Why do Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arse get no pressure from the media?

Reyoji-Utd

We're currently 2nd and constantly hear stories of with the same narrative of 'failing Utd' in the media...

But, we're 6 points clear of last year's runners up, Spuds. We're 6 points clear of Arsenal, 5 points clear of Liverpool and a point ahead of last year's PL champions Chelsea!

What's going on with this lads? Why the feck aren't these other clubs receiving even a fraction of the pressure and negative press that we do!?

And why the feck isn't this being brought up anywhere else?

We're halfway through the season and above Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arse - and last year we finished 6th! Why isn't our press talking about the amazing improvement we've had?

And more to the point why aren't these other teams below us getting ANY pressure!?

At the weekend when Kane broke the scoring record him and Pochettino were all smiles and pats on the back from the media, and it's like, 'hang on a minute, these clowns were last season's runners up - and they're now 21 points behind the PL leaders, and it's no issue!'

Whereas Utd, finishing in 6th last season, are 15 points behind them and it's literally repeated on every footy show and article over and over again, with our manager being treated like he's a failure.

This needs to be addressed, and we need to start standing up for our club on it, because it's fecking laughable.
Isn’t we the most hated club in England? Add to that we have probably the most hated (maybe controversial) manager in football right now and with the results that we have then you have a perfect recipe to write home some BS narrative.

United is just being United and you don’t go and get to stay at the top for almost 2 decades without making some people envious or jealous of you.

We may find it unfair or ridiculous at times but in another perspective it’s still better that we’re still being relevant.

DdeGoat

They are performing as per their status. We are in the Real, Barcelona, Bayern category of clubs. If we not winning and entertaining, we are failing. We should be proud of it. We don't want less media pressure. We don't want to become Spurs or Arsenal.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
Funny that a United fan is complaining about Media treatment when to us Chelsea fans we see more anti-chelsea news articles, pundit views and all of that daily yet your complaining about media being unfair? Try looking up some of the BS chelsea goes through then you'll see your not getting anything close to it.

Giggs86

Because the expectations from us are ten times higher than from other teams. As a team who used to dominate English football for two decades we are held to much different standards than other teams. Chelsea had their season last year and that's why they're getting slack this time around. As for Spurs, Liverpool and Arse - no one really expects them to win the title. Their success is measured by securing top 4, and everything on top of that is a bonus.

Green_Red

Because we are the biggest club in the country.

Media writing about us sells more and more clicks.
Exactly this.

Bigger audience means more sales, its as simple as that, plus United is the biggest supported club in England so theres bound to more interest just by way of numbers.

Pacificgi

Over the past 20 odd years everyones been used to us being the club on top. We've had our challengers by other teams winning the league but we've generally fought back.

Issue is, people still look at us the same way as we're the biggest club but so much has changed since fergie left. It feels like everything is being done to get us back to the top but we're simply not there yet.

We're being held by the high standards we've previously set ourselves so theres bound to more pressure on us compared to those other clubs.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I reject the premise of the question.

Could someone link me to a story which talk about "failling United"? (a match report from a bad result does not count)

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Mourinho Man United combo is what every media person loves.
Biggest club in country, one of the biggest clubs in the world +
one of the biggest and most loved to be hated managers =
happy days for media people.

Remember internatonal break? What they were writting about? Us, of course. Slow day in the office, hmm, let's write about morquescue atmosphere at Carrington, that will give us clicks.

On the other hand, I believe every club has bad stuff written in papers, I just don't know much of it. Why? Because as United fan I will read stuff about us, but I won't be bothered reading about other clubs. I don't care about Conte, Wenger, Klopp, Pep...or their clubs. So, I can think is we are in the papers all the time and they are not, which is not true.

Oscie

We're the same. We're fresh off winning the League Cup and Europa league, have made it through to the last 16 of the Champions League and looking at points, goals and everything we're on course to have easily our best Premier League season in 5 years.

Yet to come here the mood is such that you'd think we'd all just been informed that our cat just got ran over. Doom and gloom about everything. Can't complain when the media is negative on us when seemingly a large portion of the fan base are suicidal for utterly absurd reasons that don't exist.

Peanut Butter

Because we are the biggest club in the country.

Media writing about us sells more and more clicks.
This.

We're huge compared to Spurs and Chelsea who are tiny clubs in comparison.

Liverpool are a huge club but everyone is used to them failing so it's not news.

Arsenal are Arsenal.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Arsenal have been getting it from all sides for years now. It's part of why Wenger won't be the one to get them out of this because there is too much negativity surrounding his name.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Almost any fan loves to see negative stories about United. They’re obsessed with seeing us fail.
Newspapers turn this into clicks.

