Why don’t Madrid or Barca ever try & sign City players?

TsuWave

I 've no idea why you find "back-dealing by City" so funny seen as there is so much proof and indusputable evidence of their having paid Mancini multiple wages,they've admitted cheating our fair play rules, they've faked sponsorship deals and being investigated for cooking the books so on.
How naive you are to think they'd never stop so low as to dole out add ons to player's wages.
I don't know why reading comprehension on this forum is so poor right now, maybe its directly correlated to our form on the pitch or something. I didn't say I find theories of "back-dealing by City" funny (nor unfounded btw), I said I find using Ronaldo's transfer from a decade ago as justification/explanation for these theories funny. Especially when they are being used as counter argument to the multitude of reasons as to why players would want to stay at City.

DevilAgeIdiot

I don't know why reading comprehension on this forum is so poor right now, maybe its directly correlated to our form on the pitch or something. I didn't say I find theories of "back-dealing by City" funny (nor unfounded btw), I said I find using Ronaldo's transfer from a decade ago as justification/explanation for these theories funny. Especially when they are being used as counter argument to the multitude of reasons as to why players would want to stay at City.
You said;
"Using his (Ronaldo's) transfer then to justify these “back-dealing by City” theories is funny to me, but please proceed."
I will admit to reading comprehension fail no problem but What then exactly do you mean when you write "justifying these "back-dealing by City" theories is funny.."
As that looks like you are saying there is no City back-dealing, seen as you put it in inverted commas (usually indicating irony), and you follow this with 'theories', which is usually understood as either conspiracies or other fabrications.
Anyway good to hear you are not brainwashed by the UAE PR exercise.

Last edited:

BolehLand

Supports
Valencia
One day, one man city star player told the board ''My dream is to play at Real madrid, I want to go there!''
Board replied ''we will pay you double what Real Madrid pay you!''
Player kiss the badge and said '' I love the club, I will never leave!''

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Barça tried buying Agüero. City said no and they went and got Suarez. Silva said he'd never play for a Spanish club not named Valencia. So they have gone after Man City players

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Barça tried buying Agüero. City said no and they went and got Suarez. Silva said he'd never play for a Spanish club not named Valencia. So they have gone after Man City players
He has often stated that he’d like to end his career at his hometown club (Las Palmas).

When even Leroy Sané is turning down a return home to the biggest club in his country and one of the biggest clubs in the World, you can be absolutely certain that City are paying every single player a Mancini special double-wage :lol:

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
When even Leroy Sané is turning down a return home to the biggest club in his country and one of the biggest clubs in the World, you can be absolutely certain that City are paying every single player a Mancini special double-wage :lol:
It’s pretty widely reported that he’s currently on £60k a week and for the past 18 months has refused to sign a new deal to double his money. If money was his main motivation, then he’s going about it a strange way.

Scaring Europe to Death

Supports
Manchester City
City fan in peace

Regardless of whether the club misled or circumnavigated FFP rules, or even whether FFP is merely a form of glorified protectionism, the original question relates to something slightly different.

Ferguson’s greatest strength was his long term vision, and the uncanny knack of recognising when a player’s hunger might have dipped to an unacceptable level. It was the same with Bob Paisley’s Liverpool, and both dynasties prospered until those values were compromised, and players were signed for short term gain (Van Persie being a relatively recent example)

It’s also worth remembering that City were ridiculed in the immediate post-takeover period for being a “Rich Man’s Plaything”, with the echoes of “Money can’t buy success” reverberating around radio phone-ins and sneering newspaper columns.

The problem for non-City fans was that the club knew exactly what they were doing:

Short-term vision: To sign Aguero you need Tevez, but to sign Tevez you need Adebayor and Robinho

Mid-term vision: To win trophies and qualify for the self-perpetuating riches of the Champions League.

Long-term vision: To become self-sustaining.

Again, what fans of other clubs can’t accept is that regardless of what happened ten years ago, City are now self-sustaining, with only Mahrez purchased in the last two transfer windows (and largely funded by the sales of Diaz, ,Gunn, Maffeo, and Rotondo.

As for the wages/transfer fees, City were outbid for Sanchez (United), Fred (United), Jorginho (Chelsea,) and Van Dijk (Liverpool).
To say, that the club has bottomless pockets is frankly absurd.

Instead, just take away, the shy blue or red bias, and the club are simply copying what Ferguson did for so many years.

Three years ago, Bernardo was unproven, Sterling a figure of hate, and De Bruyne a football misfit. Al three have since prospered, but that’s down to quality coaching rather than extortionate wages.

Barcelona or Madrid might still come knocking but let’s see.

tomaldinho1

Established how?
I think most people now assume this because of Mancini's 'double' salary. In honesty, I think most of us (including the City fans who come onto this forum) likely suspect there's something extra going on behind the scenes because it's as if Real and Barca just ignore City, even though for the last ~5 seasons they've definitely had the best players.

What I think is most likely is there are under the table payments happening all over the world of football, it's just the sums of money to players at City are bigger.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think most people now assume this because of Mancini's 'double' salary. In honesty, I think most of us (including the City fans who come onto this forum) likely suspect there's something extra going on behind the scenes because it's as if Real and Barca just ignore City, even though for the last ~5 seasons they've definitely had the best players.

What I think is most likely is there are under the table payments happening all over the world of football, it's just the sums of money to players at City are bigger.
Wouldn't it be tax evasion if you're not paying taxes on the income paid under the table? Hard to see how one conceals that.

diarm

Wouldn't it be tax evasion if you're not paying taxes on the income paid under the table? Hard to see how one conceals that.
When you own a middle eastern country you have methods and means to do things with money that regular people and companies cannot. How did Qatar bribe their way to a world cup without the tax man knowing?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
When you own a middle eastern country you have methods and means to do things with money that regular people and companies cannot. How did Qatar bribe their way to a world cup without the tax man knowing?
Are bribes paid by a Qatari citizen taxable by HRMC? I imagine this example is different from Sterling stashing away an extra 50k per week in the mattress.

cc @Rado_N

MonkeysMagic

... City are now self-sustaining....

Oh come on now, even the most blinkered city fan can see right through the exorbitant 'sponsorship' deals emanating out of UAE to prop up the 'self-sustaining' funds.

soaphroniscuss

City fan in peace

Regardless of whether the club misled or circumnavigated FFP rules, or even whether FFP is merely a form of glorified protectionism, the original question relates to something slightly different.

Ferguson’s greatest strength was his long term vision, and the uncanny knack of recognising when a player’s hunger might have dipped to an unacceptable level. It was the same with Bob Paisley’s Liverpool, and both dynasties prospered until those values were compromised, and players were signed for short term gain (Van Persie being a relatively recent example)

It’s also worth remembering that City were ridiculed in the immediate post-takeover period for being a “Rich Man’s Plaything”, with the echoes of “Money can’t buy success” reverberating around radio phone-ins and sneering newspaper columns.

The problem for non-City fans was that the club knew exactly what they were doing:

Short-term vision: To sign Aguero you need Tevez, but to sign Tevez you need Adebayor and Robinho

Mid-term vision: To win trophies and qualify for the self-perpetuating riches of the Champions League.

Again, what fans of other clubs can’t accept is that regardless of what happened ten years ago, City are now self-sustaining, with only Mahrez purchased in the last two transfer windows (and largely funded by the sales of Diaz, ,Gunn, Maffeo, and Rotondo.

As for the wages/transfer fees, City were outbid for Sanchez (United), Fred (United), Jorginho (Chelsea,) and Van Dijk (Liverpool).

Instead, just take away, the shy blue or red bias, and the club are simply copying what Ferguson did for so many years.

Three years ago, Bernardo was unproven, Sterling a figure of hate, and De Bruyne a football misfit. Al three have since prospered, but that’s down to quality coaching rather than extortionate wages.

It's not self-sustaining until it has been "sustained", so to speak. Two transfer windows is nothing. Let's see what happens when Pep leaves.

diarm

Are bribes paid by a Qatari citizen taxable by HRMC? I imagine this example is different from Sterling stashing away an extra 50k per week in the mattress.

cc @Rado_N
It depends on where and to who they are paid. £50k per week could be deposited for Raheem Sterling into a Seychellois or Panamanian bank without HRMC ever finding out.

Falcow

Calling city self sustaining club is like saying Tony Soprano is a legitimate business man.

If I made 100m from selling heroin and then used that money to buy a few hotels would I then be considered a legitimate business man even if 10 years had passed since I purchased the hotels?

No is the answer.....in case anyone wasnt sure

United Hobbit

I've noticed similar with some of Liverpool's players I know Barca got Coutinho but if I were Madrid or even Barca I'd be throwing £££'s at them for the likes of Mane & Salah, Mane in particular

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I've noticed similar with some of Liverpool's players I know Barca got Coutinho but if I were Madrid or even Barca I'd be throwing £££'s at them for the likes of Mane & Salah, Mane in particular
This applies to all clubs with money. There isn't actually a lot of activity between them because the clubs dont need the money and players get similar wages. And the premium that you are going to pay is generally not for it which is why they all prey on the club below them financially and competitively.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
If there isn’t a big club rush for KDB in particular I’d be staggered. Surely Zidane would push for him in Madrid’s midfield

Decomposing In Paris

City fan in peace

De Bruyne was one of the most exciting players in Germany when City paid £68m for him 5 years ago.

Bernardo Silva had just been the creative spark that took Monaco deep into the Champions League. You paid £45m for him.

Sterling was bought for £57m in 2015 having established himself as one of the most talented young attackers in the country while playing for a rival.

Sorry, what was your point about taking these unproven, misfit, figures of hate... and turning it around for them with a bit of good old stand here, shoot like this, & you can do this boys?

You are Manchester City, not the Mighty Ducks.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
We've lost plenty of our top players all the way through to around 2017 - just in the last 15 seasons:
Owen
Alonso
Mascherano
Torres
Suarez
Sterling
Coutinho

Since then there have been rumours (there's always stuff about Salah and Mane), now there's rumours about VVD too.