Why don't we score from corners anymore?

SAFMUTD

I don’t think there’s any strategy besides put it on the box and hope it goes in, I notice the player taking the corners doesn’t show any signs or hand movement, that makes me think there’s no tactic behind it just a simple crossing.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Corner kicks are function of the takers and targets.

That means it involves routine and tactics to increase the already low inherent success rate.
How United do corner kicks lacks the latter.
Hence you see Mata and Pereira who are good set-piece taker appear so bad at them.

It's also hugely beneficial to have multiple targets, not just lump everything to Maguire. Every team knows what's up every time United get a corner.

Last edited by a moderator:

croadyman

Mainly because Pereira is the only person who can deliver a decent corner but doesn't do it often enough

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Our strategy this season has been get it to maguire in far post. That’s it literally.
That's exactly what I was going to say. And it seems as if teams crowd him out and he tends to get called for a foul trying to get through their block. We don't seem to have players making set runs or "setting picks" for teammates like Vidic used to do...btw...it's the 2nd video where the Vidic block is. I guess it wouldn't let me just post that video, but Berbatov's videos are always great to watch when he's commenting on them...:lol::lol::lol:

TRUERED89

We've been good when RVP took them, especially in his first season.

Corners are mostly about delivery.
Nani had good delivery, I remember him whipping in 2 sweet corners for RVP against Southampton, 1 was a last minute winner.

kerryman

Nani had good delivery, I remember him whipping in 2 sweet corners for RVP against Southampton, 1 was a last minute winner.
Even better question...."why don't we score goals?"
We have 13 goals (11 from play) in 11 games this season. Considering 6 of the goals from play came against Chelsea and Norwich that leaves 5 goals from play from the remaining 9 games!!! That is appalling....
At the current rate we'll score 45 goals this season if things don't improve.

We have also conceded 11 goals in 11 games. Going to be hard to pick up wins when our goals scored averages out to be 1.18 goals per game and goals conceded is 1 goal per game....

romufc

We have had chances but we have a heading problem generally in this team.

None of our players can score a header. Martial, Rashford are probably the worst headers of a ball for forwards.

Lindelof doesn't win any.

McTominay is poor at them

Maguire seems to concede a foul everytime or even worse is offside for a freekick.

TRUERED89

Oh I don't know about that. I don't think I've ever seen anyone hit the first man at corners more than Nani, the most frustrating corner taker ever
But we actually scored corners back then, couldn’t have been as bad as it is now. Still better than Rashford, Andreas and Mata at corners, just shows where we are if Nani was sh1t then what are these lot?

Member 119614

I think the team is working on other more pressing problems on the training ground instead of doing set piece variations for now. If confidence is shot I think it's more important to get the basics right. Find some organization (which we're showing improvement on) and finding a way to solve our lack of interplay between attackers and midfield. I feel sorry for Pereira and Fred as he is trying really hard but it's not paying off for now. Perhaps they are not of the required quality but I think we should keep playing them, it can only get better.

Banana Republic

I’d have to go back and check, but IIRC we’ve only scored off one corner in 3 seasons.

Old fashioned, lob the ball in for a header type corners, are a complete waste of possession, particularly with our team.
There’s nothing to celebrate when we win one. It invariably comes to nothing.
It’s pub football, 70’s style.
Do Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Athletico, PSG, Inter etc, lob in the ball when they take corners? No.

I’d rather we either played the ball short off the corner kick and then put some dangerous balls in which our players can attack: or, if we are going to cross the ball in from a corner, some of our players need to be making movements to pull the defence apart and create some space, rather than contributing to overcrowding by dragging their markers and themselves into a virtual roadblock in front of goal.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Any half a decent team would practice taking corners. I don't think we do from the pathetic displays we have seen

Baneofthegame

It’s pretty hard to be good at them when your main corner routine is stand it up for Maguire at the far post.

Foxbatt

Even if all them were playing in the same team if we do not practice getting the ball to them and working a routine, then we will not score. Look at how we used to work on corners with the players blocking the markers etc. Maguire, is a good header of the ball and so is McTominay and Rojo. Pogba is a good header too. Lindelof is not bad at heading at the opposing box. Martial can head too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because Maguire and McTominay miss the sitters provided for them from corners.

