Why don't our players score hat-tricks anymore?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The simple answer to this is that we’ve simply been awful at attacking for 5 years. No plan and it the tactics haven’t allowed us to create decent chances for forwards.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The simple answer to this is that we’ve simply been awful at attacking for 5 years. No plan and it the tactics haven’t allowed us to create decent chances for forwards.
Yep, I was extremely surprised Ibra didn't get one against a shithouse side. Hopefully now due to the sheer number of chances we're creating it might happen!

Janson

This is the biggest issue we have right now, that we haven't got a hattrick in a long time. Imagine all the extra points that you get for hattricks we could've had.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is the biggest issue we have right now, that we haven't got a hattrick in a long time. Imagine all the extra points that you get for hattricks we could've had.
Way to miss the point.

It clearly shows we haven’t scored enough goals. Usually a team thats scoring plenty will have somebody get one eventually.

AaronRedDevil

Because every time the player gets 2 goals. They always get subbed off. Happens a lot in this club.

Canagel

Because we've been a poor attacking team for 5 years.
Two legacies of Moyes, LVG and Mourinho.
1) None of them could get the team to score 5 goals
2) no hatricks

OldPop

Interesting statistics, it tells a lot about how it has been and many have already explained what this is due to.

Another thing that may have contributed is the number of penalties that we have been awarded. The feeling is that it has become considerably fewer, which in that case affects the number of hat trick and also tells some about the attack game.

Are there such statistics as well? If so, it would be interesting to take part of it.

Janson

Way to miss the point.

It clearly shows we haven’t scored enough goals. Usually a team thats scoring plenty will have somebody get one eventually.
It's hardly rocket science that you need to score more to get a hattrick. I just don't see the point of the thread. It's not like people haven't figured out that we haven't been scoring enough.

OldPop

It's hardly rocket science that you need to score more to get a hattrick. I just don't see the point of the thread. It's not like people haven't figured out that we haven't been scoring enough.
The point is that some think it may be interesting to discuss, and then it's good to start with facts that perhaps everyone did not know existed.

witchtrials

Yep, I was extremely surprised Ibra didn't get one against a shithouse side. Hopefully now due to the sheer number of chances we're creating it might happen!
Didn't he get a scratchy hat trick against St Etienne?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Our forwards haven’t scored hatricks because up to two games ago we only created about five chances a bloody game.

RedStarUnited

Feels like Pogba has had a lot of doubles for us in the last 2 years. 3 alone this calendar year.

We are reliant on goals across the team at the moment. We need that focal point striker who bags 20+ per season, when we get that we will start getting hattricks again. RVP is the last one we had. Rashford could be the guy if he keeps this form up all season though I'm not sure he's got the finishing for it.

KennyBurner

Second time this season he has cheated lukaku out of a hat trick. Needs to stop stat padding and give it to someone else from time to time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Second time this season he has cheated lukaku out of a hat trick. Needs to stop stat padding and give it to someone else from time to time.
Lukaku was never a good penalty taker though. Still remember he missed some of his takers when he was at Everton and he let Baines to take it since then.

yfoFC

Lukaku was never a good penalty taker though. Still remember he missed some of his takers when he was at Everton and he let Baines to take it since then.
No one's saying be should be first choice taker but no reason he can't take them when he's on a hatrick, Pogba is just plain stingy.

Walters_19_MuFc

In hindsight Pogba should have given the pen to Lukaku, but Pogba is the designated penalty taker and is within his rights to take it if he wanted it.

Halftrack

In hindsight Pogba should have given the pen to Lukaku, but Pogba is the designated penalty taker and is within his rights to take it if he wanted it.
In Lukaku's post match interview, he said he wanted Pogba to take it. Could just be him being diplomatic, of course.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Lukaku is just as shit at pens as Pogba is so meh

Camilo

I don't understand the hatrick thing. It's pretty meaningless...

AndyJ1985

Almost 6 years without anyone in our team scoring a hatrick is shameful. But looking at how piss poor and boring the last 6 years have been it's not really surprising.

Borden

We were leading 3-2, and Saints looked dangerous all game. In this situation the best penalty taker (which is Pogba) should take it, period.

Why do people even care about hat-tricks?

Adcuth

Out of interest, who do we think is actually our best penalty taker? I'd think Martial would be pretty good, he has decent shot accuracy and keeps a cool head. Has he taken one for us before?

Edit.

Just checked and he has scored 5 out of the 6 he has taken since joining us. 2 in the league, 2 in the EL and 1 in the CL. Also missed one in the CL against Benfica

Canagel

Out of interest, who do we think is actually our best penalty taker? I'd think Martial would be pretty good, he has decent shot accuracy and keeps a cool head. Has he taken one for us before?
at City this season . The best taker of all might be Herrera. he took two penalties for us and each one was rifled into the top corner.

Rockets Redglare

A confident striker would’ve snatched the ball off Pogba and taken it.

Although Pogba missed, I get the feeling he’s 100 times more confident in his abilities than Lukaku.

vodrake

I don't really get why some think it's shameful or embarrassing that we haven't scored hattricks. As long as we win it doesn't really matter how the goals are spread. I see it as a fairly meaningless statistic just for stroking a players ego or for fantasy league players to bash themselves off over

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Tomorrow will complete our sixth consecutive season without a league hat-trick. 232 games.

Tomorrow will also see our last hat-trick scorer in the league retire from football. He left the club four years ago.