Why do we have a meltdown today?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Whataboutery. Stuck in the past and making excuses for the present. Ferguson won titles with us and changed the entire club, with freak results along the way. It's so irrelevant to what we are watching, no comparison. I want people to explain why Ole is the right man now, why the consistency and performances are absent. Fans should ask questions, loyalty is becoming blind.
After 4 long years of toil and misery. Would never have made it during this social media era.

Devil may care

I'm guessing you didn't see the game? We struggled to beat one of the worst teams in the league, the football was sluggish and sterile, hard to be enthusiastic unless you're one of those that only cares about the 3 points and doesn't worry about the standard of performance against crap, that type of performance against a better side would have been punished.

Morpheus 7

Because it has to be all black and white? I'm all for a good and healthy discussion, but to moan for the sake of it? The old saying, if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all, has some truth to it.
I believe in the saying but you can hardly say that after your original post.

TheGodsInRed

There is no outlier with United at the moment. We can be brilliant, average or quite shite. I would honestly have taken any kind of win tonight.
The brilliant is when we are allowed to ply counter attacking football. But against these low block teams it tends to be a goal in it either way. We either give away a silly mistake and lose, or win by a Bruno pen. Pretty consistent I would say!

Castia

Because we were fecking shocking? A re-taken penalty 1-0 win against the worst team in the prem. Boring from minute 1 to 90.

3 points is 3 points but that was a terrible performance, we lose that game against pretty much anybody else in the league.

Dante

Average bang
People extrapolating from the quality of the opponent.

1. West Brom are a poor team.
2. United played at a low level today and barely beat West Brom.
3. United will play superior teams to West Brom.
4. If United continue to play at the same low level, we'll lose against these superior teams.

What this doesn't take into account is how much better we play against teams that don't sit back. United are more comfortable on the counter than breaking down a deep defence.

So playing against poor teams is when we're at our weakest. Playing against good teams is when we're at our best.

The extrapolation doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

People extrapolating from the quality of the opponent.

1. West Brom are a poor team.
2. United played at a low level today and barely beat West Brom.
3. United will play superior teams to West Brom.
4. If United continue to play at the same low level, United will lose against these superior teams.

What this doesn't take into account is how much better we play against teams that don't sit back. United are better on the counter rather than breaking down a deep defence.

Playing against poor teams is when we're at our weakest. Playing against good teams is when we're at our best.

The extrapolation doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
The worry is that most sides DO SIT BACK, and are better than WBA.

scrutinise that.

meamth

Tells you the quality of their squad.
No way, from my part, at least I know they have extra preparation for this, fitter, fresher and have lesser fatigue without the jet lags.

They are a systematic team with lesser players, that's what you expect from PL teams. You can't underestimate them.

We're lucky to win, but I'm happy we won regardless of the performance. We needed that 3 points, style of play means feck all now.

Devil77

I'm guessing you didn't see the game? We struggled to beat one of the worst teams in the league, the football was sluggish and sterile, hard to be enthusiastic unless you're one of those that only cares about the 3 points and doesn't worry about the standard of performance against crap, that type of performance against a better side would have been punished.
The league leaders won by 1-0 against this very same team scoring in 88:th minute a couple of days ago. It’s not as easy as people trying to make out.

Dante

Average bang
The worry is that most sides DO SIT BACK, and are better than WBA.

scrutinise that.
Our xG was 2.43 to 0.43. We played well enough to beat the team in front of us, and will do so against others who do the same thing.

Granted, we need to get better at beating a low block. But it's not a problem worth melting down over.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The brilliant is when we are allowed to ply counter attacking football. But against these low block teams it tends to be a goal in it either way. We either give away a silly mistake and lose, or win by a Bruno pen. Pretty consistent I would say!
Its not unique to United. The reason teams play with men behind the ball is because it makes them much harder to score against.

meamth

The league leaders won by 1-0 against this very same team scoring in 88:th minute a couple of days ago. It’s not as easy as people trying to make out.
They are also very unlucky, they have performed really well with such limited players.

The league leaders have won 6 games and have a +12 goal difference.
We’ve won 4 games and have a GD of -1.
And the league leaders are managed by a guy deemed too boring by the majority of our fans to be our manager.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I didn't see the meltdown as I wasn't in the matchday much - ironically i was watching the match - but it was boring to watch and it's been this way for a lot of games this season.

Everton, Newcastle (last ten mins), Leipzig: all good (3)

Today, Arsenal, Istanbul, Chelsea, Brighton, Palace: all rubbish (6)

PSG for me is in the middle. Great result so I won't complain. Same as Brighton in the Carry On Cup.

I said to my housemate when Bruno scored that I hope we don't win 1-0 as it's become a bit annoying watching us win games from penalties. I asked for his opinion as a neutral and he said we're uninspiring and that he hates watching us. Fair. I felt a little embarassed having insisted on watching the game on when the final whistle blew. Oh well. 3 points.

Plus we're in lockdown and all understandably miserable.

Last edited:

meamth

I didn't see the meltdown as I wasn't in the matchday much - ironically i was watching the match - but we're very boring to watch and it's been this way for most games this season.

Everton, Newcastle (last ten mins), Leipzig: all good (3)

Today, Arsenal, Istanbul, Chelsea, Brighton, Palace: all awful (6, twice as many)

PSG for me is in the middle. Great result so I won't complain. Same as Brighton in the Carry On Cup.

I said to my housemate when Bruno scored that I really hope we don't win 1-0 as it's become so dull watching us win games from penalties. I asked him for his opinion as a neutral and he said we're uninspiring and that he hates watching us these days. I couldn't exactly counter his point and felt a little embarassed sticking the game on when the final whistle blew.
Just sing "glory glory Man United" works every time. You're a fan, no need to be embarassed. Weirdo.

Do you have a crush on that guy?

SerenityValley

Honestly, we need to be thankful the internet wasn't a thing when United lost 5-0 to Newcastle and 6-3 at Southampton in the same week. It would have been a meltdown of Chernobyl proportions. We played badly, we got a bit of luck but we got the three points. Jose's been doing that down at Spurs and nobody's complaining. If we do what we did today 30 times, play crap and scrape a win, it'll end very well for us. I won't complain until we actually lose.

So I used the various football forums in Usenet, and the email mailing lists on places like Onelist back then, and they very much went mental during that run! I miss Usenet as it was then; there were some great exchanges - fans of many clubs getting involved.

Devil may care

It's not that we only beat them 1-0, it was the complete lack of quality in how we played that was concerning.

Denis79

No way, from my part, at least I know they have extra preparation for this, fitter, fresher and have lesser fatigue without the jet lags.

They are a systematic team with lesser players, that's what you expect from PL teams. You can't underestimate them.

We're lucky to win, but I'm happy we won regardless of the performance. We needed that 3 points, style of play means feck all now.
It does matter though if we have any ambition, we can't get lucky with penalties every 3 or 4 games, it won't get us to where we want to be.

Tonight was an absolutely dreadful performance against a team that won't survive in the league and it's not just a night off, half our games have been of this poor quality. I do understand many fans have set the bar so low that it's beneath water but the line has to be drawn somewhere.