Why does Gary Neville root against us?

Superunknown

He's going to align his voice to what is happening. He builds no credibility to hyping up a team that is truly and utterly shite.
Totally agree with this.
There's a lot of negative stuff coming out of the mouths of ex-players at the moment, but there's a justified reason for that. Imagine if they were coming out praising the team and their efforts/results, imagine the reaction to that here!

I think the true answer is that Gary Neville is hurting inside with how lacklustre we are, or have been post-Sir Alex. It does sting a little to see how wrong things for us, yet how right they are going for our rivals. I imagine that is multiplied by a very big number if you are an ex-player for the club.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We went on to win three successive league titles and a CL shortly after Ruud was sold to Madrid.

If ever a sale was vindicated if was that one.
Clearly you didn't read rest of my post. Team in and around at the time meant Fergie could make that decision, Ole isn't blessed with same quality but yet decided to part with his best goalscorer. Going back to 2006, Rooney and Ronaldo were starting to approach their prime and we finally fixed our porous defence with addition of Vidic, finding a proper GK in VDS and rise of Evra. It's too simplistic a view to say Fergie sold one of his best ever goalscorers to replace him with a more mobile striker and won everything. Besides, Saha was a big sicknote for us and didn't play that huge a part in any of those 3 PL wins.

Difference is, Lukaku wanted out and a replacement couldn't be found, through lack of money or simply lack of options suiting Ole's style. I agree with Neville that we shouldn't have just thrown money at any old striker, which seems to be Souness' argument. I'd prefer to be in the situation we're in now, rather than have had Mandzukic, for example, who would have helped us through this brief period, but whose salary would have been another burden too offload in the near future.
Lukaku had wanted out since last April, rumors in Italy pointed a union with Conte at Inter. Ole, and rest of his team had ample time to find a replacement yet they didn't. We heard rumors about AWB, Maguire, James, Longstaff all summer long but we weren't linked with any striker by any reputable source for entirety of the summer. Want to know why? Because he wants to build a team around Rashford and Martial, Lukakus' 'replacement' would've been bench fodder just like him. Also, before you point out Dybala swap in August. He was never on our shortlist, because if he were we'd have know A) About his reservations B) His image rights issue. We were thrown an elite level talent in our laps by Juve, and to bridge the difference in value we asked for Mandzukic. The whole thing reeks of poor planning, which was precisely my original point and that of the SkySports panel with exception of Neville.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The media makes money with negative United stories and comments. Neville has to play ball if he wants a top job, but he honestly comes across like an ex-Liverpool player. However, since most of the British media support Liverpool, this is just the standard industry stance. Praise Liverpool to get clicks from their supporters, bash United to get clicks from everyone. The way a United player is treated if they dive versus a Liverpool player is all you need to see.

I knew they bring up Giggs saying James was "being clever" playing up contact for Wales, with the whole country watching they want to plant the seed in their mind the first time many are seeing James. Remember how they reacted to one dive by Ashley Young? Meanwhile Suarez was diving ten times a game to silence.

"VAR was created so United could beat Liverpool!"-Gary Neville

The White Pele

He’s United through and through and if you think he’s rooting for anyone else then it’s all in your head

Bulldog United

I’d say the fact some people on here think Neville is biased against us suggests he’s doing his job quite well.

I do think he latches onto moments in games like the “foul” today as his window of opportunity to be seen and heard to be fair and impartial. And he struggles to let go of that opportunity, and bangs on about it for too long.

The videos in those twitter clips don’t surprise me at all. When Liverpool equalised, there was a silence from Neville before he could bring himself to find the words to say. Then as Liverpool were piling forward for the winner, you could hear the nervousness in his voice.

I can also remember last season when we had the chance to hand the title to Liverpool, he was clearly in despair at the strong start we made against City. That went away once City got themselves into the winning position.

hobbers

He's not a dick he's just quite thick.

Getting comical now when you have Souness, the biggest ABU going, exasperated beyond belief every week at Neville's rank stupidity in his 'never sacking the manager' manta, his unshaking faith in failed Prem players like Lingard, or his faith in failed number 9s like Rashford. If you listen to them pair of them you'd think for all the world it's Souness who actually wants United to cut away from this malaise and become a force again. While Neville just lives in a bizarre fantasy world where you can get places by putting faith in dire to mediocre young English players, just because.

Godfather

He really is a bit thick. Talking about Rashford yesterday and how broke he looked couple of weeks back and how he is back again and maybe just needs to be trusted.... He really has nur clue why Rashford looks good in games like yesterday where he has lots of space to exploit and absolute shit in games when teams park the bus and he needs to act as a target man. It's exactly as Mourinho said post match

M Bison

Supports
York City
He really is a bit thick. Talking about Rashford yesterday and how broke he looked couple of weeks back and how he is back again and maybe just needs to be trusted.... He really has nur clue why Rashford looks good in games like yesterday where he has lots of space to exploit and absolute shit in games when teams park the bus and he needs to act as a target man. It's exactly as Mourinho said post match
I don’t think he’s the one who’s a bit thick.

If I was a betting man, I’d wager that Neville is of above average intelligence and has a better understanding of the rules and the game itself, than the bulk of our fans.

It’s strange how posters on here try and find things to criticise him for. The paranoia and voices in people’s heads must be tough to live with.

Ban

The media makes money with negative United stories and comments. Neville has to play ball if he wants a top job, but he honestly comes across like an ex-Liverpool player. However, since most of the British media support Liverpool, this is just the standard industry stance. Praise Liverpool to get clicks from their supporters, bash United to get clicks from everyone. The way a United player is treated if they dive versus a Liverpool player is all you need to see.

I knew they bring up Giggs saying James was "being clever" playing up contact for Wales, with the whole country watching they want to plant the seed in their mind the first time many are seeing James. Remember how they reacted to one dive by Ashley Young? Meanwhile Suarez was diving ten times a game to silence.

"VAR was created so United could beat Liverpool!"-Gary Neville
Last line is a joke ffs.

Bestietom

Gary Neville is the same as most of us, he is a Fan. We all root against the board and some against the manager, as we see this great club going downhill.
Just look at our bench yesterday towards what it used to be in Fergies time. We always had game changers and someone who we felt could win us the game coming off the bench. Yesterday we had mostly Youngsters on the bench. I'm not saying that it's wrong to have these youngsters on the bench, but we should have some experienced game changers also. We are very thin in squad numbers for Midfield and Forwards.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I dont think he has any issues with allegiance. It's his hypocrisy that pisses me off. If it was Jose managing united he would have blasted him for playing defensive football
Jose went on a rant when there was rumors on Jose sacking. Ifs and buts without checking anything.

TRUERED89

They showed the gantry when Rashford scored after the game, Gary was celebrating just like the rest of us. So I don't think this thread is necessary!

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
I think he's having a midlife crisis, he desperate to relive his childhood were Liverpool were top dogs and United were trash. Seems the only reasonable explanation, he doesn't hate us he's just not used to us being any good. (Outside of his playing career)

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I didn't hear the Sky commentary live but having seen the post-match chat and the reaction vids I'm not seeing anti-United bias at all from him.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Totally shuts down all the ludicrous posts above :lol:
Ludicrous sums it up. Do these people genuinely believe that Gary fecking Neville isn't a proper red, or doesn't want us to win? Where have these people been for the last 25 years?

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Thank you. This is something I really don't get. By now we all know what Rashford is and why he can trouble top teams with his pace. Problem is most teams won't give him space like Liverpool and arsenal. The fact that he can't see this and why United struggle against defensive teams make me question his tactical knowledge.

Bestietom

I didn't hear the Sky commentary live but having seen the post-match chat and the reaction vids I'm not seeing anti-United bias at all from him.
There was no anti united bias from him at all. He was telling it how it is and people on here can't see this. We all moan because of the state we are in now and Gary is a FAN, at the end of the day

Hes like the rest of his mates from the club; they all seem to revel in the fact that it ain't like it was in their day.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don’t think he’s the one who’s a bit thick.

If I was a betting man, I’d wager that Neville is of above average intelligence and has a better understanding of the rules and the game itself, than the bulk of our fans.

It’s strange how posters on here try and find things to criticise him for. The paranoia and voices in people’s heads must be tough to live with.
You're right. It's the people who follow his words as a gospel, despite of him having a professional contract with SkySports as a football pundit, that are a bit thick.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
OVercompensating to not seem biased. Same reason a teacher shouldn't teach his own children. Think the Twitter video of him fist pumping when United scores is evidence enough that he's a fan.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hes like the rest of his mates from the club; they all seem to revel in the fact that it ain't like it was in their day.
They hardly "revel" in it, they're just gutted it's not like it was.

TRUERED89

I'm not so sure anymore. It's like they think the more we struggle the better it makes what they did look.
Then we may as well get relegated, I'm sure Giggs, Neville and Scholes would love that! That'd make them look like super hero's for what they did for Man United :houllier: