why does united make everyone miserable

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We seem to have a habit of making everyone involved with the club quite miserable, be it the past managers involved, the failed singings, the youth coming up or just in general anyone with the club, it seems to be endemic at this point.

Some of it is understandable, repeated failures in the past decade for a big club, the bad aura surrounding the ownership etc etc but even then it's a sad state to be in and I doubt any other major European club(your ac milans , juves etc etc and domestically Liverpool) went through such phases this drastic in effect in their wilderness years.

So what is it, are we just a very toxic fan base enveloping the club and adversely affecting the personnel, is it how the club is set up and how could we get better.

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Don’t think it’s the club.

We see more coverage on player mental health now than ever before. These issues may have been apparent in past United generations but not come to light.

Sometimes I also wonder if the granular breakdown of player stats and monitoring technology in coaching and training puts undue pressure on the players rather than facilitate their progress.

Pronewbie

Peep
We seem to have a habit of making everyone involved with the club quite miserable, be it the past managers involved, the failed singings, the youth coming up or just in general anyone with the club, it seems to be endemic at this point.

Some of it is understandable, repeated failures in the past decade for a big club, the bad aura surrounding the ownership etc etc but even then it's a sad state to be in and I doubt any other major European club(your ac milans , juves etc etc and domestically Liverpool) went through such phases this drastic in effect in their wilderness years.

So what is it, are we just a very toxic fan base enveloping the club and adversely affecting the personnel, is it how the club is set up and how could we get better.
The rot starts from the top. That's the problem and also the solution.

TheReligion

Abusive
You say this yet Casemiro and Martinez have arrived and openly love the club, fans and its culture. Eriksen seems rather settled too.

It’s easy to look at negatives, especially when things haven’t been going as well as the club in recent times and with the huge dislike for the owners.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

phelans shorts

In general , I guess most of our players are exposed to Twitter/insta fans so probably them.

That seems to be pretty much it but I do get the feeling that we're even worse than other "big" clubs , maybe I'm just biased dur to being an United fan.
We have more exposure to things going wrong at United because it’s our club, and we have a far larger fanbase just about every other major club, so the issues with the fanbase are magnified massively.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You say this yet Casemiro and Martinez have arrived and openly love the club, fans and its culture. Eriksen seems rather settled too.

It’s easy to look at negatives, especially when things haven’t been going as well as the club in recent times and with the huge dislike for the owners.
I'm speaking on general terms, I love those 2 as well but you can't deny that the club and the atmosphere surrounding it has been a horror show for the past decade.

Real Name

I'm speaking on general terms, I love those 2 as well but you can't deny that the club and the atmosphere surrounding it has been a horror show for the past decade.
It's been getting better for sure since ETH came plus guys like Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen.

Also it looks the worst to you cause you're involved with all things United, surely there are similar things at other big clubs too, 100 percent.

Drizzle

Biggest fanbase in the world, raised on United being dominant and successful. Then introduce a long horrible decade of decline and incredibly divisive ownership. Then add in the fact that our greatest rivals become dominant playing irresistible football. Bingo. Misery all round.

Grande

We just have a few too many fans who are beeing quite miserable at the strangest times.

Gazza

We’ve been devoid of genuine leadership at multiple levels for the last ~9 years, which I think has been far and away the biggest issue. We seem to be moving into a new era in that sense and the signs lately have been positive!

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Biggest fanbase in the world, raised on United being dominant and successful. Then introduce a long horrible decade of decline and incredibly divisive ownership. Then add in the fact that our greatest rivals become dominant playing irresistible football. Bingo. Misery all round.
This exactly

CloneMC16

One of the biggest clubs in the world. The fanbase is huge. The pressure is massive. Even though we've clearly not been in contention to win trophies, the fans still expect the players to win every game. When they don't perform, the players are made well aware of how bad they performed. Many players will be unable to take the pressure and abuse.

Ability will not be enough to make it. You will need mental toughness as well.

EtH

Paying players like they’ve made it before they actually have or at the very least disproportionate to what they’re worth definitely doesn’t help.

bringbackbebe

This is what happens when players stop playing football because they like it and start playing football for the money/pride/fan support/fame.

UpWithRivers

Doesn't help when your idols turn out to be cnts ala Ronaldo and Giggs, Your other idols talk a bunch of sht - keane et al. And your best hope in the academy is also a cnt i.e Greenwood. Then your whole team just downs tools on multiple occasions and fight amongst themselves and talk to the press and create a level of toxicity never seen at another top club. Other clubs go through negative times but no club did the above.

Trex

Woodward era was a vanity project, compare it to SAF ways and ideologies and what ETH seems to be bringing in, things are already getting better.
Persons like Mourinho, Pogba, C Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic were all enticed with the allure of fame and money, the football was always going to suffer in the ego driven project, problem is this persons thought they could combine those vanity with actual football success, turns out it's not possible especially since they don't all pull in the same direction.
We're looking like a football first side at the moment, no one is getting signed for their name/ reputation no one is getting in the team for the name or reputation either.
The Ronaldo saga is only a fall out of the previous leadership decisions and one which was unavoidable, the worst of this is over I think, I don't see any major ego driven individual left at the moment, Ronaldo, Pogba gone.
A team culture is being built now, its going to be a while but the toxicity of Woodward vain project is gone.
The fan base would need to adapt too though.