Treble

We're currently 2nd and constantly hear stories of with the same narrative of 'failing Utd' in the media...

But, we're 6 points clear of last year's runners up, Spuds. We're 6 points clear of Arsenal, 5 points clear of Liverpool and a point ahead of last year's PL champions Chelsea!

What's going on with this lads? Why the feck aren't these other clubs receiving even a fraction of the pressure and negative press that we do!?

We're halfway through the season and above Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arse - and last year we finished 6th! Why isn't our press talking about the amazing improvement we've had?

And more to the point why aren't these other teams below us getting ANY pressure!?

At the weekend when Kane broke the scoring record him and Pochettino were all smiles and pats on the back from the media, and it's like, 'hang on a minute, these clowns were last season's runners up - and they're now 21 points behind the PL leaders, and it's no issue!'

Whereas Utd, finishing in 6th last season, are 15 points behind them and it's literally repeated on every footy show and article over and over again, with our manager being treated like he's a failure.

This needs to be addressed, and we need to start standing up for our club on it, because it's fecking laughable.
Different expectations.

United are the most successful English club and the richest club in the world. People expect big things from United.

It's the second season under Jose. He has always won the title in his second season. And now looks miles off.

The huge improvement you are talking about is just 4 pts. After 20 league games, United have only 4 pts more than last season. That's not as impressive as you tend to portray it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
United are the biggest club in England, everyone (apart from the fans) loves a good disaster story.

Also Mourinho's antics attract attention. Are the media 'anti Mou'? Perhaps, but he's the reason they are. Same with Van Gaal, Van Gaal was a pompous moron, so the media loved to give him flack. Mourinho is an arrogant cnut, same story.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Martin Samuel was speaking about this on the Sunday Supplement the other month. Put simply, stories about United will always attract more attention and as a result more money, whether or not there's any substance to the actual stories.

raggy

Supports
Spurs
This is just complete cognative bias. Most people think their own club gets a tougher time with the media.

From my perspective we get hammered every week... I can't remember the last post-match analysis where the final conclusion wasn't that our entire squad is about to collapse and the mass exodus is just about to start.

We've been on the verge of collapse about to lose all our players every week for the past 2 years from what I can see.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This is just complete cognative bias. Most people think their own club gets a tougher time with the media.

From my perspective we get hammered every week... I can't remember the last post-match analysis where the final conclusion wasn't that our entire squad is about to collapse and the mass exodus is just about to start.

We've been on the verge of collapse about to lose all our players every week for the past 2 years from what I can see.
This, very much.

Except for the Mourinho part, but it's Mourinho's own fault everyone loves to hate him. It's the way he acts.

AshRK

I don't think there has existed a manager in English football who was mocked as much as Wenger did. They used the Professeur tag against him mercilessly. He was the archetype foreign snobby wannabe philosopher trying to come here and teach us how to play. You remember how Guardiola's "I am not coach for the tackles" was covered last year? Pundits rejoiced about how this other chap is not going to pull off his fancy foreign ways in our tough league. To most people in the media in this country, our 1999 and 2008 are the best teams in the PL era. Even our fans will tell you we hardly played brilliant football in Fergie's latter years, yet all you hear from pundits is how the new managers are abandoning the United way that saw Fergie play the best football. I am sorry but this simply sounds like Liverpool fans and their eternal victim perception about everything and everyone.
Wenger rarely got criticised or scrutinised like sir Alex from 2000 to 2010. That's the reason hebhas managed to stay at this club. Yes he now gets criticised but now is high time because every dog knows he is no sir Alex. Media were trying their best to portray wenger as some messiah whenever he was against sir Alex. I still remember after we defeated arsenal in 2009 cl semis , one of the British report said the difference was sir Alex had Ronaldo to save him while wenger does not. That's one of the laziest reports you will see. Imagine us losing, you will never see such crap reporting. They forgot the reality why arsenal lost was sir Alex schooled wenger. And there were many fans mostly united who even though respect wenger but questioned him. But media only started scrutinising him since 2014.

Anyways this is not wenger/sir Alex debate. It is regarding your original point where you said we receive extra praise which is not true. We get criticism because we are the biggest club and we get praised when we do well but extra praise , rarely.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Because the money we've spent over the last 3/4 years has seen a return of trophies and some great teams whereas united have struggled to compete for major honours in that time whilst spending an extremely high amount.

Then when the media starting predicting them as title winners and fans alike buy into the "Jose second season syndrome", coupled with the money you spent on Lukaku in the summer... you start to get expectations.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Something to do with the fact you've spent nearly 700 million since 2013, which dwarves Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool's spending hence some returns on that sort of outlay are expected.

And also the fact that United dominated the league for 2 decades but now look nowhere close to winning the title anymore than the other teams.

Mindhunter

For over a decade in the PL, we only came first or second - never third. We won the PL three times in a row not a long time back. We are the biggest team in England right now (may change in the next few years) so that will come with additional scrutiny and criticism.

In fact, I like the fact that we get the attention of the footballing world. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Claude Makélélé

This.

We're huge compared to Spurs and Chelsea who are tiny clubs in comparison.

Liverpool are a huge club but everyone is used to them failing so it's not news.

Arsenal are Arsenal.
Man United is the team that have won the most trophies in England for the last 25 years (before that it was Liverpool's era). Chelsea has been the most (or one of 2) successful clubs in England for the last 14 years.

Not everyone hates Chelsea. Its fanbase is in top 5 of Europ elite clubs and ranks first in various countries and big territories.

Chelsea is consistently in top 10 club in terms of revenue since 1998 (Deloitte football league).

It is also the only club which Man United has more losses than wins against in the Premier League era since 1992. Man United won only 2 games in last 22 matches at Stamford Bridge since 2000 and one of United heaviest loss was at Stamford Bridge (0-5 in 1998).

For those reason in my opinion Chelsea is just a little bit more than a tiny club comparing to Man United.

Trizy

Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal are failures so that explains them. Don't get why Chelsea get a free pass though. It's not like their an underdog. Maybe it's just because all their success is hollow.

Peanut Butter

Man United is the team that have won the most trophies in England for the last 25 years (before that it was Liverpool's era). Chelsea has been the most (or one of 2) successful clubs in England for the last 14 years.

Not everyone hates Chelsea. Its fanbase is in top 5 of Europ elite clubs and ranks first in various countries and big territories.

Chelsea is consistently in top 10 club in terms of revenue since 1998 (Deloitte football league).

It is also the only club which Man United has more losses than wins against in the Premier League era since 1992. Man United won only 2 games in last 22 matches at Stamford Bridge since 2000 and one of United heaviest loss was at Stamford Bridge (0-5 in 1998).

For those reason in my opinion Chelsea is just a little bit more than a tiny club comparing to Man United.

Nah.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Because United spent 200 million in the summer to win the league. You are one of a handful of clubs who every transfer window, spend vast fortunes to try to win the league. You can't spend so much money and then not challenge.

Spurs don't spend anywhere near as much money, so they aren't under the same scrutiny.

Obviously, previous expectations play a part too, United are expected to be up there, clubs like Liverpool, Spurs, not so much.

In the main though it comes down to money, you splash the cash every single summer, yet don't put in a credible title challenge, questions will be asked.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
While some posters on here can have a decent debate others simply can't seem to talk about their club without putting others down, I get that football is trible but perhaps that's the attitutude that's causes the hostility we are currently talking about.

Last edited:

AshRK

I feel chelsea have got their fair share of heat from the press. The funny thing is chelsea was blasted by the press even when they won the title after 50 years in 2005 and successfuly defended it in 2006 because of their owners yet city have gotten a free pass since their inception in 2008. Liverpool and city are the most protected in that regard. Spurs I understand as under poch they have done a great job and formed the core of the English national team. Even as a united fan I can't hate them. I really hope they finish in top 4 at the expense of Liverpool

Claude Makélélé

I feel chelsea have got their fair share of heat from the press. The funny thing is chelsea was blasted by the press even when they won the title after 50 years in 2005 and successfuly defended it in 2006 because of their owners yet city have gotten a free pass since their inception in 2008. Liverpool and city are the most protected in that regard. Spurs I understand as under poch they have done a great job and formed the core of the English national team. Even as a united fan I can't hate them. I really hope they finish in top 4 at the expense of Liverpool
Journalists are football fans so themselves have their favorite teams like Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United. To be fair in 2004/2005 they would not like a team which was supported by a Russian owner, played defensive football, immediately stopped Arsenal invincible team winning the league, started being the threat to United and let Liverpool waiting time for their first premier league trophy longer. As Mourinho said his Chelsea team was hated because they made immediately results. I think his view is partly true.

For Man City they were not the first team which succeeded though big foreign investment. They also did not gain success immediately and they play attractive football. I believe for general football fans they are better looking than Chelsea.