Foxbatt

Anyone can miss a sitter. It doesn't mean we should not practice and have variations. Look at Leicster's variations today. They did not score but it was brilliant.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Not so long ago we had Zlatan 6ft 5 Smalling 6,4 Fellaini 6,4 Pogba 6,3 and others around 6ft or over and we still had no success at corners. Now we really only have Maguire plus shocking delivery. I can see us going back to short corners.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Except for Chelsea, Norwich and Partizan we've barely been able to score full stop. Let alone with corners.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The one time we do it's 2 vs 10 in the box :lol:

Slightly misleading as both our CBs were in the by the time the ball got in. (I actually reckon Maguire had a good chance of getting it if Tony hadn't)... But yeah, the fact that it was spontaneous did help greatly.

3 corner goals now is it? All of them short

reddevil80

I don't think Ole has any kind of attacking heading drills in his armoury. So far, from what I can recall, only Pogba and Maguire actually attack the ball with their nappers. Surely the coaches know we have issues in this specific area?

As a matter of course, I used to train my boys twice a month on heading techniques, from the defensive up and under to the attacking over and down. My boys were far from brilliant footballers but those heading drills did actually mean we would win around 80% of our aerial battles.

It isn't hard to introduce heading drills, especially with professionals who train each day. Alongside this, it meant we used the session for our dead ball practicing as well, which also made my boys alot more effective at free kicks and corners and this increased our goals scored ratio.

It is down to basically training players to attack the ball and also making sure the ball is delivered a lot more accurately.

Red00012

I don't think Ole has any kind of attacking heading drills in his armoury. So far, from what I can recall, only Pogba and Maguire actually attack the ball with their nappers. Surely the coaches know we have issues in this specific area?

As a matter of course, I used to train my boys twice a month on heading techniques, from the defensive up and under to the attacking over and down. My boys were far from brilliant footballers but those heading drills did actually mean we would win around 80% of our aerial battles.

It isn't hard to introduce heading drills, especially with professionals who train each day. Alongside this, it meant we used the session for our dead ball practicing as well, which also made my boys alot more effective at free kicks and corners and this increased our goals scored ratio.

It is down to basically training players to attack the ball and also making sure the ball is delivered a lot more accurately.
Martial and Rashford have vastly improved their heading in the last 12-18 months.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

It’s incomparable. Your boys started out at the ground level and you explained them the way that they should do it, which, obviously, led to a huge bump in their success rate. Do you think that professional footballers don’t know the basic principles and techniques? To improve on their level, you have to spend much more time and energy on training.

A-man

How many goals have United scored from corners so far this season? 3-4?

Foxbatt

The one time we do it's 2 vs 10 in the box :lol:

It is because Mata confused everyone including the referee and our players and of course the Norwich players. Martial is facing away from the ball, so is the the Norwich number 2, and AWB. The referee is also just walking and so is Rashford. The Norwich defenders are switched off because Maguire and Lindelof are still outside their box and still running. It was a good tactics. :lol: We should take more corners like this. Before the CBs arrive.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I can’t wait to see us scoring from corner more frequently now. Hopefully, Bruno can make the difference.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why don’t we take a direct corner anymore? Seriously, what’s the point of passing it back to another of your team mate if at the end you will be closed down and won’t be able to deliver the ball. Just take direct corner and don’t waste it, may be we can start scoring from corner if we take it directly.

jasT1981

I think this thread needs renamed 'Why don't we score anymore?'

Not scored in last 3 league games, and only once in last 5.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There is no such a better bromance story than Bruno corner and Maguire goal.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Brunoooooooo :drool:

That Bailly block for Maguire as well. Very nice.

cyril C

There is no such a better bromance story than Bruno corner and Maguire goal.
Apart from delivery and taker, I also noticed Bailly's role on the goal. He shielded Maguire initially, then rush to the front post to create space. A much missed team goal.

MUFC07

I can't believe I'm such a vintage Cafe user I remember the original "we don't score from corners anymore" thread.

Good days.