Why don't our players score hat-tricks anymore?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Lukaku's donkeyness extended the 'no league hat-trick' run to 198 games last time around. But that was the closest we've been to a hat-trick since Fergie left so the signs were good vs Burnley. Could this be season we get one?

PvsNP

Lukaku's donkeyness extended the 'no league hat-trick' run to 198 games last time around. But that was the closest we've been to a hat-trick since Fergie left so the signs were good vs Burnley. Could this be season we get one?
I guarantee we'll get at least one this season.

robinrooney

Lukaku had umpteen chances to get one last game. He will get a hat-trick soon. But the next one will probably be 3 Fellaini headers

Reddevildans

I remember how often Rooney scored a brace before being taken off 20mins before time when it's probably the best time to score against a chasing team. That certainly doesn't help. The lack of hatricks probably reflects a lack of ruthlessness, poor finishing, and poor creativity.

Samid

211 league games since the last one. Can Ole manage what the three managerial failures before him couldn't?

Craig Ward

Under Jose - we didn't set out to attack.

Scoring 1 goal often seems a struggle, yet alone 3

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
211 league games since the last one. Can Ole manage what the three managerial failures before him couldn't?
Wow, 211?! That’s shocking

Walters_19_MuFc

Need to have three shots for that. Hoping whatever system or style of play Ole brings to United will result in plenty of goals.

JmRssll555

I think this unwanted run is closely linked to our other shocking post-Fergie run of not having scored 5 goals in a league game. When we start scoring more freely, we'll probably see a hat-trick follow. Ideally, I'd like to see both records end at the same time!

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I mean we hardly ever score 3 goals a game let alone 3 goals by one individual.

Hopefully the baby faced assassin can change that!

Samid

Who had the last hat trick for us? Was it Kagawa against Norwich?
In the league it was RVP to seal the title vs Villa. All comps Ibra.

Hat-tricks for United in all competitions since the start of 09/10 season:
Code:
+--------+-----+----------------------+
| Season | HTs | Players              |
| 09/10  |  3  | 2xRooney, Owen       |
| 10/11  |  4  | 3xBerbatov, Rooney   |
| 11/12  |  3  | 2xRooney, Berbatov   |
| 12/13  |  3  | 2xvan Persie, Kagawa |
| 13/14  |  1  | van Persie           |
| 14/15  |  0  |                      |
| 15/16  |  1  | Rooney               |
| 16/17  |  1  | Ibrahimovic          |
| 17/18  |  0  |                      |
| 18/19  |  0  |                      |

Schneckerl

Interesting stat.
16 in the past 10 seasons. I wonder how many seasons you have to go back to equal Messi's or Cristiano's career hattricks.

Maticmaker

We've hardly been making/taking enough chances to score three goals in a match by any player, let alone three scored by one player; hopefully things will improve under Ole?

John Blund

To score a hat-trick the team actually have to score more than 2 goals a game. This season, we've only done that once in PL.
Parking the bus at 0-0, praying for a corner on a counter-attack clearly isn't the way to go.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Parking the bus at 0-0, praying for a corner on a counter-attack clearly isn't the way to go.
Especially when we are the worst counter attacking side in the league. Not exactly good at corners either.

Rafaeldagold

Does it really matter? It just seems like another stat to have a go at us about. Every outfield player could score 2 each & we win 20-0 yet with this stat we’ll still have a negative.

Shark

@NotShark
I guarantee we’ll have a hat trick from someone under Ole. It’s between Sanchez, Rashford, Martial and Pogba.

KennyBurner

Mods is there a way to conduct bets on the caf regarding who will have the first hattrick under Ole?

AgentP

I guarantee we’ll have a hat trick from someone under Ole. It’s between Sanchez, Rashford, Martial and Pogba.
Everyone's going to be surprised when Lukaku gets the first hat trick. In our squad, he is the one who has got the most hat tricks(not sure how many). In this style, we'll create chances for our forwards and Lukaku can definitely benefit from it.

AgentP

Does it really matter? It just seems like another stat to have a go at us about. Every outfield player could score 2 each & we win 20-0 yet with this stat we’ll still have a negative.
It doesn't actually matter who scores as long as we get the goals. But in the course of a season, when a team is playing good attacking football, you expect the main striker to atleast get one hat trick. It's similar to the five goal stats. A good attacking team is bound to score 5 atleast once a season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I suspect if anyone does it'll be Lukaku

Sanchez, Rashford and Martial all tend to get their goals in ones and a hat trick for a midfielder isn't something that happens often which would rule Pogba out imo

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Pogba and Martial are hitting great form, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them score in the next week or two

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Salah was having a poor season until he scored a hat trick against Bournemouth now he's in everyone's team of the season

Kane has built his top scorer status on bagging hat tricks in the last few games of a season

Hattrick have a real knack of skewing peoples perceptions