Gaming Why does my PS3 keep shutting down?

Sara125

It’s a sign that you’re living in the past and need to get a PS4 or wait til next year for the ps5 ;)

Bojan11

It shuts down with a beep then the red light flashes. It's not cramped, she's in a cushy spot.
How hot is it when it’s shutting down? Either it’s due to poor ventilation or there’s dust in the system.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Maybe you’re putting in games you got from Europe.

ArjenIsM3

Might we worth opening it up and cleaning the inside with a can of compressed air. Might be full of dust causing it to overheat. Also, it's 2020. PS5 is coming out this year. Time for an upgrade.

onemanarmy

As mentioned couple of times before, probably due to dust or overheating. Fans wear out over time, and it might need to use more processing power for more recent games, hence it's not able to cool down anymore.

My first generation PS4 is like a leafblower when I played God of War or Red Dead Redemption, same issue.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If its overheating: just open your ps3 outside box and point a fan to it. Used to do it in the old days of the Pentium IV, had a large fan to keep it from crashing.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Whelps! I've been gaming since before you were born.

Right, I'll try blowing it with air and a fan. I'm noticing it is really bad playing COD MW2 so not a new game. If I get a PS5 I'm guessing it won't run all my old games.

izzydiggler

Recently had a similar problem with my PS4 - took it apart and the fan was caked with dust. Removed it and been fine since.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sounds like it's reaching it's thermal overload and shutting off to protect itself. Is your fan going crazy? you probably need to take it apart and blow it out / clean it.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Im just suprised your PS3 lasted all this time without any trouble. Its done spectacularly well. I remember an old PS3 of mine died from the red light of death like 10 years ago.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Mine has started doing it quite frequently too although I only play worms so it's not like I lose any progress when I reset.

paulscholes18

Take the power cord out then hold the power button down for 30sec - 1 min then put the power cord back in.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
PS4 won't play my PS3 games, right?
PS3 is one of the greatest consoles ever!

Free online play.
PS1 games
PS2 games *(early versions or hacked versions only)
PS3 games
Youtube
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Sky TV
CDs
DVDs
Blu Rays
It will play pretty much every format of video/photo/music you can throw at it.