AshRK

Journalists are football fans so themselves have their favorite teams like Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United. To be fair in 2004/2005 they would not like a team which was supported by a Russian owner, played defensive football, immediately stopped Arsenal invincible team winning the league, started being the threat to United and let Liverpool waiting time for their first premier league trophy longer. As Mourinho said his Chelsea team was hated because they made immediately results. I think his view is partly true.

For Man City they were not the first team which succeeded though big foreign investment. They also did not gain success immediately and they play attractive football. I believe for general football fans they are better looking than Chelsea.
Or maybe not many take city seriously. Remember instead of city it could have been Villa or Newcastle or Wigan Ffs. Just that it turned out the Arabs decided to invest in city. But honestly I see no difference in what chelsea did and what city are doing now. Just that city get a free pass.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Because we're still the biggest club in the country by a mile, and one of the biggest in the world.

When journalists write articles on Man Utd, they get clicks. This is not arrogance in assuming all this, but facts. I was listening to the Sunday Supplement a few weeks ago and one of the journalists on there was saying that City fans were going on about how they don't get half the attention United do even though they're storming the league.
He answered honestly and said United just generate much more interest. It's as simple as that. All the journalists around the table agreed.

Also, i don't think Arsenal should be amongst those teams that you mentioned; they get ridiculed and kicked from pillar to post by a lot of journalists. Have been for years.

Dinghy

It's a combination of us being the biggest club and having the biggest moaner as a manager.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You're wearing very strong red glasses, that's why. Every clubs fans feel the media picks on them relentlessly. From my perspective, United gets a huge benefit of the doubt in the media because of the SAF years and has skated by pretty easily given the mess it's been since he stepped down.

As a counter example, Spurs fans feel that every time you open a paper or website the media is trying to sell off half the team to anyone else and the club is in dire crisis and close to a complete collapse. One of the biggest Spurs forums has entire threads based on how biased against Spurs specific media outlets are, for example. (Mind you, I find threads like to be pretty much nonsense, but it's a great example of the persecution that all fans feel).

I'm sure you could find similar examples for every club you listed. Fans always feel it's their team, and their team only, that's being ruthlessly criticized. It's not true, but that's it can feel.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Any time we have a poor result or two the media starts their Conte will leave or Conte will be sacked stories. I'd argue we're under more pressure and get more criticism than any other club in the league. We either win the title or its chaos and heads rolling.

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
Liverpool and Chelsea spend a fecking shitload, so no, I'm not buying that for a second.

And we won 2 trophies last season as well, but that seems to buy us no leeway in the slightest.
Won't be popular on here but you won 2 trophies no club of your size should be interested in.

You should be too good to even qualify for the Europa league and the rich clubs play their reserves half the time in the league cup. In fact it's so important now I'm not even sure what it's called anymore

The reality is Utd get a lot of stick in the media because A you've spent more than everyone else (who hasn't won 18 games on the trot) and B no one is used to not having a successful Utd in recent times. You should think yourself lucky. No one gives a shit what Everton do. Least there's an expectation of your lot in the media

As for the others Spurs have done it with literally no transfer spend. Chelsea have won titles recently and I honestly think Liverpool now get a free pass in the media because of hillsborough.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
not true arsenal get plenty of shite from the media. Every loss has the club in crisis according to the media and its been that way for the last 10 years. You are just not seeing it enough because you only look at your clubs news mostly so it just feels like your club get treated more negatively.

im sure this is the same for all top club fans apart from spurs who are just complete media darlings and can do no wrong.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
You're definitely way more sensitive to criticism against your own club - look at City fans as an example, they are totally paranoid when it comes to the exposure, or lack of, that they get.

Truthfully though, there isn't a club which draws such strong response than us across all supporters. Coupled with the huge support we already have, put United in a somewhat disparaging title and you've pretty much much guaranteed yourself enough clicks then and there.

That said, we have come massively off the boil lately and there is justified criticism to be made. The fact that the first month of the season has been our best is hardly a great indictment on how we've been progressing.

redflair

Any time we have a poor result or two the media starts their Conte will leave or Conte will be sacked stories. I'd argue we're under more pressure and get more criticism than any other club in the league. We either win the title or its chaos and heads rolling.
Under Antonio Conte, I actually think that's true.

We, under Mourinho, are always going to get criticism because of the clash of club and personality but Conte's always been in perpetual crisis as far as the media is concerned and that Premier League victory in his first season feels like some phantom triumph which is now a distant memory.

It did happen and I think, this season, it might come to a straight fight between Chelsea and United for second place.

A one and a two for Conte wouldn't be bad if he was to leave at the end of the season.