect set up for Shaw to cross first time - but he took a touch and then just played a pass into midfield. Then the move broke down.

Similar sequences happened with Dalot on the right and I just don’t understand the point in your full backs attacking if they aren’t going to cross the ball when you work the opportunity. It’s absolutely baffling.

redcucumber

It’s the fact we are so reluctant to put the ball in the box that’s so frustrating.

There was sequence of play yesterday where we worked it well on the left and Sancho rolled it back to Shaw - it was a perfect set up for Shaw to cross first time - but he took a touch and then just played a pass into midfield. Then the move broke down.

Similar sequences happened with Dalot on the right and I just don’t understand the point in your full backs attacking if they aren’t going to cross the ball when you work the opportunity. It’s absolutely baffling.
Weghorst is basically useless in the air - Rashford is genuinely more of a threat from headers. Is it at all surprising that the players would rather look for a different opening if Weghorst is the target?

Widow

The lack of ability to take a man on is killing us on the right. Antony has the skill but lacks pace and a right foot. It's worrying to think we've spent so much on that position yet it still looks like we could do with another.