Why does English football have so many clubs and leagues?

Skills

Snitch
Just a quick skim on wikipedia tells me there's layers up on layers to our football league system (it's almost impossible to really get to grips with some of the league-ception) and I'm thinking why? What's the point? Do we need the pyramid going that far down? Does it serve much purpose?

Do any of the major leagues across Europe have so many levels to their own football structure?

MrPooni

Over here football clubs have almost always been intrinsically tied to their local communities in a far deeper way than I think most casual followers of the sport realise. They are there and continue exist because there is enough will to keep them going even though that's not always enough, especially in the current climate.

Web of Bissaka

Curious as well.
English football has the most clubs and divisions of leagues? why?

That said, with the pandemic likely to be persisting longer, affecting the economic aspect and thus life of many clubs, I wonder if there'll be assimilation/combination of clubs in the future, particularly among the lower divisions clubs in order to survive/sustain themselves, resulting in decrease no. of clubs. Then..

Right timing to cut away one league? the lowest divisions.

Red_toad

Just a quick skim on wikipedia tells me there's layers up on layers to our football league system (it's almost impossible to really get to grips with some of the league-ception) and I'm thinking why? What's the point? Do we need the pyramid going that far down? Does it serve much purpose?

Do any of the major leagues across Europe have so many levels to their own football structure?
Why = because people support the clubs and have an affiliation to them. It serves the purpose to entertain those that sustain the sport in all leagues.
Who cares what other countries do with a sport they adopted?

Skills

Snitch
If I had a 25 year mortgage, which had 2 years left, and was made redundant. Could I tell the bank I was definitely going to pay the last 2 years if I hadn't lost my job, so you should give me the house. ?
Wrong thread?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Germany has similar. There is no reason for any small sized footballing nation not to have similar. People want to play football at all levels. What reason is there not to put them all in the same pyramid?

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
History.

We invented the beautiful game from grass roots up over 200 years ago. The legacy is still deeply rooted across every village and town in the country.

No other country has this level of history hence the huge league system currently in place.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Yes. There is a demand for football and it's being supplied. It definitely serves a purpose. It gives the working man a chance to play football at a decent level and the potential for clubs to get into the 'proper' league system. It also supplies communities. Communities aren't just one shape or size. Take Greater Manchester for example. You have United and City as the clubs, but narrow the City down and you have Oldham, Stockport, Salford, Bolton, Rochdale etc...narrow it down to just a city and then you have United/City etc, narrow it down to a borough within a city etc.

Not sure about you but in my town we were 'split' so to speak into the North side and the South side and we had a rivalry. But collectively we had a rivalry to the next town over. Collectively again we had a rivaly as Scotland against England and so forth.

When AFC Wimbledon had to start again they began in the 5th tier pyramid (I believe there is 7) and are now in League 1. One of the most popular clubs on social media is Hashtag United that are also in the 5th tier but started in the 6th. Made by a bloke on Youtube with his mates at Sunday league level and turned it into an actual club.

Football is in such demand in our country that we can sustain a pyramid like this.