Why do players get a yellow for taking their shirt off?

Godfather

They never gave an official reason.

It's because sponsors want all the photos and video of goals to show their logos, which is not unreasonable given what they pay.
Doesn't justify FIFA enforcing it with their own rules. It's not their sponsors on the shirts. It shouldn't be a thing in all fairness.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Wasn’t it also because of countries (which pay money to broadcast games) where bare chests aren’t allowed on show getting arsey too? I might have made that up

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I think this rule should be removed, and removed from both men's and women's football. Footballers should have the liberty to take off their shirt whenever they please.

Bocca9978

Thought it was because of the Arsenal lot showing message under their shirts.
Happy to blame them. Pathetic rule.

UpWithRivers

I literally don't think I've cared about anything less. Shirt on or shirt off. Bothered. However the question is why do it? If you have such an urge to strip and just cant help yourself after a goal you have issues and should see a therapist.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its about the delay of the restart. I think they should have left it to the discretion of the referee, as a player who takes his shirt off but keeps it with him so he can put it back on in reasonable time isn't necessarily doing much bad, whereas the idiot who throws it into the crowd and then has to wait to get it back is clearly delaying the kick off.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I literally don't think I've cared about anything less. Shirt on or shirt off. Bothered. However the question is why do it? If you have such an urge to strip and just cant help yourself after a goal you have issues and should see a therapist.
I am there with you. Albeit I would not blame it on issues.

miked99

I must admit, I don't get why anyone wants to do that. Maybe Ronaldo wants to show off his super-ripped physique. But they all do it.

Maybe I should do it in the office next time I complete a project. I'm gonna up the ante though and take my trousers off. Again

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It's all down to equality in sport. The women complained that they were not permitted to remove theirs so wanted parity with the men's game.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
A way to suppress players displaying personal or political messages, it helps keep the leagues clear of controversy and helps uphold the squeaky clean image they want to portray.

Jam

Which stupid cnut came up with that?
The poster did. Because it’s ridiculous misogynistic nonsense.

Officially it’s to die with proper attire.

Unofficially it’s to do with sponsorships. “Why would FIFA care if it’s not their sponsors” - because they want money being invested into the sport at large to increase the size and relevance and therefore themselves. FIFA indirectly benefit.

Ibi Dreams

I would like it if one day a player takes his shirt off after scoring, but he's got another one exactly the same on underneath

Red_toad

Just strike the goal off they scored and it’d instantly no longer be an issue. OH is still going on about Ronaldo so we need to remove that kinda crap from the field of play :lol:

kthanksbye

I may be completely wrong here, but wasn't it to keep rules for women and men football identical?

BerryBerryShrew

At 8 secs at the top of the screen, his teammate raises his arms in celebration and then sheepishly starts scratching his head- presumably when the shirt came off and he realised what was going to happen.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It started when Diego Forlan couldn't get his shirt back on, and ended up running around playing skins for the last few minutes of a game.
We had that in place in South America about ten years before Forlán's happened. Explanation back then was not inciting crowds.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Because of their identification number (squad number).

Also, stoppage time, etc.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You can't restart the game with a player with no shirt, so to prevent time-wasting pretending you're struggling to put it back on.
They could change it so that there is no yellow but then you're out until the next stoppage of play.
I've never known this actually happen, but there were a few instances of players struggling to get their shirt back on and taking up time (eg. Forlan). Not sure why it matters considering it can just be added on. I mean, that's if we're taking their reasoning at face value, which probably isn't the real reason.

Hughie77

The fat cnut Moss , only wished he had abs, instead of a Barrel , so he wants yellow cards

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
The real question here is: Would you get a yellow for pulling down your shorts?

Okey

I'd say total elation at a late winner (usually when it happens) is the whole point of sport.
Amen! I don't think I've seen anyone do it after scoring early in a game. Seeing how some spectators go proper berzek at a late, significant goal makes a player taking his shirt off appear sedate. Adrenaline...what's life without those madcap moments? The rule needs to go imo.