Why does Rashford keep pointing at his head™?

Abizzz

I remember when celebrations were spontaneous and fun!
For me every goal scorer should try to be the best version of Alan Shearer he can be.

(Though I do like Rashford's too. Rather have that than dancing)

Member 125398

Did he get a head point in when that goal was flagged offside the other day? Hope he hasn't broken a spell or anything.

fezzerUTD

Most times I really like Stephen Howson.

Shame some here seem to loathe him.
‘Cause he gets access to players and legends people get j****us and he used to charge foreign fans to come and have a pre game pint with him.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Did he get a head point in when that goal was flagged offside the other day? Hope he hasn't broken a spell or anything.
He did it after the goal was officially awarded.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Sorry nevez, it's rashford's celebration now. He's made it mainstream by doing it regularly and scoring evey week at a popular club. And anyone doing it now it's because they saw rashford do it. Not that it matters either way. But it's literally "copied rashford".
Still don't get it, wasn't this a pretty common/generic celebration for years?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I find it absolutely bizarre that people have a issue with how Rashford chooses to celebrates his goals.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s starting a boyband and one of their lyrics is “You’re out of your mind”

NLunited

It means ‚You are crazy‘. Specifically all the posters who wanted him sold.

ifightdragons

I find it ironic that a celebration that is supposed to signify mental strength and focus, was popularized by a player who, despite his bouts of great goalscoring this season:

1) Goes missing for months every single season since he made his debut.

2) Lacks the tenacity to go hard in ground duels.

3) Will not commit to aerial challenges, like we saw in the final against City when he flat out refused to jump in for a 50/50 aerial duel, and thus just awarded possession to City for free.

4) Often lacks the aforementioned focus in his decision making; takes on shots when he should pass. Or dribbles straight into defenders and hopeless channels when he should pass. A player with focus and footballing intelligence makes the right choices far more often, than "the man who invented the focus celebration".

I'm not saying he hasn't had a good season. Just that I find his celebration odd. There are countless players with a way tougher and focused mentality than Rashford. Yet, they just perform well on a consistent basis and get on with it.

Rashford is a very good footballer. The technical abilities are certainly there. But one of his worst traits is in my opinion his mental fortitude and decision making. So that celebration doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's as meaningless as it would be like if Antony pointed to his right foot every time he scores.

Just my two cents, I'm sure no one will agree.

Last edited:

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
I find it ironic that a celebration that is supposed to signify mental strength and focus, was popularized by a player who, despite his bouts of great goalscoring this season:

3) Will not commit to aerial challenges, like we saw in the final against City when he flat out refused to jump in for a 50/50 aerial duel, and thus just awarded possession to City for free.

4) Often lacks the aforementioned focus in his decision making; takes on shots when he should pass. Or dribbles straight into defenders and hopeless channels when he should pass. A player with focus and footballing intelligence makes the right choices far more often, than "the man who invented the focus celebration".

I'm not saying he hasn't had a good season. Just that I find his celebration odd. There are countless players with a way tougher and focused mentality than Rashford. Yet, they just perform well on a consistent basis and get on with it.

Rashford is a very good footballer. The technical abilities are certainly there. But one of his worst traits is in my opinion his mental fortitude and decision making. So that celebration doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's as meaningless as it would be like if Antony pointed to his right foot every time he scores.

Perhaps it’s more to do with the need to have focus, acknowledging the frailty and complexity of the human mind and the fact that footballers are human. Rashford managed to control his mind and emotions this season whereas perhaps in previous years he has struggled, as have a number of his friends and colleagues.

criticalanalysis

Can you give me some examples of players like Rashford:

That have started their careers as a youth product and at 18 years old asked to carry the attack at a massive club like Utd. A club, which has also massively underachieved whilst at the same time being an absolutely mess on the pitch (managers with opposite ends of philosophy and quality) and off it (Woodward and Glazers).
Such is the mess at the club that at the relatively really young age of 25, he's still been asked to carried the attack and is one of the most senior players during this whole mess since he's made his debut.

Now I agree Rashford definitely deserves criticism and his game is too wildly inconsistent. He's being handsomely rewarded for the pressure and scrutiny but for the bolded bit, I doubt there are many with 'tougher and focused mentalities' that have had the same level playing field/set of conditions and expectations. I.e For every player that has had good form, they probably had a consistent manager behind them and without the scrutiny of playing at a club like Utd where it's a completely different ball game.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

It's a poxy celebration and he's literally just finished an amazing season. If there was ever a time to have a day off and give it a rest....

Pronewbie

Peep

Rashford's a bit like Rooney isn't he. Goes on a hot streak, struggles for awhile, then celebrates defiantly after scoring a goal.