Why don't our players score hat-tricks anymore?

FujiVice

Seems to be the longest period in our history that we've gone without scoring a hatrick in the league. Unless you count the period the league shut down for World War 2.

cyril C

Don't know why people are chanting for hat trick. Our attackers are so inconsistent that even if we get 4 penalty award, we would probably miss 2 of them if not more. And this is just about free gift, open play etc. would be 1 out of 5. We need to create 10 chances before we can score a goal or 2, so work out how many chances we need to create in order to score 4 goals or more....

BTW, Lukaku scored 1, assist 2, plus 2 goals over-ruled. We sold out hat trick man....

RedWat

Well one of the reasons of course post SAF is the alarming drop of goal output and win rate in the league. We scored 86 goals in SAF last season (2012/13) with a 73% win rate. subsequent seasons saw our goal scored rate drop dramatically from 86 to between 49 and 62 goals and win rate drop from 73% to around 50% ( Jose’s season finishing 2nd was slightly higher with 68 goals scored and 65% win rate) .

Add this to the pragmatic nature of the managers post Fergie who never seemed to be overly interested in attaining a high goal difference but would rather “shut up shop” after acquiring a 2 or 3 goal lead . How many games in the league post Fergie have Utd scored 4 or more goals ????

jasT1981

Simple reason, the player scoring 2 never finishes the game. Every time we get a player scoring 2 they are subbed without fail. I can't remember the last time a player who started the game and scored two was on the pitch at the full-time whistle.

El Zoido

What was Rashford doing at the end there? One touch in to space then drill it!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I don't understand why Rashford didn't just smash it, the keeper is suspect and probably would have fumbled it again.

Alas, the drought continues

Josep Dowling

I really thought Rashford was going to do it when he was clean through, then he just stopped. If he ran straight at goal he probably would have scored

RedWat

Simple reason, the player scoring 2 never finishes the game. Every time we get a player scoring 2 they are subbed without fail. I can't remember the last time a player who started the game and scored two was on the pitch at the full-time whistle.
Last Night :)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rashford scored 2 and hit the bar in the game
Pogba scored 2 and hit the post (vs Bournemouth or Huddersfield) last season.
Lukaku scored 2 and we got penalty which Pogba took .

I thought Rashford will finally break it vs Spurs when he had whole half to score 1.

Craig Ward

Rashford should have had it, just stopped when it looked like he was clean through. think Ole's right with our forwards, they need to learn to love scoring.

Wont get a better chance when on 2 goals than that

Red Royal

Rashford should have had it, just stopped when it looked like he was clean through. think Ole's right with our forwards, they need to learn to love scoring.

Wont get a better chance when on 2 goals than that
His 1st touch was off and took him wide. Pity as he deserved it.

boldoo

Aguero alone scored 10 league hat tricks, Kane scored 8 league hat tricks during our drought :(

El Zoido

We constantly take off the player on two goals. I’d love to see the stats on how many times this has happened.

Josep Dowling

I knew the minute he got two that he would be subbed off. I can understand the manager taking him off considering the games we have coming up.

It must be frustrating as a player though. The likes of Salah, Mané and Firmino are rarely subbed off and play pretty much every game.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Why do we score so many hat-tricks? Average one a game over the last couple of days.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Had to be him that broke the curse. A player many don't even consider a striker.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I'll put these here for posterity :D

Man Utd 1:0 Sheffield Utd - Martial (7')

Man Utd 2:0 Sheffield Utd - Martial (43')

Man Utd 3:0 Sheffield Utd - Martial (74')

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Because we haven’t had a good creative side to make enough chances for a hattrick. Now we do.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Because we haven’t had a good creative side to make enough chances for a hattrick. Now we do.
Yeah no real coincidence that it came the first time Pogba and Bruno started together. Honestly I find it mind-boggling how we've neglected our creativity issues for so long. This goes back a decade. Never mind failing to replace Ronaldo, we didn't even make an effort to replace the likes of Giggs and Scholes.

Pep gave us the midfield creativity blueprint (Xavi+Iniesta) when he schooled us in two CL finals. He has done the same in the past few years with Silva+KDB while making a mockery of the PL. Meanwhile it took us the best part of a decade to realise that two creative and allround midfielders in the same team will help break down low block defences.