Nickelodeon

I see comments on the fanbase but its not limited to our club. Almost all the vocal fanbase of any club are morons. Obviously our players get more than their fair share of abuse. But that comes along with playing for a club like United (similar to the exorbitant salaries). The players can quit social media and focus on their game but they wouldn't do that because of the commercial opportunities that come along with it. So blaming the fans for players not doing well is not something I would agree with.

Primarily, it is down to poor decisions since we try and fix everything through shortcuts without addressing the root cause. Reserving judgment on signings this season, all our major signings prior to this year (managers and players) haven't been done while looking at a larger process. Specifically for players, we have never signed a player focusing on the exact nature of their strengths and combining it with our system requirements.

Look at Sancho. He was absolutely the wrong system fit for the style of football we played under Ole. Wan-Bissaka was another poorly researched signing. It's almost like we sign players like signings done in Fifa Manager Mode. You see a position and you see a player with 80-85 overall and just sign them. There are signs of change under ETH but it will be a long drawn out process and there will be mistakes along the way.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

A lack of planning, structure and coherent signing strategy - just all over the place - like overpaying (fees and wage) for players yet to prove themselves in the game, players not fitting different management ideals and philosophies etc and you have a clusterfeck. Brings about lack of motivation, desire, envy within squad. New managers comes in and we tend to start from scratch but with the baggage from the previous manager etc. In a word: Woodward. He was a colossal feck up for the club.

EtH seemingly is trying to put things right with signing players with the right mentality (Antony, Lisandro - yes we overpaid sadly). And he is refusing to hand out contract extensions without players proving themselves (Shaw’s contract and DDG’s as an example). He’s seemingly not afraid to drop anyone who doesn’t meet his standards and is addressing other issues (Sancho as an example - whatever he’s going through). So let’s hope all this toxicity goes away within another couple of windows.

Stacks

You think the players are on redcafe? United fans are some of the most supportive in the world. Failed managers get standing ovations when they return. This is self riteous thread

Møllemanden

Once a football club becomes a part of your identity, you suffer and celebrate with it. Weirdly, it's like having another family member. Sometimes they're incredibly annoying but you love them anyway because of how they make you feel.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It seems that nowadays toxic this and toxic that is the answer to all questions and problems.

Maybe it's because we've been shit for years, run awfully and sign players that cannot cut it either mentally, physically or both.

The latest episode with Sancho is a perfect example. Mental health is important but the guy is on stupid money and is, generally speaking, in an enviable position where he can take time off his proper job and still earn more in a week that some earn in 10 years.

Together with the above, I do not believe he's been criticised anywhere near as heavily by anyone in our actual fanbase (rival fans can go do one) and we still have people coming out with this toxic fanbase bullshit.

A bit of introspection might be good for some of these people (players and managers, alike) and if there ever was someone to show them how it's done, you only have to listen to EtH's pressers.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't really know about United making people miserable but one of the reasons I started understanding why players liked Raiola was when Maxwell explained that he was really down when he was at Barcelona and Raiola would randomly fly to Barcelona to spend some time with him. I also seem to remember that Ronaldo did that for Nani.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You think the players are on redcafe? United fans are some of the most supportive in the world. Failed managers get standing ovations when they return. This is self riteous thread
Our match going fans are mostly pretty great and I respect them fo that.

Red cafe is pretty good too actually, I mostly meant twitter and Instagram where most player seem spend their time on.

TheReligion

Abusive
It seems that nowadays toxic this and toxic that is the answer to all questions and problems.

Maybe it's because we've been shit for years, run awfully and sign players that cannot cut it either mentally, physically or both.

The latest episode with Sancho is a perfect example. Mental health is important but the guy is on stupid money and is, generally speaking, in an enviable position where he can take time off his proper job and still earn more in a week that some earn in 10 years.

Together with the above, I do not believe he's been criticised anywhere near as heavily by anyone in our actual fanbase (rival fans can go do one) and we still have people coming out with this toxic fanbase bullshit.

A bit of introspection might be good for some of these people (players and managers, alike) and if there ever was someone to show them how it's done, you only have to listen to EtH's pressers.
You don’t think part of the fanbase is toxic?

Your tag suggests you wanted the players fined for winning away from home. You also seem fixated on money..

Perhaps you don’t see it because you are it? Hate to break it to you!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Our match going fans are mostly pretty great and I respect them fo that.

Red cafe is pretty good too actually, I mostly meant twitter and Instagram where most player seem spend their time on.
Twitter is a cesspit anyway and Insta is full of the “look at me” types who want instant gratification with everything so they can make posts boasting

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Weird post

Sacked managers and failed signings at every club are likely to moan

And yes the likes of Liverpool, Milan and Juve had it just as bad, if not worse, for many years

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
And what's more, it doesn't bode well for our Carabao Cup game, because misery loves Kompany.

Someone

Something
This a top club that failed to achieve anything significant for a long time. The expectations are always high and most of the players/managers have only know failure being here. Of course it won't be pleasant.

Watch how the mood changes the moment we're successful again. You could already sense that with a lot of players already.

The fan base is generally good compared to other clubs, and you can't judge anything based on social media, only morons and kids would actually bother to go online and attack